Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is Chemical Bliss (the tech) entirely useless if I don't have Utopia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Basically already said, but my biggest disappointment is that the ''megastructures' need to appear much, much earlier and have a build up. It would be amazing if Stellaris integrated something akin to EUIV's development mechanic which seems to do a pretty good job of balancing tall vs. wide- Give enough advantages for someone not expanding that can be spent to directly increase power. Build it around something that makes small space civs super hard to crack, but also difficult to project force.

I don't think the game has enough pieces to get there yet, though. Maybe if we had a lovely version of a habitat that worked like a frontier outpost and didn't cost influence but got treated more like a planet for the purposes of borders and that?

I'm not sure. I'd dig something that allowed me to play a crazy micro game and turtle up instead of conquering half the galaxy with max resources while biding time until I can fight FEs or crises.

Chomp8645 posted:

How appropriate, a sentient robot posting in the Stellaris thread.

Lmao

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is Chemical Bliss (the tech) entirely useless if I don't have Utopia?
The 1.5.1 hotfix notes said this was a bug/unintended. Supposedly it should be fixed now, though I'm guessing the fix might not apply to 1.5.0 saves?

EDIT: Unrelated, I managed to get over my "can't play pacifists" hangup. I just have to remind myself "Just because we're pacifists doesn't mean we can't be assholes." Fanatic authoritarian pacifist campaign ho!

EDIT 2: On the other hand I've just played for like 180 years without a single war so maybe I'll do this pacifist thing later afterall

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 13, 2017

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I haven't gotten around to it, but I'm pretty sure if you do some stuff like take charismatic (+15 helps off-set people being mad about you having slaves) and diplomacy you can work your way up to getting migration treaties, then lure people into a nice world before you revoke their rights and send them to the mines. Harmony tree would be a good follow-up, more anti-unrest and +happiness to offset factions being mad.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ZypherIM posted:

I haven't gotten around to it, but I'm pretty sure if you do some stuff like take charismatic (+15 helps off-set people being mad about you having slaves) and diplomacy you can work your way up to getting migration treaties, then lure people into a nice world before you revoke their rights and send them to the mines.

otoh this can trigger a rare event where all your leaders' firstborn sons get killed by the shroud, so watch out

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are there any mods that give planets defenses? It would be cool to have a building that produces an endless stream of fighters and bombers.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

otoh this can trigger a rare event where all your leaders' firstborn sons get killed by the shroud, so watch out

i want this to be true now

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
What exactly happens if you genetically modify some but not all members of a species? Are the modified one treated as a new species?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They are, yes. Xenophile/Xenophobe modifiers come into play as well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The AI always seems perfectly capable of taking out my fleet and my starbases with early destroyer navies. :(

Well, yes.

Quite apart from Torpedoes, Destroyers mean you have a Large slot option in the front of them to use to burn down Starbases. Certainly, the fleet may die itself doing so, but a fleet of about 15-ish of them, presuming you went all-in? Nasty. And you've still got two small or one medium in the back.

And the AI regularly builds over-capacity for the sake of war(So it might not be 15, but 20-30, or just the 15+Corvettes). And that's presuming it's not an Advanced Start which starts with a fleet and several planets already.

quote:

Are there any mods that give planets defenses? It would be cool to have a building that produces an endless stream of fighters and bombers.

Funny you should say that.

The person who made this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=885722613&tscn=1492051286

Has also put out this as experimental just now:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904137381

Now, it's still linked to the Starbase, but given it's event-driven, I imagine it could be modified to check for a planetary building.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 13, 2017

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
So my friend and I are playing the latest version with the latest DLC but no mods at all. We're later in the game and he has upgraded a bunch of his ships.

After finishing this he was very disappointed to see them not really much stronger. We took a close look and under Ship Modifiers he has a bunch of debuffs: -50% Shield Strength, -90% Weapon Damage, etc.

What the hell are these coming from? We cannot figure out why this is happening or where these debuffs are coming from.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Darius099 posted:

So my friend and I are playing the latest version with the latest DLC but no mods at all. We're later in the game and he has upgraded a bunch of his ships.

After finishing this he was very disappointed to see them not really much stronger. We took a close look and under Ship Modifiers he has a bunch of debuffs: -50% Shield Strength, -90% Weapon Damage, etc.

What the hell are these coming from? We cannot figure out why this is happening or where these debuffs are coming from.

is he on 0 minerals/energy?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Is he running a deficit and can't pay for his ships in Energy or Minerals and his stocks are empty? That slaps a massive set of negative modifiers to your colonies and ships. -50% across the board,

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I so did not think to ask him that. That's totally what it was.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Core worlds chat: maybe it's the CK2 reflexes kicking in, but I always end up keeping my core worlds as those that are clustered together around my homeworld so there's less ground to cover. I suspect this is not optimal and I should instead be designating my biggest producers irrespective of where they are. How do other people handle this?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Beefeater1980 posted:

Core worlds chat: maybe it's the CK2 reflexes kicking in, but I always end up keeping my core worlds as those that are clustered together around my homeworld so there's less ground to cover. I suspect this is not optimal and I should instead be designating my biggest producers irrespective of where they are. How do other people handle this?

Physical proximity doesn't matter; your core worlds are all in the outliner and it's much easier to click/work on them from there. If you don't have the outliner turned on, do so ASAP. I can't imagine playing without easy access to all that information in one place.

Also RE: achievements, they totally work now. I got the Piercing the Shroud one on the game I started after the patch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Core worlds tend to start as the most proximate ones. But I'll replace them with planets/systems I intend to really specialize into something or other, because I don't trust sectors to do so.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Well I officially don't get combat anymore. Was fighting an early war. They had blue lasers, I had level coil guns. 1.5k of their corvettes absolutely annihilates 1.4k of my heavily level 1 shielded corvettes. I jump out at 500 and they are down to 1.2. Ok, that's a little odd, their penalty to my shields should have made that a much closer fight.

Throw some more shields on the destroyers I built up and go back for some vengence. Gunship bow and stern, 3 medium level 1 shields. 1.6k of their corvettes vs 1.4k of my destroyers. Just watched them burn through my entire fleet because this game is toast, and they are down to 1.2k.

The only funky think I can see is that they have a level 4 admiral vs my level 2. Does the level of your general basically outweigh anything else in combat? Did lasers get a crazy buff?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Also look at their govt type and civics. I have no idea if all the various boosts are accounted for in fleet strength or not, but he could pretty easily have like 15% fire rate over you or something like that. At least at level 1 (red/mass drivers) lasers have about a 15% accuracy advantage over kinetics as well.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Level of your admiral at baseline mods your fire rate up. I wanna say 5% per level(Given I'm playing a game now and it's 5% at level 1).

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I have the rare tech available for chemical bliss, but why would I ever want to do that? Why would I want my dudes to be happy and absolutely poo poo at doing everything?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Chemical bliss is great for something like domestic slaves, or livestock. On the other hand, unrest is not tuned super great as far as I can tell, so the cost to just make enough defensive armies could be cheaper.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Definitely use chemical bliss on pops you've modded to be delicious. They'll be begging you to eat them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My musing-in-the-shower idea for fixing megastructures/making them useful: they're open to everyone at a certain tech level, albeit at an exorbitant price tag, with all current benefits. In addition, finishing one unlocks an ascension perk slot. Today, I am a genius.

Or, I dunno, just give them some ludicrously broken unique abilities or something.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Quoting this just to get your attention:

I don't know if you have PMs, but I sent you one regarding some changes I wanted to make to my empires included in the mod.

In case you don't, I guess it would just be a matter of posting the updated empire entries from my user_empire_designs.txt, right?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Just had the Dathnak ask to be moved to a new world. I hadn't scanned the new one yet, so while moving them there, one of my other science ships decided to give it a scan, to find that one of its moons was going to impact, after the Dathnak have been moved there :allears:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ZypherIM posted:

Chemical bliss is great for something like domestic slaves, or livestock. On the other hand, unrest is not tuned super great as far as I can tell, so the cost to just make enough defensive armies could be cheaper.

I recall reading that it can't be used for livestock or slaves or people being purged.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Too many god drat core worlds

Trying to manage loving twenty planets is impossible

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Too many god drat core worlds

Trying to manage loving twenty planets is impossible

Yeah, I don't care how big my core sector size gets, anything except for like the best 4-5 get thrown in a sector and efficiency be damned.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
What kind of empires do you guys usually see come out on top of the AI pile?

I don't know if it's a fluke, but in my games, by the time in midgame when it's clear which empires are successful, there's a pretty clear pattern. Aggressive militarists founder badly and friendly, peaceful empires that didn't get rushed are the strongest - and then they team up, too. It seems the AI is quite competent at the liberate-integrate playstyle and knows how to take advantage of multiculturalism to get swole. Which is nice, but it really makes games settle into a bit of a hugbox if I'm playing a nice guy too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
dunno if this is new or just something I haven't seen before, but I found an FE located in a ruined Sol system, with the FE Mushrooms living on Mars. wonder what went on down there back in the day.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I made a little mod that halves all megastructure build times and costs, and doubles Dyson sphere output. It actually feels worth building now, although I think doubling the Dyson sphere energy production might have made it a bit too powerful. Perhaps a 50% boost would work better.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

uber_stoat posted:

dunno if this is new or just something I haven't seen before, but I found an FE located in a ruined Sol system, with the FE Mushrooms living on Mars. wonder what went on down there back in the day.

Something along these lines I reckon

quote:

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger, or thought of them only to dismiss the idea of life upon them as impossible or improbable. It is curious to recall some of the mental habits of those departed days. At most terrestrial men fancied there might be other men upon Mars, perhaps inferior to themselves and ready to welcome a missionary enterprise. Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Remember when I mentioned I might look into habitats/bonuses:

That was surprisingly easy to get working.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Nah, I don't have friends to brag to about achievements so it can't be that. I think it's just nice to have something pop-up and say you did something neat, it's ego stroking, but I really don't think there's any social component to it.
My take on it is that if you're the sort of person who loves to brag/show off achievements in games, you probably don't have many friends to brag about it to. No one likes that crap.

In games like Skyrim you could get achievements even using console commands or mods, and if you're doing cheat mods to get achievements you're only really cheating yourself anyway.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So I never did have a great grasp of how to design ships in this game, but am I right in thinking that battleships are worthless? They're expensive, slow, easily countered by cheaper ships, and the kind of things that warrant their heavy firepower (leviathans, etc.) can oneshot them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

One minor problem with One with Nature. EXP gain for clearing a tile blocker is based on the cost of the clearing. With the cost removed, your governor gets nothing. This is, of course, not a concern if you don't care about that(Which is reasonable).

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rahh, the sectors still seem screwed. For whatever reason, my sector constantly toggles between this 0 food and -51 food.

Like, every couple seconds it will switch, and it is constantly draining all of my food. My people are now starving.

Also, for whatever reason 'balanced' seems to mean spamming power plants everywhere and giving me practically no minerals or food. They are set to ignore tile resources, and to allow redevelopment.

I don't know what they are doing.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 13, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's always Steam Achievement Manager. I can't remember which game now, but I used it to unlock one that didn't drop due to a bug, because sometimes I get the completionist bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Guilliman posted:

Remember when I mentioned I might look into habitats/bonuses:

That was surprisingly easy to get working.
I'm surprised Paradox didn't really think of doing this themselves. Also I think it's a bit eh how two megastructures are great for energy (habitats and Dyson spheres) but there's nothing to use for minerals. It's not a huge issue if you have Leviathans because you can just trade with one of the enclaves for minerals.

Also, going to agree with the sentiment about the megastructures being pretty much too far in the end game to make a real difference or if you can actually build it, you're pretty much going to win the game already. It reminds me a bit of Space Empires 4/5 with the Ring/Sphereworlds. If you could build those, then you already had the economy and technology to completely wipe everyone else.

• Locked thread