Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Weird thing I just realized but (Endgame spoilers, kinda) Goro's portrait in his all out attack doesn't have a mask on. I wonder if it's supposed to be ~~symbolic~~ or if they just couldn't make the pointy beak thing look good.

one detail about his cut-ins I like is that they're closer to P3/P4 style than P5, with the angles and lighting and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Final day spoilers

So how loving miserable would it be to grind high enough to get Lucifer

Cuz I kinda want Lucifer. Currently level 71 coming out of Shido's Palace.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Final day spoilers

So how loving miserable would it be to grind high enough to get Lucifer

Cuz I kinda want Lucifer. Currently level 71 coming out of Shido's Palace.

Max out strength and you can pay Yen to fuse Personas higher than you

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How long is the final dungeon?

I'm just at the first saferoom at the passageway and I don't mind it but kinda curious if it's gonna be a couple hours or if it's relatively short.
Not massively long, but there's quite a bit of dungeon between each save point. I was probably underleveled for it and it was a bit of a slog.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Aaaahahahha, Sojiro just (july) went to a woman's house because he got her the wrong printer (from what I can tell). Sounds pretty goon-in-the-well to me, lol

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Not directly but

There's a news report later that talks about a body that has lacerations and has indications it was dumped from elsewhere. I took that to be referring to Goro, as you do not hear the beginning or the end.

TBH I'd rather he stay dead. Dude's still a psychotic murderer at the end of the day, a redemption plot would feel gross as hell. The fact that the redemption didn't work was my favorite part of that scene.

I don't disagree that I would rather he not be redeemed, but a redemption plot would not be out of character for the game or its themes. Especially since Goro is portrayed very much as a victim of society as much as the rest art, even if it also doesn't ask you to forgive him for what he's done due to the fact he's done monstrous things. He's very clearly also letting up and realizing it's not too late for him to try and right himself, so it's very clear the Phantom Thieves talking to him was working to some extent before Shido's Goro popped in. Hell, the game even outright gives him a final moment where it basically says, "The only real enemy of yours here is yourself" hence his last line before the gunshots. I don't need a redemption plot, Goro's a great character without it, but if they do something like that for a spinoff of some sort, it would not feel cheap or out of character to me or even really gross, tbh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Terper posted:

It's not the longest in the game - it's probably the overall shortest, but you'll want some time to get through it and the finale.

Cool, will save it for tomorrow then.

Man I can't believe I'm at the end of the game though. I already want Persona 6 :smith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Terper posted:

Max out strength and you can pay Yen to fuse Personas higher than you

That just changes the formula from exp to Yen and I'm honestly not sure which would be less time consuming

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Not directly but

There's a news report later that talks about a body that has lacerations and has indications it was dumped from elsewhere. I took that to be referring to Goro, as you do not hear the beginning or the end.

TBH I'd rather he stay dead. Dude's still a psychotic murderer at the end of the day, a redemption plot would feel gross as hell. The fact that the redemption didn't work was my favorite part of that scene.

Thank you for that first part.

I kinda forgot about it as I figured it was part of the Sojiro double fake out they pulled and was wondering what happens when the real you dies in the metaverse. Like does Shido have his dead son's corpse knockin about in his head now or what.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

More finale spoilers Ryuji my bro if you'd just shown some distress after your rad as gently caress hero moment you woulda gotten hugs and/or smooches from the ladies instead of getting your rear end clobbered

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

I don't disagree that I would rather he not be redeemed, but a redemption plot would not be out of character for the game or its themes. Especially since Goro is portrayed very much as a victim of society as much as the rest art, even if it also doesn't ask you to forgive him for what he's done due to the fact he's done monstrous things. He's very clearly also letting up and realizing it's not too late for him to try and right himself, so it's very clear the Phantom Thieves talking to him was working to some extent before Shido's Goro popped in. Hell, the game even outright gives him a final moment where it basically says, "The only real enemy of yours here is yourself" hence his last line before the gunshots. I don't need a redemption plot, Goro's a great character without it, but if they do something like that for a spinoff of some sort, it would not feel cheap or out of character to me or even really gross, tbh.

here's my hot take: the final boss should have a moment where every single party member baton passes you in turn as the protag rushes forward to deliver the final blow, and then there's a fade to a featureless white void with goro raising his hand and you baton pass him too, and then the protag oneshots the final boss with 9999 damage.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Cleared the third palace and I was honestly expecting a lot worse. The gimmick went one just like one puzzle too long but the puzzle itself was cool enough

Really hoping for better targets tho cause Kaneshiro did not even get five minutes of screen time and then he to turned into a fly. so I guess they was improvement

also I spoiled everything for myself about ago but the SIU director saying "the Metaverse" to I assume Goro's lovely dad still got me good so GJ Atlus

Terper posted:

So when's the Goro Boys gangtag
sign me

the gently caress

up

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 13, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

here's my hot take: the final boss should have a moment where every single party member baton passes you in turn as the protag rushes forward to deliver the final blow, and then there's a fade to a featureless white void with goro raising his hand and you baton pass him too, and then the protag oneshots the final boss with 9999 damage.

This would have been amazing

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

gently caress you, why didn't this happen

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

postmodifier posted:

Real good true details:

In Untouchables' back office there are multiple display cases of gourmet lollipops, one of which is completely empty. This means that Iwai doesn't keep a toothpick in his mouth, but that's he's constantly eating lollipops and keeping the stick.

best dad

If you look in the shop menu animations he takes out his lollipop while you're browsing. Dude just has a sweet tooth. :kimchi:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Endorph posted:

This is why Sin Bullet was so disappointing to me.
It's a total cop-out and something like this would have been cooler. Let a established mechanic win the day, don't just summon satan-tron to shoot god for you.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Gorp posted:

It's a total cop-out and something like this would have been cooler. Let a established mechanic win the day, don't just summon satan-tron to shoot god for you.

If you don't think blowing a giant hole straight through the head of a god is fuckin' rad then I'm sorry but you have some questionable opinions. :colbert:

But yeah that other idea is also rad as gently caress too and I would 100% have been down for it going that way.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Just combine 'em.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

The Gorp posted:

Why it's gotta be one or the other? Just do Endorph's idea as the leadup to that.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you don't think blowing a giant hole straight through the head of a god is fuckin' rad then I'm sorry but you have some questionable opinions.

What happened was rad, but it doesn't feel like you or anybody you know does it.
After establishing a fantastic ragtag group of allies you basically say 'gently caress it' and hire another god to do the deed for you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why is palace 7 just a series of incredibly similar narrow hallways and mouse mazes? This sucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Why it's gotta be one or the other? Just do Endorph's idea as the leadup to that.
yeah you could easily combine them, esp. if you say each of the party members represents a sin.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Gorp posted:

What happened was rad, but it doesn't feel like you or anybody you know does it.
After establishing a fantastic ragtag group of allies you basically say 'gently caress it' and hire another god to do the deed for you.

It's the Ultimate Persona of the protagonist that is a culmination of your bonds and the journey you've had, what are your talking about?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Gorp posted:

thats how these persona 3+ games always end though? show all finished social links, get super powered persona, go into skills menu and end the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Gorp posted:

You basically hit Rank 10 with yourself and got a new Persona, just like everyone else in the party.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Maybe its because Izanagi-no-okami is literally just an improved version of Izanagi.
The giant superpersona doesn't really feel like it belongs to the protagonist.

If you made Arsene grow, or gun shine more and more for each person cheering, or each time you baton passed I would buy it. As it stands it feels flaccid.

I dunno maybe I'm retarded and have no taste.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Arsene literally alludes to him reappearing to the protagonist and shows up for the summoning and has the chains removed from himself to reveal his true power as Satanael, literally everything you are complaining about happened, dude. It even has aspects of Arsene's designs in places with well-dressed gentleman's outfit belying the demon that hides inside. Satanael is a powered up version of Arsene.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 13, 2017

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Sorry to derail the thread into spoilers then. Now that you explain it like that it makes more sense.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

thats how these persona 3+ games always end though? show all finished social links, get super powered persona, go into skills menu and end the game.

Hell, even Persona 1 has Hieroglyphein which is basically the same thing for the Pandora and Nyx fights, though you can theoretically miss it but it makes up for that by letting you use it whenever you want since it's Amon-Ra's rank 8 skill.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Haru calling Morgana senpai. :3:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Haru calling Morgana senpai. :3:

Everything about Haru is sickly sweet

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Playing through the game again and one thing I really appreciate is how the team don't drag Ann in with them when they try to go into Kamoshida's dungeon and actually take her out of the metaverse. It feels like the team is actually being logical and not wanting Ann to get hurt, rather than Chie in Persona 4 running in headfirst while the investigation team just let her come with them. It feels like it makes sense, which is probably part of the reason I prefer 5 to 4 in terms of story and writing.

Also, I keep on killing shadows due to exploiting weaknesses in Merciless difficulty. Is there any way not to kill them so that I can add them to my team?

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 13, 2017

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
My only complaints about Goro(big spoilers) is that his boss fight didn't have some special music and the first time he summons his persona in Sae's palace we don't get a special cutscene like all the other characters, yes he mentions he summmoned it before but I would like a big cutscene like all the rest instead of a non-voiced scene out of all things

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If I don't wanna do the money "exploit" is just holding up dudes endlessly for cash the best way to get money?

I'm unsure if doing the confuse money trick is ethical on a first playthrough. I might save it for NG+

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

IceBorg posted:

My only complaints about Goro(big spoilers) is that his boss fight didn't have some special music and the first time he summons his persona in Sae's palace we don't get a special cutscene like all the other characters, yes he mentions he summmoned it before but I would like a big cutscene like all the rest instead of a non-voiced scene out of all things

Well, (endgame) he does get a big awakening scene - with Loki

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I am extremely disappointed you don't get the rank 10 Star skill in NG+ and just get the useless rank 9 one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Just finished the game, clocked in at 75 hrs.

Real loving solid, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Man, now I sorta want to replay Persona 4 even though I know I'll just burn myself out. Goddamn I forgot how much I like playing Persona games.

The game also ends better than P4 did. Road Trip with your friends is much better than then running after a train

Zore fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 13, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Marogareh posted:

I am extremely disappointed you don't get the rank 10 Star skill in NG+ and just get the useless rank 9 one.

Probably applies across the board so you don't get the Awakened Personas immediately?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Probably applies across the board so you don't get the Awakened Personas immediately?

No, you get different stuff from each confidant. Some of which makes them obsolete and some which is just their lovely skills.

Devil lets you buy all items/accessories from the start for instance but no discount, Sun gives you literally all the speech perks, but Empress only gives you the increased crop yield.

Star only gets you the poo poo ability to escape when surrounded, but Moon gives the full EXP bonus etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Zore posted:

Devil lets you buy all items/accessories from the start for instance,

I think this one's kind of interesting. Didn't see that one coming, since her confidant bonuses are designed around keeping the Alert meter down. I guess I can kind of see the logic in it.

I do wonder what Fortune can give for NG+ given that her abilities are all based around going to see her in Shinjuku which is kind of not possible for a while. Same with Temperance for that matter (though it's probably the ability to ""skip"" class and read/make infiltration tools for her).