Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't want to have to salute my own bed, thinkgeek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm a corrupt admiral that came back in time but I forgot which evil plan I was up to, so I just use the Internet a lot

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Sash! posted:

I'm a corrupt admiral that came back in time but I forgot which evil plan I was up to, so I just use the Internet a lot

Your posting delayed the Eugenics Wars by 60 years and saved billions of lives but also violated the Prime Directive which is a bad thing this week. I hope you're happy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kingtheninja posted:

Wow, even my pillows outrank me.

Somebody has to be the ensign

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kingtheninja posted:

Guess it's time to do some laundry then!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

You shouldn't sleep with your superior officer.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Something Awful Forums >> The TV IV >> Star Trek: Wow, even my pillows outrank me.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

On my first full run-through of TOS,
I'm almost done with season 2 (just the stealth pilot "Assignment: Earth" is left). I gotta say, the second half of this season kinda falls off a cliff. "Bread and Circuses" actually isn't a bad episode, but it has virtually the same exact plot as half the other episodes in this run. Out of the past 9 episodes, FOUR have dealt with a planet "remarkably like Earth" where the civilization developed in a way that explicitly parallels a certain period in Earth's history. ("A Private Little War" almost counts as a fifth, but it's a little more vague in that they resemble prehistoric civilization more than anything else.) And 3 of these 4 episodes involve a Starfleet captain who beamed down to the planet and influenced their development somehow. Watching these episodes so close to each other is kind of exhausting. Whatever you can say about the other shows, I don't think any of them had a run of episodes quite as repetitive as this. (Even worse, one of the episodes that didn't follow this formula instead followed the "Kirk talks a computer to death" formula.)

"Its five-year mission: to seek out civilizations that look exactly like Earth. To boldly check up on guys who went there before."

Journey to Babel's easily up there in my personal 'best of Trek' list, even if the rest of Star Trek's second season might actually be best viewed through a 'this is how weird life in deepest, darkest outer space can get' lens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbHtzqCge_8

Love how Cyrano 'Friend Kirk!' Jones and HAAAARCOURT 'Have You Been Drinking Again Mister' Mudd show up Kirk and co. for being stuffy no-fun-havers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The "parallel earths" thing was a big part of Trek from the very first pitch. The generous view is that the goal was to comment intelligently on human potential and not just try and dazzle the audience with a bunch of weirdo aliens. On the other hand it sure kept the set/costume budget down, and kept a constant flow of samey scripts coming.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

spincube posted:

Love how Cyrano 'Friend Kirk!' Jones and HAAAARCOURT 'Have You Been Drinking Again Mister' Mudd show up Kirk and co. for being stuffy no-fun-havers

I'm a huge fan of Kirk acting like Cyrano "I must tend to my ship, au revoir" Jones just to piss off Mr. Baris.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The first half of season 2 is way stronger. And there are still good episodes interspersed in the second half. But they just clustered way too many "parallel Earth" scripts together towards the end with almost no variation between them other than the costumes. (On that note, another negative side effect is that the inconsistencies stick out more than usual. One week they'll ask the computer to replicate period-appropriate clothing, the next they just say whatever.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sir Lemming posted:

The first half of season 2 is way stronger. And there are still good episodes interspersed in the second half. But they just clustered way too many "parallel Earth" scripts together towards the end with almost no variation between them other than the costumes. (On that note, another negative side effect is that the inconsistencies stick out more than usual. One week they'll ask the computer to replicate period-appropriate clothing, the next they just say whatever.)
Were they looking towards syndication then? If you're getting a random shuffle of Trek episodes then you'd get a better blend. It's possible they started doing that poo poo because they were costing too much money - sort of a proto-bottle episode setup.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Were they looking towards syndication then? If you're getting a random shuffle of Trek episodes then you'd get a better blend. It's possible they started doing that poo poo because they were costing too much money - sort of a proto-bottle episode setup.

Not the same way as TNG was made with syndication in mind. I definitely don't think they were catering to a binge watching style of tv where people would complain about repetitive content though, they didn't expect the viewer to know anything about what happened last week apart from the boat is called enterprise and the guys are called Kirk and Spock. I think the repetitive quality may have more to do with the fact that they had to film a script every week for like half the year, with a pretty small number of regular writers. Coon and Fontana are the only ones I can think of who have more than a couple of writing credits.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TOS wasn't made for direct sale to syndication, but the reason they used to pack so many episodes into a season was to make the series more saleable after it left production. Desilu deliberately produced and sold the show at a loss in hopes of making back their money off syndication revenue.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cross-Posting this from the VR thread!!!

Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-uAsP41tLQ

A little bit more in depth about the roles in Bridge Crew

Looks neato

:flashfap:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hoping for some TNG era in Bridge Crew 2. :D

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

skasion posted:

Not the same way as TNG was made with syndication in mind. I definitely don't think they were catering to a binge watching style of tv where people would complain about repetitive content though, they didn't expect the viewer to know anything about what happened last week apart from the boat is called enterprise and the guys are called Kirk and Spock. I think the repetitive quality may have more to do with the fact that they had to film a script every week for like half the year, with a pretty small number of regular writers. Coon and Fontana are the only ones I can think of who have more than a couple of writing credits.

This is certainly why I take a dim view of Voyager, it just wasn't made to be watched 3 to 5 episodes a day for weeks on end. It's not serialized so there's no payoff to doing this, so it just becomes repetitive and exhausting.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The_Doctor posted:

Hoping for some TNG era in Bridge Crew 2. :D

Playing on the Defiant would be tons of fun thanks to the cloak.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hell, even some TOS movie era. Relive Wrath of Khan!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Brawnfire posted:

I wonder how much extra career Shatner has Shatner'ed his way out of at this point?

The best part this is after he got super rich from Priceline stock

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm here, flipping through the TV with one eye on my phone, when I hear a familiar nasally tone. Turns out Neelix got himself a human suit and ended up in The Purge 2 (3?) and gets murdered. The weirdest part is how deeply I've come to associate Ethan Phillips' voice with Neelix, to the point that his old white man real self is weird to me. I don't even like Voyager.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That Bridge VR game had better feature sparks, slag and rocks shooting out of the virtual consoles for maximum accuracy.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
ENT S3, E3: "Extinction"

Another TNG retread, this time about "The Inner Light." My wife watched this one with me and we were both pretty "meh" about it. She said, "Isn't there a Next Gen episode kind of like this one?" She hasn't seen "The Inner Light," so I described it in about a minute. The sad face she made at the end of my pithy description was more emotive than anything that happened in "Extinction."

I can see why writers are constantly tempted to reheat TNG and TOS classics, but in reality they never work. When have we ever said, "that newer version of that old classic episode was better"? It's an easy temptation for lazy writers to succumb to, and it never succeeds, unless we define success as "we killed off another 44 minutes of a season."

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Eh, I think it's just by the time Enterprise came around, it was hard to come up with ideas that weren't at least somewhat reminiscent of one or two of the hundreds of other episodes. Not saying Extinction's a good episode, but I never saw it as an Inner Light rip-off. If anything, it's more like TNG's Genesis, and a bit like Voyager's Memorial or DS9's Dramatis Personae, but I don't think it was written with any of them specifically in mind. I mean, let's face it, "Crew is infected with something and act weird" is one of the basic Star Trek plots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

That Bridge VR game had better feature sparks, slag and rocks shooting out of the virtual consoles for maximum accuracy.

Of course it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUGGeScLTVE

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus. Pop a Dramamine before watching this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That game has a lot of potential, for sure. Seems pretty great

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
On the one hand this game seems like the kind of game that gets a lot cooler when you understand the minutia of what you're doing, so it involves a lot of study time.

On the other hand, it looks like you'd need a lot of friends to make it work.

I don't know how well a grognard teamplay game would work with the masses. Unless this is a game being made for Twitch/Youtube streams.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's designed around being able to mix local and online play, so you can join up with all your online-only grognard friends. It'll do positional audio on your headphones and everything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trying to fly a ship with individual buttons like that seems like it'd be incredibly hard.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's also cross platform according to the devs so Vive, Rift, and PSVR players can all be on the same bridge.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

It's also cross platform according to the devs so Vive, Rift, and PSVR players can all be on the same bridge.

Good, because the population of VR is still pretty drat low.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sorry to say those buttons don't make nearly enough clicks, wheeps, doot doots, and general intergalactic dialup modem foley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lgHK0GQhrM

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I love the ship-to-ship combat in a couple of the films, and episodes like "Balance of Terror". I guess that makes me kind of not a true Trek fan because that's not what Trek is really about, but I do love it so.

I've seen all of TOS/TNG/Voyager, but not a single episode of DS9 or the newer Enterprise prequel series. Can anyone tell me if there are any good round spaceship pew-pew in those series?

PS- the old Klingon D7 battlecruiser is the most badass-looking ship of them all :black101:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MrMojok posted:

I love the ship-to-ship combat in a couple of the films, and episodes like "Balance of Terror". I guess that makes me kind of not a true Trek fan because that's not what Trek is really about, but I do love it so.

I've seen all of TOS/TNG/Voyager, but not a single episode of DS9 or the newer Enterprise prequel series. Can anyone tell me if there are any good round spaceship pew-pew in those series?

PS- the old Klingon D7 battlecruiser is the most badass-looking ship of them all :black101:

DS9 features a multi-season arc of a major war. There's spaceship pew-pew in abundance. Starring Starfleet's first purpose-built warship.

Edit: the first two seasons are slow and lacking in pew but once it gets going it doesn't really stop.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
DS9 is the most pew pew of them all.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah DS9 has the best pew pew of the franchise in my opinion.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Holy poo poo, that is awesome news! I literally know nothing about it other than that Avery Brooks is in it, and what you guys have said in the posts immediately above. Sounds like it's time for a marathon viewing.

Thanks!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Do keep us updated! We like these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
DS9 went way overboard with the camera shaking and bridge pyrotechnics, they even had a main character have to get sent to sickbay from the bridge while the shields were still fully operational.