Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McCloud posted:

I agree with this. It's the same problem I have with the Chris playing Cap America. They're both supposed to be larger than life characters but in the movies they're just...there. Hemsworth can't emote to save his life and Steve always looks so somber. You don't get the idea that one is a god and that the other has a voice that can command a god, to paraphrase a comic. To me they're charismatic black holes, they constantly rely on other more interesting characters to play off of. To be fair though, they do work very well when they do have someone to interact with.

I think Hemsworth is fine in his own movies but the direction he gets in the Avengers is useless. He kinda just stands around while the others talk quickly. It makes the character look very dim in comparison. Meanwhile, in the Thor sequel, he gets stuff like the "She's Dangerous!" "So Am I!" [thunder in distance] moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hemsworth is charming. He has natural charisma but the writing for his character as Thor is trash. There were a few funny moments like his interactions with the professor in the first movie but that's basically it and it's even worse in the Avengers where he does nothing, constantly

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, I can't remember a single moment in Age Of Ultron where he really does anything, outside of raising his eyebrows when Vision slightly moves the hammer, or when Vision's cape comes out. Oh yeah, he also has a contractually-obligated shirtless scene.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's good, actually.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

edit: nvm

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

parallelodad posted:

And that's why they renamed him Peter! Of course!

I have a 1st cousin, just a year older than me with the same name, and it's not a super common one like John or Michael. It can happen.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

It's good, actually.

in actual Fact it is bad

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I just watched X-men: Apocalypse, and like, gently caress, I paused when Magneto was about to get revenge on his coworkers and was amazed I was over 40 minutes into the film. Why did it take so long to get there, how does a film pace itself so badly?
Just, why?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jonah Galtberg posted:

in actual Fact it is bad

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

Hemsworth is charming. He has natural charisma but the writing for his character as Thor is trash. There were a few funny moments like his interactions with the professor in the first movie but that's basically it and it's even worse in the Avengers where he does nothing, constantly

I never really gave that much of a drat about Thor in the MCU (and never bothered to revisit any of his standalone movies to try and figure out why until last night) but I have a feeling that under Taika Waititi the character will become better rounded and Hemsworth's charisma will really start to shine.

Well unless the movie falls prey to the movie superheroes' arch nemesis of STUDIO INTERFERENCE

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He's on record (in his AMA) that he hasn't even seen a bunch of the Marvel movies. I don't think they've put him on too tight a leash.

also:
You're shooting Thor: Ragnarok right now. Do you have that kind of freedom to be spontaneous on a big studio-run, CGI-heavy film?

quote:

It hasn't been that different. So far it's been good! I've been more organized, which is saying something, for a guy like me to be organized. I'm surrounded by really intelligent, amazing people. I've got access to great minds and great resources. So I'm at a real advantage. In terms of the studio thing, these people don't act like a studio. They're cool, smart storytellers. I've been enjoying hanging out with them. And I've made commercials, so I've worked with the worst people in the world. Nothing could be more restrictive than working with people in advertising.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

K. Waste posted:

Aquaman is going to be the definition of a "better than" version of a Thor movie.

King Lundgren is going to be hard to gently caress up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wyoming posted:

I just watched X-men: Apocalypse, and like, gently caress, I paused when Magneto was about to get revenge on his coworkers and was amazed I was over 40 minutes into the film. Why did it take so long to get there, how does a film pace itself so badly?
Just, why?

Simon Kinberg is a no-good, very bad writer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't forget, he's an awful producer as well!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

My irritation with Thor is that time travel doesn't exist so we can send back Braun Strowman to play Volstagg. I love Ray Stevenson but he is utterly wasted in that role.

They'll compromise and have him be both.

Looked up this dude, and of course, he's a wrestler. Lemme reraise you, have you ever thought about the magnificient actor some know as Triple H?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shageletic posted:

Looked up this dude, and of course, he's a wrestler. Lemme reraise you, have you ever thought about the magnificient actor some know as Triple H?

Was he the guy that played Wolverine?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shageletic posted:

Trips no longer has the glorious hair. He's out of the running.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Was he the guy that played Wolverine?

If only. And everyone else in X-Men. Can you imagine the pathos he would have brought sitting in the wheelchair, then using it as a battering ram?!

e:^^^^^

no!!! That's where his acting resides!!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shageletic posted:

If only. And everyone else in X-Men. Can you imagine the pathos he would have brought sitting in the wheelchair, then using it as a battering ram?!

e:^^^^^

no!!! That's where his acting resides!!!

No worries, he's still in the running for Shao Khan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ouk03

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Some of you guys convinced me to watch Lucy, so I did and thought it was super dumb and didn't explore anything interesting. I didn't think it was particularly good looking or standout. All in all it was a waste of time more than a waste of money.

I did enjoy the Akira-esque transformation into a supercomputer, though. Oh, and the introduction scene of the Korean bossman guy. That was a high point. And the fight scene where she levitated everyone and made them incompetent instead of going all karate fist fighting was a good subversion of the traditional expectations of empowerment.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Is it too late to cast Triple H in an one-man show where he plays all comic characters?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Is it too late to cast Triple H in an one-man show where he plays all comic characters?

There's always next PPV.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Grendels Dad posted:

There's always next PPV.

Royal Rumble.

40 men enter the ring.

All of them are Triple H.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

well why not posted:

He's on record (in his AMA) that he hasn't even seen a bunch of the Marvel movies. I don't think they've put him on too tight a leash.

also:
You're shooting Thor: Ragnarok right now. Do you have that kind of freedom to be spontaneous on a big studio-run, CGI-heavy film?

Ever since Feige made his move against Perlmutter Marvel Movies seem to be loosening the leash and trying not to be dicks to the talent. Hopefully the trend continues and the next round of movies get to do their own thing a lot more.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

Ever since Feige made his move against Perlmutter Marvel Movies seem to be loosening the leash and trying not to be dicks to the talent. Hopefully the trend continues and the next round of movies get to do their own thing a lot more.

I feel like they've hopefully laid enough "character/universe" groundwork over the previous 10-12 movies that they can branch out a little. Remains to be seen, but I'd like to think they don't have to be so safe toeing the boring comic line and can be a little more fantastic and amazing with their stories. newThor at least looks the part in the trailers.

I hope Black Panther has even a little more freedom to do whatever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Perlmutter's moves made a lot of sense in the 90's when every publisher was going bankrupt and you needed to be saavy, frugal, and min/max all of your potential revenue streams (people love X-Men -> Establish multi-media partnerships where someone else fronts capital and you get a % of the profits. Females action figures don't sell as well -> Shift production energy to all of our more popular male figures that retailers can't keep in stock; who cares how it looks) just to survive as a company/industry.

But once you've used your incredible frugality to make an enormously successful enterprise when you had very little to work with, been bought out by The Disney Corporation, and gone from the verge of bankruptcy to multi-billion dollar company, it seems insane to spend so much time and energy fighting to pay Mickey Rourke 200k instead of 250k.

Ike is clearly a crazy person, but he made a lot of smart decisions and enforced enormous efficiency on a company that had almost nothing left during a period where pretty much every other company in the industry collapsed.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 13, 2017

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Thor's a tricky character to get right -- he's supposed to be arrogant and selfish enough to warrant being cast out of Asgard, but still likeable enough to carry a film. He's not 'quippy' like Stark, either. From an action point of view, he's a nearly unstoppable juggernaut, so good luck finding any tension there. I think that on balance Thor, and Hemsworth, did a reasonable job with a challenging character.

I'm not sure what went wrong with Thor 2. I'm one of those people who don't think any of the MCU films are actually bad, but Thor 2 probably ranks lowest for me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Yakmouth posted:

Thor's a tricky character to get right -- he's supposed to be arrogant and selfish enough to warrant being cast out of Asgard, but still likeable enough to carry a film.

The one moment from AoU I remember that seemed to capture this well is at the dinner party when he and Stark are both rattling off their girlfriends' achievements and it seems over and Thor mutters "Jane's better" in a dickish way as they part.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Thor telling Banner that the gates of Hel ring with the anguished cries of his defeated foes and consequent walking back of that was pretty good.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, most people who are 20 aren't that familiar with the old Star War movies, in my experience.

I didn't grow up with Star Wars, so I didn't have much interest in seeing them until the Special Editions came out. I still consider myself a casual fan. If something wasn't a part of your childhood, it can be difficult to relate to people who consider it a shared life experience that you're so strange for not enjoying.

Along the same lines, I had a good time watching the Star Wars prequels in theaters and didn't know they were so terrible until the Internet said so.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Toady posted:

I didn't grow up with Star Wars, so I didn't have much interest in seeing them until the Special Editions came out. I still consider myself a casual fan. If something wasn't a part of your childhood, it can be difficult to relate to people who consider it a shared life experience that you're so strange for not enjoying.

Along the same lines, I had a good time watching the Star Wars prequels in theaters and didn't know they were so terrible until the Internet said so.

The acting didn't clue you in at all?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

The acting didn't clue you in at all?

The acting is mostly fine. Not a whole lot of stand out performances but still pretty solid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A ten year old didn't put in an Oscar worthy performance, what a crock.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Electromax posted:

The one moment from AoU I remember that seemed to capture this well is at the dinner party when he and Stark are both rattling off their girlfriends' achievements and it seems over and Thor mutters "Jane's better" in a dickish way as they part.

Phylodox posted:

Thor telling Banner that the gates of Hel ring with the anguished cries of his defeated foes and consequent walking back of that was pretty good.

I seem to be in a minority on this site, but I liked AoU a lot. Both of those scenes are great.
Thor works better (in my own opinion, of course) as part of an ensemble rather than as a lead. I think there's a reason why his two solo films have such large supporting casts compared to other MCU movies.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Perlmutter's moves made a lot of sense in the 90's when every publisher was going bankrupt and you needed to be saavy, frugal, and min/max all of your potential revenue streams (people love X-Men -> Establish multi-media partnerships where someone else fronts capital and you get a % of the profits. Females action figures don't sell as well -> Shift production energy to all of our more popular male figures that retailers can't keep in stock; who cares how it looks) just to survive as a company/industry.

But once you've used your incredible frugality to make an enormously successful enterprise when you had very little to work with, been bought out by The Disney Corporation, and gone from the verge of bankruptcy to multi-billion dollar company, it seems insane to spend so much time and energy fighting to pay Mickey Rourke 200k instead of 250k.

Ike is clearly a crazy person, but he made a lot of smart decisions and enforced enormous efficiency on a company that had almost nothing left during a period where pretty much every other company in the industry collapsed.

Marvel was close to Bankrupcy in the late 2000's before DIsney bought them? I knew they had issues in the 90s but I figured they were doing well with Marvel studios and it's other multimedia ventures before the buyout.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Marvel was close to Bankrupcy in the late 2000's before DIsney bought them? I knew they had issues in the 90s but I figured they were doing well with Marvel studios and it's other multimedia ventures before the buyout.

Iron Man was their moon shot. If it didnt payoff that was basicaly gonna be it

Instead it succeeded far beyond any expectations and now were here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You forgive a whole lot if you watch a movie as a kid. Then your critical faculties are tainted by nostalgia when you're older and revisit the material. Of course everyone old enough to have sufficient access to full critical faculties will also be irredeemably tainted by nostalgia.

The only answer is to force a few thousand people to live hermetic lives devoid of all media. Then each year a member of the movie ascetics is pulled for each movie that is released theatrically, and forced to review it. Then we will finally know just how stupid our tastes are, objectively.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah, it's hard to remember but RDJ had a rocky past, Favreau was good but was still the "Swingers guy", and Iron Man was not the kind of superhero you made a huge movie around. It was by no means a "sure thing"

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

parallelodad posted:

A ten year old didn't put in an Oscar worthy performance, what a crock.

It's the 19 year old who I thought sucked.

Even as a kid. My dad would tell me to stop being "an Anakin" if I whined to him about anything. It was a running joke in our house.

• Locked thread