Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don't like the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
That's also okay, your life already must suck.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The show is good. Both seasons are good. I can recognize that.

I loving hate the second season.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The show is good. Both seasons are good. I can recognize that.

I loving hate the second season.

I thought the second season was like, a hundred time stronger than the first. I struggled to actually finish the first season (felt it hewed too close to the movie, didn't really like Lorne Malvo as a character) but the second season might be my favorite television of all time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

IMA SO RONERY

YOU WERE ALWAYS SUCH A SUPER RADY

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I'm always waffling on how much I like Fargo. Its defiantly entertaining. At the same time sometimes it kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I love Fargo, but if I really try to criticize it I might find the show hollow or thin (unsure of the word I am looking for, maybe it is more style over substance). That said I have zero issue with that, because it is the type of show where I want style over substance and I just want to be entertained.

I pretty much have the same problem with Westworld, but I find it much worse than Fargo. While I like it, Westworld is about shallow as they come.

Edit: Put me in the boat of people who preferred the second season over the first too.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Timby posted:

One thing I forgot to mention, and I think this might be up Uncle Boogeyman's alley: The documentary was directed by Andrew Dominik.

As in, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

This feller also directed The Proposition, right? That movie is dope.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Puppy Bowl posted:

No, Dominik hasn't really directed anything notable aside from Jesse James. He did Killing Them Softly like a year later, and it's good, but barely anyone saw it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I forgot Dominik did it. I should watch it, but I still haven't for the same reason that I haven't listened to The Skeleton Tree in its entirety, because the subject matter is so ungodly depressing I feel like I have to prepare myself for it. I'm seeing Cave live this summer though so I should get caught up on it before then.

The album isn't as depressing as you might think it is. The band was most of the way through recording the album when Arthur Cave died, and while on hiatus Cave rewrote a couple of songs (and wrote the title track). The movie covers the final recording session to finish the album. The last twenty minutes of the movie, though ... holy poo poo, I was in tears the entire time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I love Fargo, but if I really try to criticize it I might find the show hollow or thin (unsure of the word I am looking for, maybe it is more style over substance). That said I have zero issue with that, because it is the type of show where I want style over substance and I just want to be entertained.

I pretty much have the same problem with Westworld, but I find it much worse than Fargo. While I like it, Westworld is about shallow as they come.

Edit: Put me in the boat of people who preferred the second season over the first too.

Maybe you're thinking of the word stylized? As in they are both incredibly manipulated pieces of media, which in Westworld manifests as a JJ Abrams style puzzlebox (but this time with an actual conclusion!), and in Fargo manifests as an unconventional meta narrative utlitizing all kinds of techniques (time jumps, shifts of viewpoint, the story coming out of a book) to tell its relatively conventional story?

Fargo still has more meat on its bones thorugh characterization and engaging plot plots that make you want to go back for a rewatch, unlike Westworld (which I still like).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Westworld raises dumber questions when it answers old ones.
It's the true torchbearer to LOST

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I'm always waffling on how much I like Fargo. Its defiantly entertaining. At the same time sometimes it kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

It's a well-written, well-shot, well-acted (some accent work aside), and doesn't waste much time, but it has to constantly remind you that Fargo and other Coen Brothers movies exist, with really cloying references like a slow zoom while a man says "they're going crazy down there at the lake" or showing a car with DLR plates. It's a really good show, but the rib-nudging gets obnoxious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The sudden outbursts of extremely graphic violence were also a bit much in Season 2. The Coen brothers are true masters at that kind of thing and in the show it started to feel forced at certain points.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

No, Dominik hasn't really directed anything notable aside from Jesse James. He did Killing Them Softly like a year later, and it's good, but barely anyone saw it.

Uh he directed Chopper which is loving great and put Eric Bana on the map with what is definitely his best performance

The Proposition was John Hillcoat

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

No, The Proposition was John Hillcoat. (Talk about peaking early in one's career.)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Timby posted:

No, The Proposition was John Hillcoat. (Talk about peaking early in one's career.)

That adaptation of The Road sucked. There weren't even any catamites!

The Proposition is good, good, good. Bringing it back around to Nick Cave territory. Hopefully someday his script for Gladiator 2 will see the light of day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

I knew this would be the case as soon as "Based on a concept by Michael Crichton" came up in the credits.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hopefully someday his script for Gladiator 2 will see the light of day.

Enjoy.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Junkie Disease posted:

I don't wanna derail, but I nearly foam at the mouth every time someone mentions Lost. I'm not usually goony, but I become an angry obnoxious dweeb whenever someone claims to like Lost. I just can't understand how anyone squeezed joy out of that stinky turd past season 1.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Uh he directed Chopper which is loving great and put Eric Bana on the map with what is definitely his best performance

That good huh? I mean I've heard its good and that Bana's performance is a stand out but Jesse James was definitely on another level in terms of wider recognition.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I don't wanna derail, but I nearly foam at the mouth every time someone mentions Lost. I'm not usually goony, but I become an angry obnoxious dweeb whenever someone claims to like Lost. I just can't understand how anyone squeezed joy out of that stinky turd past season 1.

Because it was full of great characters that people wanted to spend time with?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Enos Cabell posted:

Because it was full of great characters that people wanted to spend time with?

I'm still waiting for my proposed John Locke-Ben Linus buddy cop drama.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That good huh? I mean I've heard its good and that Bana's performance is a stand out but Jesse James was definitely on another level in terms of wider recognition.

It definitely flew a little more under the radar than Assassination of JJ, but yeah it's at least arguably just as good (definitely not as pretty, but it's by design an ugly movie). Bana's unreal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

Really though. You're a Nick Cave guy, have you seen Ghosts... of the Civil Dead? The only other thing Hillcoat's made that even comes close to The Proposition, although even more horrifyingly bleak (it's a nauseatingly intense prison drama, verging on horror). And Cave even shows up in a pretty memorable role.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Really though. You're a Nick Cave guy, have you seen Ghosts... of the Civil Dead? The only other thing Hillcoat's made that even comes close to The Proposition, although even more horrifyingly bleak (it's a nauseatingly intense prison drama, verging on horror). And Cave even shows up in a pretty memorable role.

Yeah, I saw Ghosts... back in 1999 or 2000, so I would have been 15 or 16 at the time. That poo poo hosed me up.

During one of my interviews with Cave, he said he was so completely strung out on heroin that he barely remembered filming it at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm still waiting for my proposed John Locke-Ben Linus buddy cop drama.

Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson did a treatment for a show where they were hired killers living in a suburb somewhere, but nobody wanted to but it. Not much else is known about it, but that premise sounds really cliche, especially coming from them.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Shageletic posted:

Maybe you're thinking of the word stylized? As in they are both incredibly manipulated pieces of media, which in Westworld manifests as a JJ Abrams style puzzlebox (but this time with an actual conclusion!), and in Fargo manifests as an unconventional meta narrative utlitizing all kinds of techniques (time jumps, shifts of viewpoint, the story coming out of a book) to tell its relatively conventional story?

Fargo still has more meat on its bones thorugh characterization and engaging plot plots that make you want to go back for a rewatch, unlike Westworld (which I still like).

Thank you for saying it better than me. To be clear I do love Fargo (top 5 show). Right behind shows like Leftovers and Halt & Catch Fire to me.

Also I think Westworld is not as good as Lost (if you are comparing season ones only).

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Many of the best episodes were in the later season (The Constant and Through the Looking Glass for example which both are amazing). Yes Lost had it's problems and it does get propped up too much sometimes (I would say it gets unfairly torn down more) by it's fans, but I liked it despite its flaws. Also I think since 2000 I've only watched.

That said I know nothing about network TV. I've pretty much only watched cable dramas since OZ started. I think since 1999 the only shows I've watched on network TV are Lost, Hannibal, a few seasons of ER (I think I stopped watching around 03 or 04), and the first 2 season of Friday Night Lights. So what do I know.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 13, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Westworld is an extremely well made show, but I find it's not sticking with me like other shows that I've enjoyed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Westworld got progressively worse in the last couple episodes; the reveals and twists that others found compelling I was lukewarm on. I give it 50/50 on whether season 2 improves and becomes amazing like the first 2/3 of S1 or if it goes further away from the stuff I liked. Either way, I'm sure it'll be a good show for some people.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm not convinced the parallel narratives thing was a good idea. I think back and I don't think I personally got much out of the past storyline, and that's a lot of show not to care much about. Then it's just a spent twist. I think I would've preferred them spending time making present-day Ed Harris's journey more interesting. I didn't enjoy it as much after the jail escape. I'm cool with "What door?" though.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 13, 2017

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Lycus posted:

I'm not convinced the parallel narratives thing was a good idea. I think back and I don't think I personally got much out of the past storyline, and that's a lot of show not to care much about. Then it's just a spent twist. I think I would've preferred them spending time making present-day Ed Harris's journey more interesting. I didn't enjoy it as much after the jail escape. I'm cool with "What door?" though.

"What door?" is one of those twists that you see coming but the execution makes it work.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Lycus posted:

Westworld S2 minor, minor spoilers.

I believe I heard S2 doesn't have split timelines for the story.

I liked Westworld throughout. The execution was so good I can overlook anything else. But I'm also someone who loved Lost until the end, so I don't know that I can be trusted on my opinion here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guess my issue with the Fargo show is that while it's really well made, really entertaining, and generally well acted, I feel like the Fargo name only hurts it. I feel like when I watch it I am painfully aware of what they were going for and how much it misses the mark. The only major similarity to the movie is that it tries to pay homage to the Coen brothers style and I just think it tries and fails consistently.

it frequently uses abrupt, brutal violence, but the dark humor isn't there most of the time, the impact isn't there most of the time. It just feels violent for the sake of violence. A lot of the oddball characters are just out of place too. Billy Bob Thornton's character and especially Mike Milligan seem like they would be more at home in a Tarantino movie than a Coen film. Both of them and their constant monologues and blabbing got old really fast. Also Milligans 2 main henchmen are a good example. They are twins that dress funny, but their isn't anything interesting about them. They look like something from a Coen film, but that is about it. Also, the Coens make a lot of films about bumbling idiot criminals, but most of them in the show are portrayed and stoic or clever and all around badass. Those are just a few examples but the whole show feels like that to me. A lot of what they are going for feels pretty off.

I think it would be a better show if it carried it's own namesake and didn't have the pressure to be "like a Coen Brothers film", which was literally what FX pitched to the creators since I guess they owned Fargo. The Fargo name just makes it feel redundant and gives it certain expectations to live up to that it didn't need in the first place.

That said, I can't stop watching it fwiw.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was extremely skeptical about Fargo since I think the movie is like one of the most perfect ever made, but it ended up being one of the only prestige TV shows that actually lived up to the hype for me. The first season was a little bumpy at times but still great, and the second season really felt like it came into its own. Really looking forward to the third season.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The Handmaiden (newest Park Chan Wook film) is now on Amazon Prime :allears:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

Yesssss. Finally!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I RECOMMEND THE NEW MST3k!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

I RECOMMEND THE NEW MST3k!

It's 99% identical to the spirit and performance of the old show, just like if it had never ended and the new episodes were just a new season starting. It's a little unsettling how precisely and naturally it recreates everything from 10-20 years ago, and how all the performers seem totally settled into their roles.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

it frequently uses abrupt, brutal violence, but the dark humor isn't there most of the time, the impact isn't there most of the time. It just feels violent for the sake of violence. A lot of the oddball characters are just out of place too. Billy Bob Thornton's character and especially Mike Milligan seem like they would be more at home in a Tarantino movie than a Coen film. Both of them and their constant monologues and blabbing got old really fast. Also Milligans 2 main henchmen are a good example. They are twins that dress funny, but their isn't anything interesting about them. They look like something from a Coen film, but that is about it. Also, the Coens make a lot of films about bumbling idiot criminals, but most of them in the show are portrayed and stoic or clever and all around badass. Those are just a few examples but the whole show feels like that to me. A lot of what they are going for feels pretty off.

While I hope season 3 doesn't have quirky hitmen in it, I guess it's important to remember that the Coens also adapted No Country, which is one of the most unfunny movies about a badass hitman who's clearly supposed to represent something more than a man ever made. Billy Bob's character in S1 felt like it was drawing inspiration from that, and saying "what if Chigurh were a cavorting, Puckish devil instead of an indifferent God?"

I think part of that Tarantino vibe you picked up in S2 might've just been because that character (Mike?) was a 70s blaxploitation character - a big influence on Tarantino's "house style" and imagination as well - slightly out of time in the 1980s being forced to change.

I agree the show isn't the perfect thing some people seem to think but I love it a lot and think S2 in particular is absolutely crackerjack television, hitting a lot of the marks that prestige TV with fancier pedigrees than "FX original" fails to.

Baku fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

air- posted:

Yee