Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Jude Law, what I can realistically expect from King Arthur: Legend of the Sword?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My father declared The Departed a terrible movie because "there's no difference between Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio" including that they look exactly alike, they act the same, and they're both faggots.

I haven't spoken to my father in five years.

Your dad is right about the departed though

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking of Jude Law, what I can realistically expect from King Arthur: Legend of the Sword?

Messy, tonally confused, fun but not good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was looking forward to King Aurthur and I like Guy Ritchie

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A good performance from him at least. He's been on a roll lately.

And nothing but cardboard from Charlie "Barely a Human" Hunnam.

Is there any leading guy less interesting and still as relevant as him (Worthington is now a character actor). Maybe he should stick to British roles, that'd maybe give him alittle more authenticity.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Departed does not even come close to the greatest of Infernal Affairs.

Like yeah, they are the same movie, but its like watching the American pilot of the IT Crowd where they used all the same jokes and basically made the same set and still had Richard Ayoade but none of it work.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So...not an attempt to be provocative, just can't do basic inference. Got it.

Literally no resource I can find can figure out a consistent reading of the action in that scene so it's not just me. The sequence actually infers that her arm has been injured, and also that she either teleported one room over or he kicked down the wrong door despite seeing where she went and then stood there for like a minute waiting for babydoll to magically shoot a bullet that ricocheted off an object who's location is never established into a woman who's location is deeply unclear and then made her arm bloody, which killed her but left no clear wound.

He's a very bad visual storyteller outside of extremely short, simple message. On the plus side, he can frame a shot nicely and sometimes makes bold and interesting musical choices (almost as if his expertise is in music videos).

It's no help that he's mostly either working off his own screenplays or saddled with scripts by Goyer, who trades in poorly thought out juvenilia. It's no surprise that Dawn of the Dead is his best movie, because Gunn's a good writer and the idea that dialog and delivery are irrelevant to a movie is as ridiculous as claiming that the only way any band is good is if you ignore the lyrics.

Of course you're obviously a big ol' fanboy, judging by the fact that you seriously believe that criticizing Snyder is a 'provocation'. So you'll tell me, a professional visual storyteller, that I'm very bad at reading visuals because I said a mean thing about your fave comic book movie man.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 12, 2017

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

It puts women in fetishwear but shoots them like the guys from The Right Stuff.

The first result for 'Suckerpunch' on YouTube has an anime style school-girl panty-shot in the first twenty seconds. Which is basically what Suckerpunch is, a lovely anime that nerds insist is deep and empowering.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Catfishenfuego posted:

The first result for 'Suckerpunch' on YouTube has an anime style school-girl panty-shot in the first twenty seconds. Which is basically what Suckerpunch is, a lovely anime that nerds insist is deep and empowering...Of course you're obviously a big ol' fanboy, judging by the fact that you seriously believe that criticizing Snyder is a 'provocation'. So you'll tell me, a professional visual storyteller, that I'm very bad at reading visuals because I said a mean thing about your fave comic book movie man.

Three things:

1) Post the screenshot of the anime shot you're referring to.
2) I am a fan although I enjoy what he intends more than his actual execution a lot. I do think that saying a director who is primarily known as a visual storyteller is actually "incoherent" and lovely at it is a provocative hot take.
3) Lots of people are bad at their jobs so you being paid to be a visual storyteller doesn't mean poo poo to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 12, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Catfishenfuego posted:

The first result for 'Suckerpunch' on YouTube has an anime style school-girl panty-shot in the first twenty seconds. Which is basically what Suckerpunch is, a lovely anime that nerds insist is deep and empowering.

Thanks for bragging that you have a basic understanding of how to search youtube

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Catfishenfuego posted:

woah, don't bring anime down to suckerpunch's level, the medium has way more merit than that!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Thanks for bragging that you have a basic understanding of how to search youtube

The thing is, it's kind of a vague way to get a video and of the two I found (using "suckerpunch" and "sucker punch") the only thing I could find was one where some girls in underwear were lounging in the background of a shot, de-focused the entire time.

Which is kind of the point. Here's ladies in hot underwear. They are blurry and not the point of the movie. That's not "anime-style".

edit: if this is the shot he's referring to then I leave it to the reader to determine if this is "anime-style":

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 12, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Inception came out the year before so I'm not sure how people see Sucker Punch as incoherent or confusing.

I remember when Inception came out there were a ton of people talking about how confusing and convoluted it was, like it was this impossible thing to decode without watching it multiple times, when it's really fairly straightforward (but still worth watching multiple times because it's great).

Shageletic posted:

And nothing but cardboard from Charlie "Barely a Human" Hunnam.

Is there any leading guy less interesting and still as relevant as him (Worthington is now a character actor). Maybe he should stick to British roles, that'd maybe give him alittle more authenticity.

Speaking of which, he's supposedly good in The Lost City of Z, from a few reports from people who've seen advanced screening. The AV Club had an interview with the director today and the reviewer described his performance as "a revelation" (though the director mentions how when he first met Hunnam he was struck by how he was "gnawed at" by his "inadequacy"):

http://www.avclub.com/article/james-gray-found-more-adventure-lost-city-z-253454

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The thing is, it's kind of a vague way to get a video and of the two I found (using "suckerpunch" and "sucker punch")

Youtube searches take your search history into account so different people can get different results using the same search term. The first two videos I got didn't have the screenshot you posted in the first 20 seconds.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I guess the conclusion that we're all coming to here is that Catfishenfuego often searches for "anime style school-girl panty-shots"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

*woman with giant boobs holds a gun*

male audience: ah, sexism is over

This is where you divorce the trappings of feminism from any actual progressive struggle and start talking about how breasts are antifeminist or something.

Like the movie unambiguously about the hard life of a stripper is bad because it shows the strippers wearing their work clothes. And like, as a leftist, you believe that we should erase images of labor and its exploitation from the media because that is uncomfortable...?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Seperating visuals from actually telling a story is something I'll never understand

This is from a while back, but it bears repeating: Thinking they are separate and can be separated is the mistake.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Literally no resource I can find can figure out a consistent reading of the action in that scene so it's not just me. The sequence actually infers that her arm has been injured, and also that she either teleported one room over or he kicked down the wrong door despite seeing where she went and then stood there for like a minute waiting for babydoll to magically shoot a bullet that ricocheted off an object who's location is never established into a woman who's location is deeply unclear and then made her arm bloody, which killed her but left no clear wound.

Just out of curiosity, is this the first time you've watched a film or part of one?

The step father tries to get at her

She fights back

He locks her in her room, turning her fortress into a prison.

She sees, through the keyhole, the stepfather enter the room with her younger sister in it, who runs out of the room.

She climbs out the window, and around the house.

As she makes her way back in and finds a gun, the stepfather kicks in the door of the closet where the younger sister was hiding and kills the younger sister.

Our heroine catches up, too late, fires a gun, misses, and flees the scene.

Literally not a single part of that is unclear unless you are visually completely illiterate, and you probably shouldn't try crossing a road unassisted if that's the case.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Youtube searches take your search history into account so different people can get different results using the same search term. The first two videos I got didn't have the screenshot you posted in the first 20 seconds.

Something I learned last year was how durable this own is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Something I learned last year was how durable this own is.

It can be devastating in the right hands.

Also if anyone really has any doubt that Sucker Punch has "anime style panty shots" then here's this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-bCGOthQ5k
It has a whole slew of anime cliches including slow motion panty shots. THANKS FOR MAKING ME LOOK THAT UP, THREAD.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

so this is why whenever i tried to watch grocery haul videos its nothing but foodfight! clips

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
This thread is so weird sometimes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

This thread is so weird sometimes.

Yeah. I was about to demand he post a screenshot of said panty shots, then I realised what I was doing and wondered how my life got to this point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah. I was about to demand he post a screenshot of said panty shots, then I realised what I was doing and wondered how my life got to this point.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Anime is good, but sucker punch is bad.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dolph Lundgren will be in Aquaman

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

YEEEEESSSSS

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tars Tarkas posted:

He Nose the truth

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Reprising his role from Hail, Caesar!

I mean, I'll be disappointed if he isn't a villainous submarine captain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also if anyone really has any doubt that Sucker Punch has "anime style panty shots" then here's this clip:
It has a whole slew of anime cliches including slow motion panty shots. THANKS FOR MAKING ME LOOK THAT UP, THREAD.

This movie was really rad in IMAX. I saw it twice.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm just trying to figure out the hypothetical limits of "professional visual storyteller."

Does that include people spinning signs on the street?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Anime is good, but sucker punch is bad.

This but the opposite, and I haven't even watched sucker punch

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

parallelodad posted:

He Nose the truth

Finally, a movie unafraid to show full penetration.

quote:

This but the opposite, and I haven't even watched sucker punch

This, but both are blood.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Huh, apparently Army Of Me is a Bjork song. I had only ever heard the Abandoned Pools version. Snyder teaching me all sorts of poo poo.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Labyrinth 2 moving forward with director Fede Alvarez and writer Jay Basu, they claim it's not a sequel or a reboot, just a movie in the same universe.

http://deadline.com/2017/04/labyrinth-sequel-fede-alvarez-jay-basu-the-girl-in-the-spiders-web-1202069302/

Coming to America 2 is more than a rumor now that writers are attached - Barry Blaustein and David Sheffield, writers of the original. Rumors of the sequel started from Eddie Murphy's twitter account, which then self-deleted.

http://movieweb.com/coming-to-america-2-writers-barry-blaustein-david-sheffield/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

There aren't any 'panty shots' in that clip.

But the bigger issue is that I have never seen an orthodox sexist talking about how much he wants jerk off to Sucker Punch.

You do see hundreds of people voicing fear of that jacking off and rainbow parties might be happening, but there is basically no evidence that Sucker Punch triggers widespread masturbation.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Warner Bros is being sued for copyright infringement by the guy who wrote The Demonologist, the "non-fiction novel" about the Warrens and who claims they signed over the rights to their life story to him. Though surprisingly he's alleging that their whole story about demons and witches is actually complete bullshit and that the studio trying to claim that its real is one of the reasons why he's suing them, which makes him slightly more sympathetic than being just another supernatural huckster trying to cash in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Mann posted:

Warner Bros is being sued for copyright infringement by the guy who wrote The Demonologist, the "non-fiction novel" about the Warrens and who claims they signed over the rights to their life story to him. Though surprisingly he's alleging that their whole story about demons and witches is actually complete bullshit and that the studio trying to claim that its real is one of the reasons why he's suing them, which makes him slightly more sympathetic than being just another supernatural huckster trying to cash in.

That one is loving hilarious, because Warner Brothers says that they don't have to pay because it's based on a true story, so there defense is that ghosts are real.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That one is loving hilarious, because Warner Brothers says that they don't have to pay because it's based on a true story, so there defense is that ghosts are real.

If it gets me out of paying several hundred million dollars in damages I will say pretty much anything.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Skwirl posted:

The court transcripts on this will be amazing. the judge is going to be like "wait...so basically this is about whether ghosts are real? I guess we're doing this. Jesus."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spatula City posted:

The court transcripts on this will be amazing. the judge is going to be like "wait...so basically this is about whether ghosts are real? I guess we're doing this. Jesus."

If that's what it comes to it'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Skwirl posted:

It's still funny, but ghosts existing is surprisingly contentious.

People are really stupid.

• Locked thread