Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Temperance's 8

I'm dating her

I'm making this happen

I was sort of wavering on this after the third palace, but then I went fishing with Ryuji and found out that Kawakami is THE master fisherman. When you tell Ryuji that he better call her "Master" Kawakami :3:, I know that I'm making the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Enhanced Edition will have a 4 hour intermission in August of Sae just throwing random photos down on the table.

Recognize this man? That's right, he works at the public waterworks. Or should I say he's YOUR ACCOMPLICE WHO KEEPS THE TEAM HYDRATED!??!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I want to be friends with Haru

Here's hoping I don't have to wait too long past 8/26

Her link doesn't unlock until November or so so you have plenty of time to get Proficiency 5.

The railroading at the end of October is really quite ridiculous.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Does anybody have a source link for the true story that the first antagonist's plot is based on? I don't doubt for a second that it is true but I'm not finding anything other than people saying it in forums or blogs.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

GimmickMan posted:

Does anybody have a source link for the true story that the first antagonist's plot is based on? I don't doubt for a second that it is true but I'm not finding anything other than people saying it in forums or blogs.

Gonna have to be more specific cause it happens a bunch.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lakbay posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks futaba looks like the default girl squidling from Splatoon 1

Yeah, in late October after Sojiro figures you out, and she says "Looks like Sojiro had an inkling after all" I couldn't help but think "Well of course, he's had you with him for years"

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Gonna have to be more specific cause it happens a bunch.

Right, I mean Kamoshida's plot being based in a case from 2014.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

There are many examples, but this is probably the closest. Then combine it with this.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
here go

Moltrey posted:

[Content Warning: this article contains a lot of stories of sexual abuse!!!] This was the story I saw linked that people have said a lot of the Kamoshida stuff probably took inspiration from, a foreign teacher in a Japanese international school abusing his students. This article came out in March of 2014, which I feel is a pretty solid date to say it may have been brought up in the writers room

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Thanks, thread.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any particular Persona that makes Shido easier? I can't even get through his first form before I get annihilated by getting enraged and killing myself on his Physical shield. The first attempt he also cast a magic shield leaving me with no way to touch him and an unwinnable fight.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bardeh posted:

Any particular Persona that makes Shido easier? I can't even get through his first form before I get annihilated by getting enraged and killing myself on his Physical shield. The first attempt he also cast a magic shield leaving me with no way to touch him and an unwinnable fight.

If you can fuse Trumpeter, Debilitate is a huge boon. During the first part of the fight he'll waste half his turns clearing debuffs if you keep applying it.

This is a pretty good piece of advice for any lategame boss battle; Debilitate owns.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm so in love with the escalation of the heists. From castle to art museum to bank to Futaba's pyramid Even if the dungeon design leaves a lot be desired, I like them hitting a Who's Who of big places for thieves to break into

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bardeh posted:

The first attempt he also cast a magic shield leaving me with no way to touch him and an unwinnable fight.
Just have a party member cast a spell of their own element against someone with a magic shield up, the spell will be reflected but if they have their Rank 10 Persona they won't take any damage. It only reflects magic once.

Other than that, just keep debuffs and buffs applied even though he wipes them, it takes up a turn.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Gameplay is way more flexible once you get Moon and Star to max. You have way more freedom switching out party members in battle since you don't have to worry about split exp gimping your non-Joker members.

Max Strength finally puts my 700k yen to use. Fused a Siegfried 17 levels lower than I'm suppose to, guy puts in work with Charge.

Does Yoshitsune still have that busted 10 hit AoE skill?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

From what I've heard, yes, Hassou Tobi is still in.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

wizard on a water slide posted:

This is a pretty good piece of advice for any lategame boss battle; Debilitate owns.

Trumpeter + Yoshitsune has been a broken combo in any post P3 persona game

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of broken things, it's pretty badass when Futaba gives the whole party Heat Riser or a charge

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The endgame breaker I ended up with is Raphael like 21 levels above me. Heat Riser, Charge, and Sword Dance makes for some pretty hilarious shenanigans. I crit the final boss for just under 2k. :getin:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I liked Haru's S-Link because it provided closure to post Palace 5 events and also subverted expectations by having the new CEO be a pretty decent guy who Haru just had to learn to trust, instead of the "change heart" gimmick I was afraid it was going down

Though I think they could have done more with her processing what she discovered about her father and also his death

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 14, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
OK, so Bubbly Hills 90210, Guy McVer, and The X Folders are extremely unsubtle nods to old TV shows. What's Wraith a reference to? I feel like I should know it but I'm blanking.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

OK, so Bubbly Hills 90210, Guy McVer, and The X Folders are extremely unsubtle nods to old TV shows. What's Wraith a reference to? I feel like I should know it but I'm blanking.

The movie "Ghost"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is Japanese society really that uptight? Can you really get expelled from high school for drinking and smoking "cigs"

talking about the third target here

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 14, 2017

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Terper posted:

Despite living a second life as a thief of the night, you showed no signs of exhaustion during school. Someone must have made you go to bed early every night! Who was it?!

Sea is just jealous of the support group that let's the MC be a high functioning yet relaxed individual and wants in on his lifehacks.

I then gladly regaled her with the story of how I ate several hundred pounds of beef in a week so I would have the courage to make friends with gangsters.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Kurtofan posted:

is Japanese society really that uptight? Can you really get expelled from high school for drinking and smoking "cigs"

There were drugs there too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

the protagonist is on probation and ryuji already has a reputation as a troublemaker

makoto and ann would probably just get stern talking tos but the guys are hosed

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Guys help I can't stop listening to palace 3's theme!(the first one)

It's hitting some specific pleasure center in my brain.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Guys help I can't stop listening to palace 3's theme!(the first one)

It's hitting some specific pleasure center in my brain.

It's really good. I got there last night and it's been an ear-worm ever since.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

talking about the third target here
there were drugs in the shot, and given that the four at Shujin already have bad rumors about them and Yusuke's at Kosei on an art scholarship, very much so

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is Mementos or the current Palace more valuable for leveling up? I keep getting the "we should train" message when I'm in safe rooms, but I'm more or less plateauing on levels in early Palace 5.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Probably Palaces since they've got more higher end enemies. I've gotten Treasure Demons more common in Mementos but that's just my EXP. Mementos are really just places to grind when Palaces aren't active.

I'm Lv. 30 going into the fourth palace and since I'm about halfway through the game, I feel pretty okay about that?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Is Mementos or the current Palace more valuable for leveling up? I keep getting the "we should train" message when I'm in safe rooms, but I'm more or less plateauing on levels in early Palace 5.

Unquestionably current palace, Mementos is just going to give you enemies from the previous palace.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Ross Perowned posted:

There were drugs there too

This. If you think it's bad in America, Japan's attitudes towards it are far more severe. Any amount of it on a foreigner is enough to get you imprisoned for a very long time, and with Japan's 99% conviction rate you better believe that you're going to jail for a long time if there's even so much as an implication that you're involved with drugs.

Edit: As others point out, the past records of Ryuji and the protagonist are just poo poo icing on the poo poo cake.

Also, he has pictures of Makoto, the Special Prosecutor's little sister, 'hanging' around with them (although her expression is 'I want to be anywhere but here'). It's an incredible amount of dirt to have as blackmail to let him do whatever he wants. Plus, if you 'fail' the Palace, the ending cutscene implies that they make Makoto do a lot more than drugs in retaliation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you're diligent about battles in the palaces, keeping your stock of Personas up to date, and you're not playing on Hard or Merciless, you'll probably be fine in the way of levels and won't really need to do much extra grinding, I've found.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

http://kotaku.com/this-might-be-persona-5s-biggest-translation-fail-1794223069 This article's kinda pissing me off today because I actually really like these bits during class days.

I liked having to go on a google hunt to find out that the fishermen of Nagaragawa gained the honorary title of Fishermen for the Imperial House, even if I'm a dumb white man. But this guy just didn't find it as immersive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tradechop posted:

http://kotaku.com/this-might-be-persona-5s-biggest-translation-fail-1794223069 This article's kinda pissing me off today because I actually really like these bits during class days.

I liked having to go on a google hunt to find out that the fishermen of Nagaragawa gained the honorary title of Fishermen for the Imperial House, even if I'm a dumb white man. But this guy just didn't find it as immersive.
the problem isn't really that it's an obscure jp fact (though that article kinda presents it like that's the problem,) it's that the tl phrases it incorrectly

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I just press the touchpad and get the answers while barely looking at the questions

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
my Japanese professor told me like last week that a few years ago when she visited home, she saw dudes just selling weed in the streets of Shinjuku which given what I know about Japan's drug laws, even that sounded loving bananas, but hey red light distrcits

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

slev posted:

I just press the touchpad and get the answers while barely looking at the questions

Doesn't work during exams though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

tradechop posted:

Obscure Japanese cultural factoid -> Press touchpad -> See the answer that 99% of the community googled for you -> Free smarts

tradechop posted:

Doesn't work during exams though

No but if you have a decent enough memory for trivia they give you all the answers to those during normal pop quizzes.