Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr Cheeto posted:

Play as Dragan to invade other people's heists and steal their cocaine

That sweet Kane and Lynch crossover money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

UnknownMercenary posted:

Don't loving tease me, I would kill my dad for that

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

UnknownMercenary posted:

Holy poo poo that would be awesome. I want a bank heist where civilians and cops can appear to be the other.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And here I thought I was going to be the only person unironically on board with a K&L crossover.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Kane & Lynch are bad games with less bad ideas, and also I love both the horrible scumbag protagonists so yeah, bring on the Undercover Cop mode.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

I absolutely cannot believe I'm not the only Kane and Lynch apologist in the Payday 2 thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think Horvat already sold the bomb, sadly.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Play as Dragan to invade other people's heists and steal their cocaine

Hell yeah I'd be down for a Dark Souls style invasion, where you just show up with a van and try to steal as much of the loot as you can while avoiding the host and his group.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tamayachi posted:

Hell yeah I'd be down for Dark Souls

:getout:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Any time I read the words "dark souls" my brain just completely shuts off for the rest of whatever text I'm currently reading

in before "you're brain is on sometimes?"

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

watho posted:

Any time I read the words "dark souls" my brain just completely shuts off for the rest of whatever text I'm currently reading

in before "you're brain is on sometimes?"

this is your brain

this is your brain on dark souls

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
This is you're brain on grammar not good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

John Murdoch posted:

And here I thought I was going to be the only person unironically on board with a K&L crossover.

HebrewMagic posted:

I absolutely cannot believe I'm not the only Kane and Lynch apologist in the Payday 2 thread.

3rd voice here to defend CrimeDad: The Game, all the modes in Dog Ways were fun stuff and I'd legit welcome something weird like that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Gather round children, and hear the tale of David Goldfarb, the first payday dev we love bed to hate...

Goldfarb joined OVK early in payday's development, fresh from acting as design lead on Battlefield bad company2 and single player design lead on BF3. Goldfarb rapidly became the face of the new sequel, promising and promoting a wide array of systems and simulations that would let players more fully live the heister lifestyle. Skill trees, mask customization, weapon mods, multi-day heists, stealth, and the entire crimenet concept are generally seen as Goldfarb's ideas, if only because he was the one publicizing them. In particular, Goldfarb was credited with drastic improvements to the "gunfeel " of pd2.

All was not well, however. Goldfarb' initial design and vision for the game contained a number of contradictions. The most infamous of these was the Dark Souls comment. Like many designers of the time, Dave compared the feeling of playing PD2 to dark souls. Unlike many other devs, though, his comment was too obviously at odds with what made DS a success. Dark Souls is infamous for using the threat of failure as a teaching process for players. Its challenges were ruthless, but fair, avoidable with the right know-how. Goldfarb, however, took a different lesson- that teams would sometimes fail for reasons that were entirely beyond their control. At the same time a number of decisions reduced the importance of team gameplay,Payday 2 launch heists, especially in stealth, were enshrined as arbitrary settings where success was beyond full player control. Although the cries of "dark souls" on wipe grew loud and infamous, the truth is that Goldfarb 's worst ideas were tied up in progression and selection. It's reasy to forget that when first launched, payday 2 did not let players select heists beyond waiting for them to appear on crimenet, that all masjk and weapon parts were lost upon sale or detachment, that skills could not be changed! Progression in payday 2 early on was absolutely hosed. Rats all day every day! These elements produced major pushback among players.

Eventually, Goldfarb left to found Outsiders. We wish him goon luck.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 15, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I think I just had a nam flashback thinking about Proverkill Rats farming.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Rats all day every day!
Not only rats all day every day but rats all day for gently caress all.

Note: That was taken almost a year after the game came out. I was infamy level 5.

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 15, 2017

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
To which their initial response was not to increase the payout of other heists to incentivize players, but to give XP penalties for playing it too many times and also - ridiculously - make it impossible to rush on DW. Players being penalized for lateral thinking, effectively.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Hey Vox, which loud heist is the most efficient for getting cash? I know the DLC safe heist is best for XP.

Also, which mods should I install to improve framerate and network (i.e., desync) performance?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Wastrel_ posted:

To which their initial response was not to increase the payout of other heists to incentivize players, but to give XP penalties for playing it too many times and also - ridiculously - make it impossible to rush on DW. Players being penalized for lateral thinking, effectively.
Which just meant people did Diamond Store, something else, Diamond Store, Rats. Over and over...

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

RandallODim posted:

I think I just had a nam flashback thinking about Proverkill Rats farming.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wastrel_ posted:

Pretty sure the heat penalties came side by side with the heat bonuses.

The anti-rush part made more sense at the time, but like I've seen many a time in other online games, it's an old fix to an old problem and really should probably be re-evaluated.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Hey Vox, which loud heist is the most efficient for getting cash? I know the DLC safe heist is best for XP.

Also, which mods should I install to improve framerate and network (i.e., desync) performance?

Sorry, I'm out of town and can't look these up for a couple days. A desync fixed apparently in the works from overkill.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I thought Aftershock was the most efficient for XP? Not sure what you mean by DLC safe heist...

I'd still say Aftershock and Biker Heist are both pretty good, personally. I haven't looked at Heat Street/Green Bridge to compare, but I'd guess they're on par - generally speaking, the newer heists have among the best payouts.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Aftershock is the DLC safe heist.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oh, I was thinking paid DLC. :downs: Cash is such a non issue, I haven't paid attention to it in ages. Honestly dude, play with goons for a couple hours and you'll have enough to do anything within reason.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

John Murdoch posted:

Pretty sure the heat penalties came side by side with the heat bonuses.

The anti-rush part made more sense at the time, but like I've seen many a time in other online games, it's an old fix to an old problem and really should probably be re-evaluated.

Or people could actually be permitted to play a game they paid money for the way that they want to.

In fairness, Overkill has done much more since then to incentivize players to play the different heists, and to incentivize players to cook meth on Rats specifically - eg XP bonuses for varying one's choice of heists to calculating XP according to the number of bags secured. But I still think people should be allowed to rush through Rats on Mayhem and above without cooking a single bag. Since the XP and payout differs so greatly between cooking and not cooking, the original idea of straight up incapacitating everyone if you blow the lab on Day 1 is already outdated.

Similarly, in Mallcrasher they could vary the XP according to number of loot bags as well, and make the van escape a buyable asset. So people who rush it with grenades can finish it quicker, but pay for the asset and get less XP due to a lack of time to loot. The van also comes with a chance of having to fight an escape, while the helicopter logically doesn't.

Moreover, there should be no stealth-only heists. Rather, heists like Shadow Raid, Car Shop or the Yacht Heist - which have less flimsy justifications for having to be done on the quiet - should grant larger XP and cash payouts if done in stealth. But there should be a loud option for people who just want to shoot poo poo up. No, the fact that there are plenty more loud-only heists shouldn't matter, because this is about giving players a choice rather than insisting that they must play the game only as the developers intend.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I can't think of a single stealth only heist that I would want to play loud. And a lot of stealthable maps that have a loud option usually gently caress up one of the two approaches; having a map designed with one approach in mind gives a better end result.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

I can't think of a single stealth only heist that I would want to play loud. And a lot of stealthable maps that have a loud option usually gently caress up one of the two approaches; having a map designed with one approach in mind gives a better end result.
And many eschew the idea that maybe, just maybe, your stealth progress should actually count for something.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

maswastaken posted:

And many eschew the idea that maybe, just maybe, your stealth progress should actually count for something.

...how about the fact that it's easier to complete the objectives when you don't have a continual stream of enemies attacking you? I'm not certain what you mean, here.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
He's referring to how, in this game, failure in a stealth heist is usually total and unsalvageable. No matter how far you get in terms of map objectives. Barring extreme cases where you're detected when carrying the last bag and 5m from the van in Shadow Raid.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The most egregious example is still Framing Frame day 3 after all these years.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Even with the loud fail state, Yacht Heist feels like a stealth level done right to me at least, if more were like it I'd love it.

Even on OD it's completely doable solo, guards don't come in to replace dead guys so you can depopulate a useful to run through area and not worry about rounding a corner into backup guys, the guards also don't have any stupid spidey sense to path straight after you when you use the laptop or open a container or something, the guard density even on OD is high enough to be challenging without being ridiculous to get through, there's no long bag hustle back to the start, the last objective goes decently quick and is right next to the exit so even if you fumble into going loud right at the end there's still a good chance you can run it in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wastrel_ posted:

Or people could actually be permitted to play a game they paid money for the way that they want to.

In fairness, Overkill has done much more since then to incentivize players to play the different heists, and to incentivize players to cook meth on Rats specifically - eg XP bonuses for varying one's choice of heists to calculating XP according to the number of bags secured. But I still think people should be allowed to rush through Rats on Mayhem and above without cooking a single bag. Since the XP and payout differs so greatly between cooking and not cooking, the original idea of straight up incapacitating everyone if you blow the lab on Day 1 is already outdated.

It sounds like you think I don't agree with this when it's exactly what I said. :confused: Unless you're just that salty about heat penalties.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Remove the heat penalty
Eliminate the restrictions on how many heists can get the maximum heat bonus
Allow clients to take their host's heat bonus if it's higher than theirs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Are people operating under the belief that XP is somehow hard to come by in this game? The heat system is perfectly fine.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah if you want to argue about the heat system travel back in time 3 years to when you could get a 100% penalty.

The heat system is fine now, and you literally trip over XP. It's actually gotten to the point where you level up faster than you can actually learn the game.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It's gotten to a point where what makes going infamous take so long is now earning the offshore money.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Discendo Vox posted:

Are people operating under the belief that XP is somehow hard to come by in this game? The heat system is perfectly fine.

Nah, it's just that the heat system is bad at the design goal of pushing people to do heists they don't often do because the top-tier bonus always gets filled by something godawful that nobody wants to run. Also, they fell into the "experience fatigue" design trap that's been around since before WoW, which is embarrassing to see.

Anything to do with the XP system isn't even on my top ten Payday design issues.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
A piratey loud yacht heist might be fun - make it a drug cartel's smuggling ship that we need to steal - use a micro submarine to load loot in.

Anyway, I played in a 900 level crime spree slaughterhouse level and it was still easier than OD. Even at that level, cops do less damage than OD although they chewed up 2 sets of converted cops (with maxed out joker skills so they had max damage resistance)

The host admitted to hacking to getting to that level of crime spree but he clearly wasn't hacking in the game. He went down more than anyone else and had lowest skills.

Basic idea is still the same as OD - minimize contact with cops, focus on objectives, get out as soon as possible.

We tried for FBI server next, but got swarmed by specials and someone kept spamming grenades in the server room. Host abandoned game to save our crime sprees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

You forgot the other 2 chapters.

"The Jules Strikes Back"
and "Return of the Wilko"