Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol at this curry hater

Can't curry favor with your South Asian friends like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Manuel Calavera posted:

I think that's the "what did you make for dinner?" thread. Try 5-8 pages back from current. I think that was a month or two ago.

Thanks. It was from November actually, from the previous thread of that title, and better than I remembered

mich posted:

"Mister Macys posted:

2.) Forgot to add chopsticks to the presentation.
Hey, maybe don't feel like this is a thing you should have done. Do you need to include a fork if you're presenting a plate of pasta? Asian food can stand for itself without adding exoticizing props.

Mister Macys posted:

What's your problem dude? Nothing wrong with a little authenticity.

And you use a spoon for KD, everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

theres a will theres moe posted:

Made apple cinnamon muffins tonight. Used Fuji apples, of course.

Cloks posted:

I skipped breakfast.

kumba posted:

i didnt

kumba posted:

happy thanksgiving

(Man it's hard to quote posts from a closed thread)

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

belt posted:

Is this where we demean a movement with actual merit by focusing on trivial poo poo like Facebook recipe sharing groups? BRB everyone, gonna go yell at dudes that hold doors open for women because feminism is also important to me.

It's not a recipe sharing group. It's a group where people solicit and offer help and advice. It was started by low income people for low income people. It's become broader now but the point of the OP was totally within the mandate of the group, and the line of attack that happened here literally happens everyday.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Wait, so when my favorite Chinese restaurant's chef, a Chinese man from China, experiments with his recipes and makes them in a way that is not traditionally Chinese, is that also appropriation? Is he appropriating his own culture for white people? I want to know where this loving crazy line is drawn.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Ularg posted:

Oh here's one of those Imgur posts where you can see the projection from OP from a mile away.

http://imgur.com/gallery/R3w8F

Dude is really mad he got friendzoned and just wanted to make a post about that and watching women getting hosed with.

Good summary.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Nuebot posted:

Yes, now stop appropriating my bags of milk,
Ok, ok. But how about a quick feel? :q:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sir Mix-a-lot has a lot to answer for.
Indeed. My tiny buttocks did not keep me safe from anaconda attacks.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

genetic_knockout posted:

So anecdotally at least, it seems like no one actually gives a poo poo and just instead are really happy if you just try.

Near as I can tell it's a *-American thing. First gen immigrants don't get too upset about it. But ethnic minorities raised in the U.S. can get upset.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol at this curry hater

Cumin smells incredible anyway.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Voyager posted:

Wait, so when my favorite Chinese restaurant's chef, a Chinese man from China, experiments with his recipes and makes them in a way that is not traditionally Chinese, is that also appropriation? Is he appropriating his own culture for white people? I want to know where this loving crazy line is drawn.

It's not a hard and fast line; it's just an attempt to be courteous and respectful of where stuff comes from and who actually created it. That's cultural exchange and it's what you're doing when you get a curry recipe off your Indian coworkers. Appropriation would be getting a recipe from the Food Network and then lecturing those coworkers on how they're doing it wrong. Don't be a dick to people about their food, and don't act like some master of x-cuisine because you've been exposed to it a bit. Also don't be a racist rear end in a top hat who chows down on the food you mock certain groups for eating.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

there wolf posted:

It's not a hard and fast line; it's just an attempt to be courteous and respectful of where stuff comes from and who actually created it. That's cultural exchange and it's what you're doing when you get a curry recipe off your Indian coworkers. Appropriation would be getting a recipe from the Food Network and then lecturing those coworkers on how they're doing it wrong. Don't be a dick to people about their food, and don't act like some master of x-cuisine because you've been exposed to it a bit. Also don't be a racist rear end in a top hat who chows down on the food you mock certain groups for eating.

That would be better described as "being an arsehole". It seems like Tumblr has its underpants-of-choice in a twist over simply "eating or preparing food from another country", which is usually called "trying new things" rather than "cultural appropriation" and considered healthy (mentally I mean).

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

That would be better described as "being an arsehole". It seems like Tumblr has its underpants-of-choice in a twist over simply "eating or preparing food from another country", which is usually called "trying new things" rather than "cultural appropriation" and considered healthy (mentally I mean).

Don't take Tumblr to be anything other than the rantings of angry, stupid teenagers.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
"Cultural appropriation", along with other internet movements like Health at Any Size, is bullying for pussies. Every time I see those assholes it's on the internet hurling abuse at some tiny Facebook page. I guarantee that if they went to the local food fair and saw some huge bro-looking dude cooking up a batch of ethnically-inappropriate food they wouldn't say poo poo, because they only pick on targets they know will fold and apologize.

I'm Facebook friends with a girl I went to college with who fell way, way down the Health at Any Size rabbit hole, and all I ever see her do is insult random thin women and small fitness pages, tagging every one of her HAAS buddies to dogpile anyone who doesn't immediately apologise. One of the local gyms has a huge poster outside with a picture of a fit woman in workout gear with the caption "be the real you" or some poo poo, why don't you go protest them? Because someone might tell you to gently caress off to your face and you don't have the spoons to deal with your high school flashbacks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

John Big Booty posted:

My tiny buttocks

Possibly the worst username/post combo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

"Cultural appropriation", along with other internet movements like Health at Any Size, is bullying for pussies. Every time I see those assholes it's on the internet hurling abuse at some tiny Facebook page. I guarantee that if they went to the local food fair and saw some huge bro-looking dude cooking up a batch of ethnically-inappropriate food they wouldn't say poo poo, because they only pick on targets they know will fold and apologize.

I'm Facebook friends with a girl I went to college with who fell way, way down the Health at Any Size rabbit hole, and all I ever see her do is insult random thin women and small fitness pages, tagging every one of her HAAS buddies to dogpile anyone who doesn't immediately apologise. One of the local gyms has a huge poster outside with a picture of a fit woman in workout gear with the caption "be the real you" or some poo poo, why don't you go protest them? Because someone might tell you to gently caress off to your face and you don't have the spoons to deal with your high school flashbacks.

I did it, I found the idiot on social media.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

CharlestheHammer posted:

I didn't know it was a country.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

sticking chopsticks right into rice is for praying to ancestors so RIP to Doom Rooster's relatives

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder Conservapedia's creator has an EE degree and doesn't believe in the number i.

i is not a number.
i is a free man.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The cultural appropriation thing is probably the most significant "Oh go gently caress yourself" I've felt over Tumblr. Like, go to all these restaurants that specialize in cuisine from their country and ask them if they would be okay losing all their customers that weren't the same ethnicity. Growing up I lived a short walk away from a Mom&Pop sushi bar in Miami Lakes. It was basically my families go to ever since I was a baby. My dad would get off work and hang out with the owner chatting over a few beers, every chance we had to eat out was first responded with "Can we go get Sushi?" and I have so many great memories of that place. Imagine just how loving close-minded people would be if they weren't ever allowed outside of their ethnicity-bubble. It's doing the opposite of being inclusive and it pisses me off.

Anyway, there's a youtube channel of a cool person talking about cool space stuff. But the cool person is also a woman, so you get comments like this:

https://channel/UCw95T_TgbGHhTml4xZ9yIqg/featured

Also have this random :psyduck: on a video about the youtuber getting a Tattoo.

GOTTA BOLD EVERYTHING

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Stoatbringer posted:

i is not a number.
i is a free man.

Imaginary numbers
are a fine and wonderful
refuge of the divine spirit,
almost an amphibian between
being and non-being
~Gottfried Wilhelm Liebnitz

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Turn

on

your monitor

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Cultural appropriation is poo poo like "natural black hair and hairstyles aren't attractive or desirable and can get you fired for looking unprofessional...unless you're white then we'll even give them a hip new name to obscure the black origins!"

And if people are such shitheads about relatively benign things like hair, how much do you think they're willing to double down on the really bad poo poo? Get your strawmen straight :cmon:

Guest2553 has a new favorite as of 14:05 on Apr 16, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Near as I can tell it's a *-American thing. First gen immigrants don't get too upset about it. But ethnic minorities raised in the U.S. can get upset.
Yeah, whiny yanks are my experience with it. Pretty funny in some Eurogroups where they try to pull this sorta trash tier idpol and get clowned for it.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Cultural appropriation doing things like making "Indian" a Halloween costume for kids is bad. Using the term cultural appropriation as an excuse to yell at white people making curry is also bad. Turns out there's nuance to a social issue. Who'd have thunk it?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How does "cultural appropriation" work in the context of things like fusion cuisine restaurants

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Hey look it's that "10 scariest theories known to man" post again: http://imgur.com/gallery/YKIKY

I like how every time it's the exact same post and there's always Roko's Basilisk

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

goose willis posted:

How does "cultural appropriation" work in the context of things like fusion cuisine restaurants
Cultural appropriation is an actual thing, and it doesn't mean "white people can't eat curry". ie:

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Cultural appropriation doing things like making "Indian" a Halloween costume for kids is bad. Using the term cultural appropriation as an excuse to yell at white people making curry is also bad. Turns out there's nuance to a social issue. Who'd have thunk it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
The war on Easter is real

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

saying 'tumblr' is upset about something is around as accurate as saying 'something awful' is upset about something

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
"Tumblr" in this context = teenagers with too much time on their hands

Of course now Those Darn Teens have moved on to some network I've never heard of.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I bet it's Sconex

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

saying 'tumblr' is upset about something is around as accurate as saying 'something awful' is upset about something

It's more like saying Twitter is upset about something, I'd say.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In my experience, tumblr has a more widely distributed range of opinions than Something Awful does.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Plom Bar posted:

It's more like saying Twitter is upset about something, I'd say.

true, something awful is too small to be comparable

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Tumblr is like living in the world's worst trailer park, governed by the world's worst HOA.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

goose willis posted:

Hey look it's that "10 scariest theories known to man" post again: http://imgur.com/gallery/YKIKY

I like how every time it's the exact same post and there's always Roko's Basilisk

"Indeed much of modern western life is devoted to the avoidance of death, the various euphemisms and stock phrases, the entire funeral home industry that serves to remove death from the ordinary course of life,"

Oh man the entire funeral home industry even?!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The funeral home industry exists to scam the gently caress out of grieving families, don't give them some kind of noble societal purpose Mr. .JPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Funerals dictate that you have to spend thousands to honour your dead loved ones. Thousands spent on putting them in an expensive box and then letting them rot in the ground, or burning them to ash.

just let med students cut up my corpse then toss the rest into a big ditch, i don't really give a gently caress what happens to my body when i'm dead since i won't be using it anymore