Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sea Sponge Run posted:

God I thought Yusuke was boring but then i started doing his link and he's battshit and I love him

Yusuke's link is a highlight of the game. Make sure you get to rank 4 proficiency though, it gates some of his higher ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I really didn't like him to start, but then he grew on me.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
December Palace question, maybe spoilery:

I'm ready to send the calling card. If I do will it skip the remaining days in the game?
My party members don't seem to be showing up for linking, so not sure if I need to get it over with, or if I'm going to miss out on linking opportunities

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm at the end of May and all my stats are at 2. Should I be prioritizing confidants or raising stats?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:vince:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

God I thought Yusuke was boring but then i started doing his link and he's battshit and I love him

Yusuke is the funniest character in the game. He's great.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

geri_khan posted:

I'm ready to send the calling card. If I do will it skip the remaining days in the game?
My party members don't seem to be showing up for linking, so not sure if I need to get it over with, or if I'm going to miss out on linking opportunities

The game suggests this, but no, you will be fine up to the hard deadline to do Confidant stuff if you want to do it early. I waited until close to the deadline for dramatic purposes though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

geri_khan posted:

no

Also ending spoilers.

This game was chock-full of irredeemable dickbags. Just top to bottom all the way through. The amount of mustache twirling evil in the same was so deep that I honestly thought the last boss would be some weird-god thing distorting everybody's desires and making them depraved, rather than simply subservient

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah, I really didn't like him to start, but then he grew on me.

His intro is so bad and creepy.

Its weird because he really drops that almost instantly once he becomes a party member too, and his interactions/link are fantastic from that point on. But goddamn did I thoroughly dislike the dude when he first showed up.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Oh my god, Yusuke's early design

I honestly kinda wish they went for this, same with the early design of Ann where she just has her hair down

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the more of haru's confidant I do the more she moves up my ranking of party members. being way into horror movies the same way makoto is way into yakuza movies and actually being into all the dumb joke options these games let you pick makes me rly wish she was in the game more

really I feel like a safe way to rank the party is based on what kind of movies they invite you to

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

All of the Confidants are useful and it would be great to level them all but instead you must go to sleep.

Yeah honestly the only one that doesn't really matter or help at all is Devil. And there are a lot of good Devil Persona! I actually think Sojiro's later ranks are pretty useless, because while the items you can make at high ranks are nice, by the time you can and will actually cap Sojiro you'll be at the end of the game and have a whole lot of other SP recovery going on like accessories, Persona with skills like Life Aid and Heat Up, and Futaba's passive SP recovery.

I maxed every confidant except Tower (8) and Hanged (7) on my first playthrough without a guide, and it annoyed me more than loving up terribly would've because I realized that if I'd spent like one week somewhere in there more efficiently I could've had a perfect game. Didn't get any of the book/game/DVD trophies, tho.

Moltrey posted:

Oh my god, Yusuke's early design

I honestly kinda wish they went for this, same with the early design of Ann where she just has her hair down

My favorite early design is still greaser Kanji :/

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm at proficiency two in July, I have about 19 free days so I should be able to get it higher. Making tools is pretty much it right? Combo it with the fortune teller boost as well.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

JackDarko posted:

I'm at proficiency two in July, I have about 19 free days so I should be able to get it higher. Making tools is pretty much it right? Combo it with the fortune teller boost as well.

there's a bunch of dvd's and a video game that get you 3 notes every use.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ChrisBTY posted:

no

Also ending spoilers.

This game was chock-full of irredeemable dickbags. Just top to bottom all the way through. The amount of mustache twirling evil in the same was so deep that I honestly thought the last boss would be some weird-god thing distorting everybody's desires and making them depraved, rather than simply subservient

The ironic point made by the final villain is that the assholes you dealt with in the game were also defying its law and order--even if they were acting out of truly callous self-interest, they were in fact embracing their humanity, and thus defying this evil god. A big part of why he didn't kill you at the start, by my estimation, is do that you could corral these stray egos and help squash dissent in his grotesque kingdom of heaven. I guess there's an argument to be made for why one must tolerate the presence of selfishness and evil in the world; to try and see it wiped out entirely is to try and wipe out humanity's...well, humanity.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

darealkooky posted:

the more of haru's confidant I do the more she moves up my ranking of party members. being way into horror movies the same way makoto is way into yakuza movies and actually being into all the dumb joke options these games let you pick makes me rly wish she was in the game more

really I feel like a safe way to rank the party is based on what kind of movies they invite you to

Ryuji has you go to The Cake Knight Rises which is amazing.

Ann is a weird Love, Actually parody I guess.

And Yusuke has you go to Les Mis

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 16, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best persona 2 reference in this game is that futaba sakura's ultimate persona is the same as baofu's, and baofu and sojiro have the same voice actor in japanese

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

PirateBob posted:

I'm at the end of May and all my stats are at 2. Should I be prioritizing confidants or raising stats?

Stats because a lot of confidants are stat gated

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finished the tower of burger, I see no need to continue playing the game now.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

the best persona 2 reference in this game is that futaba sakura's ultimate persona is the same as baofu's, and baofu and sojiro have the same voice actor in japanese

That's pretty loving dope.

What other P2 references did you spot? I got the obvious ones like Joker, and I recall noticing a few things throughout the game. Compared to P3 and P4, this game is much more willing to reference the previous generation of Persona, hopefully as quiet teases at a future title with an adult cast.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Forever ignore any advice given by anyone telling you to skip Temperance. Get Temperance, max temperance, marry temperance

I agree strongly, after seeing the benefits super late with her making coffee or curry almost every night I'm looking forward to maxing her and Sojiro early and never having to worry about SP again, though the adhesives cover lot of that as well I want to at least put a kickin rad accessory on Joker to make him more of a beast. I also want to read all the books, so I want her giving me slack off time in class asap.

I gotta actually put the time into Fortune early next game too, I won't need the social stat boosting but being able to pay to magically raise my rank with anyone on any given day is super useful, though since I also really want to end up with everything possible in my room there are probably certain people I won't really want to use it on (except Ann, god Ann you took forever to rank up I literally ran out of new places to take you).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Baofu's ultimate Persona was Hastur and I will not hear otherwise.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What other P2 references did you spot? I got the obvious ones like Joker, and I recall noticing a few things throughout the game. Compared to P3 and P4, this game is much more willing to reference the previous generation of Persona, hopefully as quiet teases at a future title with an adult cast.
iirc there was a Neo Featherman episode on TV specifically about all but one of the Feathermen losing their memories of each other or something that I thought ruled

I love the Featherman references are just whatever in the modern Persona universe, but is actually a really good and important Persona 2 pull

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Ann and Lisa are fairly similar, Yusuke's skill card gimmick is the same as the Demon Painter and he has a fairly similar design to Jun, and there's obviously the return of the nuclear element.

I think part of the reason for the P2 references is that it's an anniversary game and also might be the P3-P5 director's last persona game, since he's doing that fantasy RPG game and mentioned that he sometimes feels constrained by the modern-day setting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well that's that. Good game.

ending spoilers: It felt weird just how sharply Goro fell off. I was expecting something with him in the epilogue at least during your Confidant goodbyes, even just something like sae giving you his journal where he wrote about how he really wishes you two could be friends, or something.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

P5 is hard to top, but if they did something like a Persona all stars where all the characters from like, P2-P5 join together as adults, or have each member of the cast in there to some degree as adults and you play as a new teen cast, I think that would be a drat hard bar to surpass. If nothing else I want rookie cop Makoto paired with seasoned cop Chie pulling off kung-fu moves on perps.

I do think a Persona game with adult characters is a logical next step though if they want to freshen things up, although the formula they use now of a high school setting will never get old with me personally it'd be fun to see a broader range of possible activities and make your job, or jobs, the thing that eat up your afternoons instead of school. May as well go full subversion and make the antagonists teenagers too, maybe they pick up Persona powers but are the ones using them in an rear end in a top hat way instead of lovely adults doing that.

I'm sure when P6 comes out in 8 years it'll be high school time again, but it's fun to imagine other approaches they could take.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

NowonSA posted:

P5 is hard to top, but if they did something like a Persona all stars where all the characters from like, P2-P5 join together as adults, or have each member of the cast in there to some degree as adults and you play as a new teen cast, I think that would be a drat hard bar to surpass. If nothing else I want rookie cop Makoto paired with seasoned cop Chie pulling off kung-fu moves on perps.

I do think a Persona game with adult characters is a logical next step though if they want to freshen things up, although the formula they use now of a high school setting will never get old with me personally it'd be fun to see a broader range of possible activities and make your job, or jobs, the thing that eat up your afternoons instead of school. May as well go full subversion and make the antagonists teenagers too, maybe they pick up Persona powers but are the ones using them in an rear end in a top hat way instead of lovely adults doing that.

I'm sure when P6 comes out in 8 years it'll be high school time again, but it's fun to imagine other approaches they could take.

Persona 6 should have you going to High School in the sky city above Tokyo from SMT4.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Coffee dad's final rank scene :unsmith:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

I have no idea what university life is like in Japan, or how similar/dissimilar it is to college in the United States, but that seems like a really obvious possible direction that would let them mix the game up and do new kinds of side stories while maintaining the same basic structure.

We were posting a little about it last night, but it almost feels like some of the characters in Persona 5 (Ann and Yusuke were the two that came to mind for me) would already have made at least as much sense as college students rather than highschool ones.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

I think part of the reason for the P2 references is that it's an anniversary game and also might be the P3-P5 director's last persona game, since he's doing that fantasy RPG game and mentioned that he sometimes feels constrained by the modern-day setting.

What's this now?

And so it has been the same director for all three then? That's pretty goddamn impressive, the guy spent a decade crafting a super trilogy of RPGs. If the series undergoes another radical shift after this, then these three games will be a legacy for sure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Coffee dad's final rank scene :unsmith:

A very good dad. :3:

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like how Yusuke's eyeliner makes him look like a Kaneko design. I'll claim that as a vague reference to older games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What's this now?

And so it has been the same director for all three then? That's pretty goddamn impressive, the guy spent a decade crafting a super trilogy of RPGs. If the series undergoes another radical shift after this, then these three games will be a legacy for sure.
project re fantasy. it's really early in development but it seems interesting.

And yeah, the director for P3-P5 has been Katsura Hashino. He directed Nocturne too. A french TV show did an episode on him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGb3BNgU7SE

He talks a bit about some of the locales and stuff that inspired Persona 5, and also mentions the pros and cons of working with a modern-day setting. He seemed to want Persona 5 to be his magnum opus when it came to SMT games, so whenever Persona 6 happens I wouldn't be surprised if it had a new director. He made a new studio at Atlus to work on Re Fantasy, and he mentioned that the Persona studio, P-Studio, will continue working, which implies someone is taking his place at the helm there while he moves on to Re Fantasy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What's this now?

A while back they said that they were working on a fantasy RPG, but haven't really given much info beyond that

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Persona spoilers in case anyone cares: So is my man Helel not in this one? Since I never got to the 90s in 4, he was my main guy as well as Yoshitsune for cheesing the entire end of that game. Any Persona comparable to what he got, skill-wise? I know he was basically a knock-off version of Lucifer, but dammit he was my knock-off!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Endorph posted:

And yeah, the director for P3-P5 has been Katsura Hashino. He directed Nocturne too. A french TV show did an episode on him:

He talks a bit about some of the locales and stuff that inspired Persona 5, and also mentions the pros and cons of working with a modern-day setting. He seemed to want Persona 5 to be his magnum opus when it came to SMT games, so whenever Persona 6 happens I wouldn't be surprised if it had a new director. He made a new studio at Atlus to work on Re Fantasy, and he mentioned that the Persona studio, P-Studio, will continue working, which implies someone is taking his place at the helm there while he moves on to Re Fantasy.

As far as Magnum Opuses go, this is certainly one to feel good about.
Probably GotY for me unless BotW is as good as they say it is. (I'll find out this week I hope).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

more ending spoilers. Are you able to get Satanael on ng+?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yep.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah. He's this game's equivalent to Orpheus Talos and Izanagi-no-Okami, so it'd be weirder if you couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

This is a pro-click, it's impressive to see how far he's come. SMT: Nocturne remains among my favorite games period, and I think it still holds up to this day. I'll be looking forward to this fantasy RPG for sure.