Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kai Tave posted:

Remind me again what was so wrong with Paranoia XP that we needed a new edition that hosed everything up?

Mongoose wasn't making any money off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kai Tave posted:

Remind me again what was so wrong with Paranoia XP that we needed a new edition that hosed everything up?

Money.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

DalaranJ posted:

Hmm, I thought that was a subtle but incredibly poorly thought out joke about Mass Effect.

My takeaway moment that this edition probably doesn't 'get it' is that they removed Communists.
Communists are still in. The initial pitch was that the Communists felt upstaged by terrorists and want to reclaim the spotlight as Most Hated. What did get excised from Communists are the humor and lifestyle that they originally had. They are no longer a bunch of clones who decided that if the Computer hates something it must be fun and they base their whole organization on misunderstanding of Communism and its figureheads (the classic "has a picture of John Lennon" goof). Instead they are presented as grim and determined revolutionaries attempting to overthrow the Computer's regime and force a change into a Communist state. Absolutely none of the old flavor is presented and everything I said in that last sentence is all there really is to them. It's absolutely played straight with the only real winks toward the old style is that sometimes you might be allowed to drive the Tractor and they now produce comic books that star a talking Hammer and Sickle.

And that really wasn't meant to be a Mass Effect joke on my end, I sincerely do think that looking at the small parts like that are a great way to see the big problems that came together to make the changes in front of me.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hostile V posted:

And that really wasn't meant to be a Mass Effect joke on my end, I sincerely do think that looking at the small parts like that are a great way to see the big problems that came together to make the changes in front of me.

All of those things that you complained about are accurate. I meant on their part. Mass Effect 1 had battery packs instead of bullets because the future and then they went back to bullets in future installments because of complaints. It's probably an overread on my part. It's more likely the joke is about having to plug things you carry around all the time in regularly to recharge them, which is potentially a good gag but they forgot to explain how the joke works to the GM.

Edit: Also I found the Fatal & Friends on [redacted] edition. I think given my maturity level when I played it, I can see why I didn't notice anything wrong. Aside from the fact that, I pulled a D&D and threw out all the rules I didn't like.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 17, 2017

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This new edition sounds like it sucks real bad.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
I wonder if it's worth throwing the money at the highest tier of Aeon's end. Will probably still be deciding right up to the end and just do it anyway. Go me.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Hostile V posted:

• Really not a fan of the Computer dice idea which is something you must roll at all times and on a 6 the Computer intervenes and automatically helps and costs you a Moxie point.
  • I don't have much to say about the card system because I just...really did not find it to be particularly approachable. This new system has the cards take preference over everything else and playing them is basically like playing the card game Bullshit. Cards are burned to attempt to defend in melee. Cards are burned to use equipment. There are Equipment, Action, Reaction and Mutant Power cards. Everything else boils down to "pick a stat and a skill and you do that after everything card-related has been dealt with".

Two quick things, because I don't really want to defend Paranoia until I've run it at least once but these points in your post bugged me because they read to me as counter-factual:
-The Computer doesn't automatically help on a 6, it just pops up and does Something. It's basically a prompt for the GM to make things go wrong, and basically that's the whole game, just players and a GM throwing story prompts at one another, which is not XP, but, I don't know, I think it's fine as a concept?
-The card system is really not that complicated but the Player's Handbook, in trying way too hard to be cute, makes it sound way harder to understand. (Which is a big problem in and of itself) You play a card for its Action Order. When your number is called (or earlier if you bluff), you either do a basic stat+skill action and take the card back without revealing it, you resolve the card and discard it (unless it's a mutant power), or, if what you played was an Action card, you can burn the card to get a bonus on a basic action. You don't do basic actions after everything else, you do them when the card says you do them, or when you say the cards says you do them.

e: I will also add that there are meatier rules for Secret Societies, but instead of being in the core game like they should have been, they're in the extra card pack Mongoose wants you to pay money for.

ElNarez fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 17, 2017

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Thanks for the clarifications, that's just how I read them in the moment. I will admit to kind of having a mental snowball of disappointment and that definitely colored how I was viewing these parts of the game.

Also wow really with the secret society cards. I kind of saw that coming but at the same time I'm really just heavily annoyed at how much flavor they kept out for each one in the loving GM book. Also I generally just find it a massive bugaboo that as-written PURGE or another actual terrorist group have been removed as a play option because that just flat feels like part of how they're shying away from actually committing acts of sabotage and subterfuge. I know that the GM can just add it and there are blank card templates, but...

Man it feels strange for this to be my first time possessing intense enough emotional investment in a game to solicit this kind of reaction to the new edition being Weird And Different.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hostile V posted:

Man it feels strange for this to be my first time possessing intense enough emotional investment in a game to solicit this kind of reaction to the new edition being Weird And Different.

That's because usually new editions of games at least understand their core concepts even if they change the mechanics. Unless the annotated edition has lengthy loving screeds in it about why they changed the underlying tone of the game itself (which, even in Zap games, was still pretty dark), I'm going to continue to believe that nobody on the writing and editorial staff understood how the game was supposed to work.

Edit: and I'm certainly not going to pay 50 bucks to find out.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Also wow really with the secret society cards. I kind of saw that coming but at the same time I'm really just heavily annoyed at how much flavor they kept out for each one in the loving GM book. Also I generally just find it a massive bugaboo that as-written PURGE or another actual terrorist group have been removed as a play option because that just flat feels like part of how they're shying away from actually committing acts of sabotage and subterfuge. I know that the GM can just add it and there are blank card templates, but...

So, in addition to having actual rules for playing with Secret Societies (as in, you get an additional set of cards that give you a relationship to your secret society, and goals to go along with those relationships), the Secret Society card pack also has PURGE. (And, in what is actually a pretty good joke to me, four different Communist sub-factions) Depending on your reward tier, you might have it as a PDF. It's seriously baffling to me how that wasn't part of the main boxset.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ElNarez posted:

It's seriously baffling to me how that wasn't part of the main boxset.
How much does it cost? There's your answer.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dwarf74 posted:

How much does it cost? There's your answer.

Yep, the entire card thing is just a blatant cash grab to begin with, and I wouldn't be surprised if by this time next year they've released even more cards in an attempt to squeeze additional money from fans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

Do you love 5e? Do you miss 3rd party splat book bloat? Do you want to back a project from a creator who's chronically late?

Boy, do I have the Kickstarter for you!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/enworld/a-touch-of-class-7-new-classes-for-5th-edition

Already 4,400% funded!

Why in the poo poo is the Noble a class that exists in a game about going into Dungeons and slaying Dragons

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why in the poo poo is the Noble a class that exists in a game about going into Dungeons and slaying Dragons

Because Paladin is too holy and not like a Disney Prince who Dave's the say even though you could probably just swap the words God and divine power with king and
well, divine power. Besides, nerds love new classes even if they're not substantially different than another one.

Fake edit: I meant saves the day but

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ominous Jazz posted:

Because Paladin is too holy and not like a Disney Prince who Dave's the say even though you could probably just swap the words God and divine power with king and
well, divine power. Besides, nerds love new classes even if they're not substantially different than another one.

Fake edit: I meant saves the day but

I think descending into word salad is an appropriate response here, honestly.

5e needs more classes like the average person needs another hole in their head.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

ElNarez posted:

So, in addition to having actual rules for playing with Secret Societies (as in, you get an additional set of cards that give you a relationship to your secret society, and goals to go along with those relationships), the Secret Society card pack also has PURGE. (And, in what is actually a pretty good joke to me, four different Communist sub-factions) Depending on your reward tier, you might have it as a PDF. It's seriously baffling to me how that wasn't part of the main boxset.
Ah geez of course I didn't back at that tier. Thanks much for filling in the holes of what I was missing.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think it's possible to have an interesting and distinct Noble character type in D&D. Just probably not in a version of D&D where a level 20 non-caster OMFG capstone feature is +4 to an Ability score.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

That Old Tree posted:

I think it's possible to have an interesting and distinct Noble character type in D&D. Just probably not in a version of D&D where a level 20 non-caster OMFG capstone feature is +4 to an Ability score.

I think I saw a 5e homebrew for a "Princess" class once. Except it was really just a spellcaster with "Princessy" reflavored spells and a "Princessy"-tailored limited spell list.

Which kind of exposed how much of a loving farce the game's general class design is.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
The Drowned Earth looks like it might be pretty cool, but as a clumsy idiot who's spent hours gluing my fingers to orks, I can only read 'Beautifully cast, multi-part metal miniatures' as a dire warning.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I stumbled across EXUVIAE through a podcast, quite tempted. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1396553321/exuviae-relics-of-house-dragonfly/description

It's inexpensive (basic rules PDF for Ģ1), and revolves around using standard playing cards to generate a one-shot noir adventure.

The creator appears to have designed a few games in the past, and is a teacher, so hopefully good at explaining concepts.

I'll probably back it at the Ģ5 level (digital).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Brass is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/brass-an-industrial-revolution

$60 each or $100 for both.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And by gum, it's lovely.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That's an absolutely beautiful art redesign, but I'm a bit scared off by Brass because of the Shut Up & Sit Down video review (also Rahdo's):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k74ki2dBXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_dqnt-Z0_Y

I'm thinking it may be a bit too... I dunno, "thinky/AP Euro" for me?
Amazing board and artwork on the cards, though.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I'm disappointed that they aren't launching Birmingham as an expansion. The redundancy makes it a little pricey

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm disappointed that they aren't launching Birmingham as an expansion. The redundancy makes it a little pricey

I imagine there would be a ton of people whining about "having" to buy the new edition of a game they may already have to play with an expansion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm sure it would go down well if they put a sticker on the box saying "This is not a complete game! You will need a punchboard's worth of tiles and a few player discs from BRASS to play!"

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Jedit posted:

I'm sure it would go down well if they put a sticker on the box saying "This is not a complete game! You will need a punchboard's worth of tiles and a few player discs from BRASS to play!"

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of expansions or ...?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

It worked for Thurn & Taxis.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So it looks like Sigil - Powers of War isn't going to make it. They're going to be doing a lot of retooling (hiring Gloomhaven's graphic design team to do new layouts, faction specific player boards, etc.) and will relaunch eventually.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mojo Jojo posted:

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of expansions or ...?

I know this is sarcasm, but expansions don't typically replace 80% of the original game's components and then add more on top. The amount of new stuff in Brass: Birmingham is probably cost equivalent to making a new game anyway, so may as well add the extra punchboard and have it stand alone.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My copies of "What Ho, World" and "Wizard's Aren't Gentlemen" have arrived! They look wonderful, can't wait to try them out.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

cptn_dr posted:

My copies of "What Ho, World" and "Wizard's Aren't Gentlemen" have arrived! They look wonderful, can't wait to try them out.

Nice! Hope you have a great time with them. We're just putting the finishing touches to the Adventurer expansion so that should be with you soon. And then begin work on The Butler on the Threshold...

HazCat
May 4, 2009

senrath posted:

So it looks like Sigil - Powers of War isn't going to make it. They're going to be doing a lot of retooling (hiring Gloomhaven's graphic design team to do new layouts, faction specific player boards, etc.) and will relaunch eventually.

Why would anyone do this :psyduck:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What, Gloomhaven was popular I thought.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

senrath posted:

I apologise if you're part of the team or something, but this looks horribly generic.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The_Doctor posted:

I apologise if you're part of the team or something, but this looks horribly generic.

Nope, I just thought it looked decent when someone else linked it earlier in the thread.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

The_Doctor posted:

Ah yes, that's the one people pointed out managed to have no non-white people whatsoever in its art. Pretty sure someone came into the thread saying that was a mistake they were going to correct, but that doesn't seem to have happened on their KS page.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

What, Gloomhaven was popular I thought.

Yeah, but cutting fake runways in the jungle doesn't bring the planes back. And of all the aspects of Gloomhaven to cargo cult, they picked its graphic design?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

HazCat posted:

Yeah, but cutting fake runways in the jungle doesn't bring the planes back. And of all the aspects of Gloomhaven to cargo cult, they picked its graphic design?

Apparently the wise sentence "More often than not, game designers donīt know what makes their product popular" strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
well I hope that their re-launch does well. I like this kind of game and I'm optimistic about the design space advancing in the near term, but this version of the KS did seem like it was put out a little early. Hopefully with a bit more polish, inclusivity, and maybe a little more spent on ads they can have a really great kickstarter.