Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Hunt11 posted:

What are you talking about? Yes it does create some issues but I much rather spend time hanging out with my teammates then some random rear end in a top hat.

why do I need to be in a framework of "pick the one of three answers I want to hear and upgrade my Arbitrary Friend Level 10 times then never talk to me again" to interact with my anime friends, why can't that just be part of the actual game instead of shuffled off into the schrodingers box of side content where things may or may not be 'canon' and thus the main story can't actually reference any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

darealkooky posted:

why do I need to be in a framework of "pick the one of three answers I want to hear and upgrade my Arbitrary Friend Level 10 times then never talk to me again" to interact with my anime friends, why can't that just be part of the actual game instead of shuffled off into the schrodingers box of side content where things may or may not be 'canon' and thus the main story can't actually reference any of it.

Because I much rather do that with people who the story has made me care about then somebody who only exists to deal with a specific arcana. There is a good reason why in the P3P remake they made it so that you could hang out with all your teammates.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
in persona 3 original you couldn't S. Link with Koromaru until FeMC's route cause apparently the male protagonist is too stupid to want to hang out with a dog that lives in his house

so like, social links are wack

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

interacting with your party members is 98% of the cutscenes in the game dude, what

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Moltrey posted:

extremely this.

like obviously use what you want, but Chie has such a dire midspot where she just has noooooothing all that good aside from like six more medium Phys moves. Plus her stopping ice spells at Bufula is super weird. Meanwhile Kanji is better in like, every well numbers wise. The only change I made to my P4 team was swap out Chie for Kanji and then we were good to go. Yosuke was stupidly versatile, it was kinda silly and Yukiko was God Tier

Naoto was also not good, and I'm glad Goro is better than her too in every way though apparently Golden made Naoto pretty good. I'm worried I won't use Haru at all based on all I've heard about her but I'll see what she's got

Chie had the Galactic Punt for midgame and... yeah I got nothing. I mean it's funny seeing her punt minibosses into oblivion, but looking back, my first playthrough probably would've gone a lot smoother if I swapped Chie for Kanji until she got Power Charge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

darealkooky posted:

chie has way less strength and health than kanji (to the point where kanji can just hit you twice and match charge chie damage), doesn't learn ice moves after a while, learns basically zero useful moves for large parts of the game, has a less useful if not nearly as cool followup than kanji, has worse buffs and has comically low SP that means she can't even hit weaknesses for very long. kanji is way better than chie. golden tried to fix some of this by giving her more moves but then that game also gave kanji a healing spell and charge so now he's way more useful.

also naoto is sort of completely worthless because her intended niche of random battle deleter is downplayed by her showing up so drat late that you're at the point where you can just delete random battles with phys moves and she has a truly terrible stat spread.

:goonsay: about character tiers in a single player game that's not even that challenging.

Chie's better at the actual dungeon crawling part since Kanji doesn't get group physicals (other than ha Atom Smasher in Golden from hot springs), and Agneyestra is pretty darn great for the final dungeon. Yeah Kanji deletes bosses better but that's their divide.

P5 has the problem of Ryuji getting everything Yusuke gets other than different buffs/elements.

Naoto was probably the hardest character for them to balance since they just mashed Ken and Koromaru together with no utility other than death moves. It makes her a great dungeon crawler though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Harrow posted:

Naoto goes from "why bother using her" to "holy poo poo she's amazing" in Golden, if I remember correctly. She can learn all of the single-target -dyne spells, Mind Charge, and Heat Riser. She's really versatile and strong. Sure, she doesn't get boosts/amps like Yukiko does, but she's still fantastic.

I think my pick for best endgame party in Persona 4 is Yukiko, Kanji, and Naoto.

She actually does get ice boost(amp?) from one of the guns you can give her, so she's also great for that.

Also I've said it a lot but literally all they needed to do to make Chie useful is give her a severe phys skill with a high critrate instead of stopping at rainy death and giving kanji the straight up better in every way attack.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Question about the final boss: So what was with those debuffs the arms kept putting on my dudes? As far as I could reason they didn't actually stop me from doing anything because those party members could still act without penalty. Like, Haru was inflicted with Lust but she was free to act like nothing happened, then it faded. I did kill the arms quick though, does something happen if I don't?

lust has a chance of skipping your turn, and jealousy makes the person sometimes attack Joker after someone else's turn. Dunno about wrath cuz nothing happened in the turn it was active for me.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

Because I much rather do that with people who the story has made me care about then somebody who only exists to deal with a specific arcana. There is a good reason why in the P3P remake they made it so that you could hang out with all your teammates.

I mean you aren't wrong, but I feel that acting like p3 is the only result of not being able to slink with party members when that game was such a rough draft in so many ways is a lil unfair.

Besides, Confidants giving you cool perks even if they sort of suck themselves and all the potential for writing that comes from that concept of them being shady deals and not just random friends you make means that the problem of "well I guess I have to listen to this guy rant about how he wants to gently caress his teacher, it's that or just go to bed" previous games have isn't really a thing anymore. The general consensus is that ohya/devil is this games really bad slink but if you put her in the previous games she'd be mid tier at worst.

I definitely feel like they could've made it so you didn't have confidants w/ party members in this game and have it not end up being a huge mess like P3. It's not a problem that they didn't, but it does lead to awkwardness when you realize that the main game and the side game are basically locked in opposing jail cells and can't ever meet outside of super minor things.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
God Hand is infinitely cooler than whatever bullshit kanji uses, and kanji doesnt get power charge so QED benchwarmer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the main game and side game meet via the giant gameplay benefits

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

God Hand is infinitely cooler than whatever bullshit kanji uses, and kanji doesnt get power charge so QED benchwarmer
kanji does more damage than chie even without power charge

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SettingSun posted:

Question about the final boss: So what was with those debuffs the arms kept putting on my dudes? As far as I could reason they didn't actually stop me from doing anything because those party members could still act without penalty. Like, Haru was inflicted with Lust but she was free to act like nothing happened, then it faded. I did kill the arms quick though, does something happen if I don't?

It seems genuinely broken. Haru got envy'd at one point and at the end of our turns "Haru rages!" and she did a normal strike against another teammate but like... that was literally it. I just ignored the arms because that was the only time the statuses ever did anything.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

Chie had the Galactic Punt for midgame and... yeah I got nothing. I mean it's funny seeing her punt minibosses into oblivion, but looking back, my first playthrough probably would've gone a lot smoother if I swapped Chie for Kanji until she got Power Charge.
Kanji's good goof is seeing whatever big heavy thing he found to drag around to bash Shadows with

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Moltrey posted:

extremely this.

like obviously use what you want, but Chie has such a dire midspot where she just has noooooothing all that good aside from like six more medium Phys moves. Plus her stopping ice spells at Bufula is super weird. Meanwhile Kanji is better in like, every well numbers wise. The only change I made to my P4 team was swap out Chie for Kanji and then we were good to go. Yosuke was stupidly versatile, it was kinda silly and Yukiko was God Tier

Naoto was also not good, and I'm glad Goro is better than her too in every way though apparently Golden made Naoto pretty good. I'm worried I won't use Haru at all based on all I've heard about her but I'll see what she's got

Haru is easily one of the strongest characters in the game alongside Ryuji and Makoto.

One Shot Kill with Cripple+Sharpshooter, access to both Reflect skills, and Heat Riser is a hell of a thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i always guess the wrong sin

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Kanji already does more damage than Chie with Power Charge and Kanji gets Matarukaja

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I think God Hand had a lower base hit rate than the rest of the high end physical moves. Going power Charge - > God Hand into miss was infuriating.

Has Persona 5 been datamined yet in terms of ability stat and effects. What's the difference between God Hand and Sword Dance if they both say "deals colossal" damage to one foe? Man I do miss Persona 3's slash/bash/pierce physical attributes but I like a lot of data in RPGs to keep track off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think this game's gun/physical split is a good compromise in terms of physical attributes, i just wish guns weren't so underplayed until 80% of the way through

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Its hard to determine who the best in P5 is when you can so freely swap characters by just going into the stats menu and swapping up whos active whenever you want. That would have made past games so much more enjoyable with flipping the cast around whenever you want, and also makes Futaba's regen skill really useful. You can pop off a One-Shot-Kill on Haru and one of Ryuji's skills, then after a battle or two swap them out for Yusuke and Makoto (or Morgana) and keep Ann and Morgana in the backline to keep recovering their SP or bring them up when you start seeing a bunch of shadows weak to Wind/Fire. And of course bring out Goro to see his hilarious AOA finisher or some Curse/Bless bullshit.

I got to use the entire party this game, and it was fun.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 17, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Even at the end, Gun is really not thought out super much. There's a whole 4 Gun skills period, and One-Shot Kill is so far and away the best it's baffling. It only costs a tiny, TINY amount more than Triple Down as well which is honestly a strong second place. Meanwhile, you get Snap like immediately which is okay and then... nothing else at all for loving ever. I always felt like I was missing something there, but nope.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Listening to it without getting attacked by mummy dogs every minute, I will say that the fourth palace theme loving rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hazdoc posted:

Its hard to determine who the best in P5 is when you can so freely swap characters by just going into the stats menu and swapping up whos active whenever you want. That would have made past games so much more enjoyable with flipping the cast around whenever you want, and also makes Futaba's regen skill really useful. You can pop off a One-Shot-Kill on Haru and one of Ryuji's skills, then after a battle or two swap them out for Yusuke and Makoto (or Morgana) and keep Ann and Morgana in the backline to keep recovering their SP or bring them up when you start seeing a bunch of shadows weak to Wind/Fire. And of course bring out Goro to see his hilarious AOA finisher.

I got to use the entire party this game, and it was fun.
yeah, if there's one thing that'd make p4 and p3 basically unplayable in hindsight, it'd be lack of party swapping and exp for benched party members. I have no idea why P3 and P4 didn't give benched party members exp.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

kanji does more damage than chie even without power charge

Kanji is better than Chie in every way even without God Hand, yes. He gets better magic than Chie, does more damage normally, and if you happen to get a tough enemy on their back he stomps a loving hole through them.

Also he has better voice clips.

The only thing he can't do is kung-fu kick a tank into orbit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrQ5mOKwirE&t=53s

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I just use best girls Haru, Makoto, and Yusuke.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Yusuke has the best treasure opening animation too. A++.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also Teddie was a loving monster at least in the base game because he had incredibly high Evasion plus an Ice weakness, so if you put a "dodge Ice" accessory on him then even the Reaper would waste turn after turn trying to Bufudyne him as he gleefully pirouetted out of the way.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I could probably deal with that, but fusing Persona in 4 was a nightmare even back when I first did it. I can just load up a save and be all set with my not 100% optimized but still incredibly NG+ broken Persona, but boy oh boy, I wore out my X and O buttons backing out and entering the fusion results screen to see if the thing would inherit at least 50% of the skills I wanted.

gently caress that garbage. I never played Golden. If it ever ends up on PS4 I'd probably buy it at some point but the additions do sound really awesome. Otherwise I still have my PS2 hooked up and I can probably find a save online posted by a crazy person who did all that already.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Saint Freak posted:

his is very good, but I like Makoto's hand over her mouth surprised animation a lot too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I could probably deal with that, but fusing Persona in 4 was a nightmare even back when I first did it. I can just load up a save and be all set with my not 100% optimized but still incredibly NG+ broken Persona, but boy oh boy, I wore out my X and O buttons backing out and entering the fusion results screen to see if the thing would inherit at least 50% of the skills I wanted.

gently caress that garbage. I never played Golden
good news

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ApplesandOranges posted:

One thing I like is that almost all the party members feel pretty good in their set roles. The only weak link is probably Yusuke, as he's way too similar/inferior to Ryuji for a really long time and Tarukaja > Sukukaja. The divide there isn't as clean as Chie vs. Kanji. Ann being the only debuffer (til Akechi) is a little annoying since the Ma- buffs don't show up til quite late though. This means the MC is the only way to shore up offense and evasion reliably for quite a while. Yusuke should have gotten Rakunda or Sukunda.

I think P4 did balance better (none of the characters felt outright inferior since even Chie was better than Kanji for dungeons), but P5's alright. Ann is the only character that's completely reliant on SP, although by late game Makoto shouldn't really be using physicals anyway.

As usual people are underestimating best boy Yusuke. The power behind his baton pass skills is seriously massive and he has far better AoE skills than Ryuji does. My boyfriend is at the end of Palace 6 on Hard and has noted Yusuke critting a baton passed skill for like 600 damage when a crit from his MC was doing around 120.

I know the first thing to be brought up will be "but on bosses with no weaknesses you can't baton pass to Yusuke so he's clearly inferior to Ryuji's ability to Charge" but that's when you have The Tower social link and force a knockdown by unloading a clip on the boss.

Ryuji is probably better in a general play sense but Yusuke can do some crazy poo poo if you really play around his niche.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Final Dungeon

Thanks game for interfering with me every two steps to explain how to solve this extremely simple and self explanatory floor colour change puzzle. I would not have figured it out without your input. I'm truly thankful.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
He goes from "how gauche" to literally wagging his loving tail in like 2 seconds.

http://i.imgur.com/u3WHfGd.mp4

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Oxxidation posted:

Also Teddie was a loving monster at least in the base game because he had incredibly high Evasion plus an Ice weakness, so if you put a "dodge Ice" accessory on him then even the Reaper would waste turn after turn trying to Bufudyne him as he gleefully pirouetted out of the way.

Teddie resists Ice, he's weak to Elec.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

I have no idea why P3 and P4 didn't give benched party members exp.

those games at least meet you half way & give characters more exp if they're lower in level than what the number you get says. also in theory the tiredness system and free heal when returning to the bottom of tartarus (that made tired people leave) was a way to make you use everyone if you wanted to get areas done as efficiently as possible.

still stupid when DDS let you change party members in the menu whenever you wanted and swap people around mid fight but at least they tried.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

They way he points out treasure chests cracks me up.

"Look, Joker, a treasure chest. We can get more money"

The stress on the second sentence is basically his whole character defined.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As usual people are underestimating best boy Yusuke. The power behind his baton pass skills is seriously massive and he has far better AoE skills than Ryuji does. My boyfriend is at the end of Palace 6 on Hard and has noted Yusuke critting a baton passed skill for like 600 damage when a crit from his MC was doing around 120.

I know the first thing to be brought up will be "but on bosses with no weaknesses you can't baton pass to Yusuke so he's clearly inferior to Ryuji's ability to Charge" but that's when you have The Tower social link and force a knockdown by unloading a clip on the boss.

Ryuji is probably better in a general play sense but Yusuke can do some crazy poo poo if you really play around his niche.

Oh Yusuke has that nice spot where his ST damage is better, but Swift Strike is still crazy good (and beats anything Yusuke gets for a long while).

Also Baton Passing to a Charged Ryuji is just as insane.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Saint Freak posted:

He goes from "how gauche" to literally wagging his loving tail in like 2 seconds.

oh poo poo i never noticed his tail wags

that's amazing, i love this boy

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I thought you couldn't down bosses no matter what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Look Yusuke needs money okay? He was late to a movie date with me because he got off the train a stop earlier to save money, someone help him...

Saint Freak posted:

http://i.imgur.com/u3WHfGd.mp4

oh my god the tail wagging

oh my goooooood