Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Might want to change that. It's mooks. That one is a derogatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Gorp posted:

I wish only bosses materialized in Momentos. No gooks.
Run away from a Raper that spawns immediately and get to treasure chest enemies.
Dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Don Gato posted:

So, is the torture and forced confession a normal thing for the Japanese police? Everything I know about the Japanese legal system comes from Phoenix Wright, in that it is an inquisitorial system with an all powerful judge instead of using trial by jury like in the States.
i mean, cops beat the poo poo out of suspects in both america and japan. much like in america, there are a variety of rules and regulations forbidding that kind of thing, that often go ignored.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This game is good

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Mementos is great. If you remote play it on a vita while you watch MST3K. With the game sound off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway here's my pitch for persona 6: set in akihabara, entire game is anime jokes and poo poo memes, the velvet room is just a mobile game app on your phone that demands you pay 5000 yen for 3 rolls at a slot machine that might give you jack frost.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mementos is really not as bad as I was expecting. I let requests stack up and just put on a podcast for like 45 minutes and it's done. I'm fighting enemies from like two palaces ago so auto battle honestly isn't the worst idea. Plus so far the loot's been alright too

The Gorp posted:

No gooks.
watch it there

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It must be stylized as p6rsona though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

i lolled at this ingame

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Futaba wanted to hang out at the cafe on Sunday and it said it would increase my Guts so I went to Fortune to boost that. But I can't go back inside the cafe without it passing time? Is there really no way to hang out now

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Don Gato posted:

So, is the torture and forced confession a normal thing for the Japanese police? Everything I know about the Japanese legal system comes from Phoenix Wright, in that it is an inquisitorial system with an all powerful judge instead of using trial by jury like in the States.

Physical torture, not so much. The thing about the Japanese legal system is that convictions can be obtained purely through confession. There are safeguards in place in an attempt to avoid forced confessions (there needs to be evidence that only the perpetrator could have known certain facts from the confession, being the main one), but there have been a fair few miscarriage of justice cases where the confession was faked, or the confession was vague enough that it could theoretically apply to the case in question, but, well, didn't. Detention periods are also pretty long. One of the most notable known cases is the Shibushi Case, from back in 2003.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mementos need more song variety. Just wasn't feeling the one they used. It's like half a song. It wasn't much to look at but, honestly, I adore Persona 4 and I went through several dungeons that were exactly like Mementos except Mementos had the courtesy to be shorter and refresh treasures each time I went back to the previous floor.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Futaba wanted to hang out at the cafe on Sunday and it said it would increase my Guts so I went to Fortune to boost that. But I can't go back inside the cafe without it passing time? Is there really no way to hang out now

Yep. Do or die with Sunday hangouts.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dragonatrix posted:

There is, and it lets you keep, I believe, all of the bonuses they give you. You definitely get to keep their capstone ability at least which is great.

Well gently caress. Oh well, I saved all the important Personas in the compendium, so I can go finish the link without a whole lot of trouble, at least.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Generally back in the early 2000's, the police force of Japan had a very high conviction success but their conviction rate was lower than you think, because they do not convict someone unless they are absolutely sure. And once they have a conviction, they will not take no for an answer because of a reputation to maintain.

So basically if an archer hits 100% of bullseyes, but only shoots when he's right next to the target.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

For some reason I think I the thing I enjoyed the most was how much they've really improved the life sim stuff and the s links. I'm going to echo the sentiment of the poster here who curious how a full game just revolving around a life sim might work from the team

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

momentos would be better with a longer song. kooky jazz organs are cool, kooky jazz organs played on a 7 second loop are basically hell

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
My only wish for Persona 6 is that Yoshida be a party member.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I want the next Persona to be in the US just to see how they think high school is here, because playing these games I think high school in Japan is all about hooking up with women and eating tons of burgers that make you smarter and more charming somehow.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
P5 reminds me quite a bit of P2 when it comes to certain themes and ideas, and kind of goes further with the mass hysteria/hegemony than P4 attempted. The game set up between Igor and Yaldaboeth is really similar to the Philemon/Nyarlathotep conflict. There's also an interesting political undertone about how authoritarian fascism can arrive through democratic means.

In terms of real-world connection:
I have to admit that P5's December is really relatable considering the US elections last year. Even when the crimes are really apparent and outright confessed, the public being completely apathetic to it or remaining entranced by a hollow cult of personality is a striking resemblance to how things are now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CaptainRat posted:

My only wish for Persona 6 is that Yoshida be a party member.

Sorry, he'll be too busy being Prime Minister of Japan.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Beat the game the other day and even though I probably hosed myself in the long run I was happy to be able to ignore the poo poo out of Mishima.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The Mishima link is great since you rank up no matter what so you can just always take the dialog choice to poo poo on him.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

slev posted:

The Mishima link is great since you rank up no matter what so you can just always take the dialog choice to poo poo on him.

Looks like I know what I'm doing in new game +

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

slev posted:

Gonna remember this for my 100 percent playthrough

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I want the next Persona to be in the US just to see how they think high school is here, because playing these games I think high school in Japan is all about hooking up with women and eating tons of burgers that make you smarter and more charming somehow.

It might be difficult since US high school life is not as nearly universal in structure and form as Japan's since our clubs, lifestyles, and educational policies vary wildly from district to district, let alone state or country.

As for a more worldly Persona, I think it'd be interesting if the characters lived their daily lives apart in different countries but perhaps interact and adventure in a shared liminal space, much like how many of us have friends and even relationships internationally. Maybe switch control between the protagonists and have them each specialize in a set of arcana like in P1/2 so they have their own localized s-links.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Neeksy posted:

Maybe switch control between the protagonists and have them each specialize in a set of arcana like in P1/2 so they have their own localized s-links.

This would create a problem of having either 3 different blank slate characters or else having a bunch of protagonists whose personalities have the risk of annoying the player or not connecting properly.

I don't think the series can or should ever leave Japan, to be honest. Persona games have always been pretty singularly about Japanese society as it exists contemporarily; while a lot of the themes have a universal appeal, much of what it condemns about society is specifically targeted at Japanese society. In general, all of the games have a tone condemnatory of the generally conformist nature of modern Japan, as well as its lack of value for nature or history. Persona 2 is particularly curious about how oppressive and stifling society is, with gossip being weaponized and ultimately used to end the loving planet. Persona 5 at least tips its hat to this as well, with your main character being crucified for about half the game by relentless, cruel gossip.

Eternal Punishment was the most interesting to me because it was a cast of adults dealing with the very adult situation that they are cogs in giant machines that have become corrupted without their knowing, and they can't seem to establish a place in this world either, with the next generation squeezing from one direction and the older generation squeezing from the other.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Moltrey posted:

watch it there

I want to apologize again on this page. I intended "mooks" and got it confused with another word that's never used.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 18, 2017

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This would create a problem of having either 3 different blank slate characters or else having a bunch of protagonists whose personalities have the risk of annoying the player or not connecting properly.

I don't think the series can or should ever leave Japan, to be honest. Persona games have always been pretty singularly about Japanese society as it exists contemporarily; while a lot of the themes have a universal appeal, much of what it condemns about society is specifically targeted at Japanese society. In general, all of the games have a tone condemnatory of the generally conformist nature of modern Japan, as well as its lack of value for nature or history. Persona 2 is particularly curious about how oppressive and stifling society is, with gossip being weaponized and ultimately used to end the loving planet. Persona 5 at least tips its hat to this as well, with your main character being crucified for about half the game by relentless, cruel gossip.

Eternal Punishment was the most interesting to me because it was a cast of adults dealing with the very adult situation that they are cogs in giant machines that have become corrupted without their knowing, and they can't seem to establish a place in this world either, with the next generation squeezing from one direction and the older generation squeezing from the other.

By and large I agree with your assessment. I still personally think P2 is still the best overall in terms of story, but P5 has been the best of the recent series in that regard.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This game is good

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Please_Leave

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
P2 might have a good story, but I wouldn't know because I found the PSP remake too dated/annoying to play. I'm sure people going back to P3 now would feel the same way though.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Squallege posted:

Looks like I know what I'm doing in new game +

It's what makes doing that rear end in a top hat's s-link bearable to me.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Gorp posted:

I want to apologize again on this page. I intended "mooks" and got it confused with another word that's never used.
It's all good, we knew what you meant

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

slev posted:

I like that the main storyline gives you a dialogue option months into the game when you're talking to him to be like "Phan-Site, what's that"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Poking around NG+, it's always interesting to see the early game scenes that suddenly make a lot more sense now that you've finished the game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Afternoon, thread. I hope I didn't miss any important discussion about LGBTQIA representation overnight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I caught up on the past few pages including the discussion about the teachers and the discussion about where the series should go, and it might be interesting to play a game where the main party are all high school teachers

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo Palace 7 makes me want to die. This game, and the series in general, has a serious problem with padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I want a persona game that turns into smt 1/3 of the way through. Like, it's kids having super natural adventures until something happens and the world is hosed. Let's see how your relationship with your grandma friend fares during the apocalypse.