Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hot Take: I don't mind the original slower version of the Enterprise theme.

It's like five hundredth on the list of bad things in Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The Bloop posted:

Hot Take: I don't mind the original slower version of the Enterprise theme.

I'll see that and raise you German Techno Faith of the Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74iAs6AqOhM

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
That chipmunks pitch shift. Holy smokes!

:discourse:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should have stuck with the Mirror Universe theme

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I always thought they should've gone all-out insane for the Mirror theme and done a gritty nü-metal cover of the song with altered lyrics.

We took the wrong road
Getting from here to there
We're in the wrong time
And my time just can't compare
And I will make your nightmares come alive
And I will touch T'pol
And they're not gonna slow me down no more,
No I'm not gonna change at all

'Cause I've got luuuust...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

And I will touch T'pol

:laffo:

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

If they really thought it was something that could stand on its own it would be on real tv, right after Survivor. They can't place it right into syndication like they did with TNG and DS9 since no on wants it anymore after VOY and ENT pushed away all the non-trekkers.

To be honest, DS9 also pushed away the non-trekkers. It was a great series, but never really broke out into mainstream appeal. It's been close to a quarter century since anyone made any Star Trek that got significant appeal beyond the core sci-fi audience. JJ Trek came close I guess, but is not the cultural phenomenon they hoped it would be.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you say. Star Trek has often (always?) been treated with a level of disdain, even when it was profitable. The almost complete lack of acknowledgement of the 50th anniversary last year is just one example among many.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sir Lemming posted:

We took the wrong road
Getting from here to there
We're in the wrong time
And my time just can't compare
And I will make your nightmares come alive
And I will touch T'pol
And they're not gonna slow me down no more,
No I'm not gonna change at all

'Cause I've got luuuust...

Delightful

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Ok, we'll split it. You get Bezos for Trek, but I already claimed Elon Musk for a B5 remaster.

I'm holding out for a Musk-produced anthology series where each season is a different Culture novel.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The song they used as the credits theme was originally developed to be the Enterprise opening theme, and it's fine. No need to go crazy on a re-release or anything, just sub in that music for the opening. Boom. Problem solved.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They didn't give very much time between when this was announced and scheduled to air. Wasn't it announced last spring?

Fuller began developing it in the fall of 2015.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DentArthurDent posted:

Otherwise, I agree with everything you say. Star Trek has often (always?) been treated with a level of disdain, even when it was profitable. The almost complete lack of acknowledgement of the 50th anniversary last year is just one example among many.

It's very strange to compare that with how, say, the profile Doctor Who enjoys in Britain.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

The song they used as the credits theme was originally developed to be the Enterprise opening theme, and it's fine. No need to go crazy on a re-release or anything, just sub in that music for the opening. Boom. Problem solved.

Problem doesn't really exist. I am 100% not cool enough to work at the record store, but there's nothing wrong with Faith of the Heart, and the opening visuals are great and great with it. All Trek openings are great unless they speed them up and especially if they add bongos.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I think the opening credits are fine with Faith of the Heart and would have worked fine if the show stuck to the "The Right Stuff" vibe they seemed to be going for at first. The problem is the show's tone changed drastically several times over, contrasting with the sentimental theme with increasing hilarity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Trek is weird without an instrumental theme. The problem with a pop song is that generally those don't age well, and that's certainly the case with Faith of the Heart (which was cheesy as hell to begin with).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It would've worked if they really fully committed to doing a different type of show. But it pretty quickly became TNG Lite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trek is weird without an instrumental theme. The problem with a pop song is that generally those don't age well, and that's certainly the case with Faith of the Heart (which was cheesy as hell to begin with).

Originally written by Diane Warren and recorded by adult contemporary era Rod Stewart for the Patch Adams soundtrack.

Seems like a perfect fit for a sci-fi TV show.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

vermin posted:

I'll see that and raise you German Techno Faith of the Heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74iAs6AqOhM

Bosh bosh bosh. I still like the 'don't stop me now' version Dans did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Honestly, I've always liked the Enterprise intro -- there's something about it that speaks to me about just how much crazy poo poo we can do if we put our minds to it. We landed people on the moon in the dark ages of computers, for heaven's sake. We may not have flying cars yet but we've touched the sky and then some.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Just started Orange is the New Black and Kate Mulgrew is really good and my favorite inmate.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

vermin posted:

Just started Orange is the New Black and Kate Mulgrew is really good and my favorite inmate.

She is very good throughout the show, yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Honestly, I've always liked the Enterprise intro -- there's something about it that speaks to me about just how much crazy poo poo we can do if we put our minds to it. We landed people on the moon in the dark ages of computers, for heaven's sake. We may not have flying cars yet but we've touched the sky and then some.
The intro is fine, I just wish it had better music to go with it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Timby posted:

The intro isn't a problem at all, it's just the theme song. Conceptually the whole thing is really good and exactly what the intro should have been for a show like Enterprise.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I seem to have lost one of my most treasured GIFs: Sisko yelling at Kira to shut off Eddington's hologram in For The Uniform. Does anyone here happen to have it?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

The show will end up being produced by the Axanar guys.

Just think, as of right now, this moment, Axanar has more minutes of successfully produced tv than Discovery...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

DentArthurDent posted:

To be honest, DS9 also pushed away the non-trekkers. It was a great series, but never really broke out into mainstream appeal.

It had higher ratings than every Trek series besides TNG (which was a legit cultural phenomenon), and at one point surpassed Baywatch as the most popular first-run syndicated series in the world. But okay...

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Q_res posted:

It had higher ratings than every Trek series besides TNG (which was a legit cultural phenomenon), and at one point surpassed Baywatch as the most popular first-run syndicated series in the world. But okay...

Seriously a show pulling DS9 numbers these days would be the number 1 show on TV.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

CBS should just buy out the Star Trek Continues guys because 1) it's the best fan production 2) it's actually pretty good and 3) it would piss off the Axanar rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I know a dude who's first dance at his wedding was to Faith of the Heart.

His wife only found out it was from Trek (yes they danced to that version) when I mocked the song on Facebook and he defended it. He unfriended me over that post and they recently divorced and in my mind, it's because of the origin of that song.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

8one6 posted:

CBS should just buy out the Star Trek Continues guys because 1) it's the best fan production 2) it's actually pretty good and 3) it would piss off the Axanar rear end in a top hat.

I know it's unlikely but part of me hopes that Discovery keeps getting pushed back because they've realized that it's possible to produce a decent Star Trek style show with basically zero dollars and even with all their money and industry talent they're coming up loving short

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

vermin posted:

Even better, imagine her playing Janeway like she does Red.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Timby posted:

Agree. It just feels like an intro for a different series. And it also kind of loses me after we see the First Contact stock footage, because that's the last point where space travel seemed like any sort of pioneering effort. After that, we're just warping around and it's like we've done it all. Kind of a reminder that space exploration in Enterprise is exactly as easy as it is in TOS and TNG, and suddenly we don't feel like pioneers anymore, because the struggle to reach the stars is over.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rhyno posted:

I know a dude who's first dance at his wedding was to Faith of the Heart.

His wife only found out it was from Trek (yes they danced to that version) when I mocked the song on Facebook and he defended it. He unfriended me over that post and they recently divorced and in my mind, it's because of the origin of that song.

Why would you mock another man for his wedding choices? Is your life so devoid of happiness you have to take it from others?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If he liked Trek enough to put it in his wedding and his wife didn't know because she's never seen it even though it's that important to him, well, that was a pretty bad omen to start with.

Edit: not responding to the post above, that's a totally separate issue

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

Q_res posted:

Not disputing that, but the whole TV market has changed radically since then. There are many, many shows from the 90s whose ratings that would be considered fantastic today, but back then would have been considered bad, even due for cancellation.

My only point was that DS9 never had the same kind of broad and lasting cultural appeal that TNG has (not to mention TOS). Certainly not as many people know who Captain Sisko and Odo are (compared to Captain Picard and Data). When TNG ended it immediately went to the big screen. When DS9 ended there was not even a whisper of a feature movie. The show was popular among fans (rightly so) and, if the ratings were that high, must have been drawing in at least some casual viewers. But DS9 absolutely did not have the same broad cultural impact of previous Treks.

DentArthurDent fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 19, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How was Voyager for ratings compared with DS9?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Wheat Loaf posted:

How was Voyager for ratings compared with DS9?

Consistently lower.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I love DS9 but you'd have to be delusional to think it has anywhere near the popularity of TOS or TNG.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Consistently lower.

To be fair, this was partially due to DS9 being syndicated and Voyager anchoring UPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, this was partially due to DS9 being syndicated and Voyager anchoring UPN.

Eh, partially, but look at Voyager's debut. It was clearly capable of reaching the same depth of market that DS9 was seeing.