Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Neeksy posted:

Being bossed around by a cat is the most realistic aspect of the game, clearly.

Also man, I thought I was on track to complete the compendium, but forgot that some of the fusions require really specific personae, even though they're not advanced fusions. Also one of the treasure demons didn't show up even though I actively sought them out each dungeon. There was a weird level-jump in the treasure demons for some reason.

Looks like I'll have to figure out how to get the Hope Diamond and Alice in New Game+

Uh.

Seriously?

Is this your first SMT, because Alice is the special fusion.

Seems kind of bizarre to have that one be the one you miss.

It's Nebiros + Belial

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Supremezero posted:

Uh.

Seriously?

Is this your first SMT, because Alice is the special fusion.

It's Nebiros + Belial

I forgot to do it, since I was just trying to methodically do them as I saw the gaps in the compendium, but Alice and some of the others don't show up as blanks and thus escaped my fine-toothed comb.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Only being able to do 1 Electric Chair fusion per day is really loving annoying. I'm not going to have time to make all the ultimate weapons before the game ends and it's seriously making me think of restarting :saddowns:

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
There's only one ultimate weapon really worth making and it is Makoto's broken rear end gun

Also Alice owns, especially if you fuse her with spell master and lifeaid/victory cry. I'm 100% sure that the reason why pretty much every shadow in the last dungeon has some form of resistance to curse is because of Alice.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baby Babbeh posted:

They changed Legion's name and I don't like it.

I have a weird soft spot for Legion because I got one with Growth 3 in a SMT game and it carried me for much longer than its intended usable life. And it's sort of cute in a weird way -- big ol' angry ball.

Choronzon and Legion are two different Persona, both are in

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I was upset that they didn't include Hitokotonushi, I love his design.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

DoubleCakes posted:

Overall, this is a definitive gaming moment for me and I'll be obsessed with P5 for time to come

I wish I liked the ending so the obsession wasn't tearing me apart.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kurtofan posted:

Choronzon and Legion are two different Persona, both are in

Me, every time I see Sentata (?) And Cu Chailain

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think you're thinking of Tam Lin. Setanta is the boy with all the layers and scarf with a spear. Tam Lin and Cu Chulainn are palette swaps for some reason

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It's also that Setanta and Cu Chulain are literally the same person in mythology.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Gorp posted:

6, Maybe Persona 5 is an art game and I'm too stupid to get it, but I have no idea what Yaldabaoth is arguing. Typically the clash between hero and villain is representative of a clashing of ideologies or values. The thesis of the villian and created antithesis of the protagonists do the Hegelian Dialectic and we end up with new wisdom. I have no idea what Yaldabaoths thesis is, even assuming that he is his own entity now completely separate from public opinion.

He seems to be arguing that "Might makes right and I'm a God" behind a thin veil of justice or helping people, and I just don't get what the conflict against him signifies. Up until this point of the game the notion was along the lines of "Don't treat people like objects or they'll get pissed off and rebel against you, eventually ending you", but Yaldabaoth IS the people. Everything about this guy is inherently paradoxical; he shoots you full of lust and then judges you for being lustful. If he really is just an example of the penultimate stupid authority figure than I don't know what to say. Making something completely unreasonable and unjustifiable isn't a great thing to do for a final boss.

I'm going insane over here. Someone send help.
yaldabaoth represents japanese social norms where people are expected to be small cogs in a large machine and 'the nail that sticks out gets hammered down.' he is a god that keeps people confined within their standard social roles. the protagonists shoot him with a bullet made of the seven deadly sins, representing that things that society views as 'wrong' are actually critical parts of the human experience.

i hope this helps

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh duh right, killing Culann's guard dog and all that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite part of the background blurbs you can get on persona's stats screens is that a lot of them don't even mention if the character is fictional or not. like zorro's.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

What's better: Samsara or Hama Boost Mahamaon?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

What's better: Samsara or Hama Boost Mahamaon?

... why not Hama Boost Samsara?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Supremezero posted:

... why not Hama Boost Samsara?

I dunno how to get Hama Boost onto a Daisoujou. Do any Personas yield a Hama Boost card?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I dunno how to get Hama Boost onto a Daisoujou. Do any Personas yield a Hama Boost card?

Savescum until you can Gallows it into a Daisoujou? :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Can't you just merge Daisoujou with your Hama Boost persona? Or is Samsara one of the unique no-inherit skills?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Holy poo poo 50 hours in I am still failing multiple negotiations in a row because the dialogue options make no sense to me, I read that chart about personalities but that doesn't really help with all these weird options

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Endorph posted:

my favorite part of the background blurbs you can get on persona's stats screens is that a lot of them don't even mention if the character is fictional or not. like zorro's.

Uhhhh all the party Personas are fictional people except for Captain Kidd I'm pretty sure so the game doesn't feel like it has to spell it out.
Arsene Lupin is a fictional gentleman thief.
Zorro is a fictional outlaw.
Captain Kidd is an actual person.
Carmen is a fictional gypsy.
Johanna is a popess of dubious historicity.
Necronomicon is a fictional book, and also a UFO.
Milady is a fictional lady.
Robin Hood is a fictional thief.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo 50 hours in I am still failing multiple negotiations in a row because the dialogue options make no sense to me, I read that chart about personalities but that doesn't really help with all these weird options

do the sun and tower confidants asap

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Can't you just merge Daisoujou with your Hama Boost persona? Or is Samsara one of the unique no-inherit skills?

Samsara has been Daisoujou's unique signature skill for the entire series, so I just assumed you can't fuse it onto anything better. If you actually can then :eyepop:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Samsara has been Daisoujou's unique signature skill for the entire series, so I just assumed you can't fuse it onto anything better. If you actually can then :eyepop:

You could in Persona 3 pretty sure. Dunno if I ever tried in 4, and I definitely didn't try in this one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lets hang out posted:

do the sun and tower confidants asap

I have Sun maxed. The "Lend me your power" option has not procced at all in this Palace, and I don't know if it's because these are higher level or unfamiliar personae

Edit: Oh, right, it's actually "Join my cause" and it will work on new and higher-level personae, so I guess that clears things up. Welcome aboard, Ganesha

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 19, 2017

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

Endorph posted:

i hope this helps

It would solve everything if he wasn't in and of himself representative of the sins. You shoot the being of sin with the sins after conquering the sins individually within humanity. If he was a good god and the bottom floor was representative of heaven, where people follow order and live in peace, then sure. I don't feel like I'm rebelling against anything in particular,, he's not even the public will at this point.

He half represents a bunch of things, none of which play nice together. He's a god of control and chaos, who fulfills and ignores the public will. I feel like he's just a big boogieman that you blow up because he fuses Momentos with realty. He really has no reason to exist outside of a post-pride confrontation with a superboss ala Persona tradition.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I don't recall Samsara or Die For Me! being transferrable in 4.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Fuse a Horus and level it to 54, then fuse that with Take-Minakata.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
in the end, the Rescue Kuks saved the day

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
I am just about to go into the last dungeon. This game has been a wild ride. I have managed to get all my stats done and many of the social links. I dated my teacher. I made it a point to collect all the cute crane game toys. I survived eating tons of burgers.

This game is magical.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

twistedbutterfly posted:

I made it a point to collect all the cute crane game toys.

what do you mean all of them. there's more than just Jack Frost?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Robin Hood is a fictional thief.
i mean one of the theories is that 'robin hood' was a stock alias used by thieves and that's where the legends came from, so

The Gorp posted:

he's not even the public will at this point.
the fact that he exists and has power despite not being the public will, is the point of the metaphor.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
really wanna explore this dungeon

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Curse my illiteracy and contempt towards spellchecking.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Why is it that sometimes when you summon personae they become registerable, shouldn't the entries be the same?

Also when you register a persona you should be able to summon it at the level it was registered, right? I hosed up one of the Strength fusions because I forgot to put the skill they asked for on it and when I went to summon the old personae the skill I needed (which required a level up) wasn't on it anymore

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is it that sometimes when you summon personae they become registerable, shouldn't the entries be the same?

Also when you register a persona you should be able to summon it at the level it was registered, right? I hosed up one of the Strength fusions because I forgot to put the skill they asked for on it and when I went to summon the old personae the skill I needed (which required a level up) wasn't on it anymore

If a Persona changes in any way at all, including gaining exp, it becomes reregisterable. This overwrites the previous state.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I always get anxiety about what Personas I've registered and if I gently caress it up, so I always register everything and hope for the best

The Gorp posted:

Curse my illiteracy and contempt towards spellchecking.
sorry I'm not trying to razz you, I just wanna explore a Mom Dungeon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moltrey posted:

sorry I'm not trying to razz you, I just wanna explore a Mom Dungeon
palace 4

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Gorp posted:

It would solve everything if he wasn't in and of himself representative of the sins. You shoot the being of sin with the sins after conquering the sins individually within humanity. If he was a good god and the bottom floor was representative of heaven, where people follow order and live in peace, then sure. I don't feel like I'm rebelling against anything in particular,, he's not even the public will at this point.

He half represents a bunch of things, none of which play nice together. He's a god of control and chaos, who fulfills and ignores the public will. I feel like he's just a big boogieman that you blow up because he fuses Momentos with realty. He really has no reason to exist outside of a post-pride confrontation with a superboss ala Persona tradition.

Yaldabaoth is a necessary antagonist because a story about the reformation of society cannot be complete without confronting the complicity of the masses. You cannot have a Kamoshida without dozens of people turning a blind eye, dozens of people deciding it's someone else's problem, dozens of people affirming the social order at the expense of human lives and dignity. You cannot have a Sae without a justice system obsessed with the appearance of flawless justice over actually carrying it out.

Simply knocking down a couple powerful assholes isn't enough. Society itself must be called to task, and called to action. That is what Yaldabaoth is about. Attacking the idea that you can simply kick the can down the road to the "system", keep your head down, and everything will work out okay. gently caress no it won't. No meaningful social change has ever happened automatically or without blood sweat and tears by average rear end people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

palace 4
okay, a dungeon about Good Moms, not spooky fake images of Moms. The Mom Sphinx is good tho

Perhaps a Mom theme, or a Mom boss, a Mom enemy or two in there.

like imagine Persona 4, but it's the Momnight Channel

Persona 2, but Moms are becoming real