Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

IDK man, he is letting Are Nando do other stuff to keep him entertained. I'm a bit torn here.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

IDK man, he is letting Are Nando do other stuff to keep him entertained. I'm a bit torn here.

He wouldn't have to if he magically fixed all of McLaren's problems already. Jfc.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Indy thing is cool but it's a bandaid for an infected open stab wound, it does nothing remotely close to fixing the real issues.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What is he supposed to be doing??????

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

He wouldn't have to if he magically fixed all of McLaren's problems already. Jfc.

I should have higher standards, you're right.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Hiring Illien. Like two weeks ago.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Kissing asses and contracting sponsors, no?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

How can anyone possibly suggest that Zak Brown is at fault for a Honda situation he inherited and is completely powerless to fix? Especially if you believe resorting to a customer engine deal is out of the question, which is agree with, what possible short term steps can he take?

E: You're all aware that Zak Brown doesn't run or control Honda, right?

wicka fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 19, 2017

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

How can anyone possibly suggest that Zak Brown is at fault for a Honda situation he inherited and is completely powerless to fix?

He's not though (at fault). As you note, he literally inherited the situation and, I'm assuming, each day that passes he learns how much of a poo poo show it *actually* is. To 1500quid's point, they really need to stop being stubborn cunts and just hire a 3rd party to solve the issues...but then again, that's Honda probably being retarded and vetoing it because of their stubborn Japanese mindset when it comes to business.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He has the ability to put pressure on them. Alonso is the only one doing that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

He's not though (at fault). As you note, he literally inherited the situation and, I'm assuming, each day that passes he learns how much of a poo poo show it *actually* is. To 1500quid's point, they really need to stop being stubborn cunts and just hire a 3rd party to solve the issues...but then again, that's Honda probably being retarded and vetoing it because of their stubborn Japanese mindset when it comes to business.

But that's exactly my point - this isn't Zak Brown's issue to solve! He can suggest that they seek outside influence, and almost certainly has, but he has no ability to actually force them to do anything. He has no power here because A. he doesn't loving run Honda B. he can't turn down their money.

Human Grand Prix posted:

He has the ability to put pressure on them. Alonso is the only one doing that.

So you know this for a fact? That Zak Brown has no private interactions with Honda and that everything he says to them is in interviews and over team radio?

This is ridiculous and childish and I have no idea where it's coming from.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

But that's exactly my point - this isn't Zak Brown's issue to solve! He can suggest that they seek outside influence, and almost certainly has, but he has no ability to actually force them to do anything. He has no power here because A. he doesn't loving run Honda B. he can't turn down their money.

So you know this for a fact? That Zak Brown has no private interactions with Honda and that everything he says to them is in interviews and over team radio?

This is ridiculous and childish and I have no idea where it's coming from.

I'm with you dude, I'm not disagreeing that it's technically not his issue to solve. He's probably leveraging his status within McLaren to do his best to remedy the situation but, because he isn't Ron or doesn't have the true personal connections with Honda, poo poo-all is getting done.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

They're gonna hire back Ron and have him sort it out.

McLaren-Toyota incoming.

This would be totally :krad:

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

To be fair, Ron is the reason why McLaren are so poo poo right now. He took a gamble with Honda and it didnt pay off.

Time to double down on Toyota for the big payout. :woop:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I'm with you dude, I'm not disagreeing that it's technically not his issue to solve. He's probably leveraging his status within McLaren to do his best to remedy the situation but, because he isn't Ron or doesn't have the true personal connections with Honda, poo poo-all is getting done.

Oh I know, sorry if that seemed like I was arguing with you.

E: Stoffel did 50 laps today without an engine failure!

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 19, 2017

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Oh I know, sorry if that seemed like I was arguing with you.

It's all good, I know you're not. Some real discussion is enjoyable ITT every now and then, as fun as it is to ride the retarded memes in here most of the time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nice meltdowns

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

iospace posted:

Nice meltdowns

You're welcome, just trying to do my public service for the thread.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Zak Brown is good cuz Nando is in the indy 500 you dummies

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Zak Brown is good cuz Nando is in the indy 500 you dummies

I give Alonso most of the credit for realizing they can't really tell him no.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

wicka posted:

I give Alonso most of the credit for realizing they can't really tell him no.

Ron would have.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I suspect Zak Brown had little to do with it since a no just means Alonso leaves and does it anyways. Good on him for getting him to do it in a McLaren livery I guess

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Just zero chance of this happening in a Ron run McLaren team I'd think.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

CratSock posted:

Ron would have.

Bring Back Big Ron

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Big Ron, Bulldog Boullier, and Wiz Kid Illien working flat out to give McLaren Honda its first win with Nando in Monaco. If only ...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Someone do one of those Ronposts as if he's denying Alonso's request to drive in the 500. I'm not good at it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Big Ron, Bulldog Boullier, and Wiz Kid Illien working flat out to give McLaren Honda its first win with Nando in Monaco. If only ...

They will have two DNFs

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

They will have two DNFs

Thanks Hack Clown.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Also his name would certainly be Super Mario Illien.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Someone do one of those Ronposts as if he's denying Alonso's request to drive in the 500. I'm not good at it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Think I'm going to buy Indy 500 tickets today.

I can't imagin being more excited for another one like this.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Norns posted:

Think I'm going to buy Indy 500 tickets today.

I can't imagin being more excited for another one like this.

I've been debating getting general admission tickets or paying more for an actual seat in the stands somewhere.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Well, look at that! McLaren held together for second day of testing!

Things are going to start coming together now with Zak in charge. He's highly respected within and outside of F1, lots of sponsorship connections and very well spoken. He seems genuinely interested in turning the team around and understands that anything right now would be better than that god awful Honda--- including bolting in a customer engine for the next season or two in order to properly flesh out a works deal for a competitive engine. Even if that means going back to Honda down the road but only with proven performance perhaps demonstrated via another team.

If you guys didn't know this I ask you to go cvheck out the man's wikipedia page. He's been legit racing in FIA categories since like 1991. He has a racer's instinct and a businessman's acumen. I think McLaren is in very good hands and unlike Williams with Adam Parr (who had no racing experience at all and was literally just 100% wall street gargle my balls), Zak understands what it means to strive to win instead of just making the shareholder's happy which is all Parr was good for. Snake.

Also, Motorsport.com owes a great deal to Zak as well when they appointed him to a non-executive position which saw them buy oiut and consolidate a bunch of non-English F1 sites under the Motorsport.com umbrella. This will only serve to strengthen F1's penetration into the zeitgeist of these other nations burgeoning the demand and consumption of Formula 1 and other motorsport categories.

He is a treasure and McLaren will strive but for now they must bear the cross of Honda engines. My only sadness is harvested knowing Alonso will not be around to reap the benefits of this relationship and I believe he had an epiphany of such in, no doubt, one of his many sweaty hard-to-sleep nights hence a suicide attempt at the Indy 500 and if he lives through that we'll be seeing him win the 24 hours of Le Mans next year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Big Ron posted:

After due consideration into the effort to streamline efficiencies between the McLaren organization and Honda to strengthen the unification of our two companies, and deliver uncompromised success to the McLaren-Honda brand, we will need to subsequently deny Fernando's intrigue to partake in the Indianapolis 500. Our synergistic resources are most effectively leveraged when focused on the primary task at hand, delivering a Grand Prix winning McLaren-Honda package, and simply put, having our preeminent driver participating in an event that does not further the development of said package must be denied at this point in time. Fernando must remain unflinchingly committed to this task and remain passionately engaged in leading the McLaren-Honda partnership to unprecedented returns on investment.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only 68 laps?

Ferrari fraud status confirmed.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Holy poo poo. Remember that F4 crash over the weekend? The kid lost both of his legs.

https://twitter.com/JHRdevelopments/status/854724495218814976
https://twitter.com/JHRdevelopments/status/854725649633816577

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Oh man that's terrible. :smith:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

When you see his knee come past the wheel in the cockpit...you know it's not going to be good.

loving horrible =/

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah that just sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For fucks sake

• Locked thread