Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

enigmahfc posted:

I have a friend who like to Advance Sensor into Rage into a green into Inspiring Recruit with Kyle K., so 3 focuses and rerolls on 3 dice when attacking.

No barrel roll makes this the inferior option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

No barrel roll makes this the inferior option.

I am the inferior friend.
I do like the barrell roll option though.

What do you fly with your Cassian? Trying to find some wingmen to fly.

Edit:
Taking your barrel rolling Casian with this list:

Cassian Andor (39)
-Experimental Interface
-Pivot Wing Title
-Expert Handling
-Advanced Sensors
-Inspiring Recruit
-Kyle Katarn

Lothal Rebel (43)
-Title
-Twin Laser Turret
-Hera
-Inspiring Recruit

Zeb Orrelios (18)
-Title
-Chopper

lazerus06 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 17, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

I am the inferior friend.
I do like the barrell roll option though.

What do you fly with your Cassian? Trying to find some wingmen to fly.

Edit:
Taking your barrel rolling Casian with this list:

Cassian Andor (39)
-Experimental Interface
-Pivot Wing Title
-Expert Handling
-Advanced Sensors
-Inspiring Recruit
-Kyle Katarn

Lothal Rebel (43)
-Title
-Twin Laser Turret
-Hera
-Inspiring Recruit

Zeb Orrelios (18)
-Title
-Chopper

I haven't flown it yet, but I'd be really tempted to do Miranda and Captain Rex.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ConfusedUs posted:

Have you run them through the beginner/learn to play games with one x-wing and 2 TIEs yet? That really is the best way to learn.

After you do that, maybe double it to 2 X-Wings and 4 TIEs.

After that, everyone pick a new ship to learn each game?

yeah, maybe I really do need to just go back to complete basics, just hard to do when I have all of these awesome ships to choose from...

List so far is:
2x Core Sets (one of each)
Millenium Falcon
Slave 1
Rebel Aces
Imperial Aces
E-Wing
Tie Phantom
Tie Punisher
Lambda Shuttle
Tantive IV
Imperial Raider

My 3rd game was an epic match after my friend brought me the Tantive & Raider... I was basically just like wtf the whole time.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There are three basic flight styles in X-Wing:

Jousters: Fly straight at the enemy, overwhelm them with superior firepower.
Turrets: Circle around or run away, and get shots no matter which way you're pointing.
Arc Dodgers: Be fast, nimble, and avoid incoming fire at all costs. Shoot when safe.

The general rule of thumb is that Arc Dodgers beat Jousters which beat Turrets which beat Arc Dodgers.

This isn't always true--and there are ships that fit more than one of those roles--but it gives you a good guideline on how to learn the game.

The X-Wing vs TIE starter list is two sets of jousters.

To learn turrets, fly your Falcon a bit. (C-3PO from the Tantive is arguably the best upgrade for the falcon, just FYI)

To learn arc dodgers, fly your Phantom or Interceptors. Try to get shots without getting shot back. High pilot skill is almost a must for this play style.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When it comes to arc dodgers, if you have a choice to not get shot, or get shot AND get your own shot, just go for the dodge. Most arc dodgers are very fragile and one unlucky roll can kill you outright. Jousters will almost always want the shot because they will bring the pain, as long as it isn't multiple shots on them.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Rules Q: Say omega leader (ps8) and howlrunner (ps8) are facing up against Quickdraw (ps9). Imagine omega leader shoots before Howl, triggers Quickdraws attack, and Quickdraw kills howlrunner. Does simultaneous fire occur or is Howl PS killed? This hinges on "active ship". Is omega leader still the active ship while Quickdraws ability resolves? I imagine yes, but what does the thread think?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Simultaneous Fire will occur. You're already past PS9 and onto 8, someone shooting out of order due to a special ability won't change that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I think I found a new av if someone could edit this to have Poe.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Maybe now that the Raider is the "hero" ship in the hot new AAA Star War videogame, they will release a fix for epic gameplay. :)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Maybe now that the Raider is the "hero" ship in the hot new AAA Star War videogame, they will release a fix for epic gameplay. :)

What was broken about it to begin with? Other than how nobody plays it that often.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think the biggest issue with Epic is that the Epic ships are rarely worth their points. It's nearly always better mechanically to take their points in regular ships.

A 100-point TIE swarm will last longer and do more damage than a 100-point Raider.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
What do you suggest can be done to fix it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

No clue. I don't play enough epic.

The above issue filters down not just to Epic ships. There is the potential for there to be so many ships on the board that anything expensive can die on the first round of firing. The people I've talked to who are serious about Epic tend to go with one or two aces, held back for late game cleanup, and then the rest is simply masses of low/mid PS generics to thin the herd.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

IronSaber posted:

Play Armada.

Seriously, if you want to use the giant ships, just play Armada.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

enigmahfc posted:

Play Armada.

But the Raider is so tiny in Armada and you gotta actually plan ahead!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

Play Armada.

Armada goes too slowly for my tastes. I prefer the 2-3 hour X-wing games to the 7-8 hour Armada games. :shrug:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

Play Armada.

They're not even that giant, comparatively.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

IronSaber posted:

Armada goes too slowly for my tastes. I prefer the 2-3 hour X-wing games to the 7-8 hour Armada games. :shrug:

What the heck are you doing to Armada to have it take 7-8 hours?? I've never had an Armada game last longer than 2 hours, even when learning.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think armada tourney rules are somewhere between 2 and 3 hours. So yeah I could always play by those rules.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

What the heck are you doing to Armada to have it take 7-8 hours?? I've never had an Armada game last longer than 2 hours, even when learning.

I may have been playing it wrong.

In any case, I like X-wing more, and that's that. If there's a way to make Epic ships more viable, I'd be all for it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Yeah, I also like X-wing more than Armada. Armada has more depth to its mechanics, but loses some of the tactical depth, as a result, imo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What else do you want an epic ship to do? They already have reinforce, recover, shoot at range 5, shoot 4 times a round (at ps 12 if youre rebels), destroy whatever you ram into, ect.

Yeah they die to focus fire but what doesnt? Ive destroyed 100points of defenders in 1 round too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, I also like X-wing more than Armada. Armada has more depth to its mechanics, but loses some of the tactical depth, as a result, imo.

I'd play armada if I could fit a fleet in the size of a lunchbox. That seems to be my upper limit for non-boardgame tabletop games nowadays. Easy to take on the metro.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You can't fit an Armada fleet in a lunchbox? My impression of the minis were that they were actually pretty compact.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

IronSaber posted:

I don;t even like Armada that much (or sort of at all, really), but if I care about the Capitol ships duking it out, I'd play that. I like the dog-fighting and faster paced aspects of X-Wing, and I feel the Epic ships are really poorly suited for that. They are just in the game to have some awesome looking models and to make players pay a lot for a few cards to make some smaller ships fun to play.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The way to make EPic ships viable is to either make every player take one or to play missions

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've played two epic games, and both times I had one goal: to run over as many enemies as possible.

With that in mind I took every upgrade that increased speed, like the Rear Admiral Chiraneau crew.

Then I threw a bunch of ion torps on my dudes. Ionized as many enemies as possible, then ran them over.

Was good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Goddammit two loving ragequits on Vassal in two games.

First one was running Moralo 88 and rage quit when he spent a focus token on defence then proceeded to roll eye eye eye hit, reroll the hit looking for a miss, get a hit, and I blanked out on defence. I'd only made one attack at that point because I muffed my opening a bit getting through the rocks.

Second one was running RAC with Kylo and Whisper, and rage quit when I Conner netted Whisper. He had the decency to call my list autoplay despite not having Kyloed anyone in the first round, so he could potentially have skipped one of my shots via Blind. If he'd chosen Backdraft my whole alpha would have been buggered, I was really worried.

I was running this:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...BD%20Tomax%20DF

It should be a lot of fun, but thus far I've not gone more than one round of fighting without my opponent rage quitting, and that's just in two games.

I've been hunting for lists that use Targetting Sync as it was intended, and this seems the best of them so far.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 18, 2017

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Improbable Lobster posted:

to play missions

That's actually a thing I regret a lot. I mean, with how many ships for each faction, is it that hard to come up with some kind of PP's Steamroller ruleset? It's freaking Star Wars, it's made for fun scenarii, not juste deathmatches.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Goddammit two loving ragequits on Vassal in two games.

First one was running Moralo 88 and rage quit when he spent a focus token on defence then proceeded to roll eye eye eye hit, reroll the hit looking for a miss, get a hit, and I blanked out on defence. I'd only made one attack at that point because I muffed my opening a bit getting through the rocks.

Second one was running RAC with Kylo and Whisper, and rage quit when I Conner netted Whisper. He had the decency to call my list autoplay despite not having Kyloed anyone in the first round, so he could potentially have skipped one of my shots via Blind. If he'd chosen Backdraft my whole alpha would have been buggered, I was really worried.

I was running this:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...BD%20Tomax%20DF

It should be a lot of fun, but thus far I've not gone more than one round of fighting without my opponent rage quitting, and that's just in two games.

I've been hunting for lists that use Targetting Sync as it was intended, and this seems the best of them so far.

That looks fun.

I'm not a big fan of Vassal, but if you want to hop on TTS tonight, I promise I won't rage quit.

Just PM me here or post in the thread or something and I'll hop on Steam.

Edit: goes for anyone, btw, not just thespaceinvader

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The missions that come with the CR-90 are actually pretty fun and cool

I haven't tried out the Assault Carrier missions yet, but I'm cut that I can't stick 4x Alpha Sq. Interceptors in the default missions.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Iceclaw posted:

That's actually a thing I regret a lot. I mean, with how many ships for each faction, is it that hard to come up with some kind of PP's Steamroller ruleset? It's freaking Star Wars, it's made for fun scenarii, not juste deathmatches.

Steamroller stuff doesn't work in X-Wing, as it's based around area control whereas X-Wing is based on constant movement. If you want scenarios either play the for-fun ones that come in expansion packs, or start playing Armada.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I think the biggest issue with Epic is that the Epic ships are rarely worth their points. It's nearly always better mechanically to take their points in regular ships.

Simple house rules to make epic ships great again.

1. Reinforce action affords it's bonus to the whole ship. Also, rather than add an evade result, reinforce reduces damage from all sources by 1, but cannot cancel a crit. The intended effect is to make the epic ship immune to TLTs.

Because the new TIE fighter with turret slot will be stupidly strong in epic play, just slot Major Jonas in the middle of a swarm and enjoy rerolling two dice on every TLT attack.

2. Epic ships can only suffer critical damage from the following sources: epic ships, obstacles and torpedos.

Because the epic ship crit deck is mental and one swingy crit can just cripple a huge amount of points.

3. Haven't tested this but am trying to think it through and seems OK in theory: the winner of the epic match is whoever destroyed the most epic points, with crippled sections counting as 0.5 points. Unspent epic points count as destroyed for your opponent. If drawn on epic points, use squadron points as normal.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm looking for a good Rebel 'starter' list for teaching X-Wing after the basic 'x-wing v 2 ties, 2 x-wings v 4 ties' for Rebel, that can be built from the two core sets and the Falcon. 100 points, manageable for a newbie, but still 'realistic,' for lack of a better term.

I guess I'm also looking for suggestions for an Imperial version, but that's probably just going to be a bunch of ties with named pilots.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

I'm looking for a good Rebel 'starter' list for teaching X-Wing after the basic 'x-wing v 2 ties, 2 x-wings v 4 ties' for Rebel, that can be built from the two core sets and the Falcon. 100 points, manageable for a newbie, but still 'realistic,' for lack of a better term.

I guess I'm also looking for suggestions for an Imperial version, but that's probably just going to be a bunch of ties with named pilots.

Try Han + 2 xwings.

I don't recall the exact upgrades but you should be able to do something similar to

Han, Millenium Falcon Title, Luke Skywalker, Engine Upgrade
2x Rookie Pilots

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

Try Han + 2 xwings.

I don't recall the exact upgrades but you should be able to do something similar to

Han, Millenium Falcon Title, Luke Skywalker, Engine Upgrade
2x Rookie Pilots

This is what I could come up with for those guidelines:
Han Solo (46)
Luke Skywalker (7)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Rookie Pilot (21)

Blue Squadron Novice (24)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I could fit Engine Upgrade in if I had two T-65s, looks like, but not with a T-65 and T-70.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You're going to need some sort of imperial ace because the four ties in the starter sets can't really take down Han Solo unless he repeatedly runs in front of them and gets multiple salvoes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

You're going to need some sort of imperial ace because the four ties in the starter sets can't really take down Han Solo unless he repeatedly runs in front of them and gets multiple salvoes.

Which is fine for teaching purposes. "Look how much fun you're having with your Falcon swatting down TiEs left, right, and center! It's just like the movies!" Though I can throw in something from the tie/fo expansion, or some interceptors as needed.

Mainly I'm looking for rebel advice, as I never play rebel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hmmm...I just had terrible ideas. So, previous I mentioned a 2 on 2, 40 points per ship tournament.

Here's two ideas I had

Wedge Antilles (37)
X-Wing (29), R3 Astromech (2), Proton Torpedoes (4), Juke (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Obviously, if Wedge is only taking two shots a turn, he can lay the hurt with this, (Or I could go SOT and Targetting Astro to gently caress with arc dodgers)

Or, for more fun

Pilots
------

Tarn Mison (31)
X-Wing (23), R7 Astromech (2), Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6), Integrated Astromech (0)

He's only taking at worse two shots a turn, one of which he can gently caress with by using r7. And if he doesn't need to, he can use that target lock to launch the APTs. And if he is taking two shots a turn, my team mate will be taking 0.

• Locked thread