Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, that's true. What the hell does Frankie Muniz have to fall back on?

His... mediocre racing career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Frankie Muniz is on the fast track to an oscar, actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-7Z-Sx5X9Y

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

kiimo posted:

He did make a shitload of money.

What success do you have to reach to never work again? like regular on a show that reach syndication?

1 hit movie prob gets you 2 decent offers afterwards then you can just quit?

Femur fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 20, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean I don't know but I can tell you that people who do nothing all day go bonkers in this town you have to work.

Even if you're like Andrew McCarthy and start writing novels.

A decent house is going to be like 2 million so you should probably just bet on keeping it going as long as possible. If you're Frankie Muniz and you're worth 40 million bucks before you're 20 why not race cars around and occasionally appear as yourself in stuff?

Just don't go the Tom Sizemore route and put it all up your nose.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Femur posted:

What success do you have to reach to never work again? like regular on a show that reach syndication?

I was thinking about John Lithgow today, since he showed up on Harry Connick Jr. show, and that I haven't seen him for a while. Then I remembered that he was in Third Rock and that was a big hit in syndication and he's got more money than God right now so he's been doing theater and the occasional bit part every now and then.

Then there's Michael Dorn, TV's Worf, who collects fighter planes as a hobby. Syndication is the real path to a lifetime of money.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

I misread that as Beethoven's Treasure Trail :heysexy:

My favorite weird "so much better than this" FMV game casting is still John Goodman starring an FMV parody of Myst called...Pyst :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fekpJwwfYd8

poo poo and that was directed by Peter Bergman and featured voice work from the entire Firesign Theater. What the Hell happened there.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Young Freud posted:

I was thinking about John Lithgow today, since he showed up on Harry Connick Jr. show, and that I haven't seen him for a while. Then I remembered that he was in Third Rock and that was a big hit in syndication and he's got more money than God right now so he's been doing theater and the occasional bit part every now and then.

He was on Dexter and just finished up some season of some show on NBC so it's not like he isn't working

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Lithgow is also on some British Royalty TV show that my wife loves, playing Winston Churchill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rough Lobster posted:

Lithgow is also on some British Royalty TV show that my wife loves, playing Winston Churchill.

And now I have to watch Elizabeth.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rough Lobster posted:

Wait what the

what

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Amanda Bynes is currently a clothing designer, and voluntarily retired from acting because she wanted to address her mental health. A surprising amount of child actors end up just fine, but we always hear about the trainwrecks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

poo poo and that was directed by Peter Bergman and featured voice work from the entire Firesign Theater. What the Hell happened there.

It's very conceptually good at parodying Myst, but it does it like a theme-park ride instead of a game and its incredibly short. The writing is also all over the place and, I also can not believe I am writing this many words about the game Pyst, yet is somehow unfocused and was attempting to build an online tie-in community.

FELD1 posted:

Amanda Bynes is currently a clothing designer, and voluntarily retired from acting because she wanted to address her mental health. A surprising amount of child actors end up just fine, but we always hear about the trainwrecks.

I work with someone who was, as a child, a post-production stand-in for a child actor in a film. He squandered his earnings on something called "going to college"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 20, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FishBulb posted:

He was on Dexter and just finished up some season of some show on NBC so it's not like he isn't working

it's called Trial and Error and it's real funny.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

it's called Trial and Error and it's real funny.

Ah ha, I totally forgot about that had Lithgow as the lead. That's what I get when I don't watch TV.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Timby posted:

I imagine Neil Patrick Harris gets on his knees every day to thank God for Harold & Kumar and How I Met Your Mother reminding the world that he exists.

Hey, you got a problem with A Series of Unfortunate Events, buddy? :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

He's probably better known for the film that had 2 sequels and the network sitcom that lasted 9 years

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like Harold and Kumar boosted him up pretty well.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like Harold and Kumar boosted him up pretty well.

It was a great role and really boosted him from "yeah he's still alive I guess" to "haha that guy rules"

Also drat he looks old in MST3K vs. those beer commercials he's doing. Wonder if it's make-up or lack thereof.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

The show is called The Crown. It's pretty good although extremely slow moving.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBgG976EZQ

Is it basically this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Crown is the story of the British royals from the late 1940's-onwards. The show cost a shitzillion dollars per episode and looks like it. John Lithgow is Churchill, but looks and sounds nothing like Churchill.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Frankie Muniz does whatever it is that Frankie Muniz wants

Also:

quote:

In 2003, he was considered "one of Hollywood's most bankable teens."[2] In 2008, he put his acting career on hold to pursue an open wheel racing career.

But for some reason he keeps popping back up to take roles in godawful movies such as Sharknado 3 and Pizza Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMJ1cC2sgI

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was that one time he pointed a gun at his head during a fight with his girlfriend.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
He also played in a pretty bad rear end band called Kingsfoil for a while. A couple friends of mine toured with them and he was nice enough.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FELD1 posted:

I remember that being somewhat less than voluntary.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The one that always comes to mind there for me is Mayum Balik. She was just before all the super successful teen mogul Disney clones and then she came back and is probably richer than Nancy Cartwright now.

I actually just found out on rewatching it the other day that she's one of the hillbilly children in Pumpkinhead

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I remember that being somewhat less than voluntary.

There's even footage of her acting all kinds of messed up out in public:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guy Mann posted:

My favorite weird "so much better than this" FMV game casting is still John Goodman starring an FMV parody of Myst called...Pyst :effort:

Starring in FMV games wasn't really considered slumming it back at the time. It was new technology, interactive movies, wave of the future!

Femur posted:

Assuming they're not the kind of people that get a lot of money and proceed to deliver it straight up their nose, I would think most people could reasonably live out the rest of their lives without ever working again on a couple mil.
Isn't that the kind of money that regulars on popular sitcoms make per-episode these days?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

You mean the netflix show that he got a part on after riding a new wave of stardom from the two aforementioned parts?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Frankie Muniz does whatever it is that Frankie Muniz wants

This is pretty much the dictionary definition of "gently caress-you money" right here

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah at the time Hollywood was very interested in FMV games, and there's even a few "prestigious" Hollywood FMV game attempts like MODE or Nine. The super pretentious marketing about Interactive Real Time Cinematic Experiences you'd see on 3DO and PC game boxes and stuff, that was all Hollywood marketing.

More impressive is that there actually are some FMV games that are very very good. But most impressive is definitely Christopher Walken's performance in Ripper. Like I wish they just made a movie of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKlBq-MDq-0

Unlike most mainstream video games at the time, profanity and nudity weren't too uncommon for FMV games since they were all sold on this prestige of being ***REAL LIFE*** grown up entertainment.

Christopher National Treasure Walken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dxdf4QnvCw

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 20, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Femur posted:

Ah yes the Rick Molanis maneuver

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rick Moranis starred in quite a few big films throughout the 80s and early 90s. He only stopped working once his wife died of breast cancer, so he could take care of his children.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shageletic posted:

Ah yes the Rick Molanis maneuver

Do you mean Lick Molanis, comedy relief neighbor in Breakfast at Tiffany's?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People not knowing what The Crown is I find to be completely inexplicable

Edit: I mean among so many other things it won the Golden Globe for best series it's not like it's some obscure British show

kiimo fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 20, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

kiimo posted:

I know what The Crown is. The Crown is super boring, is what it is.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Something something millennials

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

kiimo posted:

Edit: I mean among so many other things it won the Golden Globe for best series it's not like it's some obscure British show

OH poo poo IT WON A PRESTIGIOUS AND MEANINGFUL GOLDEN GLOBE?!?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Pfft, let me know when it wins a VMA.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha touche

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bring back the Cable ACE awards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007