Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kiryen posted:

Congress is having a hard time getting organized. It isn't "extreme". Extreme is not where you think it is.

The supreme court nomination process was proof that matters are extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

What's the third most populous city in Syria

Name one district of Syria

Name one of Syria's non-petroleum major exports (e: pre-war obviously)

Tell me if the American retirement age has gone up

How much of the almanac do I need to have memorized before I can be bothered that we routinely murder innocent people in needless wars and call it collateral damage?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

north korea would be in retaliation to a peaceful military test, creating a war with a relatively vulnerable country because they're pursuing things we don't want them to have.

the point is, not everyone is so callous or numb to the proposition of American military intervention. war is an unequivocally bad thing and its disgusting that democrats are becoming increasingly pro-war

What's disgusting is your excuse-making for a regime that threatens war every 15 minutes or so and has done things like unprovoked sinkings of SK warships for no real reason. "Peaceful military test" - some serious spologism ITT.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

How much of the almanac do I need to have memorized before I can be bothered that we routinely murder innocent people in needless wars and call it collateral damage?

I'm not pro-bombing-Syria, but the average person in the USA is not even aware of most of the US's war crimes and goes about their day largely unaffected by our troubled history in Laos.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

if you could ditch abortion, you might be pleasantly surprised

yeah i read somewhere that a lot of people who vote republican really only do it bc of abortion, like lots of catholics are pretty liberal especially economically.lots of catholic thinkers--pope eg--are not libertarian capitalists and the church has a long history of being opposed to it. etcetc. its kind of a turnoff though when noone can articulate why they think abortion is okay,not saying there arent any arguments there certainly are but its not like people hate 'choice' or some bs when its an anthropological question and a very complex one. if my neighbor head was fused to my leg in a welding accident i cant cut him head off with a chisel right

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

fruit on the bottom posted:

look, a gas attack killed one third the amount of civilians the US did in an airstrike and they must pay for it with blood

Pick posted:

I'm not pro-bombing-Syria, but the average person in the USA is not even aware of most of the US's war crimes and goes about their day largely unaffected by our troubled history in Laos.

my uncle just died after liver failure due to Agent Orange he was exposed to in the 101st while in Cambodia and Laos, just saying

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

noone can articulate why they think abortion is okay,

Taking human life isn't cool? :shrug:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kiryen posted:

What's disgusting is your excuse-making for a regime that threatens war every 15 minutes or so and has done things like unprovoked sinkings of SK warships for no real reason. "Peaceful military test" - some serious spologism ITT.

apparently, and im hardly an expert, nkorea's weird military posturing comes from the years that they were basically japanese slaves and they'll set on never being in that position again. im not defending north korea but i think their shenanigans are a bit more complicated than saber-rattling.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Orkin Mang posted:

yeah i read somewhere that a lot of people who vote republican really only do it bc of abortion, like lots of catholics are pretty liberal especially economically.lots of catholic thinkers--pope eg--are not libertarian capitalists and the church has a long history of being opposed to it. etcetc. its kind of a turnoff though when noone can articulate why they think abortion is okay,not saying there arent any arguments there certainly are but its not like people hate 'choice' or some bs when its an anthropological question and a very complex one. if my neighbor head was fused to my leg in a welding accident i cant cut him head off with a chisel right

Actually you could. There's a tremendous amount of protection in the USA for the self and the right to act in a self-interested manner.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

apparently, and im hardly an expert, nkorea's weird military posturing comes from the years that they were basically japanese slaves and they'll set on never being in that position again. im not defending north korea but i think their shenanigans are a bit more complicated than saber-rattling.

It's probably also from the fact that we killed 20% of their population.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

my uncle just died after liver failure due to Agent Orange he was exposed to in the 101st while in Cambodia and Laos, just saying

Yeah cool, that's not true of most people.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Blue Raider posted:

also it's worth noting that South Korea was a dictatorship until the 1980's with an arguably worse standard of living than the North

but people forget that because they drive a Hyundai now

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Pick posted:

The supreme court nomination process was proof that matters are extreme.

Democrats going almost entirely against a judge they previously supported unanimously, when they can't possibly win is extreme only in terms of how stupid it is - and it's driven by leftist voters who can't accept that they lost.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I trust Iran with nukes more than I trust the N.Koreans with them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like you're confusing a lot of "is" and "ought", I'm saying the average person cares more about if they can make rent than literally any loving thing that has ever happened or will ever happen in Syria, and most people are a loving hair's breadth from homelessness and they know this.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Actually you could. There's a tremendous amount of protection in the USA for the self and the right to act in a self-interested manner.

ill chisel his head open like a coconut and drink his brains then :rolleyes:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Kiryen posted:

they want a deterrent to prevent the US from declaring war on them

currently the US is threatening to start a war with them

north korea is not going to start a war that will see its nation destroyed and its leadership culled. people don't get to power in a murderous dictatorship by being suicidal. come on.

i don't think north korea is great, nor do i love it. but i also don't see it as "dangerous." stupid and belligerent sometimes, sure. but so's the US and our belligerence has significantly greater consequences than north korea's. we're the danger. poo poo people in here are calling for war with one of russia's strongest allies, a war that they've declared to be a "red line" that the US shouldn't cross.

but nah, its north korea that's dangerous because somehow despite (poorly) managing a nation of millions they're actually a suicidal death cult just waiting to nuke everything in the region because their national leader is somehow bored of living a life of incomprehensible decadence and banging his army of sex-slaves

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Orkin Mang posted:

ill chisel his head open like a coconut and drink his brains then :rolleyes:

You can't desecrate a corpse though.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Nope not old. I find these sort of things highly amusing. LOL.

Less political talk, more Hillary dunking please.

Krustic fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 20, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Honky Dong Country posted:

I trust Iran with nukes more than I trust the N.Koreans with them.

one of these is involved in a proxy war against the US while supporting terrorist organizations and one is not

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

I think sinking that SK ship was a lot more than saber rattling, and that's not the only time they've taken pot shots. People are quick to forget they've provoked armed incidents a number of times over the years in their rush to claim we're the aggressive ones for domestic political points.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

You can't desecrate a corpse though.

ill eat his brains in the 6 seconds his brain steam is still alive then

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I also don't give a poo poo about Syria, but I've got no problem with us bombing the poo poo out of fundamentalist assholes like ISIS or any jerks using chemical weapons because not doing so sets a bad precedent and fundamentalist psychos like ISIS shouldn't be allowed to dig in any further than they already have.

Do I think an invasion is in order? Hell no.

VikingSkull posted:

one of these is involved in a proxy war against the US while supporting terrorist organizations and one is not

I agree but I worry less about Iran's leadership, as opposed to N.Korea's insane dictator just up and popping a nuke off because they feel threatened by a military exercise or something. I'm more speaking strictly to the idea of N. Korea having nukes which is what's got the current poo poo stirred up so bad recently.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 20, 2017

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

they want a deterrent to prevent the US from declaring war on them

currently the US is threatening to start a war with them

You're right, they just started their nuke program because of recent events.

quote:

north korea is not going to start a war that will see its nation destroyed and its leadership culled. people don't get to power in a murderous dictatorship by being suicidal. come on.

They already attempted to when they sank that SK frigate. It just didn't work out.

quote:

i don't think north korea is great, nor do i love it. but i also don't see it as "dangerous." stupid and belligerent sometimes, sure. but so's the US and our belligerence has significantly greater consequences than north korea's. we're the danger. poo poo people in here are calling for war with one of russia's strongest allies, a war that they've declared to be a "red line" that the US shouldn't cross.

but nah, its north korea that's dangerous because somehow despite (poorly) managing a nation of millions they're actually a suicidal death cult just waiting to nuke everything in the region because their national leader is somehow bored of living a life of incomprehensible decadence and banging his army of sex-slaves

You should probably stop having opinons seeing as how you're not even acquainted with the facts. NK has a history of trying to provoke armed responses.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kiryen posted:

I think sinking that SK ship was a lot more than saber rattling, and that's not the only time they've taken pot shots. People are quick to forget they've provoked armed incidents a number of times over the years in their rush to claim we're the aggressive ones for domestic political points.

fair point. thats definitely an example of aggressive action

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this thread, i declare it "good"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i wish i was the ayatolah so i could say 'ayatolahyouso'

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
so what do u hip dudes think of trans people and abortions

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

this thread, i declare it "good"

I gotta say this is one of the more reasonable political threads I've seen in a long, long time.

Orkin Mang posted:

so what do u hip dudes think of trans people and abortions

Not my problem personally and everybody should just be able to do what they want and be left the gently caress alone.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im the ayatollah of rock and rolla

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I've got no problem with us bombing the poo poo out of fundamentalist assholes

I think you mean extremist.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kiryen posted:

You're right, they just started their nuke program because of recent events.

They already attempted to when they sank that SK frigate. It just didn't work out.

You should probably stop having opinons seeing as how you're not even acquainted with the facts. NK has a history of trying to provoke armed responses.

answer me this question: why would North Korea want to provoke an armed response? what does North Korea have to gain from armed conflict?

israel sank the USS Liberty in cold blood, should we bomb them too?

edit: we've been in perpetual economic warfare with North Korea for decades. they act out to get economic relief because the US lead alliance is strangling their country.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

I think you mean extremist.

You're probably right that just fundamentalist wasn't the appropriate word.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

I agree but I worry less about Iran's leadership, as opposed to N.Korea's insane dictator just up and popping a nuke off because they feel threatened by a military exercise or something. I'm more speaking strictly to the idea of N. Korea having nukes which is what's got the current poo poo stirred up so bad recently.

the possibility is higher but the overall risk is lower

with Iran, all it takes is a more successful version of the uprising a few years ago, a missile at Israel and then we get the Samson Option

less possibility, much higher stakes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

VikingSkull posted:

North Korea has like zero regional ambitions, too. They aren't spreading influence or anything, they just sit there and occasionally do some token military attacks to remind people that the war technically never ended.

Iran is politically very active in local politics and are locked in their weird sectarian death struggle with the Saudis (and Israel)

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I gotta say this is one of the more reasonable political threads I've seen in a long, long time.

welcome to gbs

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You're probably right that just fundamentalist wasn't the appropriate word.

There are a lot of fundamental Jews/Christians/whatever in the US. They interpret their holy books to be complete and literal. I'm pretty sure we don't need to bomb Roman Catholics or whatever.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Blue Raider posted:

im the ayatollah of rock and rolla

You gonna be hiring anytime soon?

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Late, but: part of the reason I liked Obama in the first place in '08 was he represented a break from the Democratic Leadership Council style elements of the party. Particularly at the beginning - when he was outside the establishment and these people were on Hillary's team - they actively went for a contrasting style and a bolder message than what Mark Penn was offering. Even in 2012, a part of me wonders if Hillary Clinton's team would've been so direct on Bain Capital.

I think that's a legitimate differentiation in the Obama campaigns that wouldn't hold as true for Gore/Kerry/Clinton - though no doubt people do the "you lost therefore everything was a mess" thing, and yeah, liberalism lost.

(tho +1 Kerry is a good man who probably would've made a good president)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

North Korea has like zero regional ambitions, too. They aren't spreading influence or anything, they just sit there and occasionally do some token military attacks to remind people that the war technically never ended.

they act out for economic relief. we've been strangling them for decades. they know that their only card is military force, so its the only one they can play

• Locked thread