Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pollyanna posted:

Endgame spoilers: gearing up for what certainly seems to be the final boss, and it kinda seems like Personas at or above level 78~80 aren't very easy to get. I've managed to get a couple like Vishnu and Raphael,
but there's not much else that I can fuse up with who I can recruit nearby - I still get options like Futsunushi, and none of the interesting ones like Satan or Lucifer. And anything that is available around that level cap point requires a lot of money to get, which is in short supply cause duh final dungeon. What's the best way to break the "level cap" by this point?

Did you not max the Strength Social Link? Doing so lets you fuse above your level.

As for getting money and exp:

Farm the final two red shadows just before the finale over and over again. It's easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

guts and bolts posted:

on an unrelated note i have stubbornly decided to level up Arsene as if he does not aggressively suck rear end

this has resulted in a level 57 Arsene who has been in my team the entire game, often making fights needlessly more difficult, whose stats are bad (28 St/38 Ma/35 En/65 (!!) Ag/12 Lu) and whose loadout is bad (Eiha/Megido/One Shot Kill/Tetraja/Cripple/Regenerate 3/Endure/Resist Bless)

but he looks so cool

also what's the best way to acquire skill cards for higher-level Curse magic so I can make him more thematically appropriate

These games need a high level variant of your starting Persona that you can use instead of the starting version. Kinda like Orpheus Telos was, but not NG+ only.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You can get Eigaon by sticking Nebiros in the Electric Chair, I remember that much at least.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Did you not max the Strength Social Link? Doing so lets you fuse above your level.

As for getting money and exp:

Farm the final two red shadows just before the finale over and over again. It's easy.

Well yeah, that's the money issue I mentioned. The last two shadows do drop a good 10k yen and exp,
so I'm grinding them for now, but that's a temporary measure. I wonder if you're ever supposed to fuse up Personas like Lucifer, Helel, Satan, and Satanael (I know about that one) without max Strength?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Supremezero posted:

These games need a high level variant of your starting Persona that you can use instead of the starting version. Kinda like Orpheus Telos was, but not NG+ only.

Yeah, Persona 4 had that, too, with Izanagi-no-Okami (but, again, NG+ only).

I actually hoped that you could get an updated version of Arsene when he shows up at the end of Sae's palace leading up to the interrogation, but no dice, I guess.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Well yeah, that's the money issue I mentioned. The last two shadows do drop a good 10k yen and exp,
so I'm grinding them for now, but that's a temporary measure. I wonder if you're ever supposed to fuse up Personas like Lucifer, Helel, Satan, and Satanael (I know about that one) without max Strength?

It's 20k if you levelled the Star SLink and kill them in one turn via ambush.

I hit level 87 grinding those two shadows for about 40 minutes, went into the final boss and stomped his rear end flat with Lucifer.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Persona 4 had that, too, with Izanagi-no-Okami (but, again, NG+ only).

I actually hoped that you could get an updated version of Arsene when he shows up at the end of Sae's palace leading up to the interrogation, but no dice, I guess.

Izanagi-no-Okami was stylistically pretty different from Izanagi. Like, at a base level, he was similar, but he had a pimp suit design rather than Izanagi's delinquent design.

Granted, Izanagi-no-Okami's pimp suit is probably better than Izanagi, but still.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's 20k if you levelled the Star SLink and kill them in one turn via ambush.

I hit level 87 grinding those two shadows for about 40 minutes, went into the final boss and stomped his rear end flat with Lucifer.

Might as well. Wish the leveling went all the way to 99, but I guess I expected some grinding to happen. I'll grind them out (still annoyed that Kali doesn't have any weaknesses I can easily exploit).

edit: gently caress i dont think lucifer is one of the personas i managed to unlock by the end, gently caress. oh well

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 20, 2017

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Rain also gives extra knowledge when studying in the cafe, but I don't think there's ever any reason to do that once you've got access to the diner?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Supremezero posted:

i get that they want to encourage you to exploit the mons system, but honestly you'd do that anyway on any difficulty beyond the easiest, because early-game Joker's entire role in the party is to have elemental coverage that his teammates don't have

enabling Arsene to keep learning skills past level, like, loving 9 would be cool as long as they kept him within one element (curse) and balanced him to be good but slightly weaker than a party member's persona of the same level, instead he's just complete trash - two innate weaknesses, stops learning stuff at a trivially low level in the game, has terrible stat growth outside of apparently Agility, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Might as well. Wish the leveling went all the way to 99, but I guess I expected some grinding to happen. I'll grind them out (still annoyed that Kali doesn't have any weaknesses I can easily exploit).

You could go all the way to 99, I just couldn't be bothered. :shrug:

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
How am I suppose to gain any sort of experience and level up in palaces when everything I sneak attack gets instakilled with no fight? If I don't sneak kill them the palace security goes through the roof and I get kicked out so it seems like the dumbest thing to include in the game.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If you're instakilling stuff in a Palace, then you're already overlevelled for that Palace.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you're kill-ambushing them you're high enough level that you'd only get like 25% of the exp anyways, and you're also high enough level to beat whatever palace you're on.

e: I ran into this a few times trying to get money, since I didn't know to confuse mementos bosses. The exp is basically worthless at that point though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Literally nothing happens to you until you hit 100% and you can easily avoid that. Having a high security rating makes Treasure Demons more likely to appear, which are really good

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

Dragonatrix posted:

If you're instakilling stuff in a Palace, then you're already overlevelled for that Palace.

or at the very least, be able to win the battle without the advantage of an ambush.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

How am I suppose to gain any sort of experience and level up in palaces when everything I sneak attack gets instakilled with no fight? If I don't sneak kill them the palace security goes through the roof and I get kicked out so it seems like the dumbest thing to include in the game.

Anti grinding son

Get through on your tactics and strategy not your numbers

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So what's the actual explanation for Hell Biker, the raddest midgame Persona? Is there actually some mythological basis here or did an Atlus employee look at Ghost Rider and hear about the Hell's Angels and get confused?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

his japanese name is literally hell's angel. so he's just a persona representing the effect the hell's angel and biker gang culture as a whole had on the public consciousness.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grinding for a bit worked out. Is it worth putting both Heat Riser and Debilitate on a Persona, or should I stick with just Debilitate? Trying to get my Metatron together.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My dislike of anime girls strikes again because even though I know that Makoto is Best Girl, I do not want to kiss her while there are many kissable boys (especially Best Boy Yusuke).

I was hoping I'd start feeling into Makoto but nope. :( Guess I'm going for the bros before hos ending and hoping that in Persona 5: Red they remember that people attracted to guys play these games too and come up with another female MC (hahahahaHAHAHAHA) or allow everyone to be dateable. Except for the Hell No ones obviously.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I would almost regret choosing to grind the Reaper if I didn't see the rewards. 75k~ a pop! :eyepop:

So much for the power curve.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kalsco posted:

I would almost regret choosing to grind the Reaper if I didn't see the rewards. 75k~ a pop! :eyepop:

So much for the power curve.

Pity that the Flu effect isn't very reliable. I only ever got it to work once at a time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hopeandjoy posted:

My dislike of anime girls strikes again because even though I know that Makoto is Best Girl, I do not want to kiss her while there are many kissable boys (especially Best Boy Yusuke).

I was hoping I'd start feeling into Makoto but nope. :( Guess I'm going for the bros before hos ending and hoping that in Persona 5: Red they remember that people attracted to guys play these games too and come up with another female MC (hahahahaHAHAHAHA) or allow everyone to be dateable. Except for the Hell No ones obviously.

Your wish of a female MC will be granted, but you can only date Mishima.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pollyanna posted:

Grinding for a bit worked out. Is it worth putting both Heat Riser and Debilitate on a Persona, or should I stick with just Debilitate? Trying to get my Metatron together.

It sounds good on paper, but using both and rotating in your *Charge / Damage spells means your not doing anything 3/4 of your turns. I usually stuck with Debilitate and let party members deal with buffs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Pity that the Flu effect isn't very reliable. I only ever got it to work once at a time.

You have to ambush them. Or at least engage them when they aren't directly looking at you. I found that running by them and circling around to hit their sides worked well since the reaper turns slowly. Still takes a few tries since the flu isn't 100%. But I never got the flu debuff to work when I just ran into them head on and I must have run away and re-engaged over 30 times.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

It's better to use the Ma- buff spells over Heat Riser, cause it only takes 3 casts compared to 4 to buff the whole party.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

From what I understand it only works once per floor, so once it gets the flu on that floor it'll never happen again. But until it does you can keep engaging it in rapid succession.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

shouldn't everyone's end-game plan essentially be "stack passives on MC persona, give him 1SK or Riot Gun plus whatever Almighty ability du jour that you want, you are now unbeatable"?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

guts and bolts posted:

shouldn't everyone's end-game plan essentially be "stack passives on MC persona, give him 1SK or Riot Gun plus whatever Almighty ability du jour that you want, you are now unbeatable"?

Who's in charge of Debilitating the enemy, then?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

guts and bolts posted:

Haru already gets the damage passives and oneshot kill so I just went with charge + colossal phys

There really aren't any enemies in p5 that call for almighty attacks tbqh

Pollyanna posted:

Who's in charge of Debilitating the enemy, then?

i mean you always have a trumpeter on top of whatever else you're using that's just common sense

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

guts and bolts posted:

The best offensive combo is Yoshitune and Hassou Tobi so not at all.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

UberJew posted:

Haru already gets the damage passives and oneshot kill so I just went with charge + colossal phys

There really aren't any enemies in p5 that call for almighty attacks tbqh

i mean you always have a trumpeter on top of whatever else you're using that's just common sense

I'm just hypothesizing

Tower Rank 10 makes Gun preferable to Phys if you're playing blind, no? -- unless it doesn't apply the way I think it does. and then Almighty is there just for whatever. so in such a scenario as "I don't actually know what this hellboss does on NG+," you can safely just spam 1SK/Riot Gun and/or Almighty moves and be completely unresistable with bonus damage out the wazoo from Cripple/Snipe and Almighty Boost/Almighty Amp

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
if you're on merciless you might need to be abusing status effects for technicals and instakills w/ high luck because damage is lowered i suppose

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I know that during a playthrough you can't change difficulty if you go to Safety mode.

But if you finish a Safety playthrough then start a NG+, can you take it off Safety then or is that save slot permanently stuck on Safety?

I'd like to finish the game, load it back up on Safety and cheese a shitload of money, then start a NG+ with all of it so I can just play around with the compendium.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The problem with OSK on Bosses is that they're immune to crits

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

guts and bolts posted:

I'm just hypothesizing

Tower Rank 10 makes Gun preferable to Phys if you're playing blind, no? -- unless it doesn't apply the way I think it does. and then Almighty is there just for whatever. so in such a scenario as "I don't actually know what this hellboss does on NG+," you can safely just spam 1SK/Riot Gun and/or Almighty moves and be completely unresistable with bonus damage out the wazoo from Cripple/Snipe and Almighty Boost/Almighty Amp

getting almighty boost/amp at all blind is not gonna happen (afaik its pure rng on network executions only) and again there's just not really any hellbosses that are quite on the nocturne level and you can outright buy homonculus from the shop this time

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

OneDeadman posted:

The problem with OSK on Bosses is that they're immune to crits

Even so, OSK with Boost+Amp and the appropriate buffs and debuffs is gonna do a real number to whoever's on the receiving end.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

Even so, OSK with Boost+Amp and the appropriate buffs and debuffs is gonna do a real number to whoever's on the receiving end.

Absolutely, but haru gets OSK/cripple/snipe already

MC's time is better spent either managing the buffs or abusing charge/concentrate since nobody on the party is quite ideal for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

that was sort of what i was driving at - 1SK when you have Cripple/Snipe and Tower Rank 10 is a safe choice for spamming big numbers with no risk of getting owned by Nul/Str/Rpl and seems pretty easy to put together, all things being equal

e: ^^^^ my thing was mostly in considering Shinya's max Confidant bonus, so in situations where Haru's gun damage wouldn't work, Joker's still will, which is maybe overthinking it

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 20, 2017