Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that a lot of your responses to Sae's assertions can be "....If that's what you wanna think, go for it i guess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally got my copy today. Two hours in, and the only disappointment so far is they changed the VA for Igor.

Like...what the gently caress, Atlus?

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah they do.

What rank are you at? Having her do various things like Coffee/Curry/Washing is locked to higher levels.

You can also only raise her link on Friday/Saturday nights.

:cripes:

0. Turns out I never actually talked to her outside the office and started her link. DuhhhHHHHHH.

e: Sae's accusations are getting increasingly dumb. "Someone MUST have been washing your clothing, otherwise you would have never had the time to do crime!" OK there, Ace Detective.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 21, 2017

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

VolticSurge posted:

Oh,that's good to hear. Because,based on this site one of my co-workers emailed me,it supposedly is that bad.

That site does point out problems but it's one thing to collect all the worst examples of the translation in a single site and throw them at you all at once, as opposed to running into them periodically in a 100 hour incredibly story-centric JRPG.

As others have said the amount of dialogue in the game is stupidly huge. This does not excuse some of the errors that site highlights - the game really could have used another editing pass or some more work on localization as opposed to translation - but the plot is engrossing, the majority of dialogue flows well, and the voice actors as a whole are good enough to sell even bad lines so that they're not as noticeable during the actual flow of a scene.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You can also raise Temperence on some Wednesdays, I think she has to text you first.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zhaan posted:

Well, this playthrough will go fast then. Nice.

Its why the game warns you you won't have as many hang outs with people.

If you care about things like like knicknacks in your room you gotta go out with people after you max them since you will naturally skip almost all the non-rank meetings.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

Every time I hear that ticking clock and it fast forwards to the interview room I keep waiting for Phoenix Wright to burst in and keep being sad when he doesn't.

Alternately I keep waiting for a "uh where's my lawyer?" dialogue option and since there hasn't been one I've been picking "......." every single time, I hope the game acknowledges I ain't no snitch

You have awakened to True Justice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VolticSurge posted:

Oh,that's good to hear. Because,based on this site one of my co-workers emailed me,it supposedly is that bad.

Did you actually read anything on that site because it's comically stupid

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AlternateNu posted:

Finally got my copy today. Two hours in, and the only disappointment so far is they changed the VA for Igor.

The Japanese VA died, and I guess they figured trying to impersonate him would be disrespectful or something.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AlternateNu posted:

Igor's Japanese voice actor died, so His English voice actor was changed to match up with the new Japanese voice

Welcome to his Velvet Room

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The translation is not the greatest and occasionally you'll have to read into the text beyond what is written/said, but never to the point where it gets in the way of the story or what's actually happening. And across 100 hours of text boxes and dialogues I thought it was mostly fine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Like, the basic ideas of the site are actually not bad -- that translation is about ideas, not word-for-word transliteration, and that the use of stock phrases and awkward syntax can hurt storytelling by making it harder to clearly define characters.

It would probably have been better framed as an informational article about translation in general as opposed to a hit piece on this specific game, though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah there are a ton of valid criticisms when it comes to P5's translation, considering it is actually below average. It's just that uh, some people seem to get kind of weird about it like people on the internet tend to do. (Haven't actually looked at the website though so I don't know if it's that or not)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Ninth Layer posted:

You can also raise Temperence on some Wednesdays, I think she has to text you first.

I think it can be Tuesday/Wednesday? I'm pretty sure she's texted me on Tuesday saying she was working that night.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

precision posted:

I think it can be Tuesday/Wednesday? I'm pretty sure she's texted me on Tuesday saying she was working that night.

She's always available on Fridays and Saturdays, and texts you whenever she's available on other days.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VolticSurge posted:

Eh, I kinda understand where they're coming from on a few of these. That one about the part-time worker is dead on and correct, while the one about Ann is pretty inconsequential. The stuff about scattered dialogue in particular is something I picked up on and it bothered me quite a bit. The rest are somewhat nitpicky but valid concerns that are worth discussing. I side with the site writer on most things, though I wouldn't call the translation a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

That's not to say the translation is a trainwreck, but it's clear that it was so big that some things fell through the cracks. That's life.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

That's not to say the translation is a trainwreck, but it's clear that it was so big that some things fell through the cracks. That's life.

Some might say... it can't be helped, right :v:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Harrow posted:

I'm curious: what did everyone name Joker?

At this point I generally name my Persona protagonists after previous Persona or SMT characters, which is how my Joker became a distant relative of the Kuzunoha clan.

Thread moves too fuckin fast for me, but say hello to Neurion Kuzunoha.

Now I'm wondering who would win in a fight -- Kuzunoha or Joker.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Stray thought about the end of palace 7 how many shihos did goro end up creating during his "intentionally make terrible criminals via mental breakdown, then solve the case so I can be a celebrity" stuff, I don't mean rape so much as I just mean "lives that were heavily if not permanently disrupted for no reason beyond being in the wrong place at the wrong time"

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
lots

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

Stray thought about the end of palace 7 how many shihos did goro end up creating during his "intentionally make terrible criminals via mental breakdown, then solve the case so I can be a celebrity" stuff, I don't mean rape so much as I just mean "lives that were heavily if not permanently disrupted for no reason beyond being in the wrong place at the wrong time"
Well we know of one: Futaba

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like, the basic ideas of the site are actually not bad -- that translation is about ideas, not word-for-word transliteration, and that the use of stock phrases and awkward syntax can hurt storytelling by making it harder to clearly define characters.
That's a very interesting and nonstandard use of the word "transliteration".

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

darealkooky posted:

Literally hundreds considering the train derail alone without even going into the rest

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I looked for it, and they never actually say that train derailment killed anyone. Which is absolutely bananas, I played the beginning of Devil Survivor 2, I know what happens

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

That's a very interesting and nonstandard use of the word "transliteration".

OK, thanks. That was quickly typed out and I used the word incorrectly. Now if I were getting paid to post, then that would be a different story

Moltrey posted:

I looked for it, and they never actually say that train derailment killed anyone. Which is absolutely bananas, I played the beginning of Devil Survivor 2, I know what happens

Palace 7 spoilers A guy in Shido's palace says that the derailment was an assassination, so someone died at least

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 21, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Moltrey posted:

I mean the question was

"lives that were heavily if not permanently disrupted for no reason beyond being in the wrong place at the wrong time"

I think everyone on that train, and affected by the crazy fallout from it counts even if they didn't die. That had to have a ton of injuries and emotional scarring at the very least.

Also the conductor counts as an innocent dude just doing his job who was murdered to gently caress up things for the government.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I know for a fact that one Flu Season period starts around 12/8, because I'm currently trying to beat every videogame before reloading to 12/5

Although I still have no idea where to get Liquid Mercury, and I need them to make the stupid lockpick I no longer give a gently caress about

trophies

Apparently it only drops in futaba's palace. I got to 9/10 and literally never saw another one the entire game. Not that it ultimately matters because I missed like, 2 chest since I ran out of keys shortly after.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK, thanks. That was quickly typed out and I used the word incorrectly. Now if I were getting paid to post, then that would be a different story
That's a big reason why fan posts can be so bad. It's really hard to get a competent posting team to stick together when nobody's paying for it, so it's often just one person posting without an editor, and they're not really accountable to anybody.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

guts and bolts posted:

Although I still have no idea where to get Liquid Mercury, and I need them to make the stupid lockpick I no longer give a gently caress about

trophies

You can find them in mementos. I'm not sure if they spawn as the treasure you can drive over, but the mobs definitely drop it. I want to say it drops in the 5th and 6th palaces as well.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

FractalSandwich posted:

That's a big reason why fan posts can be so bad. It's really hard to get a competent posting team to stick together when nobody's paying for it, so it's often just one person posting without an editor, and they're not really accountable to anybody.

This is loving hilarious.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can find them in mementos. I'm not sure if they spawn as the treasure you can drive over, but the mobs definitely drop it. I want to say it drops in the 5th and 6th palaces as well.

Anubis drops it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pollyanna posted:

Eh, I kinda understand where they're coming from on a few of these. That one about the part-time worker is dead on and correct, while the one about Ann is pretty inconsequential. The stuff about scattered dialogue in particular is something I picked up on and it bothered me quite a bit. The rest are somewhat nitpicky but valid concerns that are worth discussing. I side with the site writer on most things, though I wouldn't call the translation a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah well I mean, the site can't even muster up 20 legitimate problems without resorting to calling a dropped comma "absolute gibberish" ("You might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown" is the phrase, and it's entirely comprehensible even without the comma)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah well I mean, the site can't even muster up 20 legitimate problems without resorting to calling a dropped comma "absolute gibberish" ("You might have done a variety of things in hiding in your hometown" is the phrase, and it's entirely comprehensible even without the comma)

It's an incredibly mangled sentence even if it's comprehensible.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VolticSurge posted:

I like how none of the reasons for "so why aren't people complaining about it?" are "the game is really loving good and the script, while occasionally awkward, is coherent and better than most videogame stories anyway".

Like he gets so close when he notes that this wouldn't be an acceptable translation for a screenplay or something

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

"You (sir or ma'am) may have done a variety of things in hiding (in secret) in your hometown (where you are from)"? I mean, sure I've read and enjoyed William Burroughs but I'm pretty sure it's still only "a little awkward" and nowhere near "incredibly mangled".

But fine, how about another horrible translation betrayal according to that site:

"At least we avoided the worst-case scenario of being reported arbitrarily." The site's only comment on this is "People just don't talk like that". What? Yes they do? Or they might? What?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wizard on a water slide posted:

I like how none of the reasons for "so why aren't people complaining about it?" are "the game is really loving good and the script, while occasionally awkward, is coherent and better than most videogame stories anyway".

It's not really about claiming that the game is bad, so much as fighting against people saying that you're wrong.

Oxxidation posted:

It's not a great sentence. I mean, there's a fuckload of ways you can translate something, and it's more of an art than a science, but there's still some options that aren't optimal. That sentence falls pretty flat for me.

precision posted:

But fine, how about another horrible translation betrayal according to that site:

"At least we avoided the worst-case scenario of being reported arbitrarily." The site's only comment on this is "People just don't talk like that". What? Yes they do? Or they might? What?

:psyduck: I sure don't. "At least we didn't get reported for no reason."

As a general rule: in English, the more direct, the better. The opposite holds true in Japanese.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 21, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just started December and I am facing analysis paralysis when it comes to Personae, considering I can make anything if I have enough money at this point

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Help I can't stop listening to rivers in the desert.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just started December and I am facing analysis paralysis when it comes to Personae, considering I can make anything if I have enough money at this point

Try and go as high level as you can. :getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

"You (sir or ma'am) may have done a lot of things in hiding (in secret) in your hometown (where you are from)"? I mean, sure I've read and enjoyed William Burroughs but I'm pretty sure it's still only "a little awkward" and nowhere near "incredibly mangled".

They don't. Not remotely. "Being reported arbitrarily" isn't a phrase that exists in conversational English, and it pairs poorly with "worst-case scenario."

Like the translation does ease up after the first Palace but it remains mildly off-key throughout and the more egregious examples are the kind of thing you would expect to see in a pretentious manga scanlation, not from professional work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My favorite line in the game is still

quote:

W-what was voice!?