Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Drunk Theory posted:

So, $40 minimum for 1 point huh. And the rewards are an in-game Hello Kitty jpg for your spaceman for $40 and a $35 spaceship for $400.
Sounds great!

Can we all pause for a minute to reflect on how weird the Hello Kitty thing is? I mean, above and beyond the fact that they are ripping off the artwork of a company that basically exists to sell one single image and sue anyone who misuses it. This is a game with a population that is 99.9% male and, as far as I've ever seen, is mostly composed of the really creepy kind of redpill nonsense spouting douchebag that you see on a lot of on the internet these days. The point is, it's not really the prime demographic for Hello Kitty. Like, I doubt that a hot pink motorbike with a hello kitty logo is going to motivate a whole hell of a lot of people. Where's the blatant Mark Hamill tie in? How about some old Wing Commander product placement? Something relevant to the crowd you're trying to trick into selling your non-game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Of course. Of course. Here I am asking who would go for a hot pink hello kitty bike, and here they come right on schedule. CIG could be mailing out a literal pile of dogshit for "Only" 400 subscribers and Lethality would be out there hooting and jumping up and down about it. That dude takes unearned enthusiasm to a level I've never seen before.

I really like that the reward for 2,000+ referrals is a spaceship that has only ever existed in dreams and bullshot trailers. I like that people paid 1,000 dollars for it, five years ago, and it's still not delivered and they aren't even a little bit upset about that. It is a very fitting, very Star Citizen kind of reward.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Triple post P.S. : The people saying they have to sell something, you are thinking of a sweepstakes, not a contest. It's perfectly legal to award prizes based on "Accomplishment" as long as you aren't doing a random giveaway.

http://blog.rafflecopter.com/2015/04/no-purchase-necessary-giveaways/

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Chris is giving his best face

And how nice of them to hire the ghost of H.R. Giger for an interior decorator.

Also, The space cat is named Sally.

What does Ben have to say about "Sally"?

"Yes, eat all the semen sally, lick the head of my cock smooth and clean, so I can slip it back into you, pushing it deep in your soft mouth. #16449"

also that ben quote is real :staredog:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160416160319/http://trelane.hamtwoslices.net/index.php?latest=21914

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 21, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Sarsapariller posted:

Can we all pause for a minute to reflect on how weird the Hello Kitty thing is?

It has to be the brainchild of Sandi, the master marketeer. They could have made any number of cartoon characters that somehow made sense in the 'verse - even a character that was a mere wink at a sci-fi staple. Instead they designed a lawsuit-bait space cat.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

German whales rejoice, they now have their own, german Chris Roberts:

http://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/leute/chris-roberts/ist-nach-ueber-siebzig-jahren-endlich-deutscher-51374476.bild.html

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
It also could have been Chris. He had a totally original idea for this space kitty one day and spent hours describing it to the artist until his creative vision came to life.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Also, DisturbedJim being GMW could not be any more obvious so of course the brain trust on /r/DS either can't see it or just won't admit to it because then Derek would be right about something.

Not only do Jim and GMW write in the same tones their posts are littered with the same hosed up punctuation.

More often then not both insert a space between the last word of a sentence and a question mark. Both constantly fail to add a space between a period or comma and the next word. Jim is just too loving stupid to pull off an alt account.

But it's just another hilarious case of the Derek Smart fanclub projecting.

They accuse Derek of having alts and ghost writing anti-SC articles, while hiding behind alts and spouting anti-Derek poo poo.

They accuse Derek of harassment and stalking, while documenting his every word and constantly rolling new twitter accounts so they can harass when the others are blocked.

They accuse him of trying to hurt CIG financially out of spite at the same time they review bomb his games and try to get them pulled from online sales.

I want this trainwreck to keep going because it's so crazy but holy poo poo is watching these fringe nut jobs meltdown going to be great once the dream factory plum gives out and there is no more doubt that Derek Smart was right.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

SirPenguin posted:

i tried to maximize the amount of copyrights infringed upon so we can guarantee some legal action

:drat:

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

It was not the lies, incompetence, corruption, or greed that brought down Croberts and his scam. No, in the end it was Hello Kitty.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Star Citizen is good

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Sarsapariller posted:

Can we all pause for a minute to reflect on how weird the Hello Kitty thing is? I mean, above and beyond the fact that they are ripping off the artwork of a company that basically exists to sell one single image and sue anyone who misuses it. This is a game with a population that is 99.9% male [...]. The point is, it's not really the prime demographic for Hello Kitty.
+

matt2hews posted:

It has to be the brainchild of Sandi, the master marketeer. They could have made any number of cartoon characters that somehow made sense in the 'verse - even a character that was a mere wink at a sci-fi staple. Instead they designed a lawsuit-bait space cat.

CIG is composed of something close to 80% artists and Space Kitty looks like something I could do in under 2 hours of MS paint or 30 mins with Inkscape.

I can't wait to see what straw breaks the camel's back at this point. Shutting down the forums and now amping up the MLM tactics? You've gotta hand it to the whale community, they really know how to take a beating.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Virtual Captain posted:

I can't wait to see what straw breaks the camel's back at this point. Shutting down the forums and now amping up the MLM tactics? You've gotta hand it to the whale community, they really know how to take a beating.

A Whale posted:

I got 2 recruits over the last 7 months from the referral code randomizer here in the sub, and got really sick of waiting. Somebody here a few weeks ago made a post about using Google AdWords to get recruits. I was offered $100 free AdWord credit from my web hosting provider, so I figured, what the hell, I'll try it on the next Free Fly weekend, I have no need of it otherwise. So I just made an ad that advertised the Free Fly 5K + SuperHornet and slapped it up. Got 33 prospects, 5 have turned into recruits, assuming they all came from the ad campaign. It's possible some may have come from the referral randomizer, but unlikely and impossible to tell.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66i0j2/this_is_how_ive_felt_about_referrals_since_the/?st=j1rhp9m4&sh=55374414

They are literally running paid ad campaigns for CIG. $100 of "Free" advertising netted him the in-hangar golf cart. What a bargain!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It looks even more like Hello Kitty with how it's placed here. I can't imagine a single person glancing at this and not immediately thinking of Hello Kitty.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Can we all pause for a minute to reflect on how weird the Hello Kitty thing is? I mean, above and beyond the fact that they are ripping off the artwork of a company that basically exists to sell one single image and sue anyone who misuses it. This is a game with a population that is 99.9% male and, as far as I've ever seen, is mostly composed of the really creepy kind of redpill nonsense spouting douchebag that you see on a lot of on the internet these days. The point is, it's not really the prime demographic for Hello Kitty. Like, I doubt that a hot pink motorbike with a hello kitty logo is going to motivate a whole hell of a lot of people. Where's the blatant Mark Hamill tie in? How about some old Wing Commander product placement? Something relevant to the crowd you're trying to trick into selling your non-game?

Well, you see, Sandi likes hello kitty and it's her idea and she's the best at everything since she was a little girl. Any questions?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah but hello kitty is cute as gently caress and space kitten is really bland and meh.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

I love how they KNEW they would leave a trace if they tried to photoshop away the bow.

They KNEW they would be found out and called out.

So they dropped a loving huge oval over the bow to make it go away and not be Hello Kitty.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
this is just loving blatant

even for cig

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q15yNrJHOak

I don't know why I post this but I enjoyed it and there's a couple of you who're nerds like me

I liked it, so thanks.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SirPenguin posted:

i tried to maximize the amount of copyrights infringed upon so we can guarantee some legal action

:pgabz:

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

grimcreaper posted:

Where was the sale? I didnt see it posted on steam.

Greenmangaming had it on sale this past weekend. I assume it'll go up on sale for the steam summer sale. I just check the coupons forum regularly.

Also, someone who knows how to get in touch with Sanrio should let them know that their thing is being infringed upon. Anime being the downfall of star citizen is just too perfect.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/855208118413864961

Out of place artwork: ✔
Stretch image to fit: ✔
Glass is white background color: ✔
Cut from photoshop using magic wand: ✔✔✔

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
finally, my dreams of a furry space girlfriend are being realized

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Top three are Star Citizen streamers/youtubers, and the top two were featured in the ATV video along with their codes. Fair contest hype!

:confuoot:

:allears:

Star Citizen: plebs need not apply

:ohdear:

:cawg: :homebrew: :laffo:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Top three are Star Citizen streamers/youtubers, and the top two were featured in the ATV video along with their codes. Fair contest hype!

:confuoot:

:allears:

Star Citizen: plebs need not apply

:ohdear:

:cawg: :homebrew: :laffo:

It blew my mind when they introduced the whole referral thing back at last citizencon(?), but jeez louise this is just Chris and Sandi whispering "gently caress you" in both of your ears if you are a backer.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/855349874237243392

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

:popeye:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
When Sandi Made Sally

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
It's a lot harder to make fun of Star Citizen since CIG started doing such a good job of it themselves.

moma you getting one of these iconic new designs on a t-shirt or something?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I am and I hope you are too!

They are giving rewards for bringing in more buyers, that's a multi level marketing scheme, isn't it?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

"Hello Kitty" is two words of consonant-vowel-doubled consonant-vowel. "Sally" is also consonant-vowel-doubled consonant-vowel.

Calling her "space kitten" is just weird, though. Maybe "Sally space kitty" was too far even for them.

Engaging in Reddit theft for my taxxe:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

It's Refund Rodney here to talk about the dangers of crowdfunding scams.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Star Kitten with Commandos.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

This was somehow the funniest thing to me

A little behind in the thread but if you accept that 'reward' you give CIG the right to use your personal details, pics, account details however they see fit "without compensation" forever lol. The small print is funny.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kosumo posted:

But she has no wedding ring on like she did the other week, what does this mean .... so confused.

Edit : She not he .... bad mistake

Sandi didn't take the pledge :(

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
yikes

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Who the gently caress greenlighted that kitty. Theres no way thats different enough to not get them sued. Also it makes zero sense and is even more of a forced meme than Drumpf or Big Bennys noodles.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

This referral program is a hell of intensive. I always knew I was a backer at heart and it is the last thing I needed to discover it. So long SA forum and gently caress you gooniuses. Here I come along ManofManyAliases/Toast to invest for my future and for that of my children still stocked in my balls but daily claiming freedom in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I don't feel as guilty for putting money down into this scam now that I can fool entice others to put down money with me!