Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So if Tanahashi is NJPW's equivalent to Cena, who is NJPW's Randy Orton?

e: I mean it's probably Shinsuke, but Randy hasn't reinvented himself to the level that Shinsuke has. Maybe if they'd just kept him aligned to the Wyatts he would've come into his own then, but noooooope

Venomous fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Venomous posted:

So if Tanahashi is NJPW's equivalent to Cena, who is NJPW's Randy Orton?

Nakamura pre gimmick change. Fucker was a great wrestler but was the blandest man alive.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

crowd pops big for orton though, particularly his music hitting and his signature spots/finisher

nakamura pre-charisma wasn't really over, was he?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I'm fairly certain there were at least 1 or 2 matches between the two that were excellent, but they had so many matches against each other that they all kind of blur together in my head as a big generic, largely forgettable mess.

I still remember one of the Rumbles, I think it was during the original brand split. There were a bunch of dudes in the ring, suddenly Orton and Cena came face to face after sevearl months apart. The camerawork hit a crescendo, ready for this crazy pop from the audience... and the crowd sat on their hands.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

dromal phrenia posted:

crowd pops big for orton though, particularly his music hitting and his signature spots/finisher

This might be my own biases. Orton just never clicked for me. He has a great create a wrestler like moveset, works a good pace when he isn't a heel, and bores the poo poo out of me regardless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Writer Cath posted:

I still remember one of the Rumbles, I think it was during the original brand split. There were a bunch of dudes in the ring, suddenly Orton and Cena came face to face after sevearl months apart. The camerawork hit a crescendo, ready for this crazy pop from the audience... and the crowd sat on their hands.

Yeah, if anything whenever the Orton/Cena rivalry sprang up in a video package or was mentioned in commentary the thing that immediately sprang to mind was them facing off to completely indifference from the crowd.

Which in turn reminded me of what it was trying to emulate, which was the Rumble where Austin and Rock have beaten up everybody else, spot each other from across the ring and both raise to their feet ready to fight before the other wrestlers tackle them again. Now THAT was loving cool.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Was watching the Halloween Havoc with that great DDP/ Goldberg match, and I get that the answer is just 'late WCW booking', but why on earth were they pushing Rick Steiner so much?

He wins a tag match against Scott and the Giant single-handed after his partner betrays him, then beats Scott in a one-on-one match with like 3 separate interferences, while kicking out of this full-on series of finishers like some smark's nightmare about Reigns

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh.

What match is this from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7pHSatV7uA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VileLL posted:

Was watching the Halloween Havoc with that great DDP/ Goldberg match, and I get that the answer is just 'late WCW booking', but why on earth were they pushing Rick Steiner so much?

He wins a tag match against Scott and the Giant single-handed after his partner betrays him, then beats Scott in a one-on-one match with like 3 separate interferences, while kicking out of this full-on series of finishers like some smark's nightmare about Reigns

They thought the Rick/Scott feud was bigger than it was and had some insane goal to push the least entertaining wrestler of 98-2001 as much as possible. Who knows, Rick was old and lovely, so they wanted to push him. Part of it was probably to make Scott happier but that doesn't explain most of it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That's from DDP vs Sting

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

That's from DDP vs Sting

The 98 version, they do a match in 99 that's better but the finish is less cool.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I guess I just naturally assumed there must've been a buttload of DDP/Sting matches. Modern WWE has educated me poorly. :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

I guess I just naturally assumed there must've been a buttload of DDP/Sting matches. Modern WWE has educated me poorly. :v:

They actually did have a few in 99. The great one is in April, the bad ones are later in the year when both guys were terrible. The match in the gif should be from March 23rd 98. It's really good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

This might be my own biases. Orton just never clicked for me. He has a great create a wrestler like moveset, works a good pace when he isn't a heel, and bores the poo poo out of me regardless.

It's basically what... was it Rollins? said on some podcast: Randy's REALLY good, but he's so afraid of loving something up, that he'll settle for a B rather than take a risk and either end up with a C- or an A+.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

It's basically what... was it Rollins? said on some podcast: Randy's REALLY good, but he's so afraid of loving something up, that he'll settle for a B rather than take a risk and either end up with a C- or an A+.

It was Rollins on Talk Is Jericho. In Rollins' own words, Randy likes to "Bat a thousand". This was in his story about their Mania 31 match, and how they almost didn't do the pop-up RKO spot, but Randy decided "gently caress it, I always play it safe, let's just do it." and they did it and it was incredible. Wish he'd learned the right lesson from that match but it two years later, it sure doesn't seem like it.

MassRafTer posted:

They actually did have a few in 99. The great one is in April, the bad ones are later in the year when both guys were terrible. The match in the gif should be from March 23rd 98. It's really good.

I gotcha. Thanks!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

It was Rollins on Talk Is Jericho. In Rollins' own words, Randy likes to "Bat a thousand". This was in his story about their Mania 31 match, and how they almost didn't do the pop-up RKO spot, but Randy decided "gently caress it, I always play it safe, let's just do it." and they did it and it was incredible. Wish he'd learned the right lesson from that match but it two years later, it sure doesn't seem like it.

Randy took a risk when he let Brock destroy his skull.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The problem is also that when Randy decides to take a chance and go out of his comfort zone, he is as likely to think its a good idea to do a jumping splits and just make funny faces as he is to do something cool in a match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

The problem is also that when Randy decides to take a chance and go out of his comfort zone, he is as likely to think its a good idea to do a jumping splits and just make funny faces as he is to do something cool in a match.

:confused: These words also sum up my feelings but I think you're trying to say that it's a bad thing instead of great?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dromal phrenia posted:

Yeah, young lion Nakamura wore black trunks and competed in tag matches until promoted and took a bit to find his legs after.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well, I probably would like him more if he committed to being that weirdo. As it is, he tries something new and then goes back what he's been for years now, an over pose and a finisher. Randy Orton as a modern day George Steel is now an image in my head.

Also pre charisma Nakamura was pushed as the super rookie. He was basically the culmination of late NJPW Inoki shoot fight crazy booking. He won his first IWGP belt about a year into his career.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 21, 2017

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
The last time Randy and Cena had a one-on-one match the crowd chanted "END THIS MATCH" it was so funny.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Like he could have stopped Brock anyways.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Apparently they told him that was the finish literally on the day of SummerSlam.

In retrospect, I'm surprised he didn't tell Vince to go gently caress himself on that one.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

remusclaw posted:

Also pre charisma Nakamura was pushed as the super rookie. He was basically the culmination of late NJPW Inoki shoot fight crazy booking. He won his first IWGP belt about a year into his career.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but he had a match vs Brock during that period, didn't he?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So if Tanahashi was Cena and pre-Chaos Nakamura was Orton, where would Tetsuya Naito fit in these WWE comparisons? Got pushed hard as a face for a long-rear end time, but never really caught on until he turned heel and formed a stable.

I almost wanna say Sheamus, but people still didn't care about him as a heel and the League of Nations was a hilarious failure. Maybe Nation-era Rock?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
When I think of Cena/Orton, I think of a little girl in a pretty pink dress, sticking a hot dog through a donut.

6EQUJ5 6 7 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 21, 2017

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Benne posted:

So if Tanahashi was Cena and pre-Chaos Nakamura was Orton, where would Tetsuya Naito fit in these WWE comparisons? Got pushed hard as a face for a long-rear end time, but never really caught on until he turned heel and formed a stable.

I almost wanna say Sheamus, but people still didn't care about him as a heel and the League of Nations was a hilarious failure. Maybe Nation-era Rock?

Rock is a good comparison, also the good timeline Roman Reigns

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Naito is Sheamus + Big E
Okada is Roman + AJ

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

remusclaw posted:

Orton can be a great heel. When he's not doing that, he's the most Generic Attitude Era Tweener wrestler.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Orton can be a great heel. When he's not doing that, he's the most Generic Attitude Era Tweener wrestler.

Isn't that why he's constantly fighting to stay heel?

Orton also seems to be a guy they turn any time a main eventer gets injured.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Halloween Jack posted:

I've seen very little of Orton in general, but he seems like the perfect "Do evil poo poo and then give a :smuggo: face" guy and 100% miscast for anything else.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

P-Mack posted:

Nathan Jones has been doing well for himself.

Having a fighting game character in Tekken based on him was pretty big.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
RING THE BELL

THERE IS NO BELL TO RING

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

RING THE BELL

THERE IS NO BELL TO RING
YOU DID THIS

It's one of my favourite moments in wrestling, honestly. I can show it to people who know nothing about wrestling and they're just aghast.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I knew of the Positively Kanyon angle, but I never saw any of this. Holy poo poo, that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen in wrestling. I miss that loving guy.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I'm trying to think of the last period where Orton seemed to give his all in the ring, and it's, like, Daniel Bryan in 2013, and then a whole lot of ???

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Bard Maddox posted:

I'm trying to think of the last period where Orton seemed to give his all in the ring, and it's, like, Daniel Bryan in 2013, and then a whole lot of ???

What about his performance at WrestleMania this year?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but he had a match vs Brock during that period, didn't he?

He did. Brock was the champ at the time, though, it was about 5 months before he vacated the belt due to money dispute/visa issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBEwBoK01gk

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I knew of the Positively Kanyon angle, but I never saw any of this. Holy poo poo, that's one of the funniest things I've ever seen in wrestling. I miss that loving guy.

I love the shots where you think he's going to do the cutter on one of wrestlers, but nope, it's just on some random guy in the back.

And his Cutter and the cameraman, and lying down next to him to give the Diamond sign to the camera is greater than anything Orton's ever done.

edit: and his racing away from the arena, only to stop the car to Cutter someone truly is the greatest night in the history of the sport!

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Davros1 posted:

I love the shots where you think he's going to do the cutter on one of wrestlers, but nope, it's just on some random guy in the back.

And his Cutter and the cameraman, and lying down next to him to give the Diamond sign to the camera is greater than anything Orton's ever done.

Or the one he does during training on the tech, then runs up the stairs to BANG right at the camera. And those wide shots where you see him hit the Cutter on someone way in the background and then do the taunt in silhouette.

loving brilliant