Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
agents of shield had an extremely weak start imo but then something happened and they picked up massive speed and got pretty good

It's still cheesy drivel, but very entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Legion is the only comic book show that matters though.

Bring joy into your life and watch Legion.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 21, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'll admit that it's possible the show got good after two whole, awful seasons. I have no idea.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well it's no HBO show

It's like uh, same tone as Buffy the vampire slayer or something. You got cyborgs and ghost riders and tentacle faced monsterdudes and stuff. I can see how many people wouldn't like it and the protagonists are fairly lighthearted and quip a lot

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I only watch HGTV (mostly Property Brothers and Love It or List It), classic anime (Dragon Ball Z or the original Attack on Titan), and Comic Book movies.

Would I like it?

I'm finishing up Becker now and don't have a new show lined up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's schlock. Do you enjoy Schlock? Then you might enjoy the last few eps of season 1 and onwards

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well it's no property Bros but it is fairly on par with cake wars if you've ever seen that.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's more akin to Tiny House Nation.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Zzulu posted:

agents of shield had an extremely weak start imo but then something happened and they picked up massive speed and got pretty good

It's still cheesy drivel, but very entertaining
They do arcs within the seasons even reflected on the title screen, don't hold back on being comic-weird, and things change constantly but kinda really stay the same- definitively, a comic book show. Highly enjoyable.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cvnvcnv posted:

They do arcs within the seasons even reflected on the title screen, don't hold back on being comic-weird, and things change constantly but kinda really stay the same- definitively, a comic book show. Highly enjoyable.

So, its probably most accurate to say that it's a Rehab Addict or Property Virgins-type show?

If I've already binged all of Property Virgins, then am I going to feel some Deja Vu or is it a different enough concept to keep me hooked?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

So, its probably most accurate to say that it's a Rehab Addict or Property Virgins-type show?

If I've already binged all of Property Virgins, then am I going to feel some Deja Vu or is it a different enough concept to keep me hooked?

I can't speak to those programs, I'm sorry, but it does encapsulate many of the qualities of THE GREAT BRITISH BAKE OFF.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The host of Iron Chef America was a recurring character, how has that comparison not already come up?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah he was a (lower powered) magneto.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phylodox posted:

The host of Iron Chef America was a recurring character, how has that comparison not already come up?

I think the arc where Alton Brown played the cannibal who kept yelling, "GOOD EATS!" at all of his victims was just a single episode and he only reappeared in flashbacks. Not really a recurring character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Also, this is actually the proper comparison I should've made, but I was initially trying to emphasise the differences rather than contrast, then somebody quoted it and it was too late to change it.

But if we were going for comparison rather than contrast ....

Even down to the explosions being roughly the same size and in roughly the same places :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

parallelodad posted:

No, he was a lower powered Jean Grey.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But if we were going for comparison rather than contrast ....

Even down to the explosions being roughly the same size and in roughly the same places :v:

Solid post.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

parallelodad posted:

He was more akin to The German from HEROES but to keep it within Marvel, yes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

eyebeem posted:

Solid post.

I am legitimately curious; what does a $1,200 stroller do that a normal one can't?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

LesterGroans posted:

I'll admit that it's possible the show got good after two whole, awful seasons. I have no idea.

Nah, if you didn't like season 2, you won't enjoy the rest of it. Like, if you were to have watched the first, say, 15 episodes and walked away, there'd be a possibility the rest would change your mind.

They've officially lost me now that they're doing LMD poo poo. Outside of well done stuff like The Thing, I absolutely hate 'who's real, who's just an imposter???' stuff because it's generally just the laziest way to do BIG DRAMATIC REVEALS.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Slugworth posted:

They've officially lost me now that they're doing LMD poo poo. Outside of well done stuff like The Thing, I absolutely hate 'who's real, who's just an imposter???' stuff because it's generally just the laziest way to do BIG DRAMATIC REVEALS.

They barely did that. I think there was only, like, one or two episodes where there was any doubt who was real or not, and now they're past that plotline.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Legion is the only comic book show that matters though.

Bring joy into your life and watch Legion.

Legion is great because they just let the guy who made the Fargo TV series go crazy.

iZombie is also funny. And is dangerous because it's making me want to eat brains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQ5WcY7gAo

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 21, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

No, he was a lower powered Jean Grey.

Oh yeah, it seemed like all he could move was metal at first, but it turned out his only limitation was he couldn't move organics.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I like iZombie (I'm literally watching an episode right now), but it often edges dangerously close to being precociously twee in that way that eventually made Chuck absolutely insufferable to me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

They barely did that. I think there was only, like, one or two episodes where there was any doubt who was real or not, and now they're past that plotline.

Yeah, now they are doing The Matrix except only a couple of characters now it's The Matrix and Matrix America is a Hydra-controlled fascist state (kinda like in the latest comics).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, now they are doing The Matrix except only a couple of characters now it's The Matrix and Matrix America is a Hydra-controlled fascist state (kinda like in the latest comics).

Subversive spotted.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I am legitimately curious; what does a $1,200 stroller do that a normal one can't?

Copy and paste from the last time

"I can't tell you how many thread derails have happened thanks to this custom title.

1) Luxury Tax
2) Style Tax
3) Unique design that puts the kid closer to the parent
4) Textile quality
5) Solid build

"Luxury" strollers start at about $700, and for that you can buy an Uppababy Vista which is probably the best stroller on the market when you look at the entire package including cost. If you were to compare a high end stroller to one from, say, Target, you'd get the picture pretty much immediately. No wobbles, no funky difficulties getting the wheels to go where you want them, no sticky clasps, no creaks.

Solid build is probably the biggest overall difference you will see right out of the gate. Our Stokke Xplory is a loving tank, and it rolls like the wheels are made out of clouds. It's amazing.

Beyond the cost of entry of the Uppababy, you're really paying for style and brand cache. The Stokke pictured has the fortunate/unfortunate honor of being the stroller half of the celebrity parents are photographed in for People magazine, so they can charge more for it. The textiles ARE really high quality, and it does look like nothing else out there, so that's worth some amount of money to people that can't get over the looks (like my wife).

When my wife saw one while out one day, she googled her keyword description of it to figure out what it was, having no idea how much it cost. She wanted it from day one.

We also own a Bloom Zen, which was $1,100 or so all in : http://www.giggle.com/introducing-b...en_landing.html

It's more of an "off-road capable" stroller. Like the Stokke, it is unbelievably solid, but it also folds up smaller than you could loving imagine, has solar powered lights, amazing wheels and suspension (it's smoother than the Stokke. The kid won't wake up no matter what terrain you are on), and looks the business. We have the CMYK version, which looks loving awesome. Also, great attention to detail, build, etc.

I have three kids. I've done the cheap stroller thing, and didn't even realize high end strollers were a thing until this new kid showed up. I thought it was silly that she wanted to spend so much on a stroller, but once I used one at the boutique, I realized that there really was a difference. Is the difference worth spending $1,000 more than the Chicco at Target? For us, yes. It's frivollous to a point when we could have bought a $700 Uppababy and had all of the tangible benefits, but to be honest, we can afford to spend extra on style, so we did."

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 21, 2017

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, now they are doing The Matrix

It's a What If...?, actually.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I like iZombie (I'm literally watching an episode right now), but it often edges dangerously close to being precociously twee in that way that eventually made Chuck absolutely insufferable to me.

It's also yet another loving procedural where the cop has to team up with a wacky partner.

Dauher
Jul 22, 2007
The man from not near.

Vintersorg posted:

Some great spoilers.

Not nearly enough poo poo being given to them for those GotG 2 spoilers. We don't need every comic book.com "article" shared here.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sylvester Stallone is playing Starhawk in Guardians Volume 2.

He leads a rival band of ravagers and has 4 other main members of his crew that weren't revealed until the premiere last night.

Michelle Yeoh
Ving Rhames
A giant worm-man (no actor listed, possibly CGI?)
A character called Mainframe that in the comics is a version of The Vision from the future (also no actor listed)

Gunn also says that Adam Warlock will be in Guardians Volume: 3 and other MCU Cosmic films, but for the 300th time, he is not in Guardians Volume: 2.

Hold the phone, Ving Rhames still makes movies and he's gonna be Some Dude on the B-team Guardians?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

Hold the phone, Ving Rhames still makes movies and he's gonna be Some Dude on the B-team Guardians?

Isn't he still doing Mission: Impossible movies?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Grendels Dad posted:

Ving Rhames was just in the last Mission Impossible movie and he has another movie with Glenn Close and J.K. Simmons coming out this year.

He's never stopped.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Ving Rhames was just in the last Mission Impossible movie and he has another movie with Glenn Close and J.K. Simmons coming out this year.

He's never stopped.

I googled Ving Rhames to see what he's been up to and uh, oh...

Man mauled to death at Ving Rhames' home

quote:

Massive dogs belonging to "Mission: Impossible" star Ving Rhames attacked and killed a live-in caretaker at the actor's Los Angeles home Friday, police said.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Calling it now, Michael Rosenbaum is Mainframe

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

He's never stopped.

Dur, I completely forgot about the MI movies, glad he has his franchise. My favorite role of his was Striptease, and then I saw him on some covers of what appeared to be DTV schlock and I just kinda always automatically assume that Ving Rhames has fallen off the grid.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

Dur, I completely forgot about the MI movies, glad he has his franchise. My favorite role of his was Striptease, and then I saw him on some covers of what appeared to be DTV schlock and I just kinda always automatically assume that Ving Rhames has fallen off the grid.

Also yes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Every once in a while Rhames gets caught outside in a full moon and murders a groundskeeper. This results in him accepting another role in a M;I movie so the studio hushes it all up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bring back old gbs posted:

Every once in a while Rhames gets caught outside in a full moon and murders a groundskeeper. This results in him accepting another role in a M;I movie so the studio hushes it all up.

Why the gently caress are they remaking the mummy with Tom Cruise instead of the wolfman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Slugworth posted:

Nah, if you didn't like season 2, you won't enjoy the rest of it. Like, if you were to have watched the first, say, 15 episodes and walked away, there'd be a possibility the rest would change your mind.

Yeah, I watched all of season 2 because an old roommate used to be into the show. If you did a supercut of every scene Kyle MachLachlan was in it would be my jam, other than that I wasn't into it at all.

• Locked thread