Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

We met Jason Issacs today and he mentioned filming in Toronto and I asked what he was working in and he very gruffly muttered

Star Trek

To be fair, he was talking to you...

twistedmentat posted:

A friend actually met Jason Issacs in Toronto and asked him about Star Trek and he said "it's a show". His tone was apparently "i don't want to talk about it".

...although this makes it even funnier. I don't want to see the franchise crash and burn, but, at the same time, production disasters are always good for a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

To be fair, there are a number of big-name actors who hate to discuss their time on Star Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

To be fair, he was talking to you...

...although this makes it even funnier. I don't want to see the franchise crash and burn, but, at the same time, production disasters are always good for a laugh.
He's also certainly under some kind of NDA since it hasn't aired.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Give it a couple years on the convention circuit, he'll come around.

Or kill some sperg.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 23, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Just watched TOS "The Paradise Syndrome". Kirk gets zapped by a thing that turns him into a Native American and then he marries Pocahontas, played by an obviously white chick in redface. Episode was saved entirely by the ridiculous sight of Shatner prancing around in Indian garb.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Of all the things you could have asked Jason Isaacs about, why Discovery? I want to know which reality he thought was the real one in Awake.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

This was posted in the Greatest Generation's Facebook group, and I want to know what the plot of this 90s sitcom was

Benny Russell is a food critic for his local San Francisco paper. He has a great job, funny coworkers, and quirky neighbors. But he's also got dreams of being a writer, and has some crazy ideas for a story that he keeps dreaming about and trying to pitch to his boss at the paper to publish!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Of all the things you could have asked Jason Isaacs about, why Discovery? I want to know which reality he thought was the real one in Awake.

You'll note that BD Wong was in one of the realities, therefor :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Orv posted:

You'll note that BD Wong was in one of the realities, therefor :colbert:

In his signature role, "smug, condescending doctor."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sisko and Dax are newlyweds who just moved back to Dax's hometown of San Diego. Jake is home from college and having trouble adjusting to his new stepmom and the new city. Bashir is Jake's college roommate and confidante. Kira and Quark live in the apartment next door. O'Brien is the landlord/janitor. Odo is Kramer.

Move Along Home, coming to the CBS Block Party this Fall!

This is pretty good. And yea, Kira and Quark would make the perfect mismatched couple. Though I feel like Odo would be the landlord.

Astroman posted:

Benny Russell is a food critic for his local San Francisco paper. He has a great job, funny coworkers, and quirky neighbors. But he's also got dreams of being a writer, and has some crazy ideas for a story that he keeps dreaming about and trying to pitch to his boss at the paper to publish!

This is good too.

My idea was Sisko's!
Ben Sisko returns from his time in the Navy to help run his fathers Creole resturant in New Orleans after his father's heart attack. Ben and his Son Jake have to adjust to the wacky regulars, lazy staff and a food critic who wants nothing more than to shut him down.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

My idea was Sisko's!
Ben Sisko returns from his time in the Navy to help run his fathers Creole resturant in New Orleans after his father's heart attack. Ben and his Son Jake have to adjust to the wacky regulars, lazy staff and a food critic who wants nothing more than to shut him down.

Obviously Terry Farrell reprises her Becker role and becomes his main waitress.

Quark's is the friendly competition, and O'Brien is the clam delivery guy.

Bashir/Kira/Odo are the wacky regulars/lazy staff as needed. Featuring Gul Dukat as the food critic.

Someone get CBS on the phone.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 23, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WampaLord posted:

Obviously Terry Farrell reprises her Becker role and becomes his main waitress.

Quark's is the friendly competition, and O'Brien is the clam delivery guy.

Bashir/Kira/Odo are the wacky regulars/lazy staff as needed. Featuring Gul Dukat as the food critic.

Someone get CBS on the phone.

Well, I limited it to the cast photo, so Odo was the food critic, but Dukat would be better.

Quark owns Cajun resturant across the street with his wife Kira, Dax is the Hostess, Bashir is the head waiter, O'brien is the cook ('they thought I was crazy to hire and Irishmen as the chef, but he's the best Creole chef I've ever seen!"), Jake works as a waiter. Season 2 a TGIF style chain resturant opens up with Weyuon as its manager who's always try to get them shut down so he can expand. Also Rom comes from College to help his buddy Jake, Wynn is the health inspector that also has it out for Sisko.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
In the nerdiest thing I've done in years, I went to a stand up comedy show (Mint On Card) in a comic/collectibles shop (Blast From The Past, Burbank, CA) and before the show I found the below on the rack and shouted, "From The Deleted Scenes!!1!"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Boinks posted:

I thought I was the only one who loves Star Trek 5.

I'd rather watch 5 than 4 any day. I watch Star Trek for weird space poo poo and killing aliens pretending to be gods. 4 is good for what it is, but 5 captures the heart of Trek a lot better.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I dunno, considering that there were three episodes of TOS where the Enterprise went to 20th century Earth, I think The Voyage Home is entirely in spirit.

To pitch in, I definitely find 5 more enjoyable to watch than any of the TNG movies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno, considering that there were three episodes of TOS where the Enterprise went to 20th century Earth, I think The Voyage Home is entirely in spirit.

And that's not counting the massive amount of other episodes where they're on Not Earth Original Planet Do Not Steal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

And that's not counting the massive amount of other episodes where they're on Not Earth Original Planet Do Not Steal.

Wagon Train to the Studio Backlot

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Trek TNG show bible is pretty interesting to look at - casting Picard and Riker as "dual lead characters", which is reflected by the opening credits (Stewart and Frakes get "starring" while everyone else gets "also starring" and "with") but never quite panned out in practice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gene Roddenberry kept pitching a concept for the TOS movies where Kirk and company go back in time to stop the Kennedy assassination but it backfires and future is horrible now and they have to go back again and undo it so Spock shoots JFK from the grassy knoll. I know it would have been a horrible movie, and it's a good thing Gene was completely sidelined by this point, but drat if I wouldn't be curious to see that particular train wreck on the big screen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Powered Descent posted:

Gene Roddenberry kept pitching a concept for the TOS movies where Kirk and company go back in time to stop the Kennedy assassination but it backfires and future is horrible now and they have to go back again and undo it so Spock shoots JFK from the grassy knoll. I know it would have been a horrible movie, and it's a good thing Gene was completely sidelined by this point, but drat if I wouldn't be curious to see that particular train wreck on the big screen.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'd bet good money Nimoy would have straight-up refused to play Spock shooting JFK. At which point Gene Roddenberry gets huffy and says "fine, we don't need you, I'll just recast ~*The Vulcan Science Officer*~" and then I'm pretty sure even the bizzaro-verse Paramount studio execs who greenlit the script would have said "woah, wait a minute here."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wonder if he tried to get his JFK script into TNG?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Am I having a stroke or did someone eventually do that concept, but with Kennedy shooting himself from the grassy knoll?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Am I having a stroke or did someone eventually do that concept, but with Kennedy shooting himself from the grassy knoll?

That was the Red Dwarf episode, Tikka to Ride.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I liked it better when JFK's ancestor took the bullet for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlMeK8Ho9yI

Yes, that's Garak as JFK.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What episode is it from when Geordi says "I'm your friend and I'm not just stand around and let you do this" here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXvCSG4Ff60

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When Red Dwarf did it, it was the 90's. The 60's would have been Too Soon.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What episode is it from when Geordi says "I'm your friend and I'm not just stand around and let you do this" here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXvCSG4Ff60

Descent Part 1

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

In the nerdiest thing I've done in years, I went to a stand up comedy show (Mint On Card) in a comic/collectibles shop (Blast From The Past, Burbank, CA) and before the show I found the below on the rack and shouted, "From The Deleted Scenes!!1!"

Gear: Champagne bottle, engineering equipment. I really wish we could have seen the deleted scene of retired alcoholic Kirk performing drunken space repairs.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

To pitch in, I definitely find 5 more enjoyable to watch than any of the TNG movies.

Spirit of TOS maybe, but even I don't think everything about TOS is good.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Maybe this is heretical but I wouldn't mind seeing an elderly T'Pol on STD

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
There was an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam jumped into Lee Harvey Oswalt and eventually shot JFK. But it was okay, because at the end Al was like, oh, you fixed the past, because you didn't shoot Jackie this time around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MorgaineDax posted:

There was an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam jumped into Lee Harvey Oswalt and eventually shot JFK. But it was okay, because at the end Al was like, oh, you fixed the past, because you didn't shoot Jackie this time around.

Didn't he also leap out the second before he pulled the trigger? That way your hero didn't technically murder Kennedy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

He was also messed up and sorta thought he really was Oswald periodically. Not sure why, it's been years since I saw it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Gear: Champagne bottle, engineering equipment. I really wish we could have seen the deleted scene of retired alcoholic Kirk performing drunken space repairs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=REhmdOE5pT0

He was skydiving from orbit.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn't he also leap out the second before he pulled the trigger? That way your hero didn't technically murder Kennedy.

He jumped into the Secret Service agent at the last second and jumped on the car, saving Jackie.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

CPColin posted:

He jumped into the Secret Service agent at the last second and jumped on the car, saving Jackie.

Oh boy.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

MorgaineDax posted:

"Sam, you gotta kill JFK, Sam. You gotta pick up that gun and shoot the president."
"Aw jeez. I don't know Al."
"He's gotta die, Sam. If he doesn't die the-*belch*-en all sorts of bad stuff is gonna go down."
"Oh man."
"John F Kennedy, war hero, reformer, civil rights guy, you're gonna shoot him, Sam. And you're not gonna feel bad about it either."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Powered Descent posted:

That was going to be a sequel to 'City on the Edge of Forever' I think. Although I'm not so sure that was Roddenberry's idea. It may have been one of the other 10 or so potential film concepts that were bandied about in the decade between the end of TOS and TMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

vermin posted:

"Sam, you gotta kill JFK, Sam. You gotta pick up that gun and shoot the president."
"Aw jeez. I don't know Al."
"He's gotta die, Sam. If he doesn't die the-*belch*-en all sorts of bad stuff is gonna go down."
"Oh man."
"John F Kennedy, war hero, reformer, civil rights guy, you're gonna shoot him, Sam. And you're not gonna feel bad about it either."

"That baby's gonna kick like a virgin. You have to re-level quick. Go for the bastard's neck."
"Do I have to kill him?"
"Keep him up there, Ruby. I don't care if he wets himself and your head. That boy is gonna see somebody die. And if he doesn't want it to be Jackie Kennedy, he's got to pull that trigger."