Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Decrepus posted:

I picked Hyperlanes for myself and now I want to loving shoot myself.

I don't care what I play my endgame is jump or psi jump.

Fake edit: other than wormholes gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

e: Nah, I know better than that.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Jacque Pott posted:

I've just started modding in the last couple of days and made an attempt at removing ground combat: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=911546934

Instead of the whole "bombard fortifications to nothing, move in army, invade" rigamarole I put in an event to make the bombarder take control of the planet shortly after the fortifications hit 0. To balance this out, planet fortifications are quite a bit higher so the process takes about the same amount of time, but with much less hassle.

Anything I could find that gives armies, attachments, or army-specific bonuses have been replaced with other bonuses. Common things are -unrest to make up for the lack of army-based suppression and planet fortification / navy bonuses to replace the army's role in taking planets.

Like I said, this is my first time modding so feedback is very much appreciated!

Mod is good -- played a game with it.

Few things:
- unrest rebellions spawn armies that instaconquer the planet they're rebelling on
- how does bombard scale with fleet size? AI was flying single ships around and bombarding things

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris is a game that feels like it had several fairly radical re-designs as it went along, with entire core mechanics re-thought individually (perhaps by different people) without keeping their eye on the overall design. For instance the planet tile system was going to be a much more involved game of adjacency bonuses but after they implemented it they found it wasn't fun and the AI was absolute poo poo at managing it, so they just got rid of it being about adjacency bonuses but kept the tile system anyways. When a mechanic like that doesn't work out you go all the way back to the drawing board, but they didn't and the tile system is just a legacy from the adjacency based system, it wasn't designed from the ground up for the results we got. Tons of other mechanics in the game feel the same way, like the core design of how something works changed radically from initial design to release, but they just jury-rigged something together on top of the previous system's bones because there's release deadlines and budgets.

I think this is a problem that's always going to haunt stellaris and it's going to take a fortune of DLC to "fix". The initial core 4x design for the game was vastly underestimated and they've been stuck with a bunch of bad legacy "design bones" or what ever to work around. Stellaris isn't a bad game, I've sunk so many hours into it and will sink more, but it's very frustrating to see how it could have been such a vastly better game if they had only laid their foundations better.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

I think this is a problem that's always going to haunt stellaris and it's going to take a fortune of DLC to "fix".

I always imagine the Paradox offices as basically that "space man sweating while looking at two red buttons" meme with one button labelled "fix old DLC" and the other "sell new DLC".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I keep falling behind on tech compared to other civs. Any tips?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Planetary Survey Corps under the Discovery tradition branch is a real shot of steroids into your research muscles. And if you got some catching up to do it can't hurt to bully smaller but more advanced civs so you can loot their tech.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gobblecoque posted:

Planetary Survey Corps under the Discovery tradition branch is a real shot of steroids into your research muscles. And if you got some catching up to do it can't hurt to bully smaller but more advanced civs so you can loot their tech.

Yeah, PSC is the obvious one but it's not the only choice. Diligently scanning battle wrecks is indeed good.

Also remember that you are not obliged to only build labs on top of science tiles. Most of the time the +0 tiles all get shunted to unity and then surplus minerals/energy. But if you are behind on science just slap a bunch a labs on +0 land and stuff will go up. As a last step, try to have at least one big science world by a reasonable stage of the game, give a dedicated assist-research ship, and find it a +science governor.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I just started a new game and I've met 3 fanatical purifiers already. Two of them border each other. This should be good.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poil posted:

My guess would be because there is no set point where to build them and the game needs that before it can start construction. It might be possible to program it so the constructor travels to the system and plops one down right where it enters. Or giving every system a pre-determined spot for building but that might make things weird if multiple empires try and build up the same place. :shrug:

Sins of Solar Empire places the stations randomly so I don't see why paradox cant figure it out stardock can.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

first we had every game came with a day one patch, we are now entering the era where all games are early access
i would say that soon we'll be buying games before they even exist next, but kickstarter is already a thing

Star Citizen.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

That's next-level, it's not just buying a game that doesn't exist, it's buying .jpgs of ships that don't exist in a game that doesn't exist. Chris Roberts stands astride the industry like a colossus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

skooma512 posted:

Blow up their ships and steal their tech.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris is a game that feels like it had several fairly radical re-designs as it went along, with entire core mechanics re-thought individually (perhaps by different people) without keeping their eye on the overall design. For instance the planet tile system was going to be a much more involved game of adjacency bonuses but after they implemented it they found it wasn't fun and the AI was absolute poo poo at managing it, so they just got rid of it being about adjacency bonuses but kept the tile system anyways. When a mechanic like that doesn't work out you go all the way back to the drawing board, but they didn't and the tile system is just a legacy from the adjacency based system, it wasn't designed from the ground up for the results we got. Tons of other mechanics in the game feel the same way, like the core design of how something works changed radically from initial design to release, but they just jury-rigged something together on top of the previous system's bones because there's release deadlines and budgets.

I think this is a problem that's always going to haunt stellaris and it's going to take a fortune of DLC to "fix". The initial core 4x design for the game was vastly underestimated and they've been stuck with a bunch of bad legacy "design bones" or what ever to work around. Stellaris isn't a bad game, I've sunk so many hours into it and will sink more, but it's very frustrating to see how it could have been such a vastly better game if they had only laid their foundations better.

Stellaris II, 2020, who cares

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hate how trigger-happy the AI is on that emergency retreat button. I'm at war with a civ that has similar fleet strength to me but instead of fighting they've split their navy in two and sent them to raid my systems I guess and so when my fleet arrives he emergency retreats (and gets to do that before any actual fighting because he's technically in combat by getting stuck on mining stations). It's not even a useful strategy because every time the AI is eating a fat chunk of his own ship HP without my fleet taking any damage and all he accomplishes is maybe blowing up a starport and some mining stations.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Every time I think, "Why can't Stellaris do X with a mirror shine like Civilization?" I remember that this is a fun game that I've sunk a hundred+ hours into, and will sink another couple hundred hours into as the game mechanics become more refined and elaborate.

This game will dwarf itself a couple years from now, but it's still a fun ride in the meantime.

(But seriously, the unity trees need to become a binary, exclusionary choice rather than an eventuality. I shouldn't be forced to inevitably research "Domination" as a pacifist empire, and authoritarian slavers shouldn't be able to pursue "Unity.")

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 24, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

MadJackal posted:

Every time I think, "Why can't Stellaris do X with a mirror shine like Civilization?"

Is that what you think of Civ?

I think Baronjutter hit the nail on the head about the tile/adjacency in Stellaris. Is does feel like something that was once a big deal, but got largely thrown out probably because it was not fun and hobbled the AI. But credit where credit is due, at least Paradox realized the system sucked and got rid of it. The Civilization equivalent would be the 1 unit-per-tile system which is both micro hell and completely and utterly cripples the AI in warfare. Firaxis had to realize this, but they just said "gently caress it" and rolled that baby out.

There is a reason I'm playing and complaining about Stellaris whereas Civ is a dead franchise as far as I'm concerned. At least one of them can be saved.

Saved for the low low cost of $180 of DLC and six more years development

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Filthy Monkey posted:

There is another way to play? Killing is the one truth path!

Seriously though, killing. I see screenshots from too many people who have capped minerals and poo poo. It is like they are sitting around doing nothing. I don't understand it. If there are planets to expand to, then expand there. Get minerals, and sink those minerals into building a navy and army. Throw said navy and army into your neighbors, to get more planets and more minerals. Repeat until victory. It isn't hard at all to win by domination before the final ascensions, endgame crises, and megastructures become a thing.

People hold on to planets way too long too. Get the planet, strip away all the blockers (thanks mastery of nature!), once it hits size 5, upgrade the base. Queue up all your buildings at once, and then hand it over to a sector set to not redevelop. Done. Move on to the next planet. Beyond the early game, stop holding on to planets for longer than that. Aside from your capital, your core planet slots should really just be a developmental holding pen before you can push them into a sector.

Because 'fear and loathing', mostly.

I can only speak for myself. I'm sure you'll easily bypass most of it with 'the game's ABOUT war, idiot!'.

You don't want to deal with the happiness and unrest.

You're concerned that your tech and armies isn't sufficient to deal with the enemy(Especially given the AI over-builds for war, not fearing the consequences).

You don't want to deal with the tech penalties.

You're concerned you can't deal with them before you run out of resources.

You don't see those next to you as enemies to be destroyed. This is probably the biggest one.

Stellaris wasn't sold entirely on the Master Of Orion/Starcraft/Warcraft 'kill everything', even though in truth that's what it might be for the most part. Early war is certainly too expensive now with Death-ports. People are still asking for trade and more espionage. People are wanting expecting things to make war the huge, rare thing it is now. Or perhaps to see it another way: They see/expect Star Trek more than Star Wars.

I've only rarely been capped on Minerals. Energy's where that happens more often, because no one likes me enough to trade despite being all Spiritual and Pacifist. Finding the Trader Enclave is such a game changer. Teh Artisans are....not quite the same, because despite costing Energy, whey also have heavy Mineral costs. The Curators cost only energy, should they show up, which is also nice.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 24, 2017

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

The Civilization equivalent would be the 1 unit-per-tile system which is both micro hell and completely and utterly cripples the AI in warfare. Firaxis had to realize this, but they just said "gently caress it" and rolled that baby out.

I prefer micro hell to doomstacks. Micro hell means I can think my way out of overwhelming odds, and allows things like tactical nukes (which I distinctly remember deploying in a few games) to make a huge difference. I don't see this as a fault for them.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

There should be an option to disable WIH without having to disable the rest of Leviathans DLC because pretty much everything else in it is great. WIH was a cool concept and one that I looked forward to but its execution was about as bad as it could possibly have been.

While I agree with you at least this is easy to solve. Go neutral and when the war pops just console your warscore to 100 and force demands. It isn't perfect but it causes the Awakened Empire(s) to just vanish and everyone else to get reset back to 0. Except for the neutral league, so you want to not grow that. Alternatively if you want to leave one empire behind for fun just join one side, switch to the Awakened Empire you signed up with, and use the console again.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

I can dig it, will try when I get home. Did you remember to remove/replace the Shroud Avatar ground unit event?

Nope, completely forgot that. My bad! I'll have that fixed in the next update.

alcaras posted:

Mod is good -- played a game with it.

Few things:
- unrest rebellions spawn armies that instaconquer the planet they're rebelling on
- how does bombard scale with fleet size? AI was flying single ships around and bombarding things

Also forgot about unrest armies; another for the update.

As for bombardment the amount it reduces fortification by per day is the naval capacity of the bombarding fleet (with a cap of 200) multiplied by the strength of the current bombardment policy. I did up the damage per day of each policy (especially Full and Armageddon) so maybe that is the cause of the AI deciding small bombardment fleets would do the job. I hadn't noticed it in my own testing so I'll see if I can tweak it. I did also increase that cap to 300, for what its worth.

Next version should also have siege-breaker events for when the defenses have been lowered some but not yet fully depleted. I have ones specific to Xenophobes written and will at least have Xenophile and non-ethics-related options done. For a sample, Xeno- ones can only be done to planets with at least one pop that isn't the bombarding country's founding race. Xenophobes can try to terror bomb these foreign alien's homes if they allow Full/Armageddon bombardment, killing up to 3 such pops. The bombed planet loses a lot of happiness, the survivors are pushed towards Xenophobia and Pacifism, and the bombarder loses relations across the board. In exchange for this it has good chances to cause the planet to immediately capitulate, even better if the survivors are Pacifists or Xenophiles shocked at the cruelty but less if they have the Resilient trait.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MadJackal posted:

I prefer micro hell to doomstacks. Micro hell means I can think my way out of overwhelming odds, and allows things like tactical nukes (which I distinctly remember deploying in a few games) to make a huge difference. I don't see this as a fault for them.
The issue here is the level of micromanagement involved is simply not fun for the majority of players. In singleplayer, you have the AI shooting itself in the foot and in multiplayer you have nice long player turns as each player tries to perfect their unit deployments.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I dunno if it's something weird with my game, the bizarre side effect of a mod, or how it's intended to be, or just a bug, but FEs don't seem to give a poo poo about anyone but me. I have a xenophobic FE here that will declare war on my if I come anywhere near their space, and yet two other empires are openly settling more or less right next door, and they don't seem to care.

EDIT: If that's working as planned then that is the dumbest loving thing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

ProfessorCirno posted:

I dunno if it's something weird with my game, the bizarre side effect of a mod, or how it's intended to be, or just a bug, but FEs don't seem to give a poo poo about anyone but me. I have a xenophobic FE here that will declare war on my if I come anywhere near their space, and yet two other empires are openly settling more or less right next door, and they don't seem to care.

EDIT: If that's working as planned then that is the dumbest loving thing.

Defo unusual, I have a psychotic grandpa in my game too and he slammed another empire for getting too close over and over again.

Although now he seems to be okay with having said empire almost directly bubbled into his space? :confused: Maybe there's a point where the xenophobes get bored.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/856447919465127936

In 1.6 we'll be able to find and repair ruined megastructures. This will of course make the Cybrex chain even more godly, although I assume other precursors will get the other structures to compensate.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neurosis posted:

i'd spend long periods doing very little than upgrading surface buildings and waiting for tech to get done.
Stellaris.txt

But seriously, I find Hyperlanes good because I tend to have a couple of obvious choices with major trade-offs for each, compared to Warp where I just ooze outwards in an amorphous blob. I like games with "terrain".

Also, makes early game exploring way less micro intensive since it's more predictable which systems my ships will chain through.

e: Wiz a feature request for 1.6: Manually remove an order from a chain of orders (if it's already there somewhere just shoot me now)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 24, 2017

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Aethernet posted:

In 1.6 we'll be able to find and repair ruined megastructures. This will of course make the Cybrex chain even more godly, although I assume other precursors will get the other structures to compensate.

I could see the plague one having the observation station worked in too. Gotta monitor your subjects!

Ha ha! Double meanings!

To be fair, the cybrex might be too far gone to rebuild entirely.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
What I'd really like for 1.6 is to have plus and minus buttons next to ship types on the shipyard screen, so I can see how many corvettes I've ordered without having to count in my head or scroll down an interminably long list.

You know.

LIKE EUIV.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Turns out starting with a tomb world appears to instantly open communications with spiritual FE who get a fun -50 opinion of you for "desecrating" a tomb world. Good thing they are on the opposite side of the galaxy. :v:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I can only assume this is the hilarious result of like, several bugs colliding, but I currently have an entirely stable hive mind as part of my non-hive mind empire.

So, and a bunch of this is conjecture, I got a message saying that a bunch of refugees had moved in after they were being purged and executed by their horrible ruler. I double check and realize that, uh, they're a hive mind. So I look over and find out that the empire they fled from had just finished conquering them.

So my assumption here, right? Is that the hive-mind "dies in other empires" trait is configured through purging. Like, mechanically speaking, the way the game sets them all up to die is by using the same mechanic as purging. I dunno, I haven't played a hive-mind. So when they got conquered, they were set to be purged - which triggered my super lovey dovey egalitarian peacenik space elves (WITH THE GREATEST FLEET THE GALAXY HAS EVER SEEN), resettling them. At which point...nothing happened. Maybe because I can't purge, maybe refugees can't flock and immediately be purged, maybe hive minds aren't supposed to BE ABLE to refugee and the game lost it's ability to manage poo poo when that happened - I have no idea. Nobody died. I now have an entirely stable hive mind as one of my many imperial species.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In the Mapgoons Sunday Stellaris game I built a colony ship and while it was moving over i flipped the psychic switch on my empire. Now the planet they colonized consists of a bunch of latent psionics and regular old pops without the trait. Thankfully I was able to switch immigration controls off on the original species so they are at least confined but it's an annoying bug.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Filthy Monkey posted:

Moving huge late-game fleets with wormholes is torture too, due to the way the time scales with fleet size. I know you can split the fleet and send them separately, but again, more annoying micro. If you have extra wormhole stations, your fleet transport should be automatically paralleled to save time. In my opinion, there aren't enough advantages to warrant the downsides.
Wormholes are the dumbest thing, seriously. Wiz specifically called out how gating effectiveness behind "optional" micro is bad game design in a strategy game, and yet it's still a defining factor of one of the three starting movement techs.

Gobblecoque posted:

I find it funny as hell that you can't order constructors to build wormhole station from the galaxy map like you can research and mining stations. How is that still an issue almost a year past release lol

Poil posted:

My guess would be because there is no set point where to build them and the game needs that before it can start construction. It might be possible to program it so the constructor travels to the system and plops one down right where it enters. Or giving every system a pre-determined spot for building but that might make things weird if multiple empires try and build up the same place. :shrug:
Have two or three preferred slots, if they're all filled you have to go in manually. If there are habitable planets in the system they generate additional preferred slots as close to the planet as possible, and your right-click menu lists them as "Build Wormhole (planet name)"

I'd like something similar for defence stations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

Turns out starting with a tomb world appears to instantly open communications with spiritual FE who get a fun -50 opinion of you for "desecrating" a tomb world. Good thing they are on the opposite side of the galaxy. :v:
How dare you evolve on our precious monument to the folly of your progenitors :argh:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wormhole would be cooler if it weren't an FTL method like the others but as a late game option to build the stations, which would just be gates between different systems. Which might be a bit broken if not balanced in some way.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Wormhole would be cooler if it weren't an FTL method like the others but as a late game option to build the stations, which would just be gates between different systems. Which might be a bit broken if not balanced in some way.
Yeah, starting with warp or hyperlane your choice and later unlocking a (heavily reworked) wormhole system as a midgame would be good. Since it wouldn't need to be a viable primary travel system you sidestep the whole bunch of corner case issues, which opens up a whole rakeload of alternate implementations.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

How much has Utopia changed if I haven't played since vanilla

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
a lot but not enough

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

Yeah, starting with warp or hyperlane your choice and later unlocking a (heavily reworked) wormhole system as a midgame would be good. Since it wouldn't need to be a viable primary travel system you sidestep the whole bunch of corner case issues, which opens up a whole rakeload of alternate implementations.

My real ideal system would be for all FTL to start out as hyperlanes and then you get a mid-game tech that upgrades your drives to operate like hyperlane if there's a hyperlane between two systems, but like warp if there isn't. Warp-type transit would be much slower, but possible if there's no other route. Also there could be different speed levels of hyperlane so you could have a network with "main lines" and "branches."

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I'd like to see an unlockable tech that lets you build new hyperlanes (for a significant time & resource cost)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

My real ideal system would be for all FTL to start out as hyperlanes and then you get a mid-game tech that upgrades your drives to operate like hyperlane if there's a hyperlane between two systems, but like warp if there isn't. Warp-type transit would be much slower, but possible if there's no other route.
See, I get that some people like warp. I think they're crazy people, but I get it and would like them to have the option to start and only trying to balance two systems against each other is easier than three. Then you could research hybrid drives (and wormholes) midgame, and jump drives for the endgame.

GunnerJ posted:

Also there could be different speed levels of hyperlane so you could have a network with "main lines" and "branches."

ZekeNY posted:

I'd like to see an unlockable tech that lets you build new hyperlanes (for a significant time & resource cost)
I'd like to see both, but they're mutually exclusive and decided on galaxy generation. You get a purple or a project to research the origins of Hyperlanes, and if they're naturally occurring a bunch more are "found" and get unlocked/get speed ugrades, and if they're artificial you're given the ability to build your own.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 24, 2017

• Locked thread