Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
On page 666 of this thread I'm here to tell you that Lex Luthor is demonic. He uses blood magic and consorts with fallen angels.

edit: are you loving kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

On page 666 of this thread I'm here to tell you that Lex Luthor is demonic. He uses blood magic and consorts with fallen angels.

The best post in this thread.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Lex triumphs again!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I don't like the movie. You like the movie. Those are the sides.

Thanks for checking in.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
HHG2G was a film that attempted to adapt source material where most of the laughs were in the narration rather than the action or dialogue, and probably shouldn't have been made. I tried really, really hard to like it, but the mood in the theatre was one of baffled confusion, and if we're comparing audience reactions there was honestly more genuine belly laughter in the dumb opening credits gag in GOTG2 than in that entire film.

I recently watched the Star Wars Holiday Special for the first time, and I would honestly rather grab a beer and watch that with some mates than HHG2G because at least it's awful in a fascinating way.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Good jeorb, Chris Pratt. Just days after you say that modern Hollywood movies don't have enough stories about the average blue collar American worker like him, you say that you like DC movies but criticize Suicide Squad for introducing too many characters (that are mostly a bunch of multiracial social outcasts).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I think that's the best joke in all of suicide squad: they're the avengers, but they're poor, so they get thrown in prison and Nick Fury is their warden.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Was that a thing people pushed? Because like one of the things I sorta appreciated about Suicide Squad was that it didn't really dance around the fact that Deadshot and Harley were sociopathic serial killers and had no real moral qualms about it. Like, there's some vague "social status" stuff about Croc and Diablo but Diablo basically admits he's an evil killer from the get go and Croc likes eating people. And no one else even had a character.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The MSJ posted:

Good jeorb, Chris Pratt. Just days after you say that modern Hollywood movies don't have enough stories about the average blue collar American worker like him, you say that you like DC movies but criticize Suicide Squad for introducing too many characters (that are mostly a bunch of multiracial social outcasts).

Chris, my man... average white dudes are Hollywood's go-to protagonists. You've play a lot of them!

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Deadshot is poor?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Suicide Squad's problem wasn't that it had too many characters.

It was that it had too many boring/pointless characters. The movie just accepts it from the get-go and focuses 90% of the attention on Harley and Deadshot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Equeen posted:

Chris, my man... average white dudes are Hollywood's go-to protagonists. You've play a lot of them!

I think it's funnier that Chris Pratt still thinks he's blue collar worker too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I rewatched it recently and its not really that they don't have time for the other characters. They just clearly don't care about anyone besides Deadshot and Harley. Diablo, Moon/Enchantress, Flag, and Waller get a little but they don't even pretend to care about the other characters. I mean, that one guy who doesn't even get an introduction is just some kind of meta hilarious.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I rewatched it recently and its not really that they don't have time for the other characters. They just clearly don't care about anyone besides Deadshot and Harley. Diablo, Moon/Enchantress, Flag, and Waller get a little but they don't even pretend to care about the other characters. I mean, that one guy who doesn't even get an introduction is just some kind of meta hilarious.

The failing is that they don't even give him an introduction. If they'd done the same individualized title card and "slick" theme music as everyone else it at least makes an effort to feint not killing the dude.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

thrawn527 posted:

It's me searching for what Lex actually wants, because to me it's unclear.

To me, it's not that he wants to kill Superman specifically. He wants to kill the idea of a benevolent God. And Superman is a benevolent God. His plan either has Batman kill Superman, proving he's not God, or Superman kill Batman, proving he's not benevolent.

The important thing and confusing thing to remember about the whole Zod and ship gambit Lex plays is that it's a completely separate plan from his Batman v Superman plan and is only tangentially related to it. It's just a plan B he's been going after. Nothing in Plan A(Batman v Superman) relies on anything in Plan B happening. It feels tacked on, and it kinda is just cause you need something for Batman and Superman to fight together.

The narrative link there is the weakest thing in the film in my opinion, but the actual climax it results in is pretty good.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Equeen posted:

That was a bizarre comment for sure. I looked it up and at least he admitted it:
https://twitter.com/prattprattpratt/status/855548735002099712

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jimbot posted:

Care to elaborate any? I know nothing of the character and watching that clip it at least looked pretty interesting.

I just like superheroes being superheroes. Stuff like that or Sandman or any deconstruction of the tropes really don't interest me at all. The show may be fantastic, but it's just not for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just like superheroes being superheroes. Stuff like that or Sandman or any deconstruction of the tropes really don't interest me at all. The show may be fantastic, but it's just not for me.

Legion isn't a "superhero show" but it isn't really a "deconstruction" either.

Its a psychological drama/horror and character piece about people with mental illness... and super powers.

That certainly might not be your thing but it really has very little to do with "super heroes" one way or another. So just make your decision on whether the idea of the show it actually is appeals to you. But it has more in common with Hannibal or Mr. Robot than Daredevil or Flash.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 25, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never had a problem with BvS Lex. I thought his motivations seemed pretty clear. He is threatened by someone stronger than him. Money can buy you anything...except this all-powerful alien. Lex could spend the rest of his life climbing the social ladder, maybe cause some global catastrophe to make everyone on Earth vote him Supreme Dictator. But he'd still be below Superman. He couldn't allow that.

Reminds me of the talk in the Libertarian thread about BvS. I don't think Bruce there was a Libertarian but Lex certainly was.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 25, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lex was a smug host of an atheism podcast.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

parallelodad posted:

So definitely a libertarian. I just got the Ultimate Edition of beavis from the library, curious to see how it compares to the theatrical.

Anyways, Guardians was really fun in a saturday morning cartoon kinda way. Like an episode of xmen where they defeat phoenix by telling her how much jean means to them or whatever. Holding hands and singing pop songs to banish the bad feelings!

Outdone on every level by Suicide Squad, no contest, but it's decent and I'm looking forward to seeing vol 2 even though the trailers have been pretty meh.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

parallelodad posted:

I've said this before but Cavill's Superman 100% has a podcast about the history of journalism that maybe 20 people listen to tops

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Drifter posted:

It was inferred that Dr Strange spent an awful lot of time studying in the Astral Plane, which slowed down time by a factor of a thousand+. He was also there for Many months, people time, according to his Dr. ex-girlfriend.

So was everyone else, who had a significant headstart on him, yet he ends up the best at it.

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, you pretty much admitted that HHGttG's characters are bland and whatnot, so you might pretty please try not to be in insufferably smug douchebag about it's superiority. It has some shots that are nicer than some shots from GotG, we get it.

Can you find any shots in Guardians that are better than roughly equivalent shots in Hitchhikers?

porfiria posted:

Who cares if it looks pretty?

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a rhetorical question. Because the question 'who cares if a primarily visual medium looks good' actually has an answer.

Drifter posted:

Of course, everyone who says Suicide Squad fuckign sucks, with the exception of maybe 14 minutes, is absolutely correct. What an utter disappointment and waste of a concept, overall.

The saddest part of Suicide Squad is that even the recruitment scenes are dull. The one bit of ensemble films that's pretty much always fun or at least memorable, was dull as poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

Can you find any shots in Guardians that are better than roughly equivalent shots in Hitchhikers?

No. Does that in any way change the fact that BravestoftheLamps is a pain in the rear end?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ungulateman posted:

I think that's the best joke in all of suicide squad: they're the avengers, but they're poor, so they get thrown in prison and Nick Fury is their warden.

The best joke in Suicide Squad is that Deadshot's story begins and ends on the same shot of him hitting a punching bag, except at the start of the film he's on the left side of the frame, and at the end he's on the right side of the frame.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Drifter posted:

b-but he didn't actually TELL people he did any of those. :colbert:

Baron Zemo managed to get a lot of poo poo done during Civil War, too. Freakishly and odds-breakingly specific things, if I remember correctly, no? And by the way, what a fuckin' disappointment of a character - I don't think he wore that awesome mask and uniform at ALL.

Don't worry there's still a chance for him to get a purple longshoreman's cap super glued permanently to his head in BLACK PANTHER.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

NikkolasKing posted:

Is the MCU really unpopular here? I get that impression but I don't follow this thread too often.

I sometimes get annoyed at how overrated they are. They overshadow films like The Crow or Sin City, which were also based on comic books and were really good but nobody really talks about them anymore because RDJ made a pithy one-liner woo.

The MCU is so unpopular and inoffensive that it makes people defend Zack Snyder.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I may be assuming things, but I don't think HGttG was subject to the same scrutiny and support by Disney as Marvel movies.

Well of course it wasn't, the scrutiny-dispersal machines they had back then weren't nearly as efficient as the ones we have now.

I've got a bunch of friends who are diehard scifi fans that I met via a Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy fan club back in the 90s and they got incredibly excited over the 2005 film, arranging early screenings with the distributors and going into competitions to get the official H2G2 merchandise towels and all that. You can bet they subjected the film to intense scrutiny across various LiveJournal groups and GeoCities webrings.

Edit: ah, misunderstood what you posted

parallelodad posted:

HHG2G is a Disney film, actually. Buena Vista specifically, but definitely Disney.

People were bitching about Disney's involvement in the film back in 1998

quote:

– 6 January 98 : Disney says yes

After an eighteen months long negotiation, Disney buys the movie rights. Douglas and Robbie are executive producers. Jay Roach will direct the movie. Douglas gets quickly upset by worries from the fans who think that Disney will just produce a marketing movie : “There’s a lot of misunderstandings about the fact that it this is going to be a Disney movie. Disney is a huge media empire and it doesn’t just make Walt Disney pictures. Yes it made Bambi (first movie I ever saw), but it also made Pulp Fiction… The actual production company is Caravan, an independent company closely allied with Disney. “
http://douglasadams.eu/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-movie-2005/

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 25, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowman_McK posted:

So was everyone else, who had a significant headstart on him, yet he ends up the best at it.

The saddest part of Suicide Squad is that even the recruitment scenes are dull. The one bit of ensemble films that's pretty much always fun or at least memorable, was dull as poo poo.

He ends up "best" because it's his story and he's also an outlaw who plays by his own rules, therefore he's better than anyone who follows the rule.

Also, I still remember the feeling of disgust I had when the "character music" just shat out like 16 seconds of horribly edited-in radio songs when each character was introduced,

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Grendels Dad posted:

No. Does that in any way change the fact that BravestoftheLamps is a pain in the rear end?

pfft, that's just an opinion, man, not a "fact"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

This is exactly the post BvS deserves.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Did you notice how nobody has actually managed to praise the film's cinematic qualities?

It's telling that no one defends it on the basis of action sequences, special effects, or stuff like that. The appeals to superior performances, scripting, and audience reception does indicate that GotG is not a good film - all the things that make it good are apparently nothing inherent to it being a film, like direction or visual design.

One gets the impression that it could be a television series without any change in quality. Groot would have to be a guy in a costume, while Rocket would be played a little person. The Sakaarans would be wearing prosthetic masks, and all the other characters would stay exactly the same.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 25, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

It's telling that no one defends it on the basis of action sequences, special effects, or stuff like that. The appeals to superior performances, scripting, and audience reception does indicate that GotG is not a good film - all the things that make it good are apparently nothing inherent to it being a film, like direction or visual design.

One gets the impression that it could be a television series without any change in quality. Groot would have to be a guy in a costume, while Rocket would be played a little person. The Sakaarans would be wearing prosthetic masks, and all the other characters would stay exactly the same.

Performances and scripting are, in fact, elements of movies.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

porfiria posted:

Performances and scripting are, in fact, elements of movies.

What about GotG's performances and scripting is particularly cinematic?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Quill's vibrant vision when he relates Gamora's request back to his dead mother's last words is pretty cinematic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

To flip this argument, it's pretty silly in this day and age to imply that TV shows are necessarily lesser than cinema in terms on direction or visual design or that they can't be filmed with cinematic flair.

Here's a podcast interview with one of the cinematographers on Breaking Bad where they discuss this exact thing:
http://www.theasc.com/site/podcasts/breaking-bad-michael-slovis-asc-pt-1/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

What about GotG's performances and scripting is particularly cinematic?

How do you define "cinematic" after realism or indie movements, though?

The argument that GotG is more suited to a TV series isn't the way that it's shot, it's that it'd work better episodically. Given how Vol. 2 reduces the depth of the characters to a mere puddle in exchange for jokes doesn't make me believe that I'd stick with them for a 12 hour-long-episode series. 2 hours gets me more than enough of those characters, and evidently so do Disney/Marvel given how neatly it wraps it all up in a bow.

It's not whether it's cinematic or not, it's whether it's quality. Vol. 2 has pretty decent jokes and action beats but really, really falls down on character development.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
"It's shot like TV" is pretty much just meaningless meme-speak for "I don't like it". It's, again, trying to put forward a subjective opinion as objective fact.

My subjective opinion is that the visuals and action sequences in Guardians of the Galaxy are all very good. They are shot like very good television, which is better than movies that are shot like bad television, but not as good as movies that are shot like excellent television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Just finished Guardians 2. The rollercoaster analogy hits the nail super hard, but it is still worth every penny. So many visual sequences in the film stand out as strikingly beautiful and trying to explain them to someone is robbing them of the experience.

Kurt Russel's beard deserves an academy award.

• Locked thread