Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Since when ARE there seats in the Tardis, anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Myfm2pqZQ

Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are chairs on the TARDIS just in case a Sontaran ever gets inside.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Thinking about it for a minute, it's pretty obvious why the Doctor stands to operate the Tardis - he's one dude operating a machine that's supposed to be run by six, so he needs to stand so he can run around the various consoles. And the Tardis configures itself to suit those needs.

Which makes me wonder if there were Tardises out there with a seat for each console. Or even a purpose-built one-man Tardis where instead of the central column you have a swivel chair that can reach everything. Or...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Paul.Power posted:

Thinking about it for a minute, it's pretty obvious why the Doctor stands to operate the Tardis - he's one dude operating a machine that's supposed to be run by six, so he needs to stand so he can run around the various consoles. And the Tardis configures itself to suit those needs.

Which makes me wonder if there were Tardises out there with a seat for each console. Or even a purpose-built one-man Tardis where instead of the central column you have a swivel chair that can reach everything. Or...

Somewhere there's a TARDIS that operates like Davros' head-in-a-tube from Revelation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

All the other TARDISes actually just used that web thing the Master made and had their own personal Adric from some other parallel Universe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They may not have been ultimately responsible, but they certainly were in a direct sense. By the end it starts to feel a bit iffy, because the Doctor is insisting that they be treated as the rightful inhabitants of the city and offering to negotiate on their behalf.

The Vardi aren't the rightful inhabitants of the city; they are the city. Without the Vardi the colonists are left with a spaceship and a wheat field. Oh, and just one wheat harvest, because without the Vardi there is no way to pollinate the wheat on this bee-less planet.

The Vardi don't need to kill them, they can just fly away and most of the colonists will be dead within a couple years. At best they might be able to scratch out a primitive existance as substance algae farmers, a single mishap from disaster and starvation.

The Vardi killed some folks, but if the rest of the humans want to live they are just going to have to get over it. :shrug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
British ratings have come in for The Pilot, and they're higher than anything from series 9 (not counting the Christmas specials)!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

And then the actual indigenous species pops out from underground and kills the robots and the humans would be an interesting conclusion maybe.

Although I dunno what's keeping the Vardi on the planet if they're not specifically helping the humans any more. I have this picture in my head where they decide to go on holiday and the humans freeze to death in the meantime.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CobiWann posted:

Now I'm seeing Six give the "Physics" speech from School Reunion and I didn't know how badly I want someone to ask Colin to read it at a convention.

Don't worry, we have this to tide us over https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhjujJQSMos

More importantly, why is this class making their assignment so strangely specific as: "pick something from Doctor Who or Glee and recreate it".

Asking the important questions here.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

all-Rush mixtape posted:

British ratings have come in for The Pilot, and they're higher than anything from series 9 (not counting the Christmas specials)!

Well that's good, it's always nice when good episodes get good ratings :)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I've not consistently enjoyed Who (as in: been eager to rewatch entire seasons in order rather than picking and choosing the one or two watchable episodes) since the end of Matt Smith's second season (MS3 was utterly forgettable and dull apart from an amazing 50th anniversary episode, PC1 was largely forgettable with one or two highpoints, PC2 was middling to awful with a single exception being the penultimate episode which was the best of the revival, and probably overall represents the nadir of the show for me (every time Capaldi took out that loving guitar I cringed, and the episode where he's fighting monsters made of eye crusts made me shut off the TV mid-episode with no desire to see any more of it for the first time since I started watching the show with Tom Baker in the '80's ).

Capaldi has post-Goldeneye Pierce Brosnan syndrome in that he is a great choice for the role, but has been hamstrung by awful scripts and supporting cast. I'm really hoping that this season represents a turnaround, and it's been holding up so far.

The Venn Diagram of Clara's presence and the show's decline being close to a circle might be correlation rather than causation, but I'm glad she's dead.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

All the other TARDISes actually just used that web thing the Master made and had their own personal Adric from some other parallel Universe.

The Boner Dimension

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Breetai posted:

the episode where he's fighting monsters made of eye crusts made me shut off the TV mid-episode with no desire to see any more of it

That was a truly bad episode, but it was just Gatiss scooping in for a horror sub-genre (found footage, how timely) and missing so hard that he scooped out the eye gunk at the bottom of the barrel. The twist ending is also bad. He tends to have one or two a season, and sometimes they're goofy fun, and sometimes they're the found footage eye booger monsters episode that (in story) leans on a creepy song so much , it breaks the record and falls flat on its face.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Paul.Power posted:

I think it's non-canon but one of the fictional works says the TARDISes in common native configuration screw with dimensional space so much that non-Time Lords can't comprehend it.

I don't buy it but I can deffo see a Time Lord telling someone that (and then leaving it as a single room tube)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Breetai posted:

The Venn Diagram of Clara's presence and the show's decline being close to a circle might be correlation rather than causation, but I'm glad she's dead.

Hey guess what: Clara owns, she's immortal, she has her own tardis, eat turds forever

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

Hey guess what: Clara owns, she's immortal, she has her own tardis, eat turds forever

Functionally immortal. I mean, someone else could timewarp her back to the moment of her death and kill her. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: Actually this raises an interesting point, she's just living between heartbeats. What happens if she sustains a fatal wound? Does it just not do anything? Does she heal it immediately? Does she die somewhere else and time collapses in on itself? :iiam:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Functionally immortal. I mean, someone else could timewarp her back to the moment of her death and kill her. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: Actually this raises an interesting point, she's just living between heartbeats. What happens if she sustains a fatal wound? Does it just not do anything? Does she heal it immediately? Does she die somewhere else and time collapses in on itself? :iiam:

Maybe she a Torchwood style zombie now, like Owen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Find out on Big Finish, whenever Jenna Coleman has a break in her career to drop in with Nick Briggs and do a recording or two.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bicyclops posted:

Find out on Big Finish, whenever Jenna Coleman has a break in her career to drop in with Nick Briggs and do a recording or two.

That reminds me, was her Queen Victoria show any good?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Listening to a recent Tom adventure "The Silent Scream". It guest stars Pamela Salem, who worked with Tom on "The Robots of Death." Tom revealed this interesting tidbit:

He actually knew her husband before he knew her. They used to workout at the gym together.

What? That doesn't sound like Tom!

And afterwards, they'd go to the club for drinks.

Okay, that sounds like Tom

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

I'm looking forward to the next season of that show's time-travelling crossover with The Crown as part of the ITV and Netflix's new shared universe, the Windsorverse.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Bicyclops posted:

I really disagree with this. I think they're taking their time to let us know her instead of just defining her as "The Girl Who [Whatever]." She's of university age and works at a university without attending, and she seems to have some idealist sensibilities about higher education. She compares things to the student union as if that were some kind of utopia. She never knew her mom, she falls fast for people, and seems extremely eager to expand her horizons and have genuine experiences. Her methods of questioning the Doctor are all curiosity-induced questions rather than questions that come out of fear, which is very different from most companions, who tend to get nervous somewhere around the second episode about the whole thing.

They don't have to shove a personality down our throat. She's a young woman who aspires to be a student, but feels she has lacked opportunity.

I just don't feel she reacts very realistically, she has one emotion in the story pretty much. I'm fairly certain she's not the first companion that isn't terrified.

Her backstory is not really interesting or cliche at all. I did like how she wasn't actually a uni student, she just snook in, and that the Doctor liked that. I think she could be a really great companion if she had better writing, but there's just reacting to everything very uniformly. Maybe, I hope, I'll be proved wrong, and she gets into some real conundrums later on that lets us see deeper into her and find something interesting. Right now I just feel regret after having watched an entire episode of a bad Doctor Who. Hopefully they have some interesting conflict later.

I don't mind if it's silly and not ground-breaking, I just feel like they're repeating a tired formulae that's slowly degrading.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Megaspel posted:

I just don't feel she reacts very realistically, she has one emotion in the story pretty much. I'm fairly certain she's not the first companion that isn't terrified.

Her backstory is not really interesting or cliche at all. I did like how she wasn't actually a uni student, she just snook in, and that the Doctor liked that. I think she could be a really great companion if she had better writing, but there's just reacting to everything very uniformly. Maybe, I hope, I'll be proved wrong, and she gets into some real conundrums later on that lets us see deeper into her and find something interesting. Right now I just feel regret after having watched an entire episode of a bad Doctor Who. Hopefully they have some interesting conflict later.

I don't mind if it's silly and not ground-breaking, I just feel like they're repeating a tired formulae that's slowly degrading.

She was terrified

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

howe_sam posted:

It's not my cup of tea, but it is very pretty. The show also has Eve Myles in it in a supporting role, which I didn't know ahead of time.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

CommonShore posted:

She was terrified

Eh, sorta? Not really.

I think if the next couple of episodes don't improve I'm just gonna quietly duck out without raising a ruckus in here or anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm looking forward to the next season of that show's time-travelling crossover with The Crown as part of the ITV and Netflix's new shared universe, the Windsorverse.

Just as an aside, The Crown was absolutely fantastic and Matt Smith is really loving good in it (Claire Foy is loving amazing though)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Breetai posted:

(every time Capaldi took out that loving guitar I cringed, and the episode where he's fighting monsters made of eye crusts made me shut off the TV mid-episode with no desire to see any more of it for the first time since I started watching the show with Tom Baker in the '80's ).

gently caress you and anybody who cringes when 12 pulls out his guitar.

I want a multi Doctor episode where 12 meets 2 and they have a jam session.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

AndyElusive posted:

gently caress you and anybody who cringes when 12 pulls out his guitar.

I want a multi Doctor episode where 12 meets 2 and they have a jam session.

Aren't we forgetting someone?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"I hate whimsy when it's forced!" is one of those arguments that Doctor Who, more than most shows, makes apparent is a taste thing. I like the guitar and while I'm not exactly the biggest fan of the spoon in the Robin Hood episode, the absolute, intense, focused bile when it came to that single moment was wayyyyyyyy over the top.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It'd be like if any time Four said "Would you like a jellybaby?" somebody through their remote on the floor and said "That's it! I'm done with Douglas Adams and his farcical, jokey nonsense!"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

After The War posted:

Aren't we forgetting someone?

Just as 12 is tuning his axe and 2 is about to press the recorder to his lips there comes a sudden rythmic purcussion of spoons.

"Not interrupting anything, am I?"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm hoping we get a Doctor that's also a DJ by 2040.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seven is clacking his spoons, Two is playing the recorder, Twelve is jamming out on the guitar, and all of a sudden Six comes in with an accordion and a lecture as to why it's infinitely superior, until the rest of them rough him up, and toss him back into his TARDIS, where he hits his head.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

Just as an aside, The Crown was absolutely fantastic and Matt Smith is really loving good in it (Claire Foy is loving amazing though)

I'm sad that next season is the last one for Foy and Smith,

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Seven is clacking his spoons, Two is playing the recorder, Twelve is jamming out on the guitar, and all of a sudden Six comes in with an accordion and a lecture as to why it's infinitely superior, until the rest of them rough him up, and toss him back into his TARDIS, where he hits his head.

Out comes Seven 2 with another set of spoons

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

Huh. Until you said this, I never realized I wanted a story where one Doctor causes another's regeneration.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm hoping we get a Doctor that's also a DJ by 2040.

1 was a DJ. It just never came up in the show.

All he needs is headphones.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Facebook Aunt posted:

1 was a DJ. It just never came up in the show.

All he needs is headphones.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

howe_sam posted:

I'm sad that next season is the last one for Foy and Smith,

I thought they might be able to make it through 3 seasons but the 1 season = 1 decade thing meant that was going to be unlikely. It's a drat shame, and I hope the show can survive the jump to entirely new actors in the main role (ironic considering the thread this is being posted in!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Doctor 1 would be the stern keyboardist, like Ron Mael in Sparks.

Surely Six would be the frontman. He has the flamboyance and as much as I like him, he does love the sound of his own voice!

• Locked thread