Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's implied to be gone but they've never actually said it directly, so it could potentially come back if they wanted to do something with it

they should do what they did with ultimate peter parker and bring it back so they can kill it again a couple months later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's up to Franklin.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Pureauthor posted:

So I guess we don't know the status of the actual Ultimate Universe, do we?

official Ultimate Universe status seems to be "it went kaboom but I guess if we decided we wanted it back we could have Franklin rebuild it."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's up to Franklin.

And he is bad at his job so don't get your hopes up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Ultimates universe married its sister and was then eaten alive by a product of a government experiment.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wanderer posted:

The thing is that Nazis, racists, and general fascists are very good at finding symbols, even if they have to warp the original work's meaning beyond recognition.

It's basically their whole modus operandi. The Fasces were used as symbol for the French Republicans during the French Revolution. The Swastika was (and is) a symbol of luck in Hinduism and Buddhism. The black-red-white of the old German war flag was the symbol of the Republican German Revolution of 1848. Them using Cap is not really anything at the level of making a luck symbol of the religion of a billion people into the definite symbol of hate.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Pureauthor posted:

So I guess we don't know the status of the actual Ultimate Universe, do we?

I swear I remember a splash page or preview page with the Maker/Ultimate Richards realizing that there are multiversal counterparts to himself and he specifically wants to find the 'Ultimate' universe that would be ideal for him or something.

I want to say it was in that Avengers book before USAvengers, that introduced Bobby De Costa running AIM and his own Avengers team.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Decius posted:

It's basically their whole modus operandi. The Fasces were used as symbol for the French Republicans during the French Revolution. The Swastika was (and is) a symbol of luck in Hinduism and Buddhism. The black-red-white of the old German war flag was the symbol of the Republican German Revolution of 1848. Them using Cap is not really anything at the level of making a luck symbol of the religion of a billion people into the definite symbol of hate.

It's still appropriating a character created by two Jewish creators to be explicitly anti-fascist and turning him into a symbol of fascism. Marvel should not be helping them in this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's still appropriating a character created by two Jewish creators to be explicitly anti-fascist and turning him into a symbol of fascism. Marvel should not be helping them in this.

Mate, trust me they've been doing that for far longer than this. Long is the list of atrocities of Nazi's, taking Captain America as a symbol due to a recent dumb event comic is... very low on it. Mind you, I'm not defending Secret Empire, Quite frankly I find the entire thing to be schlock. The fact that Stormfront is using Captain America on their front banner is no different to them using the Washington Post or Pewdiepie. Both things they have actually done.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Onmi posted:

Mate, trust me they've been doing that for far longer than this. Long is the list of atrocities of Nazi's, taking Captain America as a symbol due to a recent dumb event comic is... very low on it. Mind you, I'm not defending Secret Empire, Quite frankly I find the entire thing to be schlock. The fact that Stormfront is using Captain America on their front banner is no different to them using the Washington Post or Pewdiepie. Both things they have actually done.

Funnily enough, I do in fact recognise that in the grand scheme of things, this is probably one of the least-worst things Nazis have done. Helping them do so, even unintentionally, however, is one of the worst (or at very least dumbest) things Marvel has done.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
in other news, Hulk and Infamous Iron Man continue to be super good :)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I skipped over a bunch of pages. Are we still bitching about nazis or is it finally safe to start talking about Spider-Man again?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remember that time Spider-man fought a nazi made of bees?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There is a Spider-Man thread if you want a safe space to talk about Spider-Man in.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I hope when this is all over, Marvel goes super-meta and says "oh nooo you guys, our office was totally taken over by Hydra and they forced us to print a bunch of Pro-Hydra comics, but everything's okay now".
I like the idea that Hydra's so good at infiltration that one of the Heroes has been a Hydra agent for years. If this was done by somebody competent, and the hero in question wasn't Captain America, this would probably be exactly my cup of tea.

Okay they probably would have made it Tony, which I would have been actually mad about.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I kinda missed Civil War II (stopped reading for a while), anyone got a good resource on important fallout from it or meaningful recap (or even the suggestion that its worth reading?)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Cerepol posted:

I kinda missed Civil War II (stopped reading for a while), anyone got a good resource on important fallout from it or meaningful recap (or even the suggestion that its worth reading?)

For some reason, Carol Danvers became the worlds most beloved hero despite the poo poo she pulled. Vision blew up Star-Lords ship trapping the Guardians of the Galaxy on Earth for a few months. Tony Stark "died." THe kid heroes quit the Avengers to form the Champions.

Those seem to be the bigger ones.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't read civil war 2, it's not very good

silversupernova covered the big stuff, but I'll add to the tony stark thing by saying there are now two people running around with iron man suits: riri williams (invincible iron man; she goes by ironheart) and victor von doom (infamous iron man)

e: o and war machine is dead. the hulk died but I think he got brought back already? or that may have been a temp thing because she hulk has the main hulk book now

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 26, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would have been much better if original Nick Fury had been a secret HYDRA agent all along because HYDRA are much better Nick Fury villains than Captain America villains.

Him admitting it could have been what made Thor become unworthy.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

tbf this whole thing is sounds a bit similar to Secret Warriors.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So, having read the new issue of The Ultimates˛, I feel I can safely say there's a really easy out built into that as to how this poo poo happened.

So, the big villain of the arc, the First Firmament, literally the original universe the others split off from, explains that he sent his cosmically powerful individuals to manipulate and weaken Eternity and ultimately destroy it from within. And the examples we see are Rodstvow, who was literally one of The First Firmament's Dark Celestials in disguise, and then Master Order, infecting him with the idea that eventually lead to it, Lord Chaos, and The In-Betweener being combined and forming Logos, the Celestials all getting killed (except for one) and also the big Dark Celestial that showed up for seemingly no reason during Civil War 2.

And we've seen that this person who's basically the one guiding Cap apparently has some dark history dealing with beings from outside of this universe, and if you wanted to destabilize the superhero community you'd gently caress up the most well-regarded and well-respected figure there...

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

don't read civil war 2, it's not very good

silversupernova covered the big stuff, but I'll add to the tony stark thing by saying there are now two people running around with iron man suits: riri williams (invincible iron man; she goes by ironheart) and victor von doom (infamous iron man)

e: o and war machine is dead. the hulk died but I think he got brought back already? or that may have been a temp thing because she hulk has the main hulk book now

What?!

How did that come about. Ah well good to know nothing groundbreaking. Any good arcs/series that started around then I should look into?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the groundwork for iron doom is laid in invincible iron man leading up to tony's coma. both post tony iron man books are good, actually

also look into us avengers (and the new avengers run that led into it if you haven't read that yet) and unstoppable wasp imo. skip the other events that've happened since civil war 2 (inhumans vs xmen and monsters unleashed)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cerepol posted:

What?!

How did that come about. Ah well good to know nothing groundbreaking. Any good arcs/series that started around then I should look into?

Doom's face was restored at the end of Secret Wars, and he sorta starts to become a good guy in Invincible Iron Man, wanting to make up for past sins, helping Tony out with some magic related stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, Doom's turn to being a hero is great. And I'd say it's Secret Wars that set that up, really.

Doom had to admit Reed would have been better with the power he gained, and Reed gets those powers. So what's one of the things Reed does? He fixes Victor's face.

So it seems like this leads to Doom realizing he has been something of a poo poo at times and trying to make up for it by being a hero, which he's not good at but is genuinely trying his best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new Infamous Iron Man has a wonderful moment between Doom and Ben and I'm terrified that Marvel will revert Doom to a bad guy way too soon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's been great so far and I'm really glad that they're setting up the maker as iron doom's bad guy because nothing could possibly be more perfect than that

I hope doom gets to stay like this for a long time (at least let him be like magneto or something), but he'll probably turn out to be a life model decoy or hypnotized by hydra or some other thing before the year is out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

So, having read the new issue of The Ultimates˛, I feel I can safely say there's a really easy out built into that as to how this poo poo happened.

So, the big villain of the arc, the First Firmament, literally the original universe the others split off from, explains that he sent his cosmically powerful individuals to manipulate and weaken Eternity and ultimately destroy it from within. And the examples we see are Rodstvow, who was literally one of The First Firmament's Dark Celestials in disguise, and then Master Order, infecting him with the idea that eventually lead to it, Lord Chaos, and The In-Betweener being combined and forming Logos, the Celestials all getting killed (except for one) and also the big Dark Celestial that showed up for seemingly no reason during Civil War 2.

And we've seen that this person who's basically the one guiding Cap apparently has some dark history dealing with beings from outside of this universe, and if you wanted to destabilize the superhero community you'd gently caress up the most well-regarded and well-respected figure there...

loving Dr. Manhattan.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I kind of used Secret Wars as a jumping off point for Marvel (money concerns) so I'm out of the loop. I saw something on Google earlier about yet another line-wide reboot or whatever and the original numbering being brought back..?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Was anybody else brave enough to pick up Scarlet Spider? I did and it was actually pretty good.

Feels vaguely like Samurai Jack S5 with how Ben is hallucinating his old self.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone was selling ~110 marvel graphic novels on Kijiji for $250 canadian. I now own a lot of marvel graphic novels. The selection is incredibly random, but it's fun to go through and pick out random stories from the last thirty years. Stuff like Spiderman and Silver Sable, weird Avengers stories I hadn't heard of, and a whole lot of Thunderbolts. Plus the entire Peter David Hulk run (which I actually own in floppy, but whatever, this is easier to read).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Hippo posted:

I kind of used Secret Wars as a jumping off point for Marvel (money concerns) so I'm out of the loop. I saw something on Google earlier about yet another line-wide reboot or whatever and the original numbering being brought back..?

There were several new books that got relaunched at number 1 right after Secret Wars. Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel has had 3 number ones, Howard the Duck got a new number 1 after five issues without any change in creative team or direction of the comic.

Maybe your talking about Heroes Reborn in the 90s? Most of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four "died" then came back awhile later with new number 1's, some of those went back to the original numbering, usually at a fiftieth or hundredth milestone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They tend to bring back the original number for milestone issues, like that recent issue of Venom.

The only thing I can think of that might bring back the original numbering permanently is that Legacy thing Fall, which I guess is probably a relaunch again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

They tend to bring back the original number for milestone issues, like that recent issue of Venom.

The only thing I can think of that might bring back the original numbering permanently is that Legacy thing Fall, which I guess is probably a relaunch again.

They already said that a number of long running books will revert to the legacy numbering then.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Fingers quadruple crossed for Amazing Spider-man #780 to introduce a new writer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Remember that time Spider-man fought a nazi made of bees?

Squirrel Girl also fought him!

Man, X-men Gold 2 was still really good. I love how we got a fantastic classic Wolverine action.

RIp Hellcat, you were too beautiful for this world. Maybe she'll join an Avengers team or something else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Squirrel Girl also fought him!

Man, X-men Gold 2 was still really good. I love how we got a fantastic classic Wolverine action.

RIp Hellcat, you were too beautiful for this world. Maybe she'll join an Avengers team or something else.

She's showing up in the She-Hulk book at least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

She's showing up in the She-Hulk book at least.

Speaking of which I remember there was a lot of speculation about how Daredevil made his identity secret again in the Charles Soule book, when it was directly explained how someone might do that in his cancelled She-Hulk.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
For the record Kate Leth was on Twitter and basically said that while people said they loved the book, they would approach her at Cons and say that they fell behind and then figured "Eh, I'll get the trade."

Whether or not you like Hellcat or Nova or any of these other books getting canned. Please buy it if you enjoy it. There is actually no other way to support these books, just because you laugh at the pages or post around saying "My god it's amazing." If you don't buy it, then you can't help it.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Roth posted:

Yes, now that you mention it, it is Legacy, thanks!

• Locked thread