Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Texmo posted:

GW as a company was poo poo when helmed by Tom Kirby, and since that cancer has been cut out there have been very clear and rapid improvements in the quality of GW's attitude and general quality as a company and, assuming you don't have a warhammer fantasy-shaped chip on your shoulder, they're actually pretty consistently good now as opposed to being generally consumer-hostile and Bad as they were under Kirby.

In conclusion, its okay to give GW money now.

my main problem with GW has always been that they are incredibly incompetent (and really, disinterested) when it comes to actual game design, which hasn't changed in the slightest. and they're still extremely consumer-hostile by any reasonable standards.

the one thing they've ever been good at was making miniatures, and their modern output is chock with stuff that is technically impressive but looks like rear end

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i know youve probably inadvertently inhaled enough resin shavings that youve got some cysts or open sores on your brain so context is hard for you, so ill break it down barney style for you son

we were talking about refunds/rebates/store credit being given for products that a company sells and then invalidates soon thereafter, correct? afaik, wotc doesnt sell individual cards, just the main decks and the boosters, all of which have a random assortment of cards. a quick google told me a magic booster pack of 16 cards is $2.99, that comes down to a little more than 18 cents a card. wotc doesnt profit off of nerds reselling cards for way more than that, so why would they be beholden to refund someone for what they paid on the secondhand market?

:allears:
um while it's a pretty ridiculous stretch to compare bannings to GW releasing expensive rulebooks and then obsoleting them months later, this is wrong

wotc doesn't sell individual cards, but it sells boosters on the strength of rares in general and chase rares in particular. if they stopped printing rare cards booster sales would plummet because people would require far fewer boosters to sell their decks. the secondary market oils this whole machine but the fundamental thing driving booster sales is that every card played has to be opened in a booster, and the number of boosters opened per valuable rare is pretty high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

You just need to agree in advance what height each bit of terrain is, and mentally divide it into halves or thirds, as long as you and your opponent have an idea where the grid lines are. It does help to have the Mantic battlezones or some third party MDF eventually, but scatter terrain can always be any size, and overlap grid lines, etc

The only thing I'd say to this is that height 2 should be the same on all pieces of terrain, just like height 3 should be, and height 4, etc. If two models are at the same height, they really should be on the same horizontal plane.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The new 40k is gonna be sick.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

my main problem with GW has always been that they are incredibly incompetent (and really, disinterested) when it comes to actual game design, which hasn't changed in the slightest. and they're still extremely consumer-hostile by any reasonable standards.

the one thing they've ever been good at was making miniatures, and their modern output is chock with stuff that is technically impressive but looks like rear end

The sane and balanced words of a sane and balanced man. Nothing extreme here, this is clearly the attitude of a person open to other opinions and viewpoints.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Hamshot posted:

The sane and balanced words of a sane and balanced man. Nothing extreme here, this is clearly the attitude of a person open to other opinions and viewpoints.

this is a very bad post and you should feel ashamed of it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Atlas Hugged posted:

The only thing I'd say to this is that height 2 should be the same on all pieces of terrain, just like height 3 should be, and height 4, etc. If two models are at the same height, they really should be on the same horizontal plane.

Ah, that's not a problem; I have a bunch of 40k terrain that's pretty uniform height, But it did seem taller on a per-level basis than the Deadzone terrain I saw

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

wotc doesn't sell individual cards, but it sells boosters on the strength of rares in general and chase rares in particular. if they stopped printing rare cards booster sales would plummet because people would require far fewer boosters to sell their decks. the secondary market oils this whole machine but the fundamental thing driving booster sales is that every card played has to be opened in a booster, and the number of boosters opened per valuable rare is pretty high

Yeah sales of Magic's sealed product depend almost wholly on the value the secondary market places on the cards within, which are driven primarily by demand from tournament players.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Why? I was just complimenting you friend. :(

After all, the death thread has always been a place of fair and balanced opinions, where people are open to suggestions without backhanded dismissal. Right? No?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's called the death thread because that's what every poster in it deserves.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TheChirurgeon posted:

Ah, that's not a problem; I have a bunch of 40k terrain that's pretty uniform height, But it did seem taller on a per-level basis than the Deadzone terrain I saw

And because the game measures distances in cubes, it doesn't matter what the distances actually are in inches. But for the sake of fairness, the divisions should be even since the game uses true line of sight.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah sales of Magic's sealed product depend almost wholly on the value the secondary market places on the cards within, which are driven primarily by demand from tournament players.

This is a batrep of the GMG guys starting a campaign using some Space Hulk-like terrain to play Deadzone with only a single level of height https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8dWs0iiAng

And then moving on to Mantics battlezones stuff for the next battle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYbn08t86ow

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I recently got gifted a Painboy model from my LGS (there's a weekly product lottery for people attending the store) and out of curiosity I looked up the price for a Kommando Squad because I figured 'hey, Ork Kommandos are cool and I've been eyeing Shadow War Armageddon' and WHAT THE gently caress EIGHTY FOUR DOLLARS :eyepop:

Granted, this was because the GW website thought I was living in Australia(why) and the actual price point is about half of that - which is still a lot of money for five resin greenskins.

This leads me to think that even if 8th edition succeeds in fixing most of the problems we have with 7th today ruleswise (which would be very nice), it's still going to be too unattractive for most potential new players to buy into simply because of the pricing. I think that unless GW decides to take steps in order to shake down prices a notch and/or have standard games contain less models, they'll still have problems with picking up new players as opposed to people which already have models from somewhere. Of course, there is a large second hand market (which is how I got most of my stuff) but not everyone is willing to look to that just to get the army they want.

edit:

VVVV same tbh

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 28, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

he has the universal special rule And They Shall Know No Shame

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Soulfucker posted:

... and out of curiosity I looked up the price for a Kommando Squad because I figured 'hey, Ork Kommandos are cool and I've been eyeing Shadow War Armageddon' and WHAT THE gently caress EIGHTY FOUR DOLLARS :eyepop:

It's worse than that! Ork kommandos ACTUALLY COST loving FIVE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED yen DOLLARS!

Moola posted:

he has the universal special rule And They Shall Know No Shame

I can't even front.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You guys are really loving hypersensitive when the tables turn.

I can't wait to give Sega money

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hamshot posted:

It's worse than that! Ork kommandos ACTUALLY COST loving FIVE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED yen DOLLARS!

Which would also be a bad price if you ask me. Could you explain your point a bit more clearly?

Bad Moon posted:

Give me Phantasy Star 5 or give me death :argh:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Soulfucker posted:

Which would also be a bad price if you ask me. Could you explain your point a bit more clearly?

What point? I'm agreeing with you! Paying FIVE. THOUSAND. EIGHT. HUNDREDyen AMERICAN DOLLARS is obscene for tiny plastic grey unassembled unpainted unbased badly sculpted terribly designed space barbies.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bad Moon posted:

same the new Sonic looks cool

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's an incredibly weird way of going on about it but okay then!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Moola posted:

same the new Sonic looks cool

Also Warhammer Total War is a good game friend.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Soulfucker posted:

That's an incredibly weird way of going on about it but okay then!

Why are you being so mean to me! These are my valid points! :qq:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is this like the argument where China's economy isn't totally hosed so long as you only look at it in RMB but as soon as you convert it into dollars it's obvious what bad shape it is in?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hamshot posted:

Why are you being so mean to me! These are my valid points! :qq:

dude...

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I took an initial read through of the firefight rules. So far it looks reasonably good.
The height rules are a bit :battletech: but otherwise it's nice to see a reasonable evolution of the 3rd ed 40k ruleset.
I guess my Guard will be repurposed as GCPS forces and what few marines I'm not selling will be enforcers.
My remaining taudar will probably be asterians so that's cool.

I've only found one online review of scrappers so far and that came out positive.
Not very detailed so I'll keep looking.
I've also looked at a couple others but not sure yet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mcjomar posted:

So I took an initial read through of the firefight rules. So far it looks reasonably good.
The height rules are a bit :battletech: but otherwise it's nice to see a reasonable evolution of the 3rd ed 40k ruleset.
I guess my Guard will be repurposed as GCPS forces and what few marines I'm not selling will be enforcers.
My remaining taudar will probably be asterians so that's cool.

I've only found one online review of scrappers so far and that came out positive.
Not very detailed so I'll keep looking.
I've also looked at a couple others but not sure yet.

When I saw this post I thought it was going to be rap lyrics and as I read it I grew more disappointed.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Soulfucker posted:

I recently got gifted a Painboy model from my LGS (there's a weekly product lottery for people attending the store) and out of curiosity I looked up the price for a Kommando Squad because I figured 'hey, Ork Kommandos are cool and I've been eyeing Shadow War Armageddon' and WHAT THE gently caress EIGHTY FOUR DOLLARS :eyepop:

Granted, this was because the GW website thought I was living in Australia(why) and the actual price point is about half of that - which is still a lot of money for five resin greenskins.

This leads me to think that even if 8th edition succeeds in fixing most of the problems we have with 7th today ruleswise (which would be very nice), it's still going to be too unattractive for most potential new players to buy into simply because of the pricing. I think that unless GW decides to take steps in order to shake down prices a notch and/or have standard games contain less models, they'll still have problems with picking up new players as opposed to people which already have models from somewhere. Of course, there is a large second hand market (which is how I got most of my stuff) but not everyone is willing to look to that just to get the army they want.

edit:

VVVV same tbh

Given that they're quoting 1500 point games in a couple hours instead of all drat afternoon, I expect this is the case. We'll know more once actual point values are available, probably next month.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Soulfucker posted:

This leads me to think that even if 8th edition succeeds in fixing most of the problems we have with 7th today ruleswise (which would be very nice), it's still going to be too unattractive for most potential new players to buy into simply because of the pricing. I think that unless GW decides to take steps in order to shake down prices a notch and/or have standard games contain less models, they'll still have problems with picking up new players as opposed to people which already have models from somewhere.

not a chance. you wanna see a 40k kid actually get outraged, seeing the same box they bought a couple months ago suddenly retailing for like 33% less and bringing it into the realm of reasonable asking price would probably cause some aneurysms

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Have there been any new rules previews, or is just just 40K posters mad posting still?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sir Teabag posted:

Have there been any new rules previews, or is just just 40K posters mad posting still?

you literally post in the thread where links to rules previews are being discussed

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

They have provided samples for the new unit and weapon statlines, as well as a little additional information about those and some information on movement. It's being posted through the new community website, which is itself a pretty big improvement.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

you literally post in the thread where links to rules previews are being discussed

Yeah but I'm too lazy to skim through this one.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Sir Teabag posted:

Yeah but I'm too lazy to skim through this one.

fair enough. They just previewed psychic powers today, which look like they're becoming more like AoS (most of the new rules they've shown point to the game being basically a slightly-improved AoS in space so far), which is a pretty positive change from the current festering pile of garbage that are 40k's psychic power rules. Looks like they're leaving the separate phase in for powers though, which isn't great, though I know people who say they forget to use powers if there's no phase for them.

Soulfucker posted:

It's maddening that GW's site still can't just use an IP lookup to figure out the country I'm in. Just total bush-league poo poo.

The only possible explanation I can think of for GW's Australian prices is that they actually just don't want people in Australian to play their games

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
While the changes look like they'll be a lot better than 7th, seeing ~mortal wounds~ turn up from AoS is less than impressive after the battlereport that was posted earlier in this thread.
Maybe if I get a few test games of 8th under my belt I'll feel differently, but that psychic phase doesn't look as hot as the rest of 8th so far.
It would be nice to be proven wrong though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Psychics should be a small part of the game, and I think the change is a good thing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcjomar posted:

While the changes look like they'll be a lot better than 7th, seeing ~mortal wounds~ turn up from AoS is less than impressive after the battlereport that was posted earlier in this thread.
Maybe if I get a few test games of 8th under my belt I'll feel differently, but that psychic phase doesn't look as hot as the rest of 8th so far.
It would be nice to be proven wrong though.

Out of curiosity, what's your beef with mortal wounds? I haven't really looked at AoS all that much but having unsave-able wounds seems like a good thing to me (I remember TKIY's batrep, but not the specifics around MWs), if only because too many rounds of 40k end up being marines vs. marines, endlessly rolling 20 dice at a time with nothing happening as all the wounds caused end up saved.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
The only beef I have with mortal wounds is that in AoS they auto hit. If they drop that in 40k it will be fine

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mostly just the the way they were presented as functioning as they just seemed to add extra rain into the shitstorm he was apparently fighting through in the report.
But maybe I misunderstood from the report how it worked and maybe it's a good rule after all.
If so then great because the rest of the psychic phase (based on the one page of fast description ) sounds like a good strp up from the previous rules.
But either way I'd rather wait until I lay my hands on the rulebook before making a final call.

That aside from a universe backstory perspective I understand totally why mortal wounds would do what it says in the GW page. Of course that leads me to question will people be able to purchase hexagrammic wards or whatever to defend against it (this is a thing in other GW games). Will it be a 'ward or invuln' choice. Or is it just 'pay extra to not die'. And how would Grey Knights work against it? All of which needs access to an actual rulebook to answer.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Serotonin posted:

The only beef I have with mortal wounds is that in AoS they auto hit. If they drop that in 40k it will be fine

Okay yeah the autohit sounds bad holy poo poo.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I think it's sort of fine for magic spells etc but for weapon attacks it's a pain

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcjomar posted:

Mostly just the the way they were presented as functioning as they just seemed to add extra rain into the shitstorm he was apparently fighting through in the report.
But maybe I misunderstood from the report how it worked and maybe it's a good rule after all.
If so then great because the rest of the psychic phase (based on the one page of fast description ) sounds like a good strp up from the previous rules.
But either way I'd rather wait until I lay my hands on the rulebook before making a final call

Yeah I"m optimistic, but we don't have enough info yet to know that they aren't going to gently caress up psychic powers

Serotonin posted:

I think it's sort of fine for magic spells etc but for weapon attacks it's a pain

Yeah it's hard to tell if that's the case in 40k from what we saw, since powers may hit automatically regardless of whether they cause mortal wounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Have they revealed any more of their fantastic new ruleset?

• Locked thread