Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

im french and i never even realized
Haha same, I read that and went "HOLY poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

mobby_6kl posted:

Napiwek, so also drinking money.

Yet another language where it's the same. Good to know.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Dutch word for tip, which is 'fooi', doesn't seem related to any of these.

So I looked it up.

From French 'voie' (which comes from Latin 'via'), meaning road, this word mutated its meaning: road -> farewell meal/drink (see Scots English 'foy') -> farewell gift -> tip.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Is that map saying restaurants in germany accept dollars? That seems odd.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder how the language affects public policy. Like, if the English term was beercash, would that result in people being less likely to tip, destroying the viability of tip based wages?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

The Belgian posted:

Is that map saying restaurants in germany accept dollars? That seems odd.

Yeah I thought it's only third world countries where people are OK with taking foreign currencies

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember back when McDonald's still thought they could do business in downtown Hesburg, their premiere location right next to the market square accepted USD and SEK as well as FIM or EUR (can't remember which currency was in use here when they realized they can't compete and relegated themselves to gas stations and shopping centres on the outskirts of the city). So yeah Ras Het's theory checks out.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Once I witnessed some tourist with a French accent asking the cashier in a local supermarket whether they accepted euros (the answer was "No"). I thought it was strange that he bothered to ask, given that we are not located on a border with the eurozone and the closest place you could spend them normally would be in Kilpisjärvi, some 160 km away by road.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I remember back when McDonald's still thought they could do business in downtown Hesburg, their premiere location right next to the market square accepted USD and SEK as well as FIM or EUR (can't remember which currency was in use here when they realized they can't compete and relegated themselves to gas stations and shopping centres on the outskirts of the city). So yeah Ras Het's theory checks out.

What, no EEK or RUR?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 27, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It wasn't in Germany but I saw American tourists in Rome who got super lovely that a restaurant wouldn't take their American cash hahaha.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mobby_6kl posted:

Napiwek, so also drinking money.

Yeah, but that descriptor also applies to wages

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kopijeger posted:

Once I witnessed some tourist with a French accent asking the cashier in a local supermarket whether they accepted euros (the answer was "No"). I thought it was strange that he bothered to ask, given that we are not located on a border with the eurozone and the closest place you could spend them normally would be in Kilpisjärvi, some 160 km away by road.

you europhobe fucks is why the world is going to poo poo, KING euros should be able to spend wherever

tall and blond and full of pride

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

you europhobe fucks is why the world is going to poo poo, KING euros should be able to spend wherever

Funny man. What could be more kingly than having a currency that is actually called "crown"?

quote:

tall and blond and full of pride

Be tall, blond and full of pride in the Eurozone, if it is not too much to ask.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

What, no EEK or RUR?

:lol:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Kopijeger posted:

Funny man. What could be more kingly than having a currency that is actually called "crown"?

I convinced a friend of mine to come to Poland with me because the in English, the currency means "gold" so he'll feel like he's playing D&D.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kopijeger posted:

Well sure. Most of the more Mediterranean nations aren't very proud of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mojo1701a posted:

I convinced a friend of mine to come to Poland with me because the in English, the currency means "gold" so he'll feel like he's playing D&D.

Proof Poland is richer than France where money is just called "silver" (argent).

Is there a language where it's just "copper"?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kopijeger posted:

im talking about you northling

Also more like than not youve got a queen, queenly money is not good

Pride is a SIN, from which we euros are absolved, as we are the meek

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Cat Mattress posted:

Proof Poland is richer than France where money is just called "silver" (argent).

To be fair, "argent" means "money", but "złoty" is just the name of the currency.

Still, nice one.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

argentum is latin for silver.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Which is why the "la Plata" > "Argentina" switch is so funny. Someone was feeling fancy.

Meanwhile the BBC apparently thinks the correct translation on Rio de la Plata is "river plate."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Duckbag posted:

Which is why the "la Plata" > "Argentina" switch is so funny. Someone was feeling fancy.

Meanwhile the BBC apparently thinks the correct translation on Rio de la Plata is "river plate."

Well, "plate" in English used to be used as a synonym for silver, as well as the other normal meanings. Probably came from French via the same root that made plata in Spanish.

So it's not really a mistranslation at all, it's just very archaic.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I know that -- it's like how silverware isn't usually silver anymore. Still, there's something peculiarly English about just picking a translation and sticking with it in the face of all good sense. American press mostly just calls it Rio de la Plata. Then again the bbc also spent 8 years calling our president "bear-eck o'bomber," so maybe it's just them.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Duckbag posted:

britain never really accepted the fact that argentina was not a formal british colony

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 28, 2017

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

icantfindaname posted:

britain never really accepted the fact that argentina was not a formal british colony

Greater Falklandia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

Well, "plate" in English used to be used as a synonym for silver, as well as the other normal meanings. Probably came from French via the same root that made plata in Spanish.

So it's not really a mistranslation at all, it's just very archaic.

If the audience doesn’t understand it as it was meant in the original, it’s mistranslation.

“Gift” is a word in both English and German. At one time they meant the same thing, but in modern German, “gift” means “poison”.

But Rio de la Plata is a place name whose meaning is immaterial, so whatever.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Are you sure they're etymologically related? Gif (poison) and gift (gift, but more in the juridical sense) both exist in Dutch.

This will give me something to look up on my boring train commute

e: oh, I guess they are related.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

e: oh, I guess they are related.
The difference between Anglos and continental Germanics: Anglos assume that if you give them something it's a good thing, while everyone else assumes you're trying to kill them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, before we got euros, the Netherlands had the Gulden. Which obviously means 'golden'.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Hambilderberglar posted:

170ish million, out of 1.2 billion plus populations comes out to be about 15%, which is in the 0-20% range :v:

I assume at least some of that 170ish million are women, too!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Belpit posted:

I assume at least some of that 170ish million are women, too!

Well the Hindus have women as well (though their facebook may lead you to think otherwise) so it balances out.

(They don't count women in male circumcision statistics)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Ras Het posted:

Yeah I thought it's only third world countries where people are OK with taking foreign currencies

the ussr collapsed 26 years ago

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

stone cold posted:

the ussr collapsed 26 years ago

And people have been using "third-world" as a euphemism for "super poor" nearly as long.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mr. Belpit posted:

And people have been using "third-world" as a euphemism for "super poor" nearly as long.

ok but there's eighty different more correct terms to use and we're in the maps thread so

like the term went out of date before a lot of posters were born

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, third world is a lovely cold war term, but I'm really not sure "developing nation," or "global south" is any better. The problem isn't so much the label people use as the underlying assumption that all these mostly poor, mostly brown, mostly post-colonial, mostly NAM-affiliated countries are basically the same. I'm not sure what we can do about it, -- the "foreign policy establishment" types seem to love their umbrella terms -- but I don't think any label that lumps India and Mexico into the same category as Malawi and East Timor is actually useful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cuba is still second world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People like taking foreign currency if they local currency is unstable and bad, or if there are lots of potential customers with foreign currency in the area and they’d lose too much business if they didn’t accept it.

If you’re in the third world and people are taking your EUR/USD, you’re either in a tourist trap or a country undergoing an economic crisis. Also, they’re probably overcharging you. :ssh:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Sorry sorry im trying to delete it. I should have said "rough economies"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ras Het posted:

Sorry sorry im trying to delete it. I should have said "rough economies"
Economies are like sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In that you don't want to build your house on one.