Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Space Crabs posted:

A "personal" email from Crobberts that actually said "to paraphrase JFK"

Peak whale was late 2016.

It's great isn't it? Everything information wise lately has been about CIG grabbing and begging money here, there, and everywhere while making it look like they are bowing to the people. They may as well just come out and say to everyone "Hey guys who thought they were getting a game, our nepotism and ridiculous mismanagement with your money now means we are flat broke, if we don't get at least 3 mill this month you can kiss your dreams goodbye. See you in the... oh wait, no"

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
jezz. what was that old kids sci-fi tv show called (late 80s) that had these stop motion dinosaurs that had to be captured by these people in a small sci-fi train-truck thing. I am no longer sure if the dinosaurs were claymotion and the people puppets. Every time that drat truck had some issues and they had to fix it in order to capture the dinosaur that then was airlifted away... thanks for anyone that remembers!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Why does Malakie think DS "promised" anyone a game ever? Pretty sure an indy dev who is self funded can darn well release a game when ever they want to.

Also, and what the hell does DS releasing a game or not have to do with his opinion on the publicly funded slow motion mo-cap car crash that is SC?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sabreseven posted:

Also, and what the hell does DS releasing a game or not have to do with his opinion on the publicly funded slow motion mo-cap car crash that is SC?

It seems obvious what Derek's end game is. When he "wins" against the Croberts he will take the crop of trophy whales and milk them for himself. Imagine, if Chris Roberts was going to make the BDSGE, and was bested by Derek, then by the power of transitive property Derek is capable of making an even better game! Derek is setting up an investment that will pay out thousands of times better than any 401k.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I really have to say, RemindMe bot is such a great engine for schadenfreude.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait until rockstar releases read dead 2 in 2024

oh wait no its like in the next 6 months

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
It's going to take a lot for me to not apply for this and hide Goatse in everything.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Most games take 7-8 years to release a tech demo

Star Citizen ahead of the curve

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
That comment section reads like a pitfight.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tooterfish posted:

What do they compete in, who can clip through a door the fastest?

No.

Who can get 4 people first into a party. Usually takes a couple hours.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The Titanic posted:

CIG wants to have everything and basically be The Matrix in space. The good thing is that they DO have one scene from The Matrix!

There is no game.

Whoa!

Its not the Matrix in space, its more like Lord of the Flies.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Gravity_Storm posted:

Star CItizen: It's more like the Fyre Festival

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Those clowns have no clue what OCD is.

Take it to the limit, Warlord!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sabreseven posted:

Reported! MODS!!!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Reported! MODS!!!

:five: :xd:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Amateurs

But on a serious note........da fuq?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4cj2W0AP5k&t=26s

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sabreseven posted:

Yeah, except those folks now have a great story to tell, and it provided worldwide amusement.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sabreseven posted:

Bit of a post from Asp Explorer on Fdev again regarding trademarks which I found funny :

quote:

Asp Explorer Said :
This one however, overflows my lulzbucket

quote:

STAR CITIZEN Trademark Information
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
Motion picture films featuring action, comedies, and dramas about a fictional universe; downloadable motion pictures and television shows featuring action, comedies, and dramas about a fictional universe; downloadable videos featuring action, comedies, and dramas about a fictional universe
Film and video production and distribution; production and distribution of motion pictures; production and distribution of television shows and movies

Is this saying that CIG never actually trademarked Star Citizen as a game?

If so, Derek you know what you must do.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

April 29, 2018

Yesterday was a very challenging day for all of us. But we would like to fully explain what happened.

Chris Roberts and Ortwin Freyermuth started a partnership over a mutual interest in technology, video games, and motion pictures. This unique combination of interests led them to the idea that, through their combined passions, they could create a new type of game and experience.

They simply weren’t ready for what happened next, or how big this thing would get. They started by making a website and launching a Kickstarter campaign. Ortwin helped book talent, and they had hundreds of backers join in the effort. Suddenly, they found themselves transforming CryEngine and trying to build a universe. Thousands of people wanted this dream to become reality. They were excited, but then the blockers started popping up.

As amazing as the features were, the infrastructure for a game of this magnitude needed to be built from the ground up. So, we decided to literally attempt to build a universe. We set up gravity and physics, brought the best and brightest engineers in from Germany, and chartered planes to shuttle our executives via 12 flights a day from around the world. We thought we were ready, but then everyone kept backing.

The team was overwhelmed. The pipelines were jam packed. The servers couldn’t handle the load. And the blockers from intense sprints took down half of the programming team. This is an unacceptable backer experience and the team at CIG takes full responsibility for the issues that occurred.

Everyone was very concerned for our backers. They needed a universe to explore and everyone did their absolute best to build it. We took everyone on the journey with us, showcasing the development, but as more backers pledged, we were simply in over our heads. Ultimately, we didn’t think our team could keep up, so we had to postpone the game. The response to the postponement was immediate and intense. We had no other options, so we began the process of getting backers refunds. Our top priority as a company is to ensure the safe return of all your money.

All backers will be refunded in full. We will be working on refunds over the next few days and will be in touch directly with backers with more details. Also, all backers from the Star Citizen/Squadron 42 Kickstarter will have first access to Chris Roberts' next game.

We’re grateful for the United States government and California's State Attorney's office for their assistance during this challenging time—their efforts have been exemplary. We want to thank the backers for their support and for graciously allowing us the privilege of attempting something never before seen in PC gaming. We apologize for any inconvenience the past several years has caused and we look forward to you making a considerable donation to Chris's next game. We all need to make this right. And once we make this right, then we will put on the dream game we sought to have since the inception of Star Citizen.

Thank you for all your continued patience and understanding. We apologize for what all of our backers and staff went through over the last 6 years and will work tirelessly to make this right. Please check our official social media channels (@starcitizen) for further important updates.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

:eyepop:

if it's one thing you could ever be more right about in what you get, let it be this, please

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

nawledgelambo posted:

if it's one thing you could ever be more right about in what you get, let it be this, please

:ughh:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is a little known fact that Chris Roberts is also a party planning and convention project manager as well. He recently assisted Ja Rule with the best drat concert in the abandoned development area north of Sandals on Exuma!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

https://fyrefestival.com/

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
it is time to shut down my computer

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

It's never been done before so it's Apollo 1 so far.

I'm thinking Apollo is less apt a comparison as Challenger.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 30, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GRAAAAAAAR! What, you drooling moron? Show me a 10 year game dev cycle (that isn't CIG)! ALSO IT IS NOT TWO COMPLETE GAMES! IT IS, AT BEST, 1.5 GAMES!

(Where SQ42 is a script-driven lobotomized single player version of SC... It's not like they are creating all new AI, Archering all new art assets, etc for SQ42!)

Not much I can do with drooling moron bunnies, so this will have to do.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 30, 2017

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sum Mors posted:

I'm thinking the Apollo is less apt a comparison as Challenger.

It saddens me to have any of our astronauts, or their missions, compared to Star Citizen. The crew of the Challenger gave their lives in pursuit of bettering our world and expanding our knowledge. They were a source of inspiration to our nation. The catastrophic loss of real heroes who were brave enough to actually attempt something incredibly difficult and dangerous is the exact opposite of *anything* ever associated with that sleaze bag used car salesman.

Roberts best claim to fame if his ludicrous project was successful would be that he made an overly complicated video game.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

[/quote]

Is this saying that CIG never actually trademarked Star Citizen as a game?

If so, Derek you know what you must do.
[/quote]

Alas, no - Star Citizen has registered trademarks for the above, plus:

- Entertainment services, namely, ongoing multimedia programs about a computer game featuring a fictional universe, accessible by web-based applications, mobile phone applications, and computer networks. FIRST USE: 20121200. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20121200
-Downloadable electronic publications in the nature of newsletters, journals, magazines and guidebooks in the field of combat, strategy and role playing games provided on-line from databases for the Internet. FIRST USE: 20121200. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20121200
-Toys, namely, toy mobiles, toy vehicles, toy spaceships, promotional game cards. FIRST USE: 20150800. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20150800
-Computer games software; video game software. FIRST USE: 20130800. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20130800
-Entertainment provided via the Internet, namely, providing online massively multi-player video games; on-line entertainment services in the nature of online computer game tournaments; providing on-line information in the field of computer gaming entertainment. FIRST USE: 20130800. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20130800

Similar registrations exist for Squadron 42.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gravity_Storm posted:

Nope. Lord of the Flies had a better management team/paradigm.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Reddit has another thread about the SPACEDOOR and the most upvoted comment is this:

quote:

If I run at them real fast, can I glitch through them?

:laffo:

e: woops, hosed up my url tags lol

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 30, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It saddens me to have any of our astronauts, or their missions, compared to Star Citizen. The crew of the Challenger gave their lives in pursuit of bettering our world and expanding our knowledge. They were a source of inspiration to our nation. The catastrophic loss of real heroes who were brave enough to actually attempt something incredibly difficult and dangerous is the exact opposite of *anything* ever associated with that sleaze bag used car salesman.

Roberts best claim to fame if his ludicrous project was successful would be that he made an overly complicated video game.

Plus, you know, they actually got off the ground. More than once.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Not saying its a good analogy, but if you had to pick a mission most comparable... Maybe the Chinese story of a guy strapping rockets to a chair and launching himself to the moon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Hu

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

I.... I can't even... :facepalm:

They had one of the biggest public failures of management, marketing and promotions since CIG and their solution?? Let's do it next year. I am literally shocked.

It's like United airlines saying we can totally overbook again soon and drag the guy off the plane better next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, except those folks now have a great story to tell, and it provided worldwide amusement.

more sex probably happened at the Tyre Fyre than citizens have collectively mustered over sc's 6 long years