Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I hope YouTube Documents everything in this loving game to show the world. We live in a day in age where gaming secrets do not exist anymore, and if they do, they've already been discovered.
But if they're secret, how do you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

I know this is a million pages ago, but now that I'm done the game I want to come back and say that when it happened I figured the "pancakes" thing was just supposed to indicate Akechi was clever and perceptive, since it'd been described before that people can't hear Morgana due to their conception that cats shouldn't be able to talk so it'd make sense for someone being introduced as an ace detective to be close to sussing it out.

I figured he might "betray" the Phantom Thieves in the plain old police detective way, since he'd been upfront from the start that he wasn't joining the Thieves, and that it going awry would be what makes him join for real. The guy in the black mask I thought was going to be Shido himself, who'd used the cognition research to send himself into the Metaverse. Finding out Akechi was actually his pawn caught me by surprise and the whole switcheroo scheme set up by the framing device was also Very Good, the whole Shido business felt like the strongest writing in the game. The ending god-plot stuff was a little more eh by comparison.

There's like 400 pages of thread already though so I assume any post-game writing critique has already been picked to pieces. Boy, those offensive gay stereotype characters carrying Ryuji off huh?

The entire last act of the game actually felt the most incisive, to me. The general population choosing to languish in their depression and purposelessness and hope for the end of the world to come and justify their lack of ambition, to the point where they actively resent anyone trying to make the world better, hit a lot closer to home than Shido, who was basically a caricature. A deliberate caricature, mind - his character is incredibly flat compared to the other targets, even freakin' Kaneshiro, but all the intrigue around him is how his inner circle becomes even worse in their attempts to become a part of his power base. He's basically a big bald symbol for institutional repression.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
holy poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Are the time slots that I'm getting from Kawakami's confidence bonus slots that didn't exist before or are they replacing +1 knowledge trivia question slots?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

cool, cool, eh, don't know who that is, best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Are the time slots that I'm getting from Kawakami's confidence bonus slots that didn't exist before or are they replacing +1 knowledge trivia question slots?

they arent replacing them because otherwise your exams would be hosed since the exams ask you stuff that's covered in class

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Actually the one most important post-game writing discussion point is real cat Morgana is cute but also looks like one of those "cartoon character -> creepy high-detail 'realistic'" gags from an old cartoon show.

I hope he one day achieves his dream of becoming human and then wooing Ann.

Oxxidation posted:

The entire last act of the game actually felt the most incisive, to me. The general population choosing to languish in their depression and purposelessness and hope for the end of the world to come and justify their lack of ambition, to the point where they actively resent anyone trying to make the world better, hit a lot closer to home than Shido, who was basically a caricature. A deliberate caricature, mind - his character is incredibly flat compared to the other targets, even freakin' Kaneshiro, but all the intrigue around him is how his inner circle becomes even worse in their attempts to become a part of his power base. He's basically a big bald symbol for institutional repression.

It's not bad in terms of themes, it just doesn't feel as sharp as the Shido stuff that was weaved through the whole game, from the framing device to Akechi to the whole cause for the protagonist's situation. It was nice to end on a big blow-up battle where you become Satan rebelling against God and captures the whole idea of being rebels against the apathy and decline of society, but the actual execution of it was a bit straightforward and brief apart from the Igor reveal (which was my favorite part and I sort of wish was explored more). It also lead to like four Lord Of The Rings style false endings where things keep befalling you and you keep getting out of them, reuniting with everyone, getting in trouble again, etc.

It also left me very confused about whether the final battle had "happened" since no one but your friends seem to remember it, even your other Confidants, and I was confused by things like where the people who disappeared into shadows had gone.

Also Oxx it seems like you pop up in any thread where I want to discuss games or shows or what have you, you're quite prolific.

Or maybe it's Toxx, I can't remember the Tyler Durden situation you guys have going on.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Goddamn

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

So I guess i'm going to throw my hand up and admit I didn't get the pancake foreshadowing initially because I uh....forgot who said the pancake line. I tend to mash x during those cutscenes a bit too much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What game is Tomoe from?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dancing All Night, I believe

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What game is Tomoe from?

Persona 4.

See? Tomoe.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
quote this post if you think the girl below is just as beautiful as the girl above the girl below

Supremezero posted:

Persona 4.

See? Tomoe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the girl below is better

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Where is my Persona 5: Platinum where you can play a female Joker and the dudes are also romanceable for both genders and the finale is Ann and Morgana's wedding.

Also I guess you can save Akechi somehow since why not he's only a mass murderer but he has nice hair. Realtalk I'm actually surprised they refrained from bringing him back after his death, they even had a good setup for it when it's explained the God of Control chose him as a pawn in his game. Then again I'm kind of relieved since it was awkward enough having everyone broken up over his death when he literally killed the parents of two of the people present.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

akechi was an emotionally and vaguely implied physically abused 16 year old who was told to commit crimes by his father. not that that absolves him of any and all responsibility but he's still kind of a victim too. his brain isn't even fully formed, c'mon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think (end game spoilers) it made perfect sense for the gang to be upset about what went down with Akechi. As most of them had backgrounds and poo poo which were similar to his and explains why they would be sympathetic and understanding of him. Like, even though he did kill Futaba's mum she'd totally get it when he says his mum's death caused him to hate society and inspired him to get revenge, because that's real similar to what happened with her. And it's not like being sympathetic means they forgive him as Ryuji says later.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's also not like Haru's father was a perfectly wonderful individual who Haru loved unquestionably and never belittled and insulted his daughter and treated his employees with respect and decency

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Ate a soma literally 2 footsteps before the Akechi fight, thanks for the advice goons

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, all told it was handled reasonably well, I was just primed for it to be handled very not well. Cognitive Akechi showing up to take himself down was a fitting end and it was good they could commit to that rather than him coming back redeemed later. Akechi is tragic and a pawn of both his father and an evil God, when it's laid out how he was chosen by the God of Control in his game I wondered if he had his own Velvet Room equivalent he went to each night to be manipulated and led along by the nose. All that warping left him pretty monstrous though and he committed those murders with his own hand, no way of getting around that and any situation that ended with taking him to the ferris wheel on Sunday would've been weak.

Scorps posted:

Ate a soma literally 2 footsteps before the Akechi fight, thanks for the advice goons

I did not and was very nearly rocked, and sort of glad of it since it really did feel like an ambush.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dolash posted:

Yeah, all told it was handled reasonably well, I was just primed for it to be handled very not well. Cognitive Akechi showing up to take himself down was a fitting end and it was good they could commit to that rather than him coming back redeemed later. Akechi is tragic and a pawn of both his father and an evil God, when it's laid out how he was a chosen pawn of the God of Control in his game I wondered if he had his own Velvet Room equivalent he went to each night to be manipulated and led along by the nose. All that warping left him pretty monstrous though and he committed those murders with his own hand, no way of getting around that and any situation that ended with taking him to the ferris wheel on Sunday would've been weak.

The Grail was fully in control of the Velvet Room, so it's quite probable Akechi used it.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Scorps posted:

I didn't save between the 4th + 5th minibosses so imagine my face when this fucker ambushes me with zero prep. Won on the first try but my inventory took a beating.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Grail was fully in control of the Velvet Room, so it's quite probable Akechi used it.
Considering Loki is usually Fool in these games, I figured he was the persona Akechi got from his bond with Joker. Robin Hood being his Arsene equivalent. He's a wild card, so he'd have the same fusion abilities Joker had, but he didn't make any S. Links except Joker.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Considering Loki is usually Fool in these games, I figured he was the persona Akechi got from his bond with Joker. Robin Hood being his Arsene equivalent. He's a wild card, so he'd have the same fusion abilities Joker had, but he didn't make any S. Links except Joker.

Loki seemed linked to his crazy powers, so if anything, it would be his original, with Robin Hood being the one he got from his bond with Joker, imo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

There's data on like a placeholder screen for Loki that says he's also of the Justice arcana tho idk how much stock to put in that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Loki seemed linked to his crazy powers, so if anything, it would be his original, with Robin Hood being the one he got from his bond with Joker, imo.
Robin Hood is listed as Justice when you check him in the stats screen tho. Or maybe in Akechi's side of things, he himself is Fool and Joker is his Justice S. Link?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Loki was definitely the original, since his psychosis abilities were tied to that Persona and he was using it well before his encounter with Joker.

Which if you think about it might mean that Robin Hood's squeaky clean princely look represented how Akechi wanted to appear in front of the only guy who ever formed any kind of actual connection with him. Sad face.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can't believe it was Robin Hood and not Sherlock Holmes I mean are you kidding me right now with this detective arch-rival after your Arsene-carrying rear end.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

Where is my Persona 5: Platinum where you can play a female Joker and the dudes are also romanceable for both genders and the finale is Ann and Morgana's wedding.

No, Ann is my waifu and everyone in our wedding party will wear 73 layers of clothes.

I'd be genuinely skeezed out if an Ann/Mona romance ever happened, he comes across to me as an incredibly immature child trying to play the part of a suave adult most of the time. I'm curious as to why they included it at all since it never goes anywhere beyond Mona occasionally acting pervy towards her (trying to peek up her skirt, that weird comment in Mementos about her butt, etc.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

Robin Hood is listed as Justice when you check him in the stats screen tho. Or maybe in Akechi's side of things, he himself is Fool and Joker is his Justice S. Link?

Yeah, its not like there's anything preventing that. You establish a Fool link in every game despite the protagonist being of the Fool Arcana after all, and it would make sense each Wild Card's personal Tarot journey was unique to them. So they're all Fools but establish bonds of different Arcanas based on their relationships with others.

Alacron posted:

No, Ann is my waifu and everyone in our wedding party will wear 73 layers of clothes.

I'd be genuinely skeezed out if an Ann/Mona romance ever happened, he comes across to me as an incredibly immature child trying to play the part of a suave adult most of the time. I'm curious as to why they included it at all since it never goes anywhere beyond Mona occasionally acting pervy towards her (trying to peek up her skirt, that weird comment in Mementos about her butt, etc.)

:byodood: YOU'RE SO GORGEOUS PANTHER

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 30, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Can someone please tell me what the little jingle when you play the crane game is from cause I know it but cannot remember and it's driving me crazy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dolash posted:

I can't believe it was Robin Hood and not Sherlock Holmes I mean are you kidding me right now with this detective arch-rival after your Arsene-carrying rear end.

I mean if Akechi really was the reluctant rival-turned-friend he so desperately wanted to be maybe he could have nabbed a Zenigata Persona at some point but no, he has Loki and so he died as he lived, a crazy fuckup.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's how I read things.

Alacron posted:

It's not going to happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dolash posted:

It still had to be a thief Persona, because it reflects his (supposed) goals of doing the wrong thing for just reasons. Robin Hood reflects that perfectly. Just as Loki, his true Persona, reflects him being a trickster god out to cause Old-Testament style fuckery with the mortal folk.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dolash posted:

For one, the Arthur Conan Doyle estate is notoriously litigious.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh wait there's a spoiler thread.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ROFL Octopus posted:

For one, the Arthur Conan Doyle estate is notoriously litigious.

He's in the public domain though, at least in most of the world. There are a few ancillary short stories that aren't, but you can basically use the name/likeness for whatever as long as you don't discuss specific details in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zore posted:

He's in the public domain though, at least in most of the world. There are a few ancillary short stories that aren't, but you can basically use the name/likeness for whatever as long as you don't discuss specific details in them.

Akechi's crippling opium addiction had to be cut for time anyway.