Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

I never thought I'd see the day that the loving GNX was called a piece of poo poo in AI.

gently caress you all, this forum is absolute dogshit these days.

Cage posted:

Also they're not ugly. Your taste just doesn't align.

xzzy posted:

G bodies ain't ugly, they got their own thing going on.

cursedshitbox posted:

I loathe GM and the GNX is still awesome.

This forum is hosed. years ago this poo poo wouldn't fly.

mobby_6kl posted:

Can we permaban anyone talking poo poo about the GNX?

Wrar posted:

G-body haters ya'll lack context. They were the kings of the straight line for a dark age in the 80s and can easily be made to make big power.

So they look ugly and 80s but they're awesome because they have boost and displacement so if you don't like you're wrong.

lol this is a tremendous amount of butthurt because i called an ugly car what it is

Here's some "context" for you: another black car from around the same era with only about 240 horsepower, but instead of being ugly, it is one of the prettiest cars ever made

i'm going to post more NSX pics now because that's some actual awesome AI car poo poo

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sagebrush posted:

lol this is a tremendous amount of butthurt because i called an ugly car what it is

Here's some "context" for you: another black car from around the same era with only about 240 horsepower, but instead of being ugly, it is one of the prettiest cars ever made

Thanks again for your opinions that you consider to be universal truths. You're the best kind of person.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

Seriously, though, the Japanese were just killing it with their performance car styling in the very tail end of the 80s/start of the 90s. The FD RX7 especially has the kind of classic beauty that puts it up with the early E-types.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Seriously, though, the Japanese were just killing it with their performance car styling in the very tail end of the 80s/start of the 90s. The FD RX7 especially has the kind of classic beauty that puts it up with the early E-types.

Hah, so it is. I didn't look super closely at that picture.

In atonement please accept these beautiful high res concept sketches from 1989, Honda's golden era. Sleek

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see how the NSX means no other car from that era can also be cool looking.

No one gives a poo poo what you do and don't like, it's the YOU'RE ALL WRONG AND I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL attitude that's stupid as gently caress.Grow up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The NSX is a boring Honda, generally owned and driven by the worst kind of sperg. The kind that wears driving shoes to go get coffee.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Some people like one thing, some people like other things. Personally all car things are cool to me and I don't really claim to be such and such a brand or type guy. I am however heavily influenced by what was available to me when I was young as far as performance goes and that was 90s Japanese cars. The NSX is amazing as were most of the cars I have owned from the same period. The GNX is also cool in its own way because it was different and was built with a singular purpose.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Sagebrush posted:

i'm going to post more NSX pics now because that's some actual awesome AI car poo poo

It looks like a pissed off Prelude.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'd love to have a Jay Leno-esque garage with an NSX, GNX, SVO, mint 82 Toyota pickup, LP400 Countach, a Ferrari 328, and a big-rear end Colony Park wagon. There is so much rad poo poo from the 80s I can't imagine anyone getting all indignant when someone does or doesn't like a specific thing.

NSX is great, GNX is great and the aura and reverence around them proves that everyone else thinks so too, there is no objectivity.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How about a 691 mile Mclaren, is that awesome AI car poo poo?

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0517-300348/1986-mercury-capri-mclaren/

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love the NSX and the GN/X for different reasons and I think that both look great.

#allcarsarebeautiful

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

I love the NSX and the GN/X for different reasons and I think that both look great.

#allcarsarebeautiful

#beautifulatanyhorsepower

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
My parents had a 87 Grand National. I was in high school at the time. I was allowed to drive it for some reason. It was among the fastest cars on the road at the time. Sure it handled like a Buick(maybe a bit stiffer). It was a little faster than the 350 Z28 Camaros in the 1/4 mile but didn't have any legs out past that... The ridiculous turbo lag was a feature.

Sadly, the car was stolen in 2002, it was found a day and half after it was stolen stripped to the bone. It had 180,000 miles on it and was pretty tired(though it looked good). Insurance payout was $3500.

It was annoying but at the same time, you know you had a cool car when you get asked if it is for sale every time you get gas.

Bogatyr fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 30, 2017

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Please give me all of the ugly Grand Nationals you can find. I will dispose of them properly so u don't have to see them anymore

Hell, I'll take NSXs too because those are also dope

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

Nice

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Powershift posted:

Cool little car, but it amazes me that somebody bought a Capri and then only put 691 miles on it. Not really what I would normally think of as a garage queen type car, even with that extremely limited run of that edition. Wonder how much it will sell for.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Bogatyr posted:

My parents had a 87 Grand National. I was in high school at the time. I was allowed to drive it for some reason. It was among the fastest cars on the road at the time. Sure it handled like a Buick(maybe a bit stiffer). It was a little faster than the 350 Z28 Camaros in the 1/4 mile but didn't have any legs out past that... The ridiculous turbo lag was a feature.

Sadly, the car was stolen in 2002, it was found a day and half after it was stolen stripped to the bone. It had 180,000 miles on it and was pretty tired(though it looked good). Insurance payout was $3500.

It was annoying but at the same time, you know you had a cool car when you get asked if it is for sale every time you get gas.

My folks have an 87 that got stolen in 2001, but we got it back a few months later with only a few changes but now it's on a salvage title so not worth much to anyone but me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fffffff

:eyepop:

:vince:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The countache has not aged well imo. Then again I think most lambos made in the 1990-2013 years look kind of stupid in hindsight

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 30, 2017

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Dislike button posted:

The countache has not aged well imo. Then again I think most lambos made in the 1990-2013 years look kind of stupid in hindsight

i'd agree on those that were iconic in the 80's and 90's, but an early lp400 without the wing and in a colour other than red is just wonderful.

but tastes are subjective, i guess. my favorite lamborghini is the espada :V

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 30, 2017

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've actually always liked the Jarama a whole lot. :shobon:

The GTS especially so.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
All You Can Carry For $59.99 sale at U-Pull-&-Pay Denver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTd0US9ejxM

Some reason I have the mortal kombat soundtrack playing in my head watching this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The droopy "ughhhh let me go back to bed" headlight covers seem like a poor decision.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gomi Day posted:

Oh my god.

Look at that butt.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Arcella posted:

My folks have an 87 that got stolen in 2001, but we got it back a few months later with only a few changes but now it's on a salvage title so not worth much to anyone but me.

Collector value aside. It is a special car that is more than just its numbers. It was that car right off the lot.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sagebrush posted:

Your next move is to post the 80s red wedge picture, we will all be thusly owned further.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Some reason I have the mortal kombat soundtrack playing in my head watching this.

Wife had spine surgery last year and this made her cringe. The two guys with the V8 get and A for effort.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've actually always liked the Jarama a whole lot. :shobon:

I kind of like the weird headlight covers on that, but I think the Alfa Montreal did it even better.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

God drat car styling has really gone downhill. Thanks safety regs.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I kind of like the weird headlight covers on that, but I think the Alfa Montreal did it even better.

This. One of the best-looking cars ever built IMO.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lime Tonics posted:

Was there an ambulance and paramedics hanging out just off camera? Holy crap.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Couldnt you get a buddy, pop the head off and split the load a bit?
Or is there policy against dismantling engines

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well you'd have to pay double wouldn't you?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Crown Hick got an upgrade, spoiler on the next Hot Rod Garage ep probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ufM2e8mq3w

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well you'd have to pay double wouldn't you?

That's the trick, if it's two people's worth of load it's twice the price. 50% discount for being a hulk, back pain be damned.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That junkyard video reminds me, I weighed the spare Landie engine I picked up the other day (we had to handball it from the back of the seller's LR to mine, but luckily only a distance of like two feet). Even without inlet/exhaust manifolds or the alternator and a few other bits... 460lbs for a 70bhp 4-pot. Jesus Christ. That's as much as some old small block V8s.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Lime Tonics posted:

The local you pull it yard I tend to use used to do all you can carry sales, but they wouldn't let you use "chains, straps, ropes, etc." They even tried to give me poo poo about the seat belt I was using to strap a bunch of cooling fans together, when that was what I came to the yard for in the first place. I didn't know they were having the sale until I got there, and I needed a center rear seat belt for my Cutlass that buckled at one end rather than in the middle, as the stock 1970 one did, for my daughter's car seat.
They made it extra hard because it wasn't only a distance thing, you had to go through a 3' wide gate, which f-d up a bunch of guys with rear axles and long stuff. On another trip, I carried out a first-gen RX-7 rear axle, with a wheel and tire attached to one hub. It was tricky muscling it through, but I made it. I saw another guy just make it through with a small pickup bed, with the bed vertical, and him holding it over his head by the front wall.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Seeing one of these (stock, without the arch extensions) in red in the US made my month for me back in 2012

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Gomi Day posted:

i'd agree on those that were iconic in the 80's and 90's, but an early lp400 without the wing and in a colour other than red is just wonderful.

It's like someone ran over a Citroen SM with a steamroller but in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Yes

This is extremely My Kinda poo poo.

Also love the Montreal. Coincidentally my flatmate had a couple over for lunch today who used to own one.