Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I just finished Little Nightmares. The end of that game is weird and confusing to me. Consistently creepy the whole way through though so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

a stephen king novel wouldn't pull the lame-rear end it wasn't actually supernatural it was actually this tech thing that for all intents and purposes is identical to something supernatural card

which other than the generally tasteless and ineffective edgy horror is my huge bugbear.for the series.

Have you read Cell

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

RentACop posted:

Have you read Cell

I can't blame Blockhouse for not reading that one. Bunch of technophobe drivel. Just because Stephen King made something doesn't make it good.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bogart posted:

I can't blame Blockhouse for not reading that one. Bunch of technophobe drivel. Just because Stephen King made something doesn't make it good.

No one said it's good (it isn't) but that spoiler is literally the plot of Cell

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cell is upfront about what it is, at least. What it is doesn't make sense but it's not misleading and then tries to present what's going on as a big reveal.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
prey demo is the most cliche, designed by committee thing. password jokes in a game, never seen that before. i stopped after i went in a room (after seeing the outside scenery) and got raped by three enemies at once. the enemies are really boring looking, as well, though i'm sure there's more variety later. original prey was not great but had some novel ideas instead of just bioshock 4

Relin fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 1, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Relin posted:

prey demo is the most cliche, designed by committee thing. password jokes in a game, never seen that before. i stopped after i went in a room (after seeing the outside scenery) and got raped by three enemies at once. the enemies are really boring looking, as well, though i'm sure there's more variety later. original prey was not great but had some novel ideas instead of just bioshock 4

I'm the guy complaining about a game lacking originality while describing enemies as "raping" him in 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm the guy complaining about a game lacking originality while describing enemies as "raping" him in 2017

:yeah:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Improbable Lobster posted:

:discourse:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Glagha posted:

I just finished Little Nightmares. The end of that game is weird and confusing to me. Consistently creepy the whole way through though so that's nice.

You ate The Lady and took her psychic powers. Then it was time for revenge...:unsmigghh:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You ate The Lady and took her psychic powers. Then it was time for revenge...:unsmigghh:

I mean yeah I caught on to that. It was just a place I didn't expect the game to go. I'm sure there's some kind of allegory going on here what with you spending most of the game running from grotesquely fat people in western style clothing on a ship run by a Japanese woman who is the only person who doesn't look like a monster. There's just a lot of questions raised and I'm glad everything isn't spelled out but I'm still left at the end with a feeling of "what the gently caress did I just play"

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Crabtree posted:

You think there could be a game out of receiving flash backs of your or other people's past through fragmented VHR vision that triggers around a decayed and abandoned city? Like I guess something of Silent Hill *insert groaning here* and Technodrome where you aren't sure whether some occurrences are going to be "mostly" harmless hallucinations, which creatures or people only exist in the past and what's actually out there with you in the ruins? Because I'm wondering if you can have a game about figuring out what happened and why you're here.

I like the idea in general, but I think there's probably a lot missing there. What kind of threats are in your ideal mall? Are there any?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

I mean yeah I caught on to that. It was just a place I didn't expect the game to go. I'm sure there's some kind of allegory going on here what with you spending most of the game running from grotesquely fat people in western style clothing on a ship run by a Japanese woman who is the only person who doesn't look like a monster. There's just a lot of questions raised and I'm glad everything isn't spelled out but I'm still left at the end with a feeling of "what the gently caress did I just play"

There's no Eastern/Western allegory going on. The Lady is plenty monstrous in her own way and the Guests are also wearing kabuki masks and stuff so it's probably just part of the game's aesthetic.

Little Nightmares has a really unsubtle motif of gluttony running throughout but it doesn't look to me like it really tried to take that imagery anywhere beyond "hey this is spooky, huh."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't think there's a lot of allegory or metaphor to be found in Little Nightmares. Pretty sure Tarsier just went with whatever they thought would be spooky and visually distinctive, and they did a pretty good job with that.

For the same reasons, don't think too hard about the ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

1stGear posted:

I don't think there's a lot of allegory or metaphor to be found in Little Nightmares. Pretty sure Tarsier just went with whatever they thought would be spooky and visually distinctive, and they did a pretty good job with that.

For the same reasons, don't think too hard about the ending.

Or just wait for the comic book series out on May 3rd :v:.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I didn't really care about the specifics of the story - Little Nightmares had that whole dreamlike quality to its events anyhow. Pictures and mood informed the story, no specific story beats or anything. There's a LOT intentionally left open, after all.

That said, I think it's an absolute masterpiece in atmospheric storytelling, it looks incredible, and the actual game is, uuuuuh... servicable, I guess. Pity it's so short. I would've loved two or three more chapters with their own antagonists.
I totally expected long-arms dude to come back later on, armless and howling with rage and all :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Torquemadras posted:

I didn't really care about the specifics of the story - Little Nightmares had that whole dreamlike quality to its events anyhow. Pictures and mood informed the story, no specific story beats or anything. There's a LOT intentionally left open, after all.

That said, I think it's an absolute masterpiece in atmospheric storytelling, it looks incredible, and the actual game is, uuuuuh... servicable, I guess. Pity it's so short. I would've loved two or three more chapters with their own antagonists.
I totally expected long-arms dude to come back later on, armless and howling with rage and all :(

I expected that too. He really brought it on himself though, considering he felt that one of the box's struts had been pulled off.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Good to see Little Nightmares getting positive feedback, it led me into ordering a special edition with a neat little figure included. Also a horrific poster surely to be hung on top of my bed, so that I can stare at it every night and fall into peaceful slumber

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

smuh posted:

Good to see Little Nightmares getting positive feedback, it led me into ordering a special edition with a neat little figure included. Also a horrific poster surely to be hung on top of my bed, so that I can stare at it every night and fall into peaceful slumber

I have the Six Edition and can confirm it's very nice. You also get the complete soundtrack on CD, a teaser comic book, and a sticker sheet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

His hands are the only way he's able to navigate around the labyrinth, so he probably starved to death screaming and sobbing to himself in the dark.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I kinda feel that the chefs get off light, compared to the others. Wasn't expecting that considering the rest..

I still feel the developers can learn a lot from Playdead, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
By being overhyped and crawling up their own asses? :v: I wish I could appreciate Playdead's games like y'all do.

Fake Edit: LIMBO was a paradigm shift, absolutely. I just think other games have since usurped that style and anxiety that made it so special and used it for more.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Bogart posted:

By being overhyped and crawling up their own asses? :v: I wish I could appreciate Playdead's games like y'all do.

Fake Edit: LIMBO was a paradigm shift, absolutely. I just think other games have since usurped that style and anxiety that made it so special and used it for more.

Can you name a few? I'm not calling you out, I just can't think of any offhand that really compare that favorably to Limbo and Inside. I feel like spooky platformers either can't capture the same atmosphere or don't integrate their puzzles as well.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Too Shy Guy posted:

Can you name a few? I'm not calling you out, I just can't think of any offhand that really compare that favorably to Limbo and Inside. I feel like spooky platformers either can't capture the same atmosphere or don't integrate their puzzles as well.

Naw, I should've put some examples. Year Walk is the one that comes eminently to mind, but The Swapper, Monochroma, Albert and Otto, The Fall... I mean more atmospheric than just copping the B/W style of LIMBO. Nihilumbra and Closure are a little more on the nose, but don't do it as well.

e: But to keep positive, has anyone with a VR device tried out the Twisted Pixel game? Wilson's Heart?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 1, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel like Limbo has gotten its fair criticism over the years since its release. People recognize it as groundbreaking if flawed.

I wouldn't call Inside over-anything. It got the right amount of praise, criticism, and hype.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I knew nothing about Prey going into the demo, so a few things got me good, but ultimately the enemies were boring and I wasn't really engaged.

The music was rad though.

Also I loved the Alternative timeline reveal. I have a huge pet peeve for fiction stating the date when it's set in the future. "2027 isn't THAT far away and you expect me to believe we have nano-eye augs?" that kind of thing. Then I stumble across a painting of JFK who died in 2013 and that really hooked me into wanting to find out more about the story... But maybe when it's on sale.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Yeah my feeling is Prey'17 is gonna be amazing for everything but the gameplay

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunken Baker posted:

I knew nothing about Prey going into the demo, so a few things got me good, but ultimately the enemies were boring and I wasn't really engaged.

The music was rad though.

Also I loved the Alternative timeline reveal. I have a huge pet peeve for fiction stating the date when it's set in the future. "2027 isn't THAT far away and you expect me to believe we have nano-eye augs?" that kind of thing. Then I stumble across a painting of JFK who died in 2013 and that really hooked me into wanting to find out more about the story... But maybe when it's on sale.

Yeah, there's actually a pretty extensive alternate timeline that they made for it. It's an interesting twist in that ordinarily you'd set the plot of a video game around the big alien invasion, like the original Prey and countless others like XCOM have done. Instead, the big invasion happened decades ago and we won. What we're encountering now is the world created in its aftermath and what happens when they break out of containment.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Drunken Baker posted:

Outlast 2 has been banned in Australia due to strong sexual violence.

Took this from Kotaku. (first google hit)

In one cut-scene in the game ... a female creature prepares Blake for a ritual. She says, "I want to see your true face. Your seed will burn this world." Shortly afterwards, he objects to having psycho-active dust blown into his face, yelling, "Nope! Nope!" before he stumbles into a forest clearing.

His vision blurring, he witnesses what appears to a ritualistic orgy. His wife, Lynn, calls out for his help, saying, "It hurts! Oh god!," as she hangs from chains on a raised platform at the front of the clearing. Humanoid creatures, their skin grey, spattered with blood and scarred, implicity have sex as others pray, or chant, or gesticulate.

One creature has another bent over a rock, thrusting as they implicitly have rear-entry sex, another sits astride the pelvic region of a creature prone on the ground, moving their hips rhythmically as they too implicitly have sex. Two other pairs of creatures in the clearing are also implicitly having sex.

As Blake yells for the creatures to "Get away from her!" a female creature, her greyish breasts bared, pushes him onto his back, holds his arms to the ground and repeatedly thrusts her crotch against him. As Blake protests, saying "No! Stop that!" the creature thrusts again, before placing its face over his midsection and then sitting up and wiping its mouth.

Although much of the contact between the creature and Blake is obscurred, by it taking place below screen, the sexualised surroundings and aggressive behaviour of the creature suggest that it is an assault which is sexual in nature. The Board is of the opinion that this, combined with Blake's objections and distress, constitutes a depiction of implied sexual violence.

In the Board's opinion, the above example constitutes a depiction of implied sexual violence and therefore cannot be accommodated within the R18+ classification category and the game is therefore Refused Classification.

Dang, for a former penal colony full of criminals and rapists, Australia sure doesn't like Rape

Carebearz fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Carebearz posted:

Dang, for a former penal colony full of criminals and rapists, australia sure doesn't like Rape

They shouldn't have said 'Rape' twice.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Bogart posted:

The main problem I have with games that go for a similar vibe as Playdead's style is that, just like with with Playdead games, the endings are usually a big dose of "...wat?". Little Nightmares is no exception. Other than that I don't find them particularly crawling up their own asses I guess? And especially in the case of INSIDE it's incredibly well made and I guess that is a thing I really apreciate.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Skyscraper posted:

I like the idea in general, but I think there's probably a lot missing there. What kind of threats are in your ideal mall? Are there any?

I guess the better thing to do would be to isolate it to one very big but dead mall. With enemies, I'd like it best if there was shapes that were defined by flicker and static effects outlining a true ghost image over the potential enemy and cluing you into what you may have to be aware of and avoid if they are close enough/can attack you. Like there are a several general black shadow figures of humanoid shapes, but the identifier and their methods of attack are portrayed in the static, lines and distorted images that flow over and around them. But being creatures of fragments, how you survive them isn't necessarily fighting them. Its finding pieces of footage that they are part of using that to your advantage.

Like say you were exploring a fashion store to get something, but there are several ghosts wandering around that are too protective of that fragment you want to sneak to it. By locating certain security desks and playing tapes that you find, you could piece together a memory that just so happens to look like the store your target's in. By making the shadows follow the memory, let's say women walking down a walk way to show off dresses - or in your case agroing all the shadows to path down the ruins of the walkway, you can get them to complete the memory and pacify the area by making it stay with-in the past long enough for you to either collect more fragments or watch the whole scene unfold to learn more potential cues or clues you can use.

I guess what I want to also see if you can make a horror game centered around loss and nostalgia from seeing something familiar from your past in its current urban decay. Not so much like the loss of a true post-apocalyptic sense of outright loss of society, but more as in the decay of culture or general deterioration of a city or town.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 2, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mindblast posted:

The main problem I have with games that go for a similar vibe as Playdead's style is that, just like with with Playdead games, the endings are usually a big dose of "...wat?". Little Nightmares is no exception.

Little Nightmares' ending is prosaic to the point of dullness, I have no idea why people seem to have so much trouble grasping it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Oxxidation posted:

Little Nightmares' ending is prosaic to the point of dullness, I have no idea why people seem to have so much trouble grasping it.

No one doesn't grasp the ending to Little Nightmares. It's just a bizarre way to end that game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Crabtree posted:

I guess what I want to also see if you can make a horror game centered around loss and nostalgia from seeing something familiar from your past in its current urban decay. Not so much like the loss of a true post-apocalyptic sense of outright loss of society, but more as in the decay of culture or general deterioration of a city or town.
Huh, I could see that. I don't think it'll ever happen, but the idea is an awful lot better than most of what HarshlyCritical reviews. I'd kickstart that.

As long as we're talking about games that won't happen, I want to see a version of Qix with the completely abstract monster attacking a hyper-realistic city, and chemtrails being the lines that box it in.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Skyscraper posted:

Huh, I could see that. I don't think it'll ever happen, but the idea is an awful lot better than most of what HarshlyCritical reviews. I'd kickstart that.

As long as we're talking about games that won't happen, I want to see a version of Qix with the completely abstract monster attacking a hyper-realistic city, and chemtrails being the lines that box it in.

Probably not, the biggest hitch to the idea is making sure you can make the enginie look like you're watching from distorted VHS footage and of course having likely vaporwave/future funk sound track to make sure it sticks as some kind of weird music video horror game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

No one doesn't grasp the ending to Little Nightmares. It's just a bizarre way to end that game.

It really isn't, though! You are a vulnerable innocent child lost in a Scary Place that's dominated by a motif of hunger. The child spends the game trying to escape the Scary Place while steadily being overcome by the same malevolent hunger that's getting all the other children eaten by its residents. In the end, she escapes by giving into her cravings completely and usurping the place's ruler, taking revenge on the inhabitants while at the same time becoming indistinguishable (at least spiritually) from the monsters themselves. Goal attained, innocence lost, roll credits.

If anything one of my biggest complaints is how by-the-numbers it is for a finale.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The ending to INSIDE was masterful. Had me on the loving floor. I know a lot of gamers didn't like it because a lot of gamers are completely unfamiliar with abstraction or ambiguity and they also tend to hate things they're unfamiliar with.

Is the Little Nightmares ending really comparable? Or is just also abstract and ambiguous? Because if it's anything near the quality of INSIDE I might have to play it sooner than I thought.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yup, that's why, because you're the refined elite of gaming, congratulations, the black husserl. Truly, nobody can compare to you, the arbiter of taste. Oh, Braid? Goes wonderful with a Chianti. This pretension gets us nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The final moments of Inside were great. There's little narrative structure to the game but as vignettes of individual moments it's perfect. And if Little Nightmares keeps upping the ante then I'm sure I'll enjoy it as well.