Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i thought it was gonna be like some da vinci code thing where 15 is a secret nazi number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

Holy gently caress you are naive as all hell.

Iceland's banks do not deal in the global currency nor are their trade contracts as closely tied to the rest of the world as the US is. Iceland also uses the Nordic Model for economics while the US does not.

This is some Laissez-faire poo poo jfc.

the banks never deserved to be bailed out. if anyone did the people did. but since that was impossible, the banks who hosed everything up should've just collapsed. it probably would've allowed for a faster recovery since we'd be free of the ultracorrupt banks we have now that drag down our economy with graft. just like with iceland.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 30, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm in fact for a higher minimum wage, whixh is why I oppose any movement for a higher minimum wage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_yOc5MUrz4

I wonder how many of the people who think that Bernie isn't LGBT supportive enough are actually LGBT. Because the criticisms have the feel of a "staunch ally" fighting the crusades without a clue. It's like the men who kowtow to feminists by saying the reason Hillary lost is because she's a woman and too many of the other men, the ones who aren't staunch allies, haven't gotten over that yet.

I'm not interested in fighting with gay activists for queer rights, or women fighting for womens rights, etc. They have a right to their prerogative. But I sure have a bone to pick with "allies" because a number of them seem to be in the business of flagellating themselves and everyone like them for approval.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Brainiac Five posted:

A cool thing about the $15/hr minimum wage proposal is that no Bernout can explain why that number was picked.

oooh me me me it was picked because it's a sizable increase ok thanks

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

i don't really buy the whole "NAFTA is necessary and phasing it out will doom us all" bs.

I literally just posted two articles on why it will. And two scientific papers.

Condiv posted:

it's an opinion piece, of course it takes a side. also, provide examples of the straight-up lies?

US and Canada have prospered greatly from NAFTA and it was ultimately a success. Mexico not so much, but that's a separate argument.

The jobs won't come back if you repeal NAFTA, Condiv. Even discounting automation. Seriously dude this is loving fact. Ask anyone with an economics degree.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

Beautiful optics here. I can hear the sneer in your voice and feel the spittle.

This post is great irony. By far the most condescending posters in this thread have been the people attacking leftists and defending Democrats/Clinton.

Someone in another thread pointed out something that I think best articulates what bothers me the most about posts like this (the posts sarcastically attacking and condescending to leftists). A lot of these people resort solely to sarcastic attacks on others but never actually reveal their own ideology and say what their specific political goals actually are. I think this is because hiding your own views is a form of rhetorical defense. If you never actually articulate your own ideology, you can always claim that other people are straw-manning you. On some level these people may also realize that a lot of their real views have clear problems that can easily be attacked.

For whatever flaws they might have, at least the leftists in threads like this usually make their ideology clear and explicit, instead of just cowardly talking down to others without even revealing their own views.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 30, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brainiac Five posted:

Ah yes, the well-known racism that afflicts white people. I've been longing for more posts about how "centrists" attack white people, those are always fun.

LMAO.

Famously post-Soviet people are the same as American WASPS.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

This post is great irony. By far the most condescending posters in this thread have been the people attacking leftists and defending Democrats/Clinton.

Whoever described them as smugly wrong nailed it. They're so loving sure of themselves despite the massive losses they suffered.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

These kinds of accusations suggest that you are unwilling to listen to anyone that disagrees with you

All I had before your most recent post explicitly talking about $22/hr with supplementary housing and childcare was "Do you even know why the figure is $15/hr?" and

Brainiac Five posted:

"$15/hr minimum wage is insufficient, for several reasons, one of which is that it disproportionately benefits white people due to higher unemployment for other racial groups and a higher percentage of black-market or grey-market labor."

The Bernie understands this as a conspiracy to annihilate the poor saintly white kulak/labor-aristocrat class.

from page 63 and

Brainiac Five posted:

This level of intellectual and moral laziness is a good case for why Bernie or Busters need to be put in reeducation camps. No wonder you guys come out with gems like "speaking has no use-value" and "raising minimum wage will end police brutality".

from page 61, so pardon me for not waiting until you finished holding the "Do you even know why?" question over Majoran's head. We agree with one another on every policy that's been mentioned. I don't know why we were even debating anymore except for debating the debating tactics.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

I'm in fact for a higher minimum wage, whixh is why I oppose any movement for a higher minimum wage.

Well, Europeans are well-known for being genocidal degenerates and congenital fascists, so I'm not surprised you'd say such a thing, especially with such poor spelling.

Ytlaya posted:

Someone in another thread pointed out something that I think best articulates what bothers me the most about posts like this (the posts sarcastically attacking and condescending to leftists). A lot of these people resort solely to sarcastic attacks on others but never actually reveal their own ideology and say what their specific political goals actually are. I think this is because hiding your own views is a form of rhetorical defense. If you never actually articulate your own ideology, you can always claim that other people are straw-manning you. On some level these people may also realize that a lot of their real views have clear problems that can easily be attacked.

For whatever flaws they might have, at least the leftists in threads like this usually make their ideology clear and explicit, instead of just cowardly talking down to others without even revealing their own views.

Actually, I think insisting that the average person is too stupid to have opinions or an ideology is infinitely more condescending than anything I or anyone else has written, by virtue of that fact that I expected you to be able to comprehend it. So, in the end, you are infinitely more condescending than am I, my man.

steinrokkan posted:

Famously post-Soviet people are the same as American WASPS.

Y'all are still gweilo. :shrug:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

oooh me me me it was picked because it's a sizable increase ok thanks

No I think there was a grand plan around choosing a nice round number, I'm actually smart.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

the banks never deserved to be bailed out. if anyone did the people did. but since that was impossible, the banks who hosed everything up should've just collapsed.

... whoah buddy.

uhh give me a second I need to process this cause wow dude.

Wow.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

oh god... 15 is the atomic number of phosphorus... i cant believe this... white phosphorus

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

galenanorth posted:

All I had before your most recent post explicitly talking about $22/hr with supplementary housing and childcare was "Do you even know why the figure is $15/hr?" and

from page 63 and

from page 61, so pardon me for not waiting until you finished holding the "Do you even know why?" question over Majoran's head.

You're interpreting "this is not enough" as "we should do nothing", and "minimum wage would not solve police brutality" as "no more wire hangers minimum wage increases, ever!", so I would actually be more justified in assuming you believe $15/hr minimum wage would solve all problems everywhere than the assumptions you made of me. Think of that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, Europeans are well-known for being genocidal degenerates and congenital fascists, so I'm not surprised you'd say such a thing, especially with such poor spelling.

Minimum wage confirmed for racism and fascism

After all would minimum wage help Obama make more money?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Calibanibal posted:

oh god... 15 is the atomic number of phosphorus... i cant believe this... white phosphorus

Rich people and Effectronica should be burned alive

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Brainiac Five posted:

You're interpreting "this is not enough" as "we should do nothing", and "minimum wage would not solve police brutality" as "no more wire hangers minimum wage increases, ever!", so I would actually be more justified in assuming you believe $15/hr minimum wage would solve all problems everywhere than the assumptions you made of me. Think of that.

Your lovely candidate was advocating for 12 dollars. In case you aren't aware, 12 is a smaller number than 15, so her plan was less good

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Minimum wage confirmed for racism and fascism

After all would minimum wage help Obama make more money?

Man I dunno what goes through your head that makes you think posts like these will deflect accusations of racism, that are plainly a play on Europeans sneering at Americans, something which you are quite guilty of yourself. In fact, it makes you seem more like a racist to anyone who isn't inculcated in the Bernie faith.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

I literally just posted two articles on why it will. And two scientific papers.

US and Canada have prospered greatly from NAFTA and it was ultimately a success. Mexico not so much, but that's a separate argument.

The jobs won't come back if you repeal NAFTA, Condiv. Even discounting automation. Seriously dude this is loving fact. Ask anyone with an economics degree.

your articles talk about repealing nafta raising prices, which is just about the dumbest complaint ever. people need to be paid more and we can't do that with NAFTA in effect and the rich able to pit the poor of mexico and the poor of the US against each other so effectively.

and also lol at that scientific paper seeing we need the TPP and more TPPs. thanks, no.

also, i doubt the "the jobs won't come back" doomsaying. the people who say that never try to bring them back and in fact help outsource more and more jobs.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

15 minus 1... is 14. 14 words. i cant believe the bernouts almost fooled me

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Europeans are just better people, deal with it and stop whining about your inferiority. I mean I realize you are just a mongrel, but you can still at least pretend to have a semblance of dignity.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SSNeoman posted:

... whoah buddy.

uhh give me a second I need to process this cause wow dude.

Wow.

oh, i should be happy they got trillions of dollars and everyone else got hosed over. we got to pay for their idiot mistakes, and our economy has suffered cause of it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Condiv posted:

the banks never deserved to be bailed out. if anyone did the people did. but since that was impossible, the banks who hosed everything up should've just collapsed. it probably would've allowed for a faster recovery since we'd be free of the ultracorrupt banks we have now that drag down our economy with graft. just like with iceland.

Some rear end in a top hat bank, I think Bank of America, used customer deposits as leverage for their investment debt, because if the shareholders ate everyone's money it would be up to the government to restore it through the FDIC, and it was far more than the government could restore through those channels. The recession is now so long ago I don't remember which ratfuckers did this, but I think it was BofA covering their Meryll Lynch wounds.

The answer is not to destroy banks but to insist on a regulatory wall between investment banking and consumer banking, but third way Dems feel that's unnecessary and that with enough oversight this incestuous relationship can continue. Yes, that sounds about as successful as the IRS's inability to keep up with billionaires and their accountants on how to hide and swindle money out of the country's tax fund.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

Actually, I think insisting that the average person is too stupid to have opinions or an ideology is infinitely more condescending than anything I or anyone else has written, by virtue of that fact that I expected you to be able to comprehend it. So, in the end, you are infinitely more condescending than am I, my man.

...what? What are you talking about*? When did I talk about the average person being too stupid to have an ideology? My post was talking about posters in these forums who deliberately hide their own ideology as a form of preemptive defense and do nothing but attack other people.

* Like, I'm not saying this to imply you're being dumb, I legitimately have no loving idea what you're talking about.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

your articles talk about repealing nafta raising prices, which is just about the dumbest complaint ever. people need to be paid more and we can't do that with NAFTA in effect and the rich able to pit the poor of mexico and the poor of the US against each other so effectively.

and also lol at that scientific paper seeing we need the TPP and more TPPs. thanks, no.

also, i doubt the "the jobs won't come back" doomsaying. the people who say that never try to bring them back and in fact help outsource more and more jobs.

Oh sure, we could bring back manufacturing jobs by deindustrializing the rest of the world by repeated violence, or by destroying automation and doing everything by hand. I'm sure UAW and USW and UMWA members would gladly go along with that.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Your lovely candidate was advocating for 12 dollars. In case you aren't aware, 12 is a smaller number than 15, so her plan was less good

So what is this post meant to accomplish, apart from psychosexual gratification on your part?

Calibanibal posted:

steinrokkan posted:

Europeans are just better people, deal with it and stop whining about your inferiority.

steinrokkan posted:

Rich people and Effectronica should be burned alive

Take a look at the level of politics people like Majorian and Ytlaya think should be the future of the world.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Craptacular! posted:

Some rear end in a top hat bank, I think Bank of America, used customer deposits as leverage for their investment debt, because if the shareholders ate everyone's money it would be up to the government to restore it through the FDIC, and it was far more than the government could restore through those channels. The recession is now so long ago I don't remember which ratfuckers did this, but I think it was BofA covering their Meryll Lynch wounds.

The answer is not to destroy banks but to insist on a regulatory wall between investment banking and consumer banking, but third way Dems feel that's unnecessary and that with enough oversight this incestuous relationship can continue. Yes, that sounds about as successful as the IRS's inability to keep up with billionaires and their accountants on how to hide and swindle money out of the country's tax fund.

i hate so much that we bailed them out, didn't break them up, shielded them from prosecution, and now they're even more powerful than before and they're playing idiot games with the economy again

also i doubt it was completely impossible for us to protect people's moneys while letting banks fall on their own swords wrt debt. we managed to find a way just to lob free money at banks at let them keep repossessing houses

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 30, 2017

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Let not the perfect be the enemy of the bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brainiac Five posted:

Take a look at the level of politics people like Majorian and Ytlaya think should be the future of the world.

Lol at this fragility displayed by an American mongrel subhuman.

Rule Yugoslavia

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

Bernie originally wanted it to be increased to $14.88

bernie.. C'mon

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Craptacular! posted:

The answer is not to destroy banks .

:wrong:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Homeless Friend posted:

bernie.. C'mon

what the gently caress, bernie?? ytala, majorian... this is the man you wanted to be president.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Homeless Friend posted:

bernie.. C'mon

He decided to increase it because while it would remove the symbolic meaning, the higher wage would simply kill more minorities.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Brainiac Five posted:

People aren't stupid, they're poorly informed. And to paraphrase Nelson Mandela, the people who are poorly informed are often arrogant and aggressive with the beliefs they've cobbled together.

You can be very educated and also be poorly informed. And frankly, I think that's what's going on here.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

...what? What are you talking about*? When did I talk about the average person being too stupid to have an ideology? My post was talking about posters in these forums who deliberately hide their own ideology as a form of preemptive defense and do nothing but attack other people.

* Like, I'm not saying this to imply you're being dumb, I legitimately have no loving idea what you're talking about.

Well, it was in the previous thread, which I don't care to dig through to dig up your posts about how the average voter is a moron. If you don't remember your posts well enough to understand what I am accusing you of, I guess that suggests you're too inculcated in that ideological belief to discuss it.

steinrokkan posted:

Lol at this fragility displayed by an American mongrel subhuman.

Rule Yugoslavia

Talk about how I'm a cosmopolitan coastal elite next, child of collaborators.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brainiac Five posted:

Talk about how I'm a cosmopolitan coastal elite next, child of collaborators.

My granddad hosed Blondi the Hitler Dog, and out came your mom.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I personally use a credit union, but I wouldn't hold it against anyone for using a bank. I only ever used a bank because I was moving over 500 miles, and wanted the kind of ubiquitous chain-store experience of having branches where I was going and leaving.

And then I left them again when they began loving me to spite government regulators.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Steven Mnuchin: Hahahahah you are like a little baby! Watch this

Craptacular! posted:

You'll hear no argument from me, though to the Dems credit Dodd-Frank has helped a lot. If for no other reason then because banks need to leave a rainforest's worth of paper detailing their scams which did a lot to curtail the more egregious assholes. We need way, way more loving regulation though yes.

Also Condiv,

quote:

Iceland's recovery has become a myth wrapped in a legend inside a legend. It let its banks fail, slashed household debt, let its currency collapse, put capital controls in place—and now it's doing better than those countries that did austerity! In reality, Iceland let its banks fail for foreigners, wrote down household debt only after their laws had made it worse, had no choice but to watch the krona plummet, but, at the same time, tried to keep it from plunging too far by limiting how much money people could take out of the country

We absolutely cannot do this with US dollar. Like this is to economics what turning off gravity is to physics. That last line is an interesting idea though.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 30, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

Bragging about being from a long line of dogfuckers just to make the spiciest your mom joke they have in Gaybashery, Bohemia is quite the tactic.

Craptacular! posted:

People aren't stupid, they're poorly informed. And to paraphrase Nelson Mandela, the people who are poorly informed are often arrogant and aggressive with the beliefs they've cobbled together.

You can be very educated and also be poorly informed. And frankly, I think that's what's going on here.

Alternatively, people have ideological beliefs about the way the world works, which leads them to support, eg, Republicans, Dianne Feinsteins, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

steinrokkan posted:

Nice meltdown in the "The Democrats are a waste" thread

• Locked thread