Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
I'll just leave this here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_fallacy

(ironically, a formal fallacy)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

twodot posted:

Yeah but trees grow hosed up branches because biology is weird. Why is a person constructing arguments that irrelevant to their own point?
Well, when arguing with racists and sexists, I often call them idiots and assholes and speculate on the personal failings that led them to their beliefs, while refuting their arguments.

I do this because I am a human being, and not a DVD of an Aaron Sorkin drama that grew arms and hands and learned how to type.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
we should just let an a.i run the world like deus ex

we can probably just run it with an R next to its name or something and it would win world dictator elections

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

twodot posted:

Yeah but trees grow hosed up branches because biology is weird. Why is a person constructing arguments that are irrelevant to their own point?

Because people are people, not machines for producing syllogisms.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, when arguing with racists and sexists, I often call them idiots and assholes and speculate on the personal failings that led them to their beliefs, while refuting their arguments.

I do this because I am a human being, and not a DVD of an Aaron Sorkin drama that grew arms and hands and learned how to type.
Cool. If you refute their arguments using fallacies, then your refutations are dumb.

steinrokkan posted:

Because people are people, not machines for producing syllogisms.
So, what you're saying is that people mistakenly include invalid arguments into their broad arguments, and it's our responsibility to spot where invalid arguments were mistakenly introduced, and not their responsibility to not include irrelevant invalid arguments?

Is "people shouldn't make dumb arguments" really so controversial?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
twodot, since you already committed the argument from fallacy fallacy it would lead us to believe your original claim is false

twodot posted:

Can people make not dumb arguments? people are dumb, ergo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

twodot posted:

What's an example of an obscure technicality which can make an argument wrong, but we should still think the argument is right?

I don't know dude, it's too early in the morning for this and I don't really care.:wtc:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

twodot posted:

So, what you're saying is that people mistakenly include invalid arguments into their broad arguments, and it's our responsibility to spot where invalid arguments were mistakenly introduced, and not their responsibility to not include irrelevant invalid arguments?

Yes, if you consider the point of a discussion to be a mutually productive exchange and refining of ideas, rather than trying to get a "gotcha!" on the other guy

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

twodot, since you already committed the argument from fallacy fallacy it would lead us to believe your original claim is false
What's my original claim?

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, if you consider the point of a discussion to be a mutually productive exchange and refining of ideas, rather than trying to get a "gotcha!" on the other guy
How in the world are we going to refine ideas without agreeing that we shouldn't engage in fallacious reasoning, noting when it happens, and discarding arguments that rely on it?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

twodot posted:

Ok, but if the Arabian Keyhole fallacy is a fallacy, and your argument contains it, then your argument is invalid. That's how arguments and fallacies work.

It's not how fallacies work and is in fact a fallacy itself.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's not how fallacies work and is in fact a fallacy itself.
No, that claim is definitely right, the argument is invalid. It doesn't mean the conclusion of the argument is false (the fallacy you noted), just that the argument can't support the conclusion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

twodot posted:

How in the world are we going to refine ideas without agreeing that we shouldn't engage in fallacious reasoning, noting when it happens, and discarding arguments that rely on it?

It's OK to point out a fallacy and correct it, but not to use it as an excuse to dismiss the other person entirely. That's what this all has been about. See a typical example:

Debater: "*five paragraphs of researched arguments*, but honestly I don't think a slime-faced motherfucker like you will get what I'm trying to say here, so here's to wasted effort"
Ted Cruz: "Um, eh, um, at the end there, that's a typical example of ad hominem, therefore I don't even have to acknowledge the body of your speech, and I'm automatically the winner"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

It's OK to point out a fallacy and correct it, but not to use it as an excuse to dismiss the other person entirely. That's what this all has been about. See a typical example:

Debater: "*five paragraphs of researched arguments*, but honestly I don't think a slime-faced motherfucker like you will get what I'm trying to say here, so here's to wasted effort"
Ted Cruz: "Um, eh, um, at the end there, that's a typical example of ad hominem, therefore I don't even have to acknowledge the body of your speech, and I'm automatically the winner"
That's not an ad hominem argument (edit: I guess more generally, that's not fallacious reasoning). You got another example of an argument that contains a fallacy but we should still treat as a good argument?

twodot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 1, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, it was in the previous thread, which I don't care to dig through to dig up your posts about how the average voter is a moron. If you don't remember your posts well enough to understand what I am accusing you of, I guess that suggests you're too inculcated in that ideological belief to discuss it.

My posts discussed how the average voter generally decides to vote based upon things other than the specify policies advocated by a politician. People usually vote more upon a vague conception of who a politician is and what they represent, or possibly based on a specific single issue they strongly care about (like abortion, for example). I don't think it is remotely controversial to say that most people are not aware of the majority of either presidential candidates' platforms.

This initially came up in response to someone (I think maybe JeffersonClay, not sure) who was implying that success or failure of a politician is a direct referendum on the policies they espouse. This is clearly nonsense, and the fact that a politician fails doesn't imply all their policies are unpopular with the public. Likewise, a politician succeeding doesn't mean their policies are preferred/popular (this can be either because most people aren't aware of a specific policy, or because they merely think the policy is good/acceptable but would also be okay with a different policy).

None of this should be controversial.

edit: By the way, one thing I'm just going to come out and explicitly admit is that I do have a bias in favor of leftist views and am more willing to tolerate stupidity coming from leftists than an equal level of stupidity coming from mainstream Democrats or Republicans. This is for a couple reasons:

- I generally still agree with the actual things leftists want to do. When I don't agree I'll explicitly say so (like if someone talks about how voting for Stein in a swing state is a good idea or something), but most people I see post in this thread haven't articulated any specific positions I disagree with, even if they sometimes use irrational arguments in pursuit of those goals.

- Leftists do not currently hold any power to speak of. Mainstream Democrats and Republicans both have power, so their mistakes are more important than the mistakes of comparatively powerless political groups. If Leftists began to gain actual power, I would become far more critical of the things they do and say.

A specific example is the people who talk about how the tide is turning against Democrats and it's only a matter of time until mainstream Democrats are driven from power. I don't really think this is necessarily the case; while there's certainly been increasing left-wing sentiment among Democrats, it's a stretch to say it'll overtake mainstream liberal views, and mainstream Democrats still hold all the real power. But I don't believe people who believe this are really causing any harm. Passion/anger is good and useful. The more people who get angry, the more perceived momentum (which can then turn into real momentum) a movement gets. I don't think this sort of thing drives away the sort of people who would ever become leftists in the first place*, so I don't see it as a problem.

*A good analogy here is the whole thing where people who are offended by angry feminists would never have been good allies to begin with. The same applies to leftism; if someone is put off by people being angry about economic injustice, they would never have been good allies in the first place.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 1, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

twodot posted:

That's not an ad hominem argument (edit: I guess more generally, that's not fallacious reasoning). You got another example of an argument that contains a fallacy but we should still treat as a good argument?
Yes twodot if each and every single point I make contains a logical fallacy then the entire line of argument is invalid, but that's not what I meant and you probably know that. The world is not your high school debate team, that's the loving point.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

shut the gently caress up about fallacies or i'm probating everyone

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Condiv posted:

right. having skimmed through it, counsel for the dems is still claiming the primary was fair, but that even if it wasn't that's ok because the dems charter is as binding as the campaign promises a politician makes. i personally would like our charter to be worth more than toilet paper to the democratic party, but they're arguing it's nothing but toilet paper right now

So they leaned nothing from the O.J. "If I Did It" Fiasco

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

politics for liberals is an exercise in establishing their moral superiority, not of taking and wielding state power. lenin was right

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is what has me worried the most. If they don't even care about winning elections, even pragmatism can't save us because the goal isn't to get elected. You can see this when people complain about obvious blunders and the instinct is to either say that it doesn't matter, is "all part of the plan and you shouldn't question your betters," or try and deflect to the Republicans. It definitely feels there is a powerful faction of Democrats that actively don't care about losing elections as long as they remain in power within the party.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 1, 2017

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Iron Law of Institutions. Some people would rather the party fail and maintain their powerful positions than have it succeed and they lose their positions

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

KomradeX posted:

The Iron Law of Institutions. Some people would rather the party fail and maintain their powerful positions than have it succeed and they lose their positions
Yeah, it's not just about vanity. At the end of the day, these people need to keep their jobs and be able to send their kids to good schools in an economy that's going to hell in a handbasket for everyone else. Wingnut welfare is not solely the province of the Republican party.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

KomradeX posted:

Is it just me or is the GOP less vulnerable to this? I don't really follow their internal politics that much because their ideas are utter poo poo, but from the outside they seem more responsive to their rank and file than the Democrats.

It's why when people ask, all in a huff, "what, you want a Tea Party for the left?" it seems like the obvious answer is "um, yeah? duh?" As though the problem with the Tea Party isn't what they stand for, but that they forced the GOP to heel.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah, if their policies weren't evil, the Republican party would be pretty awesome.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Is it just me or is the GOP less vulnerable to this? I don't really follow their internal politics that much because their ideas are utter poo poo, but from the outside they seem more responsive to their rank and file than the Democrats.

It's why when people ask, all in a huff, "what, you want a Tea Party for the left?" it seems like the obvious answer is "um, yeah? duh?" As though the problem with the Tea Party isn't what they stand for, but that they forced the GOP to heel.

I don't know if they're less vulnerable to this as they actually have no problem using state power to actually maintain power by hook or by crook. And the Democrats are morons that believe fan fiction is real

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kilroy posted:

It's an old saying I stole from someone on twitter: Republicans fear their base, Democrats despise theirs

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

icantfindaname posted:

politics for liberals is an exercise in establishing their moral superiority, not of taking and wielding state power. lenin was right

Boy, they seem to be really bad at doing both, because the moral argument for voting democrats nowadays is 'hey at least we're not trump' is a really weak moral argument.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Kilroy posted:

This is absolutely true, because the only real qualification for voting GOP is, "Do you piss off liberals?"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

KomradeX posted:

I don't know if they're less vulnerable to this as they actually have no problem using state power to actually maintain power by hook or by crook. And the Democrats are morons that believe fan fiction is real
Oh sure, they'll weaken America to strengthen their own party, but what I mean is they seem less afflicted by a leadership which will happily gently caress over the GOP if it means they get to keep their power within it. I don't see that being as big a problem for them.

Like, a lot of hay is made about what a dumb shithead Ted Cruz is, but really his actions were exactly the sort of thing you see from Democrats all the time.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Oh sure, they'll weaken America to strengthen their own party, but what I mean is they seem less afflicted by a leadership which will happily gently caress over the GOP if it means they get to keep their power within it. I don't see that being as big a problem for them.

Like, a lot of hay is made about what a dumb shithead Ted Cruz is, but really his actions were exactly the sort of thing you see from Democrats all the time.

Well you do have small things like the Suicide Caucus and the Establishment not getting along, but in the end the Republicans know what they have to do keep their base happy so they can continue to rob public coffers and benefit the rich and Democrats don't even care about hiding how corrupt they are anymore. And not doing things to keep their base happy. Never forget the chorus of moderate dems who all through the Obama years said gently caress you, we can win without you. But they just kept losing over elections

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cross-post from c-spam:

here's a vox article about wall street freaking out about american airlines giving their employees raises:

https://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/4/29/15471634/american-airlines-raise

quote:

“This is frustrating. Labor is being paid first again,” wrote Citi analyst Kevin Crissey in a widely circulated note. “Shareholders get leftovers.”

Indeed, major financial players were so outraged by American’s decision to pay higher wages that they punished airline stocks across the board. American itself took it hardest on the chin, of course, but the consensus among stock analysts was that higher pay at American could signal higher pay at other airlines too, with negative consequences for the overall industry.
JP Morgan’s Jamie Baker was even more scathing than Crissey. "We are troubled by AAL's wealth transfer of nearly $1 billion to its labor groups,” he wrote, suggesting that the move was not just contestable as a matter of business strategy, but somehow obviously illegitimate.
By that view, the raise represents American making a demonstration of good faith to its workforce to keep people happy and set the table for an eventual negotiation.

Baker, however, takes a darker view, saying that not only does the raise increase costs, it “establishes a worrying precedent, in our view, both for American and the industry."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Condiv posted:

cross-post from c-spam:

here's a vox article about wall street freaking out about american airlines giving their employees raises:

https://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/4/29/15471634/american-airlines-raise

lol matty is such a loving weasel, he's flipped back to the left now after the obama-hillary ship he was on exploded and sank

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 1, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Guillotines

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

When you think about it, it's brilliant that the GOP took gun culture for themselves.

Leftists will never rise up in armed rebellion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Sorry, missed the post saying not to talk about fallacies anymore.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 1, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Mister Facetious posted:

When you think about it, it's brilliant that the GOP took gun culture for themselves.

Leftists will never rise up in armed rebellion.

I wouldn't place much faith in armed rebellion, even if there were a leftist gun culture. At least not at this point in history; the government has such a monopoly of force, and it's unlikely that enough of the military would break off to support a left-wing uprising.

e: Credit where credit's due, the Dems did a fine job of holding the line with regard to the budget. God-willing, they've learned at least some lessons from how the Republicans ran Congress from the minority.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 1, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm not talking about a rebellion against government, but a rebellion against corporations.

Labor fought and died for their rights a century ago. They need to again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

icantfindaname posted:

lol matty is such a loving weasel, he's flipped back to the left now after the obama-hillary ship he was on exploded and sank

i didn't pay much attention to him during the election, what'd he say?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Condiv posted:

i didn't pay much attention to him during the election, what'd he say?

Basically that Hillary has never been or done anything wrong, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm not talking about a rebellion against government, but a rebellion against corporations.

Labor fought and died for their rights a century ago. They need to again.

what happens when they fight and die, but don't achieve their rights? seems to be a recurring trend

• Locked thread