Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Pakled posted:

The only thing worse than having your stadium named by a corporate sponsor is for the corporate sponsor to be as unglamorous as Kroger

I think the worst stadium deal of all time was Troy playing at "Movie Gallery Stadium."

Of course I'm sure Troy athletics needed the cash, I'm not sure Kentucky needs the cash, what with the NCAA tournament payouts and SEC payouts.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

When was the last SEC stadium to get a name change before this? Adding to one of the hyphenated ones?

UF just changed their stadium last fall to Steve Spurrier-Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (loving huge mouthful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

an adult beverage posted:

UF just changed their stadium last fall to Steve Spurrier-Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (loving huge mouthful).

Don't forget Ron Zook Field at Doak Campbell Stadium!

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

swickles posted:

Don't forget Ron Zook Field at Doak Campbell Stadium!

I was there at the christening, they carried Zook off the field on their shoulders! I'll never forget :911:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I was there at the christening, they carried Zook off the field on their shoulders! I'll never forget :911:

Comeuppance for the Swindle in the Swamp. gently caress you PK Sam.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/report-commonwealth-stadium-will-be-renamed-kroger-field/

Kentucky's sold the naming rights to their stadium. It will now be known as Kroger Field.

Considering how often they'll get killed there, Kentucky now has the official Murder Kroger.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

We lost to a Driskel :negative:

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I know it's basketball which doesn't count, but Kentucky doesn't even have the worst corporate naming deal in the state as long as the KFC Yum! Center is around.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

We do the Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium but nobody ever notices those but the home fans I think.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Georgia possibly considered hyphenating Sanford Stadium to include Wally Butts.
Y'all know the story about the Wally Butts/Bear Bryant pseudo-scandal? I'm guessing Georgia fans do. Long story short, a week or two before Alabama and Georgia were set to play in uhh time to actually Google this ... 1962, some random guy in Atlanta picks up his phone to make a call and, through the magic of wires and stuff, cuts in to the middle of a conversation between Butts and Bryant. He claims to overhear Butts seemingly giving Bryant the details of some plays or his gameplan or something, and after Georgia loses 35-0, goes to the Saturday Evening Post saying it was a fix. They publish a far-overreaching story about college football being rigged; Butts and Bryant sue and win big, and the case eventually produces some significant doctrine on libel law. Great book on it called "Fumble" if you want some offseason reading.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Scarf posted:

Considering how often they'll get killed there, Kentucky now has the official Murder Kroger.

NCAA Kickoff Week One: Kentucky now has the official Murder Kroger

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Pakled posted:

The only thing worse than having your stadium named by a corporate sponsor is for the corporate sponsor to be as unglamorous as Kroger
Honestly, I'm not sure if a corporate sponsor is that much worse than just naming it for a booster with really deep pockets. You're taking money for it either way, and it's probably easier to terminate a sponsorship contract than try to erase some horrible racist/rapist/pedophile booster's name.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Incoherence posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure if a corporate sponsor is that much worse than just naming it for a booster with really deep pockets. You're taking money for it either way, and it's probably easier to terminate a sponsorship contract than try to erase some horrible racist/rapist/pedophile booster's name.

Eh, I figure a human name sounds more respectable than the name of a company.

Here's how I'd rank it:
1. Any name that's stood for 80+ years
2. Unique geographical feature
3. Mascot/School/City/State Name
4. Name of a former coach
5. Name of a donor
6. Corporate name

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chad Kroger Stadium

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pakled posted:

Here's how I'd rank it:
5. Name of a donor
6. Corporate name

Wrigley must bend your mind into a pretzel

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Aggies can rename theirs KY Field for all I care.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I know it's basketball which doesn't count, but Kentucky doesn't even have the worst corporate naming deal in the state as long as the KFC Yum! Center is around.

Isn't the Yum Center the main downtown arena/venue for the city of Louisville? It's not really an on-campus named stadium. Memphis basketball plays at the FedEx Forum, but it's off-campus and at the city's main arena so I don't think that really counts either.

It actually seems pretty rare for teams to have on-campus corporate stadium and arena naming deals which I think is pretty cool. Although Florida just took a corporate naming sponsor for the basketball arena. :(

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Memorial Stadium is the worst imo. It's the Tigers/Wildcats of stadium names.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

kittenmittons posted:

You gotta problem with honoring our students who died in WW1 boy? :fsmug:

loljk no one cares about Kansas football

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Isn't the Yum Center the main downtown arena/venue for the city of Louisville? It's not really an on-campus named stadium. Memphis basketball plays at the FedEx Forum, but it's off-campus and at the city's main arena so I don't think that really counts either.

It actually seems pretty rare for teams to have on-campus corporate stadium and arena naming deals which I think is pretty cool. Although Florida just took a corporate naming sponsor for the basketball arena. :(

Corporate names are definitely uncommon at the college level. Big donor or legendary coach is how it usually is.

Tech's two main facilities both have corporate sponsorship. SBC bought the naming rights to the football field in 2000, which reverted to AT&T when they were bought out.

And United Supermarkets was the principle donor for the basketball stadium, so they got the first stab at the naming rights. For the first 15 or so years of its life, it had the excellent name of "United Spirit Arena" or the USA. They changed it last year to "United Supermarkets Arena" which is not near as cool, but less easily mistaken as not being corporate.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nobody reads the coachign thread anymore but nick saban got mega paid

quote:

Nick Saban has agreed to an 8-year contract extension through January 31, 2025. Steve Berkowitz points out that Saban will make $11.25 million this season that includes a $4 million signing bonus.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Pakled posted:

Here's how I'd rank it:
5. Name of a donor
6. Corporate name

7. Corporate Acronym, because Texas Dow Employees Credit Union Stadium is the worst stadium name in sports.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

DJExile posted:

*in monotone* paying the players would destroy the sanctity and tradition of college football.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

There's just not enough money in college sports to pay athletes

*build billion dollar practice facility made entirely out of flat screens*

*signs linebackers coach to a million dollar contract*

Yep no money sorry

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

DJExile posted:

Jesus Christ the coaching salary bubble is going to pop big time. Ten years ago I think the highest salary was like $4 million a year.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
also if you don't already know offhand where this ranks him in terms of nfl coaches, guess.

$3.25MM more than sean payton and pete carroll, the highest paid nfl coaches

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jesus Christ the coaching salary bubble is going to pop big time. Ten years ago I think the highest salary was like $4 million a year.

The contract Ferentz signed in 05 that shocked everyone now would not buy you a last place finish in the SEC West

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 2, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

not at bama it isn't

roll tide messages are hitting my phone. I hate that they're sincere

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

kittenmittons posted:

This year Wisconsin plays at Camp Randall 7 times and Memorial Stadium 3 times.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That's a lot of money to finish 2nd.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

kittenmittons posted:

Sorry for caring about the TROOPS

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

The contract Ferentz signed in 05 that shocked everyone now would not buy you a last place finish in the SEC West

How much are they paying Bert now anyways? Is he up to 5 million?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Crotch Bat posted:

That's a lot of money to finish 2nd.

:thurman:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It is going to be pretty funny if everyone basically transformed the sport around this TV money -- realignment, conference networks, coach salaries, ballooning auxiliary staff, ludicrous facilities -- and then it just disappears.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

It is going to be pretty funny if everyone basically transformed the sport around this TV money -- realignment, conference networks, coach salaries, ballooning auxiliary staff, ludicrous facilities -- and then it just disappears.

Yeah, the bubble bursting on this is going to be messy.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

So the AAC is going with some big brand-shaping campaign to improve perception, it's being called American Power. Nice and satisfyingly MAGA-ish name, got an advertising plan, just gotta get a good hashtag for social media...

#AmericanPow6r

:flaccid:

Always two steps forward, one step back with this conference

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

POWGR

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Korranus posted:

So the AAC is going with some big brand-shaping campaign to improve perception, it's being called American Power. Nice and satisfyingly MAGA-ish name, got an advertising plan, just gotta get a good hashtag for social media...

#AmericanPow6r

:flaccid:

Always two steps forward, one step back with this conference

So wait, what does the six mean?

Oh "Power Six" lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Roll Tide I suppose.

Rename Legion Field to Piggly Wiggly Field.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Warbird posted:

Roll Tide I suppose.

Rename Legion Field to Piggly Wiggly Field.

If anyone should have piggly wiggly field it should be Arkansas :razorfront:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pakled posted:

So wait, what does the six mean?

Oh "Power Six" lol

Really should just be Five and they should kick the Big 12 out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

big money big clit posted:

Congratulations on squeaking out a win over a bad LSU team to earn the right to get embarrassed by Alabama. I'm certain you can ride that momentum to another season of offensive embarrassment and, hell, maybe another SEC championship embarrassment.

They just lost a bunch of NFL guys on defense again so I think this is finally the year that they won't be able to scrape by with lovely offense.

• Locked thread