Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyway, fart carpet or not, you can't get a 16gb ram version for less than 2200; irrelevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nothing you're meant to be doing on that device is going to use more than 4gb ram. if you need more you need an xps13

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this etch-a-sketch just doesn't have the power i need for cad renders!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

nothing you're meant to be doing on that device is going to use more than 4gb ram. if you need more you need an xps13
well that's the thing. it almost looked as a decent piece of hardware to throw the $50 winpro tax on top and use it like a normal machine. but no, the prices + carpet don't justify it over xps or something. lol if you didnt cross out $1k carpeted microsoft chomebook into the abyss of impossible

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i have put my lols into cold storage for now, pending a review of the machine. the carpet deserves a "heh" at this point.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Wheany posted:

these laptops will look apsolutely horrifying after absorbing a couple years worth of wrist grease and skin :gonk:

I have in the past helped with preparing and managing surfaces with type covers that were used in large training events across the country

horror.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the fuzziness wears down over time leaving you with shiny bald plastic spots scattered across the fabric

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk how the heck they get to $2200 on the i7/16gb model, especially w/ no discrete gpu

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

today I discovered that there is a "testing in production" button in azure

suddenly everything about ms makes sense

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

probably an overengineered design intended to evoke luxury

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

duTrieux. posted:

probably an overengineered design intended to evoke luxury

they went to a bmw dealership and everything

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shaggar posted:

idk how the heck they get to $2200 on the i7/16gb model, especially w/ no discrete gpu

Look at a similar mac price and use that as a baseline

pram
Jun 10, 2001
DOA

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Look at a similar mac price and use that as a baseline

the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Escape key, configured to i7 2.4GHz/16GB/512GB, comes to $2079, and you don't even need to pay the $50 top-up to unlock non-App Store applications.
$2349 for the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar i7 3.3GHz/16GB/512/GB

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

does it really not have USB-c/thunderbolt? why even bother pushing this trash out the door?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my only win10 mail client complaint thus far is lack of ctrl+c/+v functionality

haha jesus christ

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Escape key, configured to i7 2.4GHz/16GB/512GB, comes to $2079, and you don't even need to pay the $50 top-up to unlock non-App Store applications.
$2349 for the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar i7 3.3GHz/16GB/512/GB

so the surface laptop is in the same price point with a better cpu, os, touchscreen, and keyboard.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my only win10 mail client complaint thus far is lack of ctrl+c/+v functionality
whenever i'm forced to use windows i still use thunderbird like it's loving 2007

also lol no usb-c or thunderbolt on a brand new $2000 laptop by microsoft

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hey shaggs

i need a new laptop and rather than force win7 onto it i'm thinking about installing win10 LTSB

how does that make you feel

i still might force win7 onto it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, so you're going to buy a laptop and install an os that won't get updates and has no official driver support?

or are you going to scour the off-lease market for something made in 2015?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phoenixan posted:

whenever i'm forced to use windows i still use thunderbird like it's loving 2007

also lol no usb-c or thunderbolt on a brand new $2000 laptop by microsoft

yeah mail situation is lame. i dislike thunderbird and my machine is a bit too bad for outlook use in a way i would like to (+outlook being over-engineered overkill). most freebie clients are weird and/or have visible downsides for me, and lol @ paying for mail client

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why not use owa?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

hey shaggs

i need a new laptop and rather than force win7 onto it i'm thinking about installing win10 LTSB

how does that make you feel

i still might force win7 onto it

just get creators update. its great. xps15

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

why not use owa?

office 365 owa/outlook.com are both pretty great but they cant do web push notifications (yet) so if u want notifications u gotta have a local client. the mail app is really nice aside from that control c thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

presumably you're leaving the browser open in the background, and that will generate audible alerts when messages come in

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

why not use owa?
never gave it much thought, but as per shaggar not that id be interested to begin with. besides, i cant always afford to have browser open

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

besides, i cant always afford to have browser open

er, yeah, sure...

okay

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

presumably you're leaving the browser open in the background, and that will generate audible alerts when messages come in

I suppose but generally I don't always have my sound on or owa open. I think it can be set to flash the tab tho

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i deal with pdf attachments all day and sometimes windows 10 mail just won't show them. gently caress if i know why because they show up just fine in thunderbird or mail.app on my mac

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't think ive ever opened them inside the mail app. it always opens them w/ whatever associated program.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
creators update just keeps restarting the download on my work laptop, truly another great microsoft progress bar

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Shaggar posted:

I don't think ive ever opened them inside the mail app. it always opens them w/ whatever associated program.
well it's more-so this weird issue where the attachment doesn't even show up. like there's not even a paperclip icon like there should be

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

er, yeah, sure...

okay
???

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

lol no USB C

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sorry, just trying to suss out how you can't afford to have a browser window open

if you're using an old p3 with 512mb ram i can understand but most systems shouldn't have resource limitations that prevent a browser from running in the background

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sorry, just trying to suss out how you can't afford to have a browser window open

if you're using an old p3 with 512mb ram i can understand but most systems shouldn't have resource limitations that prevent a browser from running in the background

He said the machine is too lovely to run outlook sooo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah good point.

sorry mang, my bad

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

just get creators update. its great. xps15

Yeah lookin at xps15

With ltsb

No cortana, no app store, no downside

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted: