Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Coming at you from r/legaladvice

[Pennsylvania] Husband is divorcing me over sons asthma. He only wants to see our daughter and not our son.

Aint no judge gonna look at this request and think "This is normal, just gonna let this move forward as a condition of the divorce without question, ooh wonder whats on TV tonight"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That son really must suck.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That son really must suck.

Not very well, apparently.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Can't recall if this was posted before...

My [40F] husband [45H] of 10 years always ruins my birthday.

quote:

i had hoped this year would magically be different after having what I thought were productive conversations about his behavior in previous years, but no such luck. Once more he ended up treating me like crap and didn't do any of the things he said he would.
Ordinarily he is a great guy. Our marriage is quite happy. The problem is when my birthday approaches he becomes a different person. It's as if he's so sure he'll screw something up that he goes out of his way to screw everything up.
On his birthday, we always do wherever he wants for it. I bake a cake. We go to his favorite restaurant. There's a party if he wants. On my birthday, on the other hand, if I don't do all the preparations myself, it's just another regular day but with lots of arguments.
This year he said he would order me a special cake because he usually just picks one up the day of at the store. He forgot. One of our kids ended up baking me one. We went to a restaurant that he wanted to go to. He got drunk even though he knew I'd already had three beers, so we had to walk two miles home with me in heels so I got tons of blisters. We got in a huge fight on the walk home so he took off ahead of me and walked without me.
Because it was a milestone birthday, I had wanted a party. He had me do all the preparation for it while he played on the computer. Then two days before the party, he contacted the entire guest list and cancelled it. He didn't want to deal with the stress.
At this point I wish I didn't have birthdays. I don't understand why he acts like this or what I can do to make it different. Like I said, outside of this one day a year, our relationship is a good one.
tl;dr: otherwise great husband does everything he can to make my birthdays suck. What do I do?

I had a hard time just not bolding the whole thing...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"My partner is great except for how they spew flaming poo poo on me at random" - /r/relationships.

putrid aidsman
Apr 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Hughlander posted:

My [40F] husband [45H]

My gender is Husband.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm trying to concoct a scenario where such behavior is warranted and it involves a 3 year old wearing a fedora emblazoned with "mommy's perfect boy" telling the dad about how he finally convinced his mom to liquidate the joint savings to sell roller skates for dogs.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

He mad that she getting older

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Don't some kids grow out of their asthma lol

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

UnfurledSails posted:

Yea which is double lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The dad is loving a younger woman and using his kid as an excuse.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Yea you don't go out to buy cigarettes like that if you're not about to go to another woman's house

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Wouldn't he want access to the irregular kid to optimize his sob-story?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

Wouldn't he want access to the irregular kid to optimize his sob-story?

The dude obviously isn't smart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He buys his daughter a shirt with a tiara on it and the text emblazoned in glitter "Daddy's Little Prop"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Who What Now posted:

If this was true, you would think he'd be smart enough to pick a better, more sympathetic sounding, lie.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

UnfurledSails posted:

What, should I give give him a loving medal for breathing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WampaLord posted:

If this was true, you would think he'd be smart enough to pick a better, more sympathetic sounding, lie.

Maybe he just hates that kid as well, so two birds one stone.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

fruit on the bottom posted:

What, should I give give him a loving medal for breathing?

Typical millennial snowflakes can't even breathe without help

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Girlfriend (27F) "told on" me (32M) to my boss (45-50s) about something that happened on a business trip

quote:

We work in the same company, different departments. Recently we've had some minor overlap with work functions but it's been like 4 years of this, not a big deal. We've only been dating about a year though.

She and I and three other guys went on a business trip from Thursday to Monday and I opted to just ride with her instead of the two guys from my team. It was like a mini-vacation for us and everything was great. It was a 6 hour drive and I had had a rough night on Monday finishing up on the presentation so she said she would drive us back. So I went to sleep in the passenger seat.

I kind of woke up in the middle and saw she was on her phone. She was online shopping while driving. I thought I was dreaming at first and tried to go back to sleep, but then I looked again and she was clearly scrolling through pictures of clothes and pants and shoes and clicking on them. I woke up and said, are you loving kidding? And I grabbed the phone from her and threw it in the backseat. She and I had a huge fight over this and I told her to get into a rest stop so I could take over, so the next 2 hours I drove and we were basically in silence. She apologized for texting and driving but it just didn't seem like she was all that sorry about it, just wanted me to get off her back about it.

Now - she and my manager "Chris" have always been extremely close, way before she and I knew each other. She confides in him for everything, we've both been to their house for brunch and picnics and barbeques. He treats her with respect at work but it's also painfully obvious that he has a huge soft spot for her and she relies on him for tons of things, personally and professionally. Anyway, she apparently "told on me" this morning to Chris, who is MY manager, not hers, and he hasn't said anything to me but it's still pretty embarrassing that he knows about our little tiff.

I asked her why would you tell him about all that? And she just gets defensive and said, I tell him everything, he's like my dad, and I was really upset so I had to talk to him to calm down. I don't think that is a good enough reason. I understand she was upset but I think it could have been resolved between us, not getting her father figure/MY BOSS involved.

I've just been mad about this all day. I can't concentrate. Am I in the wrong here? What should I say to her? I mean, I apologized for throwing her phone. I am sorry for reacting so strongly. But it even feels somewhat like she is choosing him over me in a weird way. Choosing to vent to him about me basically, instead of taking it up with me to fix it or discuss it. Am I being too sensitive about this? I mean, Chris and I have a decent relationship but I know he's known her longer and likes her a lot so if there was anything like loyalty between the three of us, he would always be on her side. It just feels wrong. Am I wrong?

TLDR: GF and I work together, went on a business trip together, and got into a fight. She and my manager are very, very close, and when we got back, she told him everything that happened. My manager hasn't shown me any negative reaction or anything but it just feels wrong that she's sharing that much with him. But she says it's because she has always relied on him and always tells him everything. I just feel like this is wrong. Am I right? Or just need to get over it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doesnt sound like he needs to do much and one of these days shell bring the relationship to a crashing end all by herself.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
That's gotta be one of the more awful people we've seen recently. it'd be like drunk driving then trying to get the police who arrested you in trouble via personal connections.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Texting and driving? Oh no no no, I was shopping and driving with a loved one asleep next to me.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

🙄

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
She also has a spouse and a dad figure in the work place so either she has issues or lives in a 90s sitcom.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

CharlestheHammer posted:

She also has a spouse and a dad figure in the work place so either she has issues or lives in a 90s sitcom.

Just Shoot Me getting a modern reboot

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Your boss hasn't said anything because he doesn't care about any of this poo poo. Please just meet your quotas. Please. He has to meet with the VP next week and he needs this more than you think.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hughlander posted:

Can't recall if this was posted before...

My [40F] husband [45H] of 10 years always ruins my birthday.

I had a hard time just not bolding the whole thing...

I think this or a version of it has been posted before but it's a great one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
My (24F) helicopter mother has threatened to call the police on my boyfriend (25M) if I move out

quote:

I'm currently living with my mother and my brother, have my own job and moved back in after uni. My mom has always been a bit controlling - I am not allowed to lock my bedroom door, not allowed to stay over at a friend's, not allowed to drink etc. Periodically, she will take my phone away to 'punish' me for coming home after a night of drinking - occasionally, this has gotten violent with her pulling my hair and continuously slapping me, to which I have (regretfully) retaliated with force at times. She can be emotionally hurtful - she has often called me a slut or a whore after she read one series of private texts between me and an ex boyfriend. She will also make constant comparisons between my father (who walked out on us) and I, saying that I 'sleep around and gently caress men'. Last month, she took $15,000 out of my savings account and transferred it to her own account without asking me (she has power of attorney to all my bank accounts), saying that it was to help out with my tax payments.

I love her, she was a strong single mother when she could have just fallen apart but I have basically reached a breaking-point with this; earlier this week I stayed overnight at my boyfriend's for the first time and she went ballistic and threatened to call the police and report me as having been kidnapped. She also called multiple friends of mine and told them that I had been abusive to her and my brother - thank god I have great friends who can stick up for me and detect crazy.

When I returned, she took away my phones, passport, credit cards, bank cards and identification cards. When I suggest I move out, she has threatened to take drastic action and call 999 or call my boyfriend's university to make slanderous claims against him. I really do not want him, or any of my other friends to be dragged into all of this.

What do guys, what do?

TL;DR: controlling mother threatens to call the cops after I stay the night at my boyfriend's - I want to move out
She should have made like her dad and walked out years ago. :smith:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I work with people's money and have had to deal with PoA stuff occasionally. Usually it's older people giving a kid control of their finances so they can manage medical expenses or elderly care/home payments.

My experience is limited but I think she's turbofucked until she gets that rescinded. PoA is separate from any forms a bank will give you. Even if she opened another bank account her mother could give them the British equivalent of her Social to track down the account and send in the paperwork to get control.

cumshitter fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 3, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

My (24F) helicopter mother has threatened to call the police on my boyfriend (25M) if I move out

She should have made like her dad and walked out years ago. :smith:

why did the mom have custody in the first place?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

ArbitraryC posted:

Maybe we read that wrong? as in, the mother is 24?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ArbitraryC posted:

Probably done while OP was a minor and didn't understand the implications.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Probably done while OP was a minor and didn't understand the implications.

I know but I mean like considering how awful of a person she clearly is even outside of the current problems how did the dad not win like full custody. She straight up suggests literal physical abuse in the post, that seems like a p no brainer.

I'm guessing the sad truth is he either died or wanted nothing to do with the way, just depressing to think about.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

I know but I mean like considering how awful of a person she clearly is even outside of the current problems how did the dad not win like full custody.

Seems like the dad went out to buy cigarettes, you have to go to court for custody and want it which he didn't

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
She has asthma.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ArbitraryC posted:

I know but I mean like considering how awful of a person she clearly is even outside of the current problems how did the dad not win like full custody. She straight up suggests literal physical abuse in the post, that seems like a p no brainer.

I'm guessing the sad truth is he either died or wanted nothing to do with the way, just depressing to think about.

Custody and PoA are different (not sure if you knew), so if the dad fought for custody, that still wouldn't affect PoA status

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can a transfer like that be reversed if you go to the bank and state that it was against your will? Present documents showing the PoA has been removed.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Custody and PoA are different (not sure if you knew), so if the dad fought for custody, that still wouldn't affect PoA status

I wasn't talking about power of attorney I was talking about the two kids living with the parent who physically abused them in the first place. Presumably she was not born as a 24 year old (not sure if you knew).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

The Lone Badger posted:

Can a transfer like that be reversed if you go to the bank and state that it was against your will? Present documents showing the PoA has been removed.

You can't do it after the fact. If they have established power of attorney on the account, then anything the person with POA does while it is in force is essentially the same as if you had done it. Since she said she has given her mother POA over all of her accounts, then I am assuming this was done with a trip to the bank with her and her mother, not an external legal document. If her mother has a legal power of attorney document for her then then it will be a lot harder to untangle. If it is just with her bank(s) then she just needs to go in and say "please remove this POA." Either way the money is gone and she isn't getting it back.