Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

notable "building" threads
* Groverhaus
* The dude who bought some land in Hawaii and convinced some dumbasses to come out and build goontopia for him (for free, of course)
* The goons who bought land smack in the middle of the Texas desert and were going to live off the grid (I think this was a goon project)

naturally, all three were hilarious failures

What this the one who wanted to build an under ground rape dunge-I mean, computer server/storage room in the rock hard Texan ground? And he was digging it by hand until he could rent a digger? Or an entirely different dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

value-brand cereal posted:

What this the one who wanted to build an under ground rape dunge-I mean, computer server/storage room in the rock hard Texan ground? And he was digging it by hand until he could rent a digger? Or an entirely different dude?

No, I'm not familiar with that one.

This was a group of 5 or so goons who quit their jobs, sold everything they had, and drove out to this plot of land in the Texas desert they bought for four cents or something. It was miles and miles away from everything.

They had no concept of zoning laws, rights-of-way, building codes, or what a hellscape the desert can be (they moved there in the early spring), but they were going to live off the grid and survive...somehow?

By the end of the failed experiment, they were tired of being mocked by SA so they provided updates on another site (which was discovered, naturally) and they were begging for money and donations of food. Everyone drove back to their parents' homes after a few months and one poorly built shack to show for their efforts.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

notable "building" threads
* Groverhaus
* The dude who bought some land in Hawaii and convinced some dumbasses to come out and build goontopia for him (for free, of course)
* The goons who bought land smack in the middle of the Texas desert and were going to live off the grid (I think this was a goon project)

naturally, all three were hilarious failures

Was the buttcoiner with a pizza oven in his uneven-floor garage a goon too?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No, I'm not familiar with that one.

This was a group of 5 or so goons who quit their jobs, sold everything they had, and drove out to this plot of land in the Texas desert they bought for four cents or something. It was miles and miles away from everything.

They had no concept of zoning laws, rights-of-way, building codes, or what a hellscape the desert can be (they moved there in the early spring), but they were going to live off the grid and survive...somehow?

By the end of the failed experiment, they were tired of being mocked by SA so they provided updates on another site (which was discovered, naturally) and they were begging for money and donations of food. Everyone drove back to their parents' homes after a few months and one poorly built shack to show for their efforts.

Internet archive has a record of their website. Fort Awesome. So random. https://web-beta.archive.org/web/20110202093711/http://texarrakis.com/

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

bEatmstrJ posted:

K, i'm done, this is getting way too goony.

Great, now we're never getting the waterfall skylight photo update.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

posting poo poo from the website the guy linked to in the fuckin OP is not doxxing you fuckin dweebs

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Reene posted:

posting poo poo from the website the guy linked to in the fuckin OP is not doxxing you fuckin dweebs

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

With the OP gone, the thread has run its course.

I liked it early on when he was trying to argue with laws of physics because he's a designer. It was like a textbook example of that designer versus engineer life cycle - where an engineer designs something that works but then someone comes along and makes just a few changes - that precedes every man-made disaster. "I moved these walls for better feng shui, got some cheaper building material from a guy I know, ugh had to get rid of those ugly pillars... and now it's perfect!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

got any sevens posted:

I thought there was a goon who suffered brain damage because he set up a lovely mining server room and fell asleep in it while it overheated.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bEatmstrJ posted:

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

:laffo:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SoundMonkey posted:

i'd be pissed off about this except when you decide to self-host your images for reasons i can't even begin to imagine, on your personal/business site, that's gonna happen

SoundMonkey posted:

also i know it goes without saying but apparently it doesn't go without saying, but there's more than enough to make fun of here without OP's dj hairdo, so even if it wasn't exactly detective work, let's not

I'm not sure quite how to reconcile these two posts.

Does it go without saying that if you self-host images you're asking to be doxxed? What's the line you're trying to draw?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

bEatmstrJ posted:

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

haha nice

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Does it go without saying that if you self-host images you're asking to be doxxed? What's the line you're trying to draw?

He has a link to his website in his Something Awful profile, as well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WrenP-Complete posted:

He has a link to his website in his Something Awful profile, as well.

Sure, I understand that his site is not hard to find. I'm just not sure if SM is saying "you linked your site so you're fair game" or "no offsite sources however easy to find".

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, I understand that his site is not hard to find. I'm just not sure if SM is saying "you linked your site so you're fair game" or "no offsite sources however easy to find".

I also am not sure, just adding more information. :)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm more okay with reporting him to a city agency for real concerns about hurting people when the tub falls through or black mold develops. Posting pictures to try to get some laughs is basically thinking the rest of us want to mind other people's business. Check your morals

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

got any sevens posted:

No

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought there was a goon who suffered brain damage because he set up a lovely mining server room and fell asleep in it while it overheated.

Also not a goon. As far as I know, the only notable goon bitcoiner is My Linux Rig, who bought about $1k in coins from MtGoX days before cash withdrawals ceased.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's not loving doxxing you doofs, it's just supremely unfunny and a desperate attempt at a sick own on OP by a mediocre poster who didn't understand that "guy who is destroying his house for a bathroom he'll never use, oh and also he's a borderline-MRA wingnut" is funny enough without needing to add "lol u guys he's a DJ" to the mix

It's like what Derek Smart keeps doing in the Star Citizen forum. Yes, it's all technically publically available information, so it's not doxxing, it's just retardely pathetic

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

It's not loving doxxing you doofs, it's just supremely unfunny and a desperate attempt at a sick own on OP by a mediocre poster who didn't understand that "guy who is destroying his house for a bathroom he'll never use, oh and also he's a borderline-MRA wingnut" is funny enough without needing to add "lol u guys he's a DJ" to the mix

It's like what Derek Smart keeps doing in the Star Citizen forum. Yes, it's all technically publically available information, so it's not doxxing, it's just retardely pathetic

Doxxing is literally collecting publicly available stuff about a person

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I didn't feel the need to check, that's what I know.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Someone swooped in and cut the joists holding this thread up. This is why we can't have nice things.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh dude stepped in the poo poo when he didnt just own up to saying dumb poo poo about the ladies. mr picturedude was just tryng to make a joke in a lovely unfunny detective-y way, like dude say some funny poo poo dont go investigate people ya weirdo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Doxxing is literally collecting publicly available stuff about a person

Look I'm not gonna argue over the dictionary definition of doxxing but it's literally in the dude's profile and AV link, it's not a crime against humanity it's just dumb and unfunny

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The thing that pisses me off so bad is that you have enough disposable income to completely gently caress up your bathroom and then act like it's no big deal.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Don't doxx my workplace thanks.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Subjunctive posted:

tldr: that wasn't really "doxing" but was still kinda crappy, just not in a "ban everyone forever" way

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
wow this thread sure took a turn.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Time for some :science:

Since I have some time before I'll ever get to the point of actually installing my bathtub, I put together a mock mold garden to see how well it grows in my bathroom. I splashed it with a bit of water and will let it fester for a while. Will update as spores progress.

why are there nail plates on the sides of the joists in the background?

SoundMonkey posted:

people splash water on the counter washing their hands in a normal person sink that's six inches deep. so let's make one that's an inch and a half deep that it's nearly impossible to clean under.

it could be worse, he could have used one of the clear glass sinks that is shaped like that.

I have never and will never understand how anyone can look at that and think to themselves "yes, this is going to be fun and easy to clean under so I'm not literally staring at detritus and scunge accumlated on the countertop I can't reach, through my sink" and then buy it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The sad part here is that the sad attempt at dox shaming OP is overshadowing the fact that:

OP made it clear the he was a ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸MAN ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ and that he knows what a ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨WOMAN¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ wants.

Neverminding the fact that OP is very obviously single and a very goony goon.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kastein posted:

wow this thread sure took a turn.

why are there nail plates on the sides of the joists in the background?
Pretty sure that's just a sill plate, so we might actually be looking at the only properly done part of the job.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great job ruining this thread yet again goons.

Maybe we can start discussing ethics in video game journalism in DIY next.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Actually, joistgate is about ethics in remodeling.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slugworth posted:

Pretty sure that's just a sill plate, so we might actually be looking at the only properly done part of the job.

Yeah but the drat plates don't even cover the whole side of the beam! So I'm not really sure what the point is... (maybe I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kastein posted:

Yeah but the drat plates don't even cover the whole side of the beam! So I'm not really sure what the point is... (maybe I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing)

Haha, yeah, solid point. Who the gently caress knows

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

kastein posted:

OP come back we need answers on this latest discovery

also post a lot more photos of the work-in-progress, never know what else will be found!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

kastein posted:

I think what you're seeing is a half-assed attempt by someone that watched a show on HGTV one time and now knows everything about construction (and women).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Seminal Flu posted:

The sad part here is that the sad attempt at dox shaming OP is overshadowing the fact that:

OP made it clear the he was a ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸MAN ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ and that he knows what a ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨WOMAN¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨ wants.

Neverminding the fact that OP is very obviously single and a very goony goon.

It's extra hilarious because even if his sexist rant was 100% accurate, all the women who replied to the thread think his bathroom design is terrible.

• Locked thread