Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

spasticColon posted:

So the Switch is still selling like hotcakes? I probably will get one but not until they come out with a thinner and lighter "Switch Lite". I'm kinda hoping they come out with one with a ~5 inch screen, thinner (meaning no stupid cooling fan), and of course lighter with better battery life.
It's already pretty thin? Any thinner and it would probably be uncomfortable to hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

spasticColon posted:

This. This right here this guy gets it. He just described a "Switch Lite" which is what I want.

you are wrong to want this

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Well how can they improve the Switch? Most people agree that the screen size is perfect. Refined joycons seem like the most likely bet. Better battery, better dock cooling, and a tougher screen seem like no brainers too.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah the size of the thing is perfect. I could maybe go for larger more ergonomic Joycons but that starts to cut into portability. It could be lighter, my wrists get sore during longer sessions when I'm laying down.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think a drastically smaller Switch is happening anytime remotely soon, if at all.

However, one route they might take for a hardware revision is to put out a cheaper, handheld-focused edition. It'd have non-detachable controls (might allow them to make it a little smaller), and no dock in the box (shaves a good chunk off the pricetag). The only parts included would be the system and charger. Allows them to offer a lower cost up-front, while still leaving the option to upgrade to full functionality by buying a dock and controllers separately.

How do you charge your extra joycons if the ones on the system aren't removable?

If Nintendo somehow can make the innards smaller they should keep any revision the same size and have a bigger battery inside. Making a smaller, handheld only Switch would mean less room for the battery which is bad for a handheld.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
An actual durable screen is a must. That the Switch's screen isn't at least as durable as a decent smartphone's is lovely. I really need to order a pair of those screen protectors at some point, and Nintendo needs to make screens of a similar quality from the start.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They could also do a dedicated home console version with no screen or battery.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Their handheld focused console is the 3DS. They don't seem very interested in phasing out the 3DS anytime soon.

A second version of switch will probably just have the same functionality, just bigger/better or something. Like a big fuckoff ipad sized switch for people who like to play it in handheld or kickstand mode.

Or maybe they'll upgrade the rail system and just focus on different attachments. Like some dumb VR headgear attachment, although I don't know about the hardware capabilities to allow VR gaming, and it defeats the purpose of docked mode. Maybe we'll get a modular system so you can switch while you switch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The Switch hasn't even been out for a quarter of a year and people are already wanting a new version.
RIP switch.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

How do you charge your extra joycons if the ones on the system aren't removable?

With the Nintendo Joy-Con Charging Grip™, available now for loving $39.99

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Charging Grip! It's genius! :homebrew:

I haven't really had any issues with my Switch, longer battery life might be nice but even the joycons seem fine with the grip or solo with the straps.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VideoGames posted:

The Switch hasn't even been out for a quarter of a year and people are already wanting a new version.
RIP switch.

It's got such an amazing amount of potential for refinement that while I'm happy with mine, it's inviting to dream up what future iterations might be like.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Can I use my WII U pro controller on the switch?

€69,99 is just a bit too much for a controller.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

No because it doesn't have AICH DEE RUMBLE.

Thankfully the system comes with a perfectly good controller.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you want a slim handheld with no dock and superior portability there's about forty different DS models you can pick up.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

VideoGames posted:

RIP switch.

Well ultimately if you want JUST a handheld or a console the other bits you don't care about are irrelevant at best or a drag at worst.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

well why not posted:

If you want a slim handheld with no dock and superior portability there's about forty different DS models you can pick up.

What if I want those things and a screen that isn't poo poo?

I also want games on it so the Vita isn't an option.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

New 2DS XL has nice screens

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't want to get into pants-chat but the DS isn't particularly more portable than the Switch. I wouldn't take either with me without a bag of some kind.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

irlZaphod posted:

No because it doesn't have AICH DEE RUMBLE.

Thankfully the system comes with a perfectly good controller.

Really? Mine only came with a pair of joycons.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Sefal posted:

Can I use my WII U pro controller on the switch?

€69,99 is just a bit too much for a controller.

Nope. However Reggie said future firmware updates might enable support for legacy controllers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Nope. However Reggie said future firmware updates might enable support for legacy controllers.

Really? This is great news.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rexroom posted:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

:siren: Zelda escape rooom :siren:

https://uk.scrapzelda.com/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I don't want to get into pants-chat but the DS isn't particularly more portable than the Switch. I wouldn't take either with me without a bag of some kind.

Strong disagree. Clamshell means you can close it up and pop it into a jacket pocket. Switch needs a case IMO. It's also quite a bit bigger with the Joy-Cons attached. I only ever had regular sized DS units tho, the XLs may be less easy to stash in pockets.

That being said, Switch is the future and I haven't turned my 3DS on once since I got it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
The Nintendo Switch fits just fine in my JNCO skunk shorts pockets

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If you aren't wearing a literal burlap sack on each leg I don't even want to know you

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If you're not toting around a Switchel (a Switch satchel, for the uninitiated), then you are lost.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I put a switch in my lunchbox

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

a.lo posted:

I put a switch in my lunchbox

Don't eat your switch

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Also a Switch is not a sandwich.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yahaha! You found the exit!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think a drastically smaller Switch is happening anytime remotely soon, if at all.

However, one route they might take for a hardware revision is to put out a cheaper, handheld-focused edition. It'd have non-detachable controls (might allow them to make it a little smaller), and no dock in the box (shaves a good chunk off the pricetag). The only parts included would be the system and charger. Allows them to offer a lower cost up-front, while still leaving the option to upgrade to full functionality by buying a dock and controllers separately.

Ah, the Doesn't Switch. The logical follow up to the 2DS.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hello, Nintendo? I have quite the idea for you! What if you took the reason you gave your console a specific name and removed that functionality? What? No, it won't compete with your other handheld. Oh? That things dead anyway, right? ...No? Well, think about how many people will buy it if you reduce the size and lower the cost? What do you mean it's selling extremely well? Look, I'm just trying to give you ideas for a specific use case that will greatly benefit me personally, two months after the system you just made released. I'm a genius, and you made the New Nintendo 2DS XL, a cheaper alternative to a popular device that removes a neat but entirely cosmetic function. Why do you hate money? Nintendo!!!!!!!!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

If a switch mini or switch xl can't dock or undock it won't loving happen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean the 3/2DS is dead in a year or so whatever happens anyway.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Switch Mini will have a GBA Micro sized screen and plug directly into an HDMI port as a dongle instead of needing a dock.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The 3DS won't die anytime soon because there are still a lot of good games coming out for it and a loving enormous back catalog of good games

Sure new games might stop coming out in a year and a half or so, but hardware will still be produced for a while

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

iajanus posted:

I love playing my Switch at work at lunch

Because I can forget about the idiots here and enjoy shooting shells at people.

https://twitter.com/iajanus/status/859597119589502976

thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I have never docked my Switch

• Locked thread