Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Harrow posted:

I'd say you either want to have one element with a boost/amp or knock Cosmic Flare down to Mafreidyne and ditch Concentrate so that it's there for hitting weaknesses. Making "ultimate" Personas really rewards specialization, I think, just because Joker's versatility comes from being able to switch Personas, so I'd rather give a Persona a single role and have it do that role amazingly. To stick to the theme you're going with (which is very close to what I want to do with my NG+ mega-Arsene), I think I'd do something like:
  • Debilitate
  • Auto-Mataru
  • Auto-Maraku
  • Auto-Masuku
  • Null/Repel/Drain Bless
  • Null/Repel/Drain Phys
  • Two other null/repel/drain skills
Yeah, he's basically just there for Debilitate + start of battle full-party Heat Riser, but that's fine. He'll be durable, can swap in for a Debilitate during boss fights, but then leave the offensive work to someone else. If you want an offensive Arsene with high Magic, I think I'd instead leave the Debilitate/buffing to another Persona and do something like:

I like Debilitate + Auto-heat Riser because it feels like a Trickstery thing to do. First turn and we are already fully buffed and youre fully debuffed. Sorry nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Post Palace 7: This whole "you elected an evil megalomaniac who admits he's an evil megalomaniac and no one cares" plot is hitting a little too close to home.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Deified Data posted:

Post Palace 7: This whole "you elected an evil megalomaniac who admits he's an evil megalomaniac and no one cares" plot is hitting a little too close to home.

Makes you think if this actually takes place in Japan huh.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Count Bleck posted:

Makes you think if this actually takes place in Japan huh.

Not really considering the actual, real life leader of Japan. Who has been pulling that schtick for years.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zore posted:

Not really considering the actual, real life leader of Japan. Who has been pulling that schtick for years.

Turns out I know very little about life in Japan, huh.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I turned Michael into a gun so I didn't think too hard about what skills to pass to him. In theory what was the best Michael skill compositions? His recipe Personas all have very interesting kits.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Count Bleck posted:

Turns out I know very little about life in Japan, huh.
lemme tell you about Abenomics

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

JackDarko posted:

I turned Michael into a gun so I didn't think too hard about what skills to pass to him. In theory what was the best Michael skill compositions? His recipe Personas all have very interesting kits.

For Personas at Michael's level, I like to look for unique skills or good natural immunities (or both, in Yoshitsune's case). Michael doesn't really have either. He obviously has monster stats so you can do some generic God Hand + Charge + Arms Master build and see great results, but there's nothing really special about him.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Any good money-making opportunities in the last dungeon? I still have a lot of Personas to fuse and only like 200k to do it. I did get the confidant bonus that doubles your yen if you end an ambush in one round...

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

ROFL Octopus posted:

For Personas at Michael's level, I like to look for unique skills or good natural immunities (or both, in Yoshitsune's case). Michael doesn't really have either. He obviously has monster stats so you can do some generic God Hand + Charge + Arms Master build and see great results, but there's nothing really special about him.

Good, thank you sir. Enjoy being a loving gun Michael.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Deified Data posted:

Any good money-making opportunities in the last dungeon? I still have a lot of Personas to fuse and only like 200k to do it. I did get the confidant bonus that doubles your yen if you end an ambush in one round...

If you maxed Tower and made some headway in Sun:

There's a character to talk to that will heal you, which also replenishes your bullets. Best bet is to get Joker to down everything with his gun, then basically play chicken with demanding money. I usually try to do it three times then finish them with an all out attack.

If not though you'll just have to do things the long way. :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Money is a genuine issue in this game, if you aren't confusing Mementos bosses. I'm not entirely sure if that's the intended strategy for players, but it's the most lucrative​.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Holding enemies up is also lucrative, though not as much. There are some weak enemies in every palace that will drop absurd amounts more than the others.

I didn't have any money issues after Palace 2 tbh. I also didn't go super crazy with fusing vanity project though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I kinda hope that, if there's a rerelease/expansion, they get rid of the confusing Mementos bosses thing (just have enemies run out of money to drop eventually) but increase the money gain from holding up enemies and/or increase the EXP you get from ending the battle with a negotiation. All of that is really an attempt to reduce grinding. As it is, if I had to rely on negotiation for all my money, I'd need to end as many battles as possible with a hold up, which would also decrease how much EXP I'd get, so I'd probably need to grind for EXP a few more times throughout the game, at least on Hard.

But I'd like it if hold-ups gave more money (and/or closer to normal EXP) and the confusion trick was less lucrative because being a bunch of thieves who extort Shadows is a much more fun way to make money than prolonging a miniboss fight for an hour and a half while they drop infinite money.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
You still get exp for the enemy you hold up and drops for the ones you kill. Optimal strategy is to kill everything but one demon, hold it up and press it for money twice. Then AoA it so you get normal drops and all the money you extorted.

Even if the last demon leaves you still get everything but its yen drop.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

You still get exp for the enemy you hold up and drops for the ones you kill. Optimal strategy is to kill everything but one demon, hold it up and press it for money twice. Then AoA it so you get normal drops and all the money you extorted.

Yeah, that's true. My own habits generally had me relying a lot on AoE attacks, meaning that I'd more often kill every enemy than kill most and leave one alive and also knocked down (or with enough HP that I can knock them down without killing them). In the end, most of the time I ended up negotiating was with tough Shadows that I didn't want to spend the resources to actually kill, so I'd knock them down, get money out of them a couple times, and let them go.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zore posted:

Unless you get a red option, or if it leaves after the first negotiation, or if you're powerful enough to just AoA everything at once.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I almost never used AOAs by Palace 7 or so. On Hard, they stop being able to kill enemies outright pretty early (unless there's a Baton Pass involved), but if I instead knocked everything down, then Baton Passed into a Triple Down or something, I'd kill everything a lot faster. Maybe double Baton Passing into an AOA would've worked just as well.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
NG+ questions:

When you cycle over, does awarded XP increase or do you basically not budge until you Flu Season or the Nebiros fight in Palace 6?

Do any confidant bonuses port over?

Also does your companion's levels port over or just the MC?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Deified Data posted:

NG+ questions:

When you cycle over, does awarded XP increase or do you basically not budge until you Flu Season or the Nebiros fight in Palace 6?

No-one's levels port over and XP gain is unchanged, so your level goes up roughly the same way it did the first time around.

Some bonuses from maxed confidants are available in NG+ after you form their link; exactly which bonuses carry over varies from confidant to confidant.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No one's levels carry over, and as long as you've gotten the max rank item from each S Link on the final day, you'll get some or all of their bonuses when you actually start their link. The description of each item'll tell you what bonuses you'll get when the link starts.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Deified Data posted:

NG+ questions:

Some bonuses carry over but not all. No party member, MC included, carries over levels, but you have access to your compendium.

I've been using a level 90 Yoshitsune from the beginning and I'm just about to beat the 5th palace boss and it still hasn't leveled up, to give you an idea of how leveling scales.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'll fuse the Personas I want to take with me before I beat the last dungeon then, thanks.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

For the past few days I have prepared for bed while listening to Beneath the Mask and put on Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There in the morning. I think it may have improved my mood

Harrow posted:

I seem to remember exam music in Persona games always being pretty good but that one's the best for sure. It's just so fantastically groovy.

I need a version that occasionally has Morgana chiming in "Ooh, we can do this!"

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Lmao, doing the Rank 9 Sun event in the middle of October was probably not the best timing.

Ho Chi Minh Holiday Inn
Jul 11, 2006

You may not know it yet, but I'm your worst nightmare.

Blockhouse posted:

nanako would be 11 in persona 5 people are insane

she would be XX

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do kinda wonder why they bothered obscuring the year when it's easy to figure out it's 2016, given Rise's stated age and the calendar matching up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
My guess is they don't want to be tied to a real world year just in case they decide to gently caress with the timeline some. Like if P5 had bombed and they wanted to bring in the P4 cast in spinoffs or whatever to make money.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The game takes place in the year 2020 don't you guys know Roman numerals?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ryuji loving rules. He hates every villain so drat much, is super hyped and excited whenever a new team member joins and gets a bunch of cool moments early and late in the game. And while he's a poo poo in the mid-game that's something the game acknowledges and he apologises for it in a good scene which leads to cool development that brings up themes that are super relevant in end game plot.

Ryuji is my Rowdy Crime-bro.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
How's the Hard difficulty in this, for someone who enjoyed p3 the answer?

Contemplating a 100% s-link NG+ run on Hard but if it's too tedious for non-combat related reasons, like, if s-links level up more slowly or item/personas become more expensive, then no, thanks.

Endgame questions: how many endings are there and how to trigger them? The last thing I fought was Yalbaoth (sp?) and there were huge timeskips during winter thus I assume I hosed up somewhere and got a non-true ending.

What's with giving Sojiro the diary, is it just for the extra 2 second cutscene animation?

I also never found the Reaper in Mementos :shrug:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's only one ending besides game overs and obvious bad ends

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Storm One posted:

Contemplating a 100% s-link NG+ run on Hard but if it's too tedious for non-combat related reasons, like, if s-links level up more slowly or item/personas become more expensive, then no, thanks.

Endgame questions: how many endings are there and how to trigger them? The last thing I fought was Yalbaoth (sp?) and there were huge timeskips during winter thus I assume I hosed up somewhere and got a non-true ending.

What's with giving Sojiro the diary, is it just for the extra 2 second cutscene animation?

Hard only affects combat difficulty. Nothing costs more, you don't level more slowly, nothing like that. It's just that you do slightly less damage and enemies do more damage. I did most of the game on Hard (after the second Palace) on my first playthrough and it wasn't tedious at all.

Endgame stuff:

You got the true ending. The huge time skips are pretty standard Persona stuff. The game does sorta hint there's more to discover but Yaldabaoth is the true final boss and that's probably setup for an expansion or spin-off more than anything. It's a bit of a fake-out after Persona 4's tricky true ending.

Yep, giving Sojiro the diary is just an extra animation and also a nice thing to do.

The Reaper only shows up if you just stand around for a while, like five-ish minutes on any given floor. You don't have to do anything special to trigger him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Storm One posted:

Hard just makes enemies do more/you do less damage than normal.

Also You got the 'True' ending. There's only one real ending this time around and a bunch of premature bad ends where you die, or you pull a 'Wait, that's not how it happened' during the interrogation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Storm One posted:

Hard only increases enemy damage/defense. Merciless lowers XP/Money gain.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Storm One posted:

You got the true ending. You'll need to wait for the added content re-release if you want to do anything in those months.

Other endings were available for selling out your friends to Sae and selling out humanity to Yaldaboath

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
If you don't get the kawakami mementos mission by summer break are you doomed to wait an in game month for it?
I got it during the pre palace 4 time skip days and I'm feeling pretty lucky.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

If you don't get the kawakami mementos mission by summer break are you doomed to wait an in game month for it?
I got it during the pre palace 4 time skip days and I'm feeling pretty lucky.

Yeah. You can't advance that link at all when you're not in school.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Another thing about hard mode is you can change the difficulty at any time.

That is, unless you're a babby who chose Safety mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/decodomo/status/859639969715040256