Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsoft bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

cthulhoo posted:

~hardened~
wow windows 10 home is the absolute trash tier

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont think i want anything in that feature matrix except the ability to run actual programs (not included in windows 10 sport edition)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i think the plan is more actual programs start showing up on the win store. like u could take steam and pack it for the store or something.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i think the plan is more actual programs start showing up on the win store. like u could take steam and pack it for the store or something.

you mean like on osx?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

is Shared PC Configuration roaming profiles 2.0? gating bitlocker is a bad idea and they shouldn't be doing it. maybe restrict certain features/settings in it but MS should be driving customers to other lovely solutions that will probably render all their data lost when it fucks up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

I'm sure valve is stumbling over themselves to give microsoft 30% of their revenue in exchange for getting to appear in the store with 2 dozen fake shovelware/ebook listings for each of their games

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 3, 2017

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shaggar posted:

they've had since windows 8 to do that though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

is Shared PC Configuration roaming profiles 2.0? gating bitlocker is a bad idea and they shouldn't be doing it. maybe restrict certain features/settings in it but MS should be driving customers to other lovely solutions that will probably render all their data lost when it fucks up

are there a lot of home users who are desperate for fde on their primary drive, and won't just upgrade to pro? bitlocker to go still functions for external drives on home, you just can't do fixed disks

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

infernal machines posted:

are there a lot of home users who are desperate for fde on their primary drive, and won't just upgrade to pro? bitlocker to go still functions for external drives on home, you just can't do fixed disks

i think the people who want fde understand there's alternatives or don't trust ms to begin with

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sometimes when i use edge the scrolling fucks up such that scroll rate slows down until it becomes impossible to scroll at all, even by dragging the scrollbar directly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

on my new work laptop if I use touchpad scrolling it randomly leaves the little up/down icon on the screen with no way to get rid of it except for killing the synaptics driver process

I use a mouse now

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

gently caress synaptic and their drivers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bets part about the dell xps 13/15 is the trackpads have native windows gesture support. none of that synaptics middleware bullshit.

it's like using the trackpad on an mbp, but on a better os

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i agree with 50% of this statement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

on my new work laptop if I use touchpad scrolling it randomly leaves the little up/down icon on the screen with no way to get rid of it except for killing the synaptics driver process

I use a mouse now

i had a work dell that had a touchpad that would randomly stop working, then 10 or so minutes later completely lock up the entire computer.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

i agree with 50% of this statement.

yeah the xps touchpad is way better than a tragic mac pad

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

duTrieux. posted:

it makes sense if you're a risk-adverse corporation who wants to reuse existing assets and manufacturing capacity

don't want to waste that production line pumping out 800 3:2 screens a month

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

I'm sure valve is stumbling over themselves to give microsoft 30% of their revenue in exchange for getting to appear in the shore with 2 dozen fake shovelware/ebook listings for each of their games

lol if this is true

edit: it is. lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

lol if this is true

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/getting-paid-apps

"When you sign up for a developer account, you accept the App Developer Agreement. This agreement explains the relationship between you and Microsoft as it pertains to selling apps in the Windows Store, including the Store fee that Microsoft charges for every sale made.
In most cases, the Store fee is 30%. Fees are officially defined in the App Developer Agreement. Always review that document if you have any questions.
The Windows Store fee is applied to all app sales collected by the Windows Store, including add-ons."

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it makes sense for the iphone store since that was an exclusive platform to get into. trying to retroactively do that to windows is hella lol

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
lol to the last 3 or 4 pages

in other news I explained to my wife the engineering behind the trackpad on her new MacBook Pro Escape and blew her dang mind.

"I couldn't tell the difference."
"That's the point."

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

shagger !!! <:razz:>

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

akadajet posted:

it makes sense for the iphone store since that was an exclusive platform to get into. trying to retroactively do that to windows is hella lol

they will never stop trying. they lust after that 30% rent

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

incoherent posted:

nice rear end-docks

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shaggar posted:

nooo shaggar, turn left

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

bets part about the dell xps 13/15 is the trackpads have native windows gesture support. none of that synaptics middleware bullshit.

it's good, but i had to disable pinch-to-zoom on mine because it was way too sensitive and would always zoom when i wanted to scroll.

still better than every other pc trackpad by a mile though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
windows 10 s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anthonypants posted:

windows 10 s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

anthonypants posted:

windows 10 s

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

anthonypants posted:

windows 10 s

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

anthonypants posted:

windows 10 s

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

it's good, but i had to disable pinch-to-zoom on mine because it was way too sensitive and would always zoom when i wanted to scroll.

still better than every other pc trackpad by a mile though.

having someone else move a mouse while you just sit next them saying "left... left... okay a little up... now right just a bit... CLICK THERE" is better than every pc trackpad

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

LastInLine posted:

having someone else move a mouse while you just sit next them saying "left... left... okay a little up... now right just a bit... CLICK THERE" is better than every pc trackpad
don't post my sex life

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

wow windows 10 home is the absolute trash tier

at least you're not stuck with bing forever

e: i converted a bunch of my chrome extensions to edge but apparently its impossible to publish anything on ms store unless you're a bespoke twitter superstar developer or w/e with special permission from ms. seems very rational considering the rest of their store is a postapoc garbage dump.

im the grigorio

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 4, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cthulhoo posted:

or edge.

on the other hand you wouldn't have windows asking you if you'd like to switch to edge time and time again

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cthulhoo posted:

e: i converted a bunch of my chrome extensions to edge but apparently its impossible to publish anything on ms store unless you're a bespoke twitter superstar developer or w/e with special permission from ms. seems very rational considering the rest of their store is a postapoc garbage dump.

im the grigorio

chome up your rear end

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Edge is good actually

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

Edge is good actually