Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

That poster is correct about Chipotle and Taco Bell not being Mexican food.

Yep.

Honestly I wish more legit tex-mex places existed.

I had a taco from a taco truck owned by a mexican immigrant and it was wayyy better than anything Chipotle or T Bell could whip up. He even had some funny pokes at Trump on his signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The only place you can get good authentic Mexican in my hometown atm is a taqueria in the flea market

The stall directly across the aisle from it sells swastika stickers and patches

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/860116676536410112

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this might be one of the most insanely stupid articles ever written

quote:

We never see a journalist in “Star Wars.” Not in eight movies and counting.

The galaxy is otherwise rich in professions. There are bartenders, bounty hunters, geneticists, one librarian, medics, moisture farmers, musicians, senators, soldiers and a lady who sells toads out of the sewer. The character who comes closest to an act of journalism, if we're being generous, is a two-headed alien who commentates during a podrace. His sportscast is mostly hackwork, stuff like “It's Skywalker!” and “The crowds are going nuts!” Worse still, he's not very impartial; at the sight of the gangster Jabba the Hutt, both of his heads gargle in apparent fealty.

If there was ever a galaxy far, far away in need of a smart and independent press, you're looking at it.

Near the end of the prequel “Revenge of the Sith,” the elected leader of the Galactic Republic gives a speech. It's a rousing speech, full of carnage and conspiracy. Supreme Chancellor Palpatine spins a wild theory that the powerful elite, the Jedi, wish to subvert the government. It's also total bull.

A “Jedi rebellion” has been foiled, Palpatine says. (This is false. Palpatine ordered his troopers to shoot the Jedi in the back, a slaughter presumably carried out on thousands of planets.) The Jedi disfigured his face in a failed assassination attempt, he says. (False again, though difficult to investigate — Palpatine resisted arrest in his private office, then zapped any would-be witnesses to death.)

With that, a millennium-old democracy dies. Palpatine announces that the Republic is now an empire, promising “a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for 10,000 years.”

Almost everyone in Palpatine's audience greets his speech with thunderous applause.

There are a few heads shaken and sad words muttered. But nobody jots down notes. Nobody switches on a recorder. Nobody in the chamber raises a tentacle and asks, “Uh, excuse me, Mr. Chancellor …?”

Meanwhile, what appear to be drones equipped with video cameras hover around the Senate chamber. The movie never explains the drones' purpose, but it's easy to imagine that the robots are filming the emperor's speech. (In fact, the “Star Wars” television show “Rebels” later offers a glimpse of imperial propaganda recorded from that very location.) If so, there is no evidence that the galaxy tuned into the robot feed to see a popular and rightly outraged news anchor listing the democratic laws broken and historical context ignored.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

We never see a shitter in "Star Wars". Did constipation lead to authoritarian rule? Is the Kessel Run that weird walk you do when a turd is crowning?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Actually, it's because a bunch of sanctimonious assholes who cared more about civility and order than actually addressing the grievances of the population at large decided to allow a fascist to start a war that drained government resources and crush all forms of opposition in the name of freedom and democracy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

we live in a world with a nearly infinite amount of pop culture, and it's easier to consume than it was 10 years ago. so why are the only pop culture comparisons in these vapid essays limited to Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Hamilton?
a college friend shared this on fb, and the only thing i don't like about it is "educate yourself." being a better person shouldn't be a homework assignment

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
How did Cinco de Mayo even manage to overshadow the Grito de Dolores in the states anyway? You'd think people think it's actual mexican independence day.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

we live in a world with a nearly infinite amount of pop culture, and it's easier to consume than it was 10 years ago. so why are the only pop culture comparisons in these vapid essays limited to Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Hamilton?

Star Wars and Harry Potter are the most accessible ways to get nerd cred while Hamilton allows people to believe nationalistic masturbation is very woke.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

advertisement

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

a college friend shared this on fb, and the only thing i don't like about it is "educate yourself." being a better person shouldn't be a homework assignment

I'm not sure a pure-race Mexican restaurant even exists in the US, every one I've known has been staffed by every Central and South American lineage under the sun.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Latinx

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Agnosticnixie posted:

How did Cinco de Mayo even manage to overshadow the Grito de Dolores in the states anyway? You'd think people think it's actual mexican independence day.

Some people do get confused and think it's their indy day.

Well, they could instead make references to obscure poo poo, but expecting the people that haven't seen it to put forth any effort just to get a reference is foolish in tyool2017. Or they could skip the references and become good reporters, but again that would require effort that nobody is either capable of or willing to do these days.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Fullhouse posted:

this might be one of the most insanely stupid articles ever written

i think i'm more mad about him misunderstanding something as basic as the plot of star wars than him applying it to modern politics

Agnosticnixie posted:

this is probably apocryphal but i've heard beer companies were responsible for pushing cinco de mayo in the us to give the country a pary holiday in may to get drunk over

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Agnosticnixie posted:

I think it's because a lot of the esrly waves of Mexican immigration were from the Puebla area

OXBALLS DOT COM has issued a correction as of 04:11 on May 5, 2017

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

being a better person shouldn't be a homework assignment

Pretty sure that's what it means to a lot of people

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Grognan posted:

Pretty sure that's what it means to a lot of people

They also want participation trophies for trying even if they remain horrible people

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i disagree with that poster, im gonna get trashed and i dont give a gently caress

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'm not sure a pure-race Mexican restaurant even exists in the US, every one I've known has been staffed by every Central and South American lineage under the sun.
i live not far from a mexican neighborhood but i wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of restaurants there have central american staff

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Kicking the poo poo out of the French is something every red-blooded American can get behind.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress this poo poo, a Sombrero isn't some sacred thing, it's just a loving hat peasants used to wear to protect from the sun. People can wear that hat if they want, and if they're being racist poo poo-head while wearing the hat then the problem is that they are being loving racist, not that they dared wear a hat!

This kind of bullshit infuriates me.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Buca di Bepis posted:

I know of a few but they're all family run.

But white people insisting on using Latinx will never not be funny to me

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dreddout posted:

is it better or worse than latin@

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

is it better or worse than latin@

"Please, do not disrespect the Spanish language!"

*Turns it into leetspeak*

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

I know of a few but they're all family run.

Latinx Games

Latinex: Arrrrribba-ed For Her Pleasure

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

got any sevens posted:

Some people do get confused and think it's their indy day.

Well, they could instead make references to obscure poo poo, but expecting the people that haven't seen it to put forth any effort just to get a reference is foolish in tyool2017. Or they could skip the references and become good reporters, but again that would require effort that nobody is either capable of or willing to do these days.

Real nerds reference the good poo poo.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

MizPiz posted:

Liking and defending brand engagement accounts should be considered one of the worst forms of class treason.

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/859144184699203585

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

shooting the twitterer

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's a long long way between Fat Tuesday and the 4th of July. We need something in the middle to drink about.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Peanut President posted:

It's a long long way between Fat Tuesday and the 4th of July. We need something in the middle to drink about.

The gap from St Patty day to Memorial Day needed addressing but what I'm concerned about is the total lack of commercialized holidays between July 4th and Labor Day. When will our Bud Light and cheap party supplying capitalist overlords address this holiday gap?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress this poo poo, a Sombrero isn't some sacred thing, it's just a loving hat peasants used to wear to protect from the sun. People can wear that hat if they want, and if they're being racist poo poo-head while wearing the hat then the problem is that they are being loving racist, not that they dared wear a hat!

This kind of bullshit infuriates me.

because alot of these idiots think cultural synthesis and culture sharing are bad. some of these fuckheads legit believe in race/culture separation. cultural appropriation and erasure are legit poo poo and bad stuff but these idiots have used the terms so much they have no meaning.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Tunicate posted:

The Rock has taken a firm progressive stand already, socializing his wrestling moves. The People's Elbow is for everyone.

It's a tool of the people against jabronis

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Breakfast All Day posted:

We never see a shitter in "Star Wars". Did constipation lead to authoritarian rule? Is the Kessel Run that weird walk you do when a turd is crowning?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Just loving :laffo: if you need corporations to tell you when it's okay to party.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I bought an international student their first shot of tequila because of Cinco de mayo

He hated it :radcat:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Is it woke or unwoke that I hate mariachi bands?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mrmcd posted:

Is it woke or unwoke that I hate mariachi bands?

youre having a siesta mate

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
twit aint showin it but click to see mormonparty's post

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/WaladShami/status/860365279850885120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Muslim-Palestinian-Refugee. I'm going to be an Anthropologist and change the world someday. Leftist 🏳️‍🌈🇵🇸. #FreePalestine #BlackLivesMatter