Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I grabbed Snakepass and it's pretty fun. I like figuring out how to traverse all the bamboo sticks and what not. My main issue with the game that there isn't much game there. For some reason I'm a snake with a bird friend thrown onto some weird floating islands and I have to collect the gems to unlock the gates. The unskippable and long cut scenes don't seem to explain anything and I have no idea why I'm collecting coins and orbs. This seems to be suffering from the same problem Yooka Laylee is suffering from as well. There are a bunch of collectibles but no real reason for them to exist other than "collect these things to make the numbers on the level select go up." I'll keep playing to see what kind of levels there are, but this isn't super great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Louisgod posted:

Per the tldr on that reddit link:

"TL;DR
Nintendo Switch Dock costs an estimate of $49.99, if packaged without AC Adapter and HDMI cable. Justifying the cost of US$49.99 is based on the unknown cost associated with the microprocessing unit chipset, the labor fees, standard compliances/testing, and research & development."

Not sure where you're getting $23 from. Regardless, all the breakdowns and cost analysis reports I've read puts the Switch in the $250 to $270 range to manufacture, which doesn't include R&D cost, shipping cost, etc.

When you break it all down component by component, I can buy all those components, on a consumer level, for much lower than that on the open market. Obviously I cannot construct a Switch, or R&D a design concept, etc. But we are talking about technology that was end of life'd by the manufacturer of said components over 3 years ago, aside from Haptic TI chips. Foxconn is the assembler, so we all know by now how cheap that is. The only thing that would increase costs to them substantially would be air freight due to customs/tariffs, etc and it being air freight, but this was because they didn't solidify their design in time to allow for the logistics of overseas shipping by freighter.

It isn't like it's a bad thing. Nintendo has always made more profit on accessories and console hardware than any other. It's the way they operate.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Utnayan posted:

When you break it all down component by component, I can buy all those components, on a consumer level, for much lower than that on the open market. Obviously I cannot construct a Switch, or R&D a design concept, etc. But we are talking about technology that was end of life'd by the manufacturer of said components over 3 years ago, aside from Haptic TI chips. Foxconn is the assembler, so we all know by now how cheap that is. The only thing that would increase costs to them substantially would be air freight due to customs/tariffs, etc and it being air freight, but this was because they didn't solidify their design in time to allow for the logistics of overseas shipping by freighter.

It isn't like it's a bad thing. Nintendo has always made more profit on accessories and console hardware than any other. It's the way they operate.

okay, so, people have broken it down component by component and came to $250 to $260.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/04/06/how-much-does-nintendo-switch-cost-to-make/

quote:

Breaking apart the console down into individual parts, the touchscreen, charger, and actual console itself costs roughly $167 dollars to make. It is the Joy-Con controller that is surprisingly expensive to make. Nintendo’s advanced motion technology causes each of them to be made for $45, meaning $90 total!

Are you trying to be purposefully obtuse or does it just come naturally? Console + Controllers + Dock + Joycons + Charger + HDMI Cable = ~$260. Show your work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah but I bought this 12 dollar logitech gamepad which I broke in half, this old tablet I got from my mom, and I can run an NES emulator so it's definitely possible to make a Switch for 40 dollars.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I don't get the need to spit hairs over this. What's the point?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dizz posted:

I didn't buy that garbage.

Another switch troll

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Louisgod posted:

okay, so, people have broken it down component by component and came to $250 to $260.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/04/06/how-much-does-nintendo-switch-cost-to-make/

Are you trying to be purposefully obtuse or does it just come naturally? Console + Controllers + Dock + Joycons + Charger + HDMI Cable = ~$260. Show your work.

You have no breakdowns of the actual component cost and that is the same information from the previous link you just quoted. The link I provided provides actual per component pricing, not "the touchscreen, charger, and actual console itself costs roughly $167" without a component manufacturer break down per part number/sku. The joycon controller is based on Haptic design from Texas Instruments. (http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/motor-drivers/haptic-driver-overview.page) Which Nintendo did not develop so there are no R&D costs associated. (Open your Joycon, you will see the TI chip, and it's software implementation was also designed by TI) They are simply licensing legacy technology here because believe it or not, Haptic feedback has been around in concept from the 70's and basically mainstream since the 90's in other applications aside from home console. So right here: "Joy-Con controller that is surprisingly expensive to make. Nintendo’s advanced motion technology causes each of them to be made for $45, meaning $90 total!" turns out to be not expensive to make at all. You can check out the part numbers on the TI link provided.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Holy poo poo who cares?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Utnayan posted:

You have no breakdowns of the actual component cost and that is the same information from the previous link you just quoted. The link I provided provides actual per component pricing, not "the touchscreen, charger, and actual console itself costs roughly $167" without a component manufacturer break down per part number/sku. The joycon controller is based on Haptic design from Texas Instruments. (http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/motor-drivers/haptic-driver-overview.page) Which Nintendo did not develop so there are no R&D costs associated. (Open your Joycon, you will see the TI chip, and it's software implementation was also designed by TI) They are simply licensing legacy technology here because believe it or not, Haptic feedback has been around in concept from the 70's and basically mainstream since the 90's in other applications aside from home console. So right here: "Joy-Con controller that is surprisingly expensive to make. Nintendo’s advanced motion technology causes each of them to be made for $45, meaning $90 total!" turns out to be not expensive to make at all. You can check out the part numbers on the TI link provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playing through xenoblade in anticipation of the sequel but got stuck on the spider arachno boss early on. I kill the first wave of minions alright, do some damage, but the second wave slows shulk with webs until he is frozen in place and i die.

Any tips? Does taking out the eggs stop the boss from summoning fresh waves?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Utnayan posted:

actually, you're wrong, and you also suck

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Utnayan posted:

lol you don't even understand the complete difference between motion control technology and haptics.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Real hurthling! posted:

Playing through xenoblade in anticipation of the sequel but got stuck on the spider arachno boss early on. I kill the first wave of minions alright, do some damage, but the second wave slows shulk with webs until he is frozen in place and i die.

Any tips? Does taking out the eggs stop the boss from summoning fresh waves?

Level up a bit, since it's just you and Reyn it's tough to stay alive. That, and I think that's the fight where you get shield, so learn to use that if you haven't. You can take out the small waves of spiders but they regenerate pretty quickly.

Along with that, have you learned to use the commands to control your teammates? It'll help to reign in Reyn (pun intended) to help fight the boss.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The classic "type a million dumbass words" troll

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 5, 2017

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Utnayan posted:

You have no breakdowns of the actual component cost and that is the same information from the previous link you just quoted. The link I provided provides actual per component pricing, not "the touchscreen, charger, and actual console itself costs roughly $167" without a component manufacturer break down per part number/sku. The joycon controller is based on Haptic design from Texas Instruments. (http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/motor-drivers/haptic-driver-overview.page) Which Nintendo did not develop so there are no R&D costs associated. (Open your Joycon, you will see the TI chip, and it's software implementation was also designed by TI) They are simply licensing legacy technology here because believe it or not, Haptic feedback has been around in concept from the 70's and basically mainstream since the 90's in other applications aside from home console.

Are you a lovely manager by any chance? That's lovely manager logic. Especially the whole "These concepts have been around since the 70s and implementations existed in the 90s" bit there.

Engineering, prototyping, marketing, packaging, and shipping a product aren't free, and tools/utilities/support don't appear out of thin air. Backend services don't just appear since you wrote a design for your hardware. Trained repair technicians don't just show up for work the next day at launch by virtue of releasing something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Louisgod posted:

Level up a bit, since it's just you and Reyn it's tough to stay alive. That, and I think that's the fight where you get shield, so learn to use that if you haven't. You can take out the small waves of spiders but they regenerate pretty quickly.

Along with that, have you learned to use the commands to control your teammates? It'll help to reign in Reyn (pun intended) to help fight the boss.

Thanks. I guess ill clear out some side quests.
Is this fight just a skill/level check like the minotaur in smtiv or is the game not gonna gently caress around for the whole ride?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Chronojam posted:

Are you a lovely manager by any chance? That's lovely manager logic. Especially the whole "These concepts have been around since the 70s and implementations existed in the 90s" bit there.

Engineering, prototyping, marketing, packaging, and shipping a product aren't free, and tools/utilities/support don't appear out of thin air. Backend services don't just appear since you wrote a design for your hardware. Trained repair technicians don't just show up for work the next day at launch by virtue of releasing something.

If he was in management do you think he'd have that avatar? 🤔

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I grabbed Snakepass and it's pretty fun. I like figuring out how to traverse all the bamboo sticks and what not. My main issue with the game that there isn't much game there. For some reason I'm a snake with a bird friend thrown onto some weird floating islands and I have to collect the gems to unlock the gates. The unskippable and long cut scenes don't seem to explain anything and I have no idea why I'm collecting coins and orbs. This seems to be suffering from the same problem Yooka Laylee is suffering from as well. There are a bunch of collectibles but no real reason for them to exist other than "collect these things to make the numbers on the level select go up." I'll keep playing to see what kind of levels there are, but this isn't super great.

I mean, that's just kind of the type of game it's going for. The collectibles are there for specific challenges, you can skip them if you want but that's kind of negating a lot of the game.

The only plot is something broke all the things, fix them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Chronojam posted:

Sounds like the same logic I get with "I can go to best buy and buy a $50 1TB USB Drive! What do you mean 1TB of storage is expensive! Well when it's part of a RAID array to get it fast enough to share with everyone it's actually a lot more. Then I need to back it up in multiple places and pay for that storage! Enterprise storage with backup is going to be over $1 a gig buddy! That's $1,000 not $50!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chronojam posted:

Hell, when you see games touting lines like "This cost $50 Million and five years to produce", what they're not telling you is that three of those years and about 3/4's of the budget were burned in pre-production and tossed Alpha versions before they even got to starting the version that was released. You rarely actually see releases where those kinds of numbers are accurate for the final product (Breath of the Wild being a pretty likely example, considering just how much time and effort had to have gone into making the final version).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mega64 posted:

Gonna get two of every color and choose Joycons based on mood.

I also got gray

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Real hurthling! posted:

Thanks. I guess ill clear out some side quests.
Is this fight just a skill/level check like the minotaur in smtiv or is the game not gonna gently caress around for the whole ride?

Yeah, more or less, there aren't too many of these early battles but until you get your third member (which isn't too far off), it's a bit challenging, but the next member's a healer and makes things easier.

I'd say level up one or two levels, equip some better armor you have laying around and you should be fine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Meridian posted:

Holy poo poo who cares?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gray just looks nice and clean. I'd probably buy some gaudy Splattoon ones or some clear ones with LEDs so I can see the buttons in the dark. I can press them fine but it's nice to have. If you are having a lazy night of watching Netflix while playing Switch on the couch. It is so nice to go you know what this Mario Kart race needs? Some background reruns and make that happen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I kinda want a Xenoblade switch port

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Utnayan posted:

Actually when you break down the cost to silicon and plastic by weight I think the raw materials add up to less than $5

makes u think

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

I'm actually kinda half-expecting one, just to get a version out that isn't A: On a portable system with a small screen and B: doesn't have its release hosed over in the US by Gamestop.

Plus it'd be a release slot-filler until XC2.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Calaveron posted:

Pack-in with XC2 limited edition

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Day 1 buy for me if they did that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I'm half expecting this but also figure Monolith is stretched thin between helping with virtually every high end Nintendo game and trying to finish XB2 before December because it's definitely absolutely not coming to the USA this year despite what people suspect

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MarcusSA posted:

We could but hope :allears:.

"How's XC2?"

"Dunno, ask me again in about 80 hours when I finish the first one!"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Utnayan posted:

I can't get past how incredibly bad and dumb this post is, and by extension, you are.

The joycons, dock and charger are all expensive, custom stuff, Nintendo didn't design the Switch to be cheap high-margin hardware or they could have made dozens of shortcuts;
  • HDMI and/or USB connected directly to the switch instead of expensive, active dock thingy
  • Joycons non-detachable (none of that fancy bluetooth + three batteries and PMICs and whatnot)
  • Active cooling in a tablet? :laffo: let's cut that tdp in half, also we can use a shittier battery without sacrificing battery life

It is an expensive piece of hardware but that's because of their design choices, not because of profitability.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiX9mlDY9E

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Louisgod posted:

I'm half expecting this but also figure Monolith is stretched thin between helping with virtually every high end Nintendo game and trying to finish XB2 before December because it's definitely absolutely not coming to the USA this year despite what people suspect

They re-confirmed it to this year just a couple of weeks ago or so? I don't exactly expect it this year but maybe in time for Switchmas which is the beginning of March from now on. Also gently caress them if they don't do the localization in time for launch, that game was bigger outside of Japan

MarcusSA posted:

This dude thinks there'll be even one of those left on release day :allears:

Day 1 preorder or hosed

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

pixaal posted:

I'd probably buy some gaudy Splattoon ones

cannot wait for this to happen, even if it's 3rd party. my wii u gamepad has a hori splatoon shell on it and i will buy splatoon ones the second i can

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

They re-confirmed it to this year just a couple of weeks ago or so? I don't exactly expect it this year but maybe in time for Switchmas which is the beginning of March from now on. Also gently caress them if they don't do the localization in time for launch, that game was bigger outside of Japan

This year for Japan is definitely likely but lol if anybody thinks it's hitting the US before December. Best case scenario, JPN version has English subs, download off of JPN eStore, bam

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

a.lo posted:

Another switch troll

I'm still waiting on Disgaea 5

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm the pages of people engaging with Utnayan's biweekly drive by shitpost

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

I can't get past how incredibly bad and dumb this post is, and by extension, you are.

The joycons, dock and charger are all expensive, custom stuff, Nintendo didn't design the Switch to be cheap high-margin hardware or they could have made dozens of shortcuts;
  • HDMI and/or USB connected directly to the switch instead of expensive, active dock thingy
  • Joycons non-detachable (none of that fancy bluetooth + three batteries and PMICs and whatnot)
  • Active cooling in a tablet? :laffo: let's cut that tdp in half, also we can use a shittier battery without sacrificing battery life

It is an expensive piece of hardware but that's because of their design choices, not because of profitability.

None of this matters in the form of cost breakdown when you are dealing with end of life technology from three years ago.

If you look at all the components, none of this was done with any sort of advanced technology obviously. Of course there won't be active cooling. There shouldn't have to be given this device is drIving end of life components from as far back as 2011. Component breakdown remains the same. Total cost of the switch from a consumer product level is around 160-170 and absolutely no where near the claims made of 260-270. Amazing that people can't see two things. 1) If that price point were true, Nintendo would be LOSING money on every switch sold. 2) Somehow end of life technology costs what it did before it was announced end of life. Everything IN the switch is end of life from chip set manufactures. Everything.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Utnayan posted:

None of this matters in the form of cost breakdown when you are dealing with end of life technology from three years ago.

If you look at all the components, none of this was done with any sort of advanced technology obviously. Of course there won't be active cooling. There shouldn't have to be given this device is drIving end of life components from as far back as 2011. Component breakdown remains the same. Total cost of the switch from a consumer product level is around 160-170 and absolutely no where near the claims made of 260-270. Amazing that people can't see two things. 1) If that price point were true, Nintendo would be LOSING money on every switch sold. 2) Somehow end of life technology costs what it did before it was announced end of life. Everything IN the switch is end of life from chip set manufactures. Everything.
It's ~$260 actually.

• Locked thread