Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Instant Grat posted:

It only shows up on the very bottom layer of Mementos after the fallout from the 7th palace, or in the very last area on the path to the very last boss via enemy reinforcements (throw a Treasure Trap, raise the security level to 99%, get into a fight "normally", by hitting them before they spot you without ambushing them, then kill all the enemies and hope a Crystal Skull shows up instead of a Hope Diamond).

After a bunch of Hope Diamonds I gave up and just finished the game. Hopefully I'll have more luck next time, it's the very last entry I need to finish the compendium too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BriteNite
Feb 28, 2004

VoLaTiLe posted:

Clocked the game last night at around 70 hours, I really did not expect to enjoy this game let alone any other JRPG ever but got proven wrong.

I think I might go for platinum for this one just because I love the game so much.

Also the OST for this game is amazing

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but given that the average length seems to be 90-100 hours, I'm really curious as to how it's possible to beat it in 70 on a normal playthrough.

Did you skip cutscenes or spend no time doing social links or...?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rangpur posted:

poo poo, I kind of want to do this now. How many skill cards did that take?

It's more gallows and hoping you inherit the right skill unfortunately. :( Lots of saving and reloading.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

It only shows up on the very bottom layer of Mementos after the fallout from the 7th palace, or in the very last area on the path to the very last boss via enemy reinforcements (throw a Treasure Trap, raise the security level to 99%, get into a fight "normally", by hitting them before they spot you without ambushing them, then kill all the enemies and hope a Crystal Skull shows up instead of a Hope Diamond).

I'm pretty sure I got my Crystal Skull in an area before the very last combat area before the very last boss. I was like 3 hours deep into my treasure trap less grind and then on my way to the safe area before the end area, I got into another fight and another Crystal Skull popped.

Like buses...

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 5, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I now feel extremely lucky that I just randomly ran into a Crystal Skull without even trying :v:

I don't think I got a Hope Diamond, though, or at least I don't remember finding one.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ChaosArgate posted:

Every Persona will have the same stat total at the same level, so at level 99, you'll have a total of 304 in stats. That doesn't leave you a whole lot of wiggle room if you want to cap three stats. You can give yourself an extra 25 points if you use the Metatron gun though, since that's +5 to every stat.

Not quite! There are 5 demons that have more stat points than everyone else. At level 1, everyone has a stat total of 10 except:

Shiki-Ouji has a level 1 stat total of 11 (so at 99 that'd be 305, good job Shiki-Ouji);
Koumokuten has a level 1 stat total of 15 (309 at 99)
Agathion has a level 1 stat total of 16 (310 at 99)
Black Rider has a level 1 stat total of 19 (313 at 99)
Dominion has a level 1 stat total of 25 (319 at 99).

Only reason I know this offhand is that I noticed early on that Agathion had weirdly higher stats than other things of its level, so I reverse-engineered it, and then got curious and stuck the entire compendium in a thing and to calculate all the base point values. :v:

The Treasure demons are also all way, WAY higher but I don't count them because they're weird cheaters and can't be used anyway. But for funsies, Crystal Skull at level 1 would have a stat total of 103 (397 at a hypothetical 99). :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 5, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Started my NG+ playthrough yesterday, I didn't equip my super strong gear yet because I still need that stupid rear end "Rescue a Hostage" trophy that I couldn't get to pop. Crazy how much faster you can do stuff when you aren't exploring for the first time, I blazed all the way through from beginning of game to beating first palace in only a couple hours. I did FF most of the dialogue though and only watched the cutscenes that I thought were important or cool to watch again. I didn't realize UNTIL I got to the boss that I could summon the guys from my compendium (for some reason I thought I had to recombine the multi-gallows guys) so I pulled out Raphael and killed Kamoshida in like 3 hits.

Also can someone clarify something for me, I thought the key item you got from maxed confidants was supposed to make it so you can bring a matching persona and always get a rank up, or does this ONLY apply to who you romanced? I got every single Key Item except Haru's and I still had to hang with Ryuji 3 or 4 times even with a Slime before he went to R4. I will have tons of extra time due to already having maxed stats so I'm not really all that worried just wanted to make sure I understand the mechanic of how the "auto rank up" was supposed to work.

Also one other thing, do I have to get R1 with the confidant before I gain their key item benefit? I'm guessing I can't do the ambush gun volley until I meet Tower way later etc. or is it available earlier?

Scorps fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 5, 2017

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Scorps posted:

Started my NG+ playthrough yesterday, I didn't equip my super strong gear yet because I still need that stupid rear end "Rescue a Hostage" trophy that I couldn't get to pop. Crazy how much faster you can do stuff when you aren't exploring for the first time, I blazed all the way through from beginning of game to beating first palace in only a couple hours. I did FF most of the dialogue though and only watched the cutscenes that I thought were important or cool to watch again. I didn't realize UNTIL I got to the boss that I could summon the guys from my compendium (for some reason I thought I had to recombine the multi-gallows guys) so I pulled out Raphael and killed Kamoshida in like 3 hits.

Also can someone clarify something for me, I thought the key item you got from maxed confidants was supposed to make it so you can bring a matching persona and always get a rank up, or does this ONLY apply to who you romanced? I got every single Key Item except Haru's and I still had to hang with Ryuji 3 or 4 times even with a Slime before he went to R4. I will have tons of extra time due to already having maxed stats so I'm not really all that worried just wanted to make sure I understand the mechanic of how the "auto rank up" was supposed to work.

Also one other thing, do I have to get R1 with the confidant before I gain their key item benefit? I'm guessing I can't do the ambush gun volley until I meet Tower way later etc. or is it available earlier?

Only the romances; you get an extra key item from those for that purpose. And yes, you need rank one to unlock the carryover confidant bonuses.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 5, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

BriteNite posted:

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but given that the average length seems to be 90-100 hours, I'm really curious as to how it's possible to beat it in 70 on a normal playthrough.

Did you skip cutscenes or spend no time doing social links or...?

Not sure about the person you quoted, but I finished my run at almost 64 hours. I didn't min max too hard so I only got half the maxed links, especially since I only found out in September that studying in the diner was more efficient. I started skipping a lot of battles towards the end, and I did use a guide for the Strength confidant.

The playtime is probably a bit higher accounting for game overs or if I messed up a choice and reloaded but shouldn't be too many hours added.

I read fast though, I mash through unvoiced text and sometimes I press square to recap if it was more than expected and I want to double check.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I kind of wish the MC Persona had a level chart all the way up to 70 like your allies do as incentive to keep the Persona around instead of fusing and forgetting.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, my play time came in a little over 100 hours for my first playthrough, but I maxed all the confidants and spent plenty of time screwing around with fusion, running around dungeons and Mementos, that sort of thing. I can see how someone could do it in 60-70ish hours, either by not necessarily worrying about maxing everything or by really closely following a guide so there's not as much running around deciding what to do.

Harlock posted:

I kind of wish the MC Persona had a level chart all the way up to 70 like your allies do as incentive to keep the Persona around instead of fusing and forgetting.

That's the whole reason I'm excited to make an endgame-useful Arsene. I definitely wish the main characters' Personas in these games had easier ways to keep them relevant, especially given how cool they tend to be.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 5, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Persona 6 definitely needs to make your characters official Persona be naturally usable, but never optimal for the duration of the game. If they build it like they do for party member Persona, it wouldn't really have the issue of making it the only one you need because it wouldn't be all purpose.

Then from there, if you want to make him your ultimate Persona, you should be able to do that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Captain No-mates posted:

I'm midway through June and I'm wondering if the coffee shop owner's social link is story gated? I'm only on rank 3 but I've hung out with him like 3 times with a same type persona but we're still not going to get closer next time.

That curry recipe is a secret.

Endorph posted:

you get the same amount of s. link exp for sojiro from making coffee as you do from hanging out with him and you can do it on days he isn't even 'available' for s. links so yeah

Do you get s. Link with Sojiro when Kawakami makes the coffee?
Does Kawakami get s. Link with Sojiro when she makes the coffee?
Will Futaba appreciate her new mom?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You get nothing but the item when Kawakami does things for you. The coffee thing isn't a huge deal because Sojiro only ranks up slow because he's gated and levels off to normal S.Link speed once you pass it but it's never really worth it for her to make you lockpicks because it's your #1 source of Proficiency in the game which should be double incentive to just make them yourself and have her make you coffee the day you make them instead.

Kawakami is for eternal love and massage, not slave labour IMO

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harlock posted:

This seems like a good time to announce that I'm running for the office of Lead Game Designer for Persona 6. If elected, my first act will be to mandate a female main character, and my second act will be to revamp how party member Personas work and give them some unique skills, but my third act will definitely be to do that thing you're talking about, probably.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

A Persona where everyone has the wild card but can only summon within their arcana.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You get nothing but the item when Kawakami does things for you. The coffee thing isn't a huge deal because Sojiro only ranks up slow because he's gated and levels off to normal S.Link speed once you pass it but it's never really worth it for her to make you lockpicks because it's your #1 source of Proficiency in the game which should be double incentive to just make them yourself and have her make you coffee the day you make them instead.

It also bears reminding that you don't get credit towards the trophy if you have Kawakami make a tool for you.

I learned this the hard way when I made everything but had Kawakami craft the Megido Bomb one night without realizing that the game wouldn't give me credit for it. As it occurred right before 12/24, I had no opportunity to grind out the three Liquid Mercury needed.

Her time is much better spent on:

eternal love and massage

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Can you opt not to carry anything over, or mid and match what you want on a ng+? Gonna do hard then merciless instead of straight merciless.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

You can choose to inherit all the NG+ benefits, or none so while you can choose to not carry over there really isn't much difference to starting an entirely different save IMO besides that you have the Cup on your save game screen. No mix and match possible unless you want to count specifically not taking the key items from certain people you maxed in order to redo them or something. Like you could pick and choose which Confidant benefits you want but you can't for example say "carry over only my money but not my equipment etc."

It's worth noting that when you start NG+ it does UNEQUIP all your gear so you don't have to use it if you want to stay fairly evenly powered. While you can summon whatever you want from compendium you also don't have to do it. I for the most part have just been giving my guys slightly better weapons than they should have for the time and staying away from using super persona's except on bosses because it's fun to kill Kamoshidas cup in 1 hit at level 10.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 5, 2017

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

AG3 posted:

After a bunch of Hope Diamonds I gave up and just finished the game. Hopefully I'll have more luck next time, it's the very last entry I need to finish the compendium too.

Easiest way too catch a crystal skull/hope diamond (you want the star link escape bonuses):

Go to the last level of mementos and use a treasure trap.

Switch floors until you find a treasure persona spawn (stationary diamond on the map)

Engage. If it's not the one you want then run away.

The treasure persona will have despawned. Worry not! Find any other enemy on the level, including the reaper. Engage and run away from them.

The treasure persona will have spawned in its original location. Repeat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harlock posted:

A Persona where everyone has the wild card but can only summon within their arcana.

That's pretty close to how Persona 1 and 2 worked. Everyone could switch Personas but had different affinities with the Arcana so each character had a set of Personas they were best at using.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Can you opt not to carry anything over, or mid and match what you want on a ng+? Gonna do hard then merciless instead of straight merciless.

It's all or nothing.

If you wanted to just carry over social stats or something, you could just sell all your items/equipment and then dump all the money on Persona fusions/summonings (and then delete those Personas). Then just never summon above your level in the compendium, I suppose. You'd still have your social stats and the confidant key items but none of the things that will make combat easier.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 5, 2017

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wait, you can choose to carry nothing over into NG+? Hell yes, time to start my 100% merciless run as soon as I get home

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wait, you can choose to carry nothing over into NG+? Hell yes, time to start my 100% merciless run as soon as I get home

Yes, you do this by starting a regular new game. The whole idea of "New Game+" is that you carry over a bunch of stuff from your previous playthrough :confused:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Some people have mentioned that there's a boss fight and some persona gated behind ng+, and that's really the only reason I'd do it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are.

It's much easier to do everything on NG+ obviously and there are a small number of dialogue choices gated by stats but they're not significant in importance or amount.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

There are.

It's much easier to do everything on NG+ obviously and there are a small number of dialogue choices gated by stats but they're not significant in importance or amount.

Is it just ice burn Igor and catch the chalk?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DalaranJ posted:

Is it just ice burn Igor and catch the chalk?

It's pretty much just dodge the chalk and gain charisma that you don't need because you're max everything.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

ROFL Octopus posted:

It's pretty much just dodge the chalk and gain charisma that you don't need because you're max everything.

Super mega ending spoilers!! I wish they pulled a chrono trigger and get different endings in ng+ by challenging figor at different points. Like anytime you're in the velvet room you can call him out.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hackan Slash posted:

Super mega ending spoilers!! I wish they pulled a chrono trigger and get different endings in ng+ by challenging figor at different points. Like anytime you're in the velvet room you can call him out.

That idea reminds me of Zettai Hero Project's NG+.
There are extra endings, but since you've beating the big bad before solving a bunch of people's problems, they're all bad endings

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Instant Grat posted:

Yes, you do this by starting a regular new game. The whole idea of "New Game+" is that you carry over a bunch of stuff from your previous playthrough :confused:

But I don't want to play through a NG+ file where I have to intentionally cripple myself to not murder everything and also have all my social stats already maxed so that entire aspect of the game is gone just for one NG+ only boss and persona. I need that platty but I also want to play the parts of the game that make it fun.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

But I don't want to play through a NG+ file where I have to intentionally cripple myself to not murder everything and also have all my social stats already maxed so that entire aspect of the game is gone just for one NG+ only boss and persona. I need that platty but I also want to play the parts of the game that make it fun.

I mean it's not like they auto summon any Persona's for you, they unequip all your gear also. I thought part of the allure of NG+ would be to complete all the confidants more easily since you have extra time due to not needing skill increases and to have a bunch of money at the start. If you already maxed them all in NG I can see why you wouldn't inherit, I mean your reasoning makes sense it's just masochistic sounding to me but then again you did say you are doing merciless so perhaps it fits.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, I'm in december, and because everyone told me I had plenty of time to max out confidants, I slept on it a bit, now I only have a few max confidants, none of them are on my team, and I don't have enough money for end game gear. I'm not going to start over though, and I'm not sure I want to play another 100+ hours of Persona 5.

I wish I could have just hacked my stats in at max.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

You definitely don't need to buy end game gear I honestly don't think I ever bought anything from the gun store besides a few gun upgrades later. Where specifically are you at now, have you completed Palace 7? It might be too late to complete the confidants but you can still beat the game, if nothing else don't forget you can lower it down to Easy which reduces the damage you take by 1/2 or so and boosts your damage a bit. There are no penalties for doing this or trophies to miss, it would be a real shame to not complete the game if you've come so far so definitely consider this option before giving up in despair.

If you weren't maxing confidants or attributes while you were "sleeping on it" tho what exactly were you doing just out of curiousity?

I will say that the assumption of most people in terms of time it takes to max out confidants definitely probably assumes you are getting all the dialogue choices correct to give max +notes during all the actual rank up scenes. I can easily see how if you only got like 50% the way they want you to answer you might end up wasting 2-3 days per time "hanging" and only getting note increases.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 5, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Persona 6 definitely needs to make your characters official Persona be naturally usable, but never optimal for the duration of the game. If they build it like they do for party member Persona, it wouldn't really have the issue of making it the only one you need because it wouldn't be all purpose.

Then from there, if you want to make him your ultimate Persona, you should be able to do that.
the issue with this is that it might discourage players from fusing much at all, or realizing that they need to give the protagonist a persona for every situation.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Scorps posted:

I mean it's not like they auto summon any Persona's for you, they unequip all your gear also. I thought part of the allure of NG+ would be to complete all the confidants more easily since you have extra time due to not needing skill increases and to have a bunch of money at the start. If you already maxed them all in NG I can see why you wouldn't inherit, I mean your reasoning makes sense it's just masochistic sounding to me but then again you did say you are doing merciless so perhaps it fits.

I came into the Persona series because Nocturne is my favorite game, so I'm mostly here for the combat and fusing and poo poo because I love hard video games. I've beaten Devil Survivor like five times and have never once played it on a NG+ because I really like just playing the games for the combat and difficulty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway tbh the social stats are poo poo and unfun so even if it leads to you having a ton of free days maxing them all out at the start isn't bad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

anyway tbh the social stats are poo poo and unfun so even if it leads to you having a ton of free days maxing them all out at the start isn't bad

Honestly nothing would be lost if they just got rid of social stats entirely.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

the issue with this is that it might discourage players from fusing much at all, or realizing that they need to give the protagonist a persona for every situation.

I think Orpheus Telos was a nice compromise for this. Yeah Orpheus sucks, but you can summon an OP version of him at the end of the game if you played your cards right.

Izanagi-No-Okami was almost this but he doesn't get any fusion exp and he can't be registered so he's not nearly as fun to make.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like raising social stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I like raising social stats.

I don't like being locked from confidants for the majority of the game because I need rank 4 guts and I only have rank 1.