Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is it possible to go straight to ganon or do you have to do the divine beasts + master sword first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Jose posted:

is it possible to go straight to ganon or do you have to do the divine beasts + master sword first?

You can confront Ganon the moment you get the paraglider. I believe you're forced to fight all 4 blighted Ganon bosses at the castle before the final Ganon, but the point still remains.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hmm i really want to watch it but i've 3 divine beasts and the master sword still to get so don't want to spoil it

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Jose posted:

hmm i really want to watch it but i've 3 divine beasts and the master sword still to get so don't want to spoil it

The most impressive part of a speedrun is the part where people ride stasis'd rocks/tree logs to the top of the Temple of Time. I never thought of Using a well placed arrow after building up stasis with a weapon to pinpoint the exact trajectory an object will take.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Crusher posted:

The most impressive part of a speedrun is the part where people ride stasis'd rocks/tree logs to the top of the Temple of Time. I never thought of Using a well placed arrow after building up stasis with a weapon to pinpoint the exact trajectory an object will take.

:eyepop:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Do we ever get the ability to call our horses from anywhere?

Because having to be within a very short distance of them for them to come is dumb as hell and seems needlessly limiting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreatGreen posted:

Do we ever get the ability to call our horses from anywhere?

Because having to be within a very short distance of them for them to come is dumb as hell and seems needlessly limiting.

No, no you do not.

You can resummon them at any stable though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The Crusher posted:

Seems like all the ghosts could have got together for a little celebration.

I thought they did, kind of. Did you get all the memories?

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

mastajake posted:

I thought they did, kind of. Did you get all the memories?

I did all 4 divine beasts, the master sword, and the final memory that Impa shows you. After the credits I just get Zelda talking about visiting the Zoras and telling Link they got a lot of rebuilding to do with some dramatic smiling from Zelda. Is there more to it than that? The last thing I saw of the champions was them being stoked to fire their giant lasers at Ganon

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Crusher posted:

I did all 4 divine beasts, the master sword, and the final memory that Impa shows you. After the credits I just get Zelda talking about visiting the Zoras and telling Link they got a lot of rebuilding to do with some dramatic smiling from Zelda. Is there more to it than that? The last thing I saw of the champions was them being stoked to fire their giant lasers at Ganon

There's a short scene before the final Zelda scene, where Link and Zelda slowly walk away from Hyrule Castle while King Rhoam and the guardians watch from above. Nothing too exciting, but it's there.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Mega64 posted:

There's a short scene before the final Zelda scene, where Link and Zelda slowly walk away from Hyrule Castle while King Rhoam and the guardians watch from above. Nothing too exciting, but it's there.

Dunno how I missed that. Guess I'll have to beat it again when I'm not so sleepy. I really love the world and environment so I hope DLC fleshes it out somehow. Thanks.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zore posted:

No, no you do not.

You can resummon them at any stable though.

Wow, that's the most annoying, unnecessarily arbitrary thing I've heard about yet.

It's even more obnoxious than Nintendo forcing the right-most face button on the controller to be the OK/acknowledge/interact button when that button has been the universally established, standardized cancel button for literally every other application that has ever been controlled with a controller since the super nintendo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

It's even more obnoxious than Nintendo forcing the right-most face button on the controller to be the OK/acknowledge/interact button when that button has been the universally established, standardized cancel button for literally every other application that has ever been controlled with a controller since the super nintendo.

Nintendo is the only one who does it right

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

GreatGreen posted:

Wow, that's the most annoying, unnecessarily arbitrary thing I've heard about yet.

The right most button is "A". Isn't the A button almost always the OK?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

jivjov posted:

The right most button is "A". Isn't the A button almost always the OK?

It doesn't matter what the button is named. I could name a dog turd "delicious chicken sandwich" and it wouldn't change the taste.

The left or bottom face button is always the primary positive interaction button for everything, the right-most face button is always cancel. This became the standard for everything years ago because it's what feels natural for human hands.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Pressing A feels perfectly natural to me

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

jivjov posted:

Pressing A feels perfectly natural to me

What is the last console you owned besides the Switch?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
And I think this argument/series of posts pretty much finishes off the thread for me

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rubiks Pubes posted:

And I think this argument/series of posts pretty much finishes off the thread for me

I'm the self-indulging "I'm leaving" post :thumbsup:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I'll miss you, Rubiks Pubes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GreatGreen posted:

What is the last console you owned besides the Switch?

Wii U and Xbone

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

It doesn't matter what the button is named. I could name a dog turd "delicious chicken sandwich" and it wouldn't change the taste.

The left or bottom face button is always the primary positive interaction button for everything, the right-most face button is always cancel. This became the standard for everything years ago because it's what feels natural for human hands.

Not true. In Japan, Circle on the Playstation is still confirm and X is still cancel, which is why those symbols are in those positions on the controller. Things got very confusing during the SNES era and on in the west until the Xbox controller came out with the "standardized" positions for the western world. However, Nintendo consoles, from the N64 on have always had confirm on the right and cancel on the left. This applies to every handheld they've made, too.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

GreatGreen posted:

You know that in Japan, the Circle button is confirm and the X button is cancel for a lot of games, right?

edit:efb

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's a scheme by Sony of America and Microsoft to confuse western gamers.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The Crusher posted:

Dunno how I missed that. Guess I'll have to beat it again when I'm not so sleepy. I really love the world and environment so I hope DLC fleshes it out somehow. Thanks.

If you skip the credits, it skips that scene.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've never had any issues swapping between Playstation and Nintendo layouts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It is sometimes tricky for me to switch between the Switch pro controller and the xbone controller since they are the same.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Motto posted:

I've never had any issues swapping between Playstation and Nintendo layouts.

Switching between games where attack buttons work differently is always way more confusing for me than switching controller layouts. Going from Nier to Dark Souls for instance

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Only issue I ever have is with QTE games. The slight difference in the face buttons for Xbox 360 and Nintendo systems made for some rather frustrating elements. Then again QTE's that have nothing to do with actual non-QTE button elements are always terrible so no real big loss.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

smh if you didn't learn about good old Zabie with Chrono Trigger.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Phantasium posted:

smh if you didn't learn about good old Zabie with Chrono Trigger.

Who can forget L,A,R,A besides. L,O,R,O for PlayStation I guess.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So about the horses, there's seriously nothing in the game that makes them operate like mounts in every other game?

Maybe I'm not understanding something here. Is there any part of limiting the mount system in the way it's been limited (having to spend time traveling back to where you last used your horse so you can ride your horse, totally negating any time savings you'd get from riding your horse) that makes the game more fun?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's good for exploring new areas as you can just let the horse run along a road and it will steer itself.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

You can ask to take out a horse that you left across the map at any stable and they'll summon it up for you. The whistle range is also pretty far.

I just like that they follow roads and are way easy to use and fight with. Half the time on a horse in battlefield I'm struggling to get it to listen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GreatGreen posted:

So about the horses, there's seriously nothing in the game that makes them operate like mounts in every other game?

Maybe I'm not understanding something here. Is there any part of limiting the mount system in the way it's been limited (having to spend time traveling back to where you last used your horse so you can ride your horse, totally negating any time savings you'd get from riding your horse) that makes the game more fun?

You can pick up your horse at any stable; even if you left it on the slopes of Death Mountain

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I have done the three genocides, and now wait for the DLC so I can get do the Trial of the Sword and, also, get the Korok mask and get the drat 100% my broke brain craves. Not doing Hard Mode unless it's in a second save slot.

Edit: Probably putting the Travel Medallion warp point right outside Hyrule Castle, unless it can be left IN Hyrule Castle, in which case I'm dropping that thing right outside the Sanctum.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 7, 2017

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Throwing my hat into the "A" button argument: Nintendo always makes the rightmost button (A) the "yes," interact button. "B" (the bottom button) has always been the "no," cancel button. They've done this on every console and handheld they've done. If you are primarily a Nintendo gamer, like me, you don't even notice it. Sony, back in the 90s when it was trying to distinguish itself, made the bottom button (X) confirm and the rightmost button (circle) cancel, in an effort to be different from Nintendo. Now, Sony's home consoles have sold far, far more than Nintendo's home consoles have (~389m vs ~284m) so people are more used to Sony's ways of doing things. (Overall Nintendo still beats Sony, with ~700m to ~475m sales of console+handheld combined, but a lot of that was the Gameboy and DS, so older and perhaps less relevant today.)

Personally, for me, whenever I pull out one of my various Playstations, that's when I notice it, because that's the way that feels awkward to me because I very rarely play outside of the Nintendo environment.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If you can't traveller's medallion to right out side the Sanctum, I have no idea where i'd put mine.

Pretty much everywhere else of interest in the world is close enough to a shrine.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Crawfish posted:

If you can't traveller's medallion to right out side the Sanctum, I have no idea where i'd put mine.

Pretty much everywhere else of interest in the world is close enough to a shrine.
When I was hunting Hinoxes/Taluses there were a few points where I wished I could have laid down a warp point about five minutes from a shrine so I wouldn't have to double back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Playing through Wind Waker HD & Ocarina of Time 3d after putting BotW on the shelf till the DLC really made me appreciate BotW's 'gently caress it, go anywhere you want' model. Though the dungeons in those two games were way more satisfying than the Divine Beasts.