Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

so use a steam refund

I mean presumably a demo would also be quicker to download as well, so that would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Mann posted:

If there was a Wario version of Bowser, would his name be Wowser?

A good guy dinosaur / dragon (what is bowser anyways) named Wowser sounds really cool :allears:

ᘀowser

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wowser

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

(what is bowser anyways)

he's a koopa

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

the Steam gifting thread whose (whom's?) birthday is today

the birthday of which is etc etc

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Not sure what to think of Nier Automata. I've played it for 4 hours and the story feels like it'd be more effective and shocking had I not played and gotten all trophies for the first game 6 years ago - I also don't have the same tolerance for Japanese melodrama as I did back then, and the character tropes of Shy Boy and Stoic Girl do nothing for me. The combat is also too simple to be fun as well and I can already guess all the gimmicks it's going to throw at me from playing the first.
I'll put a few more hours into it and if it doesn't get any better I'll just drop it??? Video games.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

GUI posted:

Not sure what to think of Nier Automata. I've played it for 4 hours and the story feels like it'd be more effective and shocking had I not played and gotten all trophies for the first game 6 years ago - I also don't have the same tolerance for Japanese melodrama as I did back then, and the character tropes of Shy Boy and Stoic Girl do nothing for me. The combat is also too simple to be fun as well and I can already guess all the gimmicks it's going to throw at me from playing the first.
I'll put a few more hours into it and if it doesn't get any better I'll just drop it??? Video games.

Don't feel bad about Nier A not clicking with you, its not a bad game but the fervour lashed on it on these forums would have you thinking its a life changing masterpiece up there with the Mona Lisa and putting men on the moon when its really only platinums 5th best videogame

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That puts it in the top five games of all time though :confused:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sakurazuka posted:

That puts it in the top five games of all time though :confused:

I'd like to introduce you to other genres

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wikipedia posted:

In 2006, two commercials advertising the Ford SportKa in the UK proved controversial when it received complaints for their content. The first commercial included a pigeon being whacked and killed by the hood of the car while it was flying near the car.[59] The second advertisement saw the SportKa opening its sunroof to let a cat's head in. The sunroof then closed and beheaded the cat.[60] After many complaints, these advertisements were removed from air and not shown again.

Jesus christ

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I bet there's the same % of hyped people disappointed after seeing Mona Lisa in person as those who played Nier: A so.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Palpek posted:

I bet there's the same % of hyped people disappointed after seeing Mona Lisa in person as those who played Nier: A so.

I wonder what sort of commonality there is between these two groups

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It is 4:50 am and I am in the lobby of my hotel because the roommate that they gave me for my week of training snores like a buzz-saw.

I hate hotels so drat much.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Nier Automata Is really good imo. Looking forward to playing through the DLC. But 1st finishing up Persona 5.

What I wouldn't give to have a week off and just play Persona 5.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sefal posted:

Nier Automata Is really good imo. Looking forward to playing through the DLC. But 1st finishing up Persona 5.

What I wouldn't give to have a week off and just play Persona 5.

Not enough time

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I played Prey all weekend and it really does own. Like I've seen people saying that it looks a bit generic, which I guess I can see even though I like the clean scifi look. But the gameplay and level design is incredibly tight, in typical arkane fashion, with really sprawling objectives that I wasn't expecting to be so involved. If you are a fan of this genre its a must play imo.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Getting old sucks for video game playing

I think I played 2 hours of personal total

Puzzles and Dragons I can play while pooping at work at least

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

ZenVulgarity posted:

Getting old sucks for video game playing

It does and it doesn't, yesterday i was quite keen to get Horizon finished but it was such a fantastically sunny day that I ended up going for a 14 mile hike. Videogames are cool but the older you get the more you realise there is a time and a place.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Macarius Wrench posted:

It does and it doesn't, yesterday i was quite keen to get Horizon finished but it was such a fantastically sunny day that I ended up going for a 14 mile hike. Videogames are cool but the older you get the more you realise there is a time and a place.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The time is all the time and the place is everywhere thanks to the power of the Nintendo SwitchTM -- a home console that doubles as a portable device, bringing you the latest and greatest in graphics and design in your backpack.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If it's sunny outside I just close the curtains

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hiking 14 miles to play the switch... game on ✊

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

I'm from the UK man we only get sunshine like we had this weekend about 3 days a year!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you don't perform strenuous physical activity while also gaming every single day, then you're playing your entire life on casual mode.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[wokely, bravely] there's nothing wrong with casuals

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Macarius Wrench posted:

It does and it doesn't, yesterday i was quite keen to get Horizon finished but it was such a fantastically sunny day that I ended up going for a 14 mile hike.

I see, raising your pokemon with the pokewalker - good thinking

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GUI posted:

Slight spoilers: I think the game still has some surprises in store for you. That said, if you're super familiar with Yoko Taro's work, you might be able to guess where it's going for the most part.

Anyway never feel bad for not digging a game other people like, it's cool to not like things :)

oddium posted:

[wokely, bravely] there's nothing wrong with casuals

hosed up if true

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The truth is cap, I was always a casual gamer.

*transforms into the contents of a bargain bin at gamestop and consists of eighty seven copies of Fifa 14*

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nier:A was a weird game for me where I don't think the individual moments or spoilers really mattered to me all that much, it's never going to be a "well if you wait until X hours in, this or that will happen and you'll start liking it more" or "well knowing this ahead of time from the first game means I'm spoiled on this." The actual background and nitty gritty of how/what/when/where/why of that world is kind of inconsequential to the character moments and general existential introspection that is the real meat of the narrative. There are also a lot of subtle bits of characterization and contrast when you start seeing other character's perspectives on a variety of events/battles that will make you look back on so many things with a retrospective sense that really enhances the experience. It's a real special game for its story but not for reasons that I'm used to (or able to explain all that well) in other story-heavy games.

As for the combat, yeah it's not particularly hard or special, but at least it's inoffensive and overall doesn't distract from the story in a way that you so often have to make excuses for in other story-heavy games.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I love charity shops because every single one you go into will have a random selection of FIFA, PES and Tiger Woods games from the past 20 years but every now and again you'll find a diamond in the rough like Mark Eckos Getting Up or Snake Eater Subsistence for the price of a bag o chips.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Real gamers know that the true gaming hardcore is having impossible top scores in the most casual games. Game on Wolf and Eggs grandmasters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Palpek posted:

Real gamers know that the true gaming hardcore is having impossible top scores in the most casual games. Game on Wolf and Eggs grandmasters.

My mom is probably the most hardcore gamer on earth.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Palpek posted:

it's speedrunning c-tier n64 games at gdq

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I spent a large portion of the weekend watching speed run documentaries about Mario games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Malakoopalings

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I spent a large portion of the weekend watching speed run documentaries about Mario games.

You should watch The King of Kong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

You should watch The King of Kong.

I've seen that! That was a fun documentary.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished MM Zero, kinda feel like I cheesed the last boss but on the other hand gently caress that guy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got a message on PS4 from someone today and apparently people paying for platinum trophies is a dumb thing I never knew existed

Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Help Im Alive posted:

I got a message on PS4 from someone today and apparently people paying for platinum trophies is a dumb thing I never knew existed

Why

Never underestimate a nerd's desire for internet reputation points

• Locked thread