Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Pretty sure Graviton would turn Dethlok into the equivalent of a stomped soda can pretty quickly.

Comics-Graviton no doubt, but TV Graviton?

(I just want there to be a TV Graviton so we can argue about this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

howe_sam posted:

renewed?

It's not an official announcement but,

They were frequently wrong on their predictions last year -- they claimed CBS wouldn't cancel Limitless or The Mysteries of Laura, but they did. Tv By The Numbers (AKA The Cancellation Bear) is suggesting a renewal, though, giving the show four bears out of five, though they think it'll only be for a shortened, final season. Tv Line is fence sitting, and the TV Grim Reaper is giving SHIELD a 35% chance. (It has some special hidden capital-F Formula that it uses to calculate values to the percent. Sounds like sheer wankery, honestly.)

That said, no-one's had time to factor in the just breaking news about Once Upon A Time -- which looks like it's going through substantial changes, including the loss of nearly all of the leads including the main character -- which is really good news for SHIELD. ABC is in dire enough straights as it is; Channing Dungey's produced a lot of crap shows in her first year. She needs something to suggest stability among the channel's genre shows. It can't just be all Shondaland, all the time. Especially when Shondaland is producing a literal Romeo And Juliet sequel.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 8, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Was it this thread where syndication was discussed, and someone mentioned that it's already reached the threshold for it? Just wondering if that's going to be a factor in whether it gets renewed or not.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Effort post incoming!

irlZaphod posted:

Was it this thread where syndication was discussed, and someone mentioned that it's already reached the threshold for it? Just wondering if that's going to be a factor in whether it gets renewed or not.

It has reached syndication -- or the new level for syndication. It used to be 100 episodes, now it's 88.

However, the rumour is that production companies still get significantly more money for selling at old syndication levels rather than the new ones -- hence why Person Of Interest managed to scrape to 100 episodes despite airing on a channel that didn't appreciate it. I think that's what happened in the case of Fringe as well (though I'm not sure when the bar for syndication was lowered, unfortunately.)

Another point in the show's favour, is that you generally assume that Marvel's well versed in cult fan mentality. It's pretty bad word of mouth for them to cancel SHIELD (which has gained a fairly hardcore audience despite its rocky start) without an ending. Marvel's clearly trying to launch a number of new shows this year: Runaways, Inhumans, Cloak And Dagger... Iron Fist has caused enough damage to the television brand name already, and you can bet that they're worried about Inhumans as a result (Scott Buck strikes again!). They don't need pissed off and vocal fanbase poisoning the well. Not when there's one fresh turd floating there already.

A cancellation now also makes the sale and resale value of the show to streaming services far lower than it would otherwise be. The streaming model puts far more emphasis on having complete series. Jed and Maurissa aren't planning on ending the show this season; it's likely to end in a cliffhanger. Marvel aren't going to happy to leave things hanging.

Ultimately, it makes sense to me that the show will be renewed for a final season of 12/13 episodes, to air early next year. It gets them their money back (and more) by crossing the 100 episode threshold, it provides a longevity of resale on the product, and maintains stability both for Marvel during this time of transition and for ABC during this rocky period it's currently going through.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fringe was also a personal favorite of whoever was doing the TV scheduling at Fox at the time

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always wondered about Buck being given high profile shows to run, but then I realized Dexter has a massive cult of popularity that think the show was genius from start to finish, similar to people with Walking Dead.

I'd like to see May and Karnak fight
"I can see the flaw in all things"
"Really? So can I" *does an amazing flip slam taking out Karnak*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

They've been dropping hints that BW isn't a normal person in several films now.

idk if I just got wooshed but the Red Room isn't exactly known for leaving people well adjusted international secret agents

they visited a prototype of it in Agent Carter and hoo boy that was messed up :stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chokes McGee posted:

idk if I just got wooshed but the Red Room isn't exactly known for leaving people well adjusted international secret agents

they visited a prototype of it in Agent Carter and hoo boy that was messed up :stare:

There's emotionally scarred and then there's dosed with turbo-steroids, I was assuming Rhyno meant the latter, not the former.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

howe_sam posted:

There's emotionally scarred and then there's dosed with turbo-steroids, I was assuming Rhyno meant the latter, not the former.

I actually think they do both but hell if I know

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

They were frequently wrong on their predictions last year -- they claimed CBS wouldn't cancel Limitless

Still hurts.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet, but is it safe to assume the show won't make any direct references to it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its unlikely to involve SHIELD like the Avengers/Captain America movies so at most they'd do some thematic reference like with Dr Strange. But I doubt even that since they're a little too busy to find a reason to talk about aliens. At most maybe Coulson will make a quip or something.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

STAC Goat posted:

Its unlikely to involve SHIELD like the Avengers/Captain America movies so at most they'd do some thematic reference like with Dr Strange. But I doubt even that since they're a little too busy to find a reason to talk about aliens. At most maybe Coulson will make a quip or something.

doubt it's even that much. Guardians is so far removed from AoS at this point that there's not even anything to quip upon...

e: Although... I guess it is possible.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet, but is it safe to assume the show won't make any direct references to it?

Doubtful. The vast majority of the movie happened on the other side of the galaxy. There may be a line about the giant blue blob in Missouri but I kind of doubt it, since they're a little occupied with Aida.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean like someone might make a meta joke about aliens or talking raccoons or something just for laughs. But AoS is way too removed from Guardians (or vice versa) and way too deep into its season to actually do anything like they've done with past movies.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Coulson will just make yet another Star Wars reference instead.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Azhais posted:

Fringe was also a personal favorite of whoever was doing the TV scheduling at Fox at the time

Might it have to do with one of the main stars being related to an important studio guy?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if, if we ever actually have Johnny properly on the show, Danny gets obliquely referenced. Just a passing mention of "other Riders", possibly a montage.

Johnny Blaze is the Hal Jordan of Ghost Riders.

There, I said it.

Rhyno posted:

In later runs Johnny discovered he had that power as well.

Can't have a cooler Ghost Rider than Johnny, can we?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only guy that's actually kind of happy that the X-Men universe is finally getting good movies and isn't in the MCU?

I never really liked X-Men existing in main Marvel continuity because the line between mutants and "random dude who gets his power in a lab accident" is so non-distinct, the bias against one group and not the other always seemed off. Maybe it's years of movies and such, but X-Men works so much better as it's own contained universe in my opinion, and the MCU is better off for it too.

A good example is Spider-Man. In a world where there's like thousands of mutants, why the hell does anyone give a poo poo about him?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe indirectly. They setup some characters that I could see appearing in Thor Ragnarok, which in turn might get a reference.

But the greater Marvel universe is SO far removed from typical life on Earth I seriously doubt it. It'd be like Daredevil on Netflix having a one-off episode where he fights space pirates. It'd be a huge what the gently caress.

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, no-one's had time to factor in the just breaking news about Once Upon A Time -- which looks like it's going through substantial changes, including the loss of nearly all of the leads including the main character -- which is really good news for SHIELD.

Talk about beating a dead loving horse into paste, Jesus Christ. Has that ever worked for a show, ever? Even when it turns out OK (the Farscape cast taking over Stargate) people tune out in droves, every loving time.

PS: I'm laughing that Taken might live due to international ratings. I've never watched that show but knowing the movies (and how quick they turned to poo poo), it would have been an amazing comedy if every episode began with someone taking something from the main character, a phone call where he finds out it was TAKEN, and then a rampage of possibly unnecessary revenge to get it back. I just want to see him go on a rampage to recover a lawn gnome or something.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 9, 2017

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!

Floppychop posted:

Doubtful. The vast majority of the movie happened on the other side of the galaxy. There may be a line about the giant blue blob in Missouri but I kind of doubt it, since they're a little occupied with Aida.

The events of Guardians 2 took place in 2014, so any references to it would have to be flashbacks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Blazing Ownager posted:

I never really liked X-Men existing in main Marvel continuity because the line between mutants and "random dude who gets his power in a lab accident" is so non-distinct, the bias against one group and not the other always seemed off.
:ughh:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I never really liked X-Men existing in main Marvel continuity because the line between mutants and "random dude who gets his power in a lab accident" is so non-distinct, the bias against one group and not the other always seemed off. Maybe it's years of movies and such, but X-Men works so much better as it's own contained universe in my opinion, and the MCU is better off for it too.

This is my issue, as well. People in-universe are comfortable with The Avengers or the Fantastic Four, but X-stories are all about racism and genocide, where mutants are this terrifying Other that needs to be snuffed out with fascism. There are space aliens and living gods and literal magic, but also the government is going to build a day-glo Auschwitz for mutants because some weird-looking kid's limbs are stretchy.

The tonal whiplash is kind of absurd. It's also why I doubt Inhumans will ever be what Marvel wants. They're kind of like mutants, but they also have a king. His name is Blackagar Boltagon, he has a gigantic dog, and he lives on the moon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm totally fine with the franchises being split, because it's already convoluted and overcrowded NOW, let alone adding 500 mutant characters into the mix. Big crossovers worked in comics because you had multiple series with issues coming out constantly. Good luck packing all that into a 2 hour movie. I have no idea what Marvel would do if they ever got the X license back.

The MSJ posted:

Might it have to do with one of the main stars being related to an important studio guy?
Maybe, but reportedly Fox in general loved the show so they kept it going. There's no way it would've gone as long as it did otherwise, and I say that as someone who loved Fringe. It was far too weird and niche and experimental in the later seasons to make it on its own.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Preview of today's episode. Coulson is asked if May-be "made a move" on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_IwNt0T88c

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bodzilla posted:

The events of Guardians 2 took place in 2014, so any references to it would have to be flashbacks.

Where'd you pick up the timing of Guardians 2 being 2014?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
They have a scene set in 1980, then a "34 years later" label on a scene that was current with the rest of the movie.

Considering a lot of the other MCU movies happened in the same week, and Iron Man came out in 2008, the MCU might be a little before current time, or GoTG might be a little behind the other movies.

Also, if SHIELD references anything, it will be A giant pile of blue alien goop sprouting up behind a DQ and wrecking part of a town.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Although this is reminding me why I always go out to see the MCU movies eventually instead of waiting for the home version so I don't get spoiled following Agents of Shield and the Netflix shows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe, but reportedly Fox in general loved the show so they kept it going. There's no way it would've gone as long as it did otherwise, and I say that as someone who loved Fringe. It was far too weird and niche and experimental in the later seasons to make it on its own.

In the same way, I'm sort of perplexed that Person of Interest lasted as long as it did (and managed to go out on its own terms). After the 1st season (and maybe some of the second), the show went from "Yeah, we're a Procedural of the Week, yes sir...*WINK*" to turning into a mind-gently caress series that explored free will, sapience and whether an AI's agenda would include the long-term survival of humanity as a partner to be protected or a slave to be controlled. That show is hands down my favorite "Network" show. It was my favorite show, period, until Nolan went from PoI to do West World, which is even more of a mind-gently caress.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OB_Juan posted:

They have a scene set in 1980, then a "34 years later" label on a scene that was current with the rest of the movie.

Considering a lot of the other MCU movies happened in the same week, and Iron Man came out in 2008, the MCU might be a little before current time, or GoTG might be a little behind the other movies.

Also, if SHIELD references anything, it will be A giant pile of blue alien goop sprouting up behind a DQ and wrecking part of a town.

Plus, James Gunn has said in a few interviews. The reason for it was so that Baby Groot could be a thing in the movie and still have a reason to have a full grown Groot in Infinity War.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus, James Gunn has said in a few interviews. The reason for it was so that Baby Groot could be a thing in the movie and still have a reason to have a full grown Groot in Infinity War.

Good point.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
One of my favorite things about the MCU is how everything is supposed to be happening in real time, because that's so drat simple. Every time someone suggests that they're moving away from that I roll my eyes and see the MCU creeping closer to the hopeless tangled clusterfuck that comics are with endless alternate timelines and time travel and dimensions. Being a comic book world, it's inevitable that's where the MCU will end up, but the longer they can stay away from that the longer it will stay coherent and successful.

Having this mostly disconnected movie randomly take place a few years out of sync with everything else isn't that bad, but it's a first step down a slippery slope. If they expect movie goers world wide to eventually keep track of multiple timelines in multiple universes like in actual comics, they're going to be disappointed. Also like in actual comics.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ah the Groot/Hulk smashathon is going to be great

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Ah the Groot/Hulk smashathon is going to be great

They better understand each other perfectly.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

counterfeitsaint posted:

One of my favorite things about the MCU is how everything is supposed to be happening in real time, because that's so drat simple. Every time someone suggests that they're moving away from that I roll my eyes and see the MCU creeping closer to the hopeless tangled clusterfuck that comics are with endless alternate timelines and time travel and dimensions. Being a comic book world, it's inevitable that's where the MCU will end up, but the longer they can stay away from that the longer it will stay coherent and successful.

Having this mostly disconnected movie randomly take place a few years out of sync with everything else isn't that bad, but it's a first step down a slippery slope. If they expect movie goers world wide to eventually keep track of multiple timelines in multiple universes like in actual comics, they're going to be disappointed. Also like in actual comics.

It's not nearly as bad as the Fast and Furious Cinematic Universe, where Tokyo Drift was present day when it came out but then they decided the next 3 movies over 7 years are actually prequels to it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Because Han was loving awesome

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oracle posted:

They better understand each other perfectly.

Hahah yeah thats all I want

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bring back old gbs posted:

Hahah yeah thats all I want

"I am Groot"

"Hulk Smash"

"I am Groot"

"Hulk SMASH!"

The MSJ